• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junie12

Indeed. They will get hacked sooner or later and here's a true story: I had a fellow GAFer remove his authenticator for 24 hours, so that I could try out the MoP-beta. Loe and behold, he got hacked - immediately.

Damn, that's just scary o_O

Hackers are a persistent bunch, or he must have some really good stuff in his account.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I like to imagine that there was some script just constantly running and checking to see if it could access the account. Day in and day out. Month after month.
These hackers should get a life. Seriously.

injurai

Banned
On SC2 you log in with your Bnet email anyway

Yeah, log in is through email+pass+authenticator

I think the battletag is just a unique name identifier so you don't have to give out any specific information. Unlike character specific friends ships It's an account friendship.

maharg

idspispopd
Having never been a WoW player, I don't understand why it's so notorious for 'hacking'? What is it about the WoW account system (these OTP devices aside) that renders it so ridiculously vulnerable to unauthorized access?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
All
Code:
-	Barbarian  Demon Hunter  Monk  Witch Doctor  Wizard
137        55           52        49       33         53

North America
Code:
29         34           42        36       22         38

Europe
Code:
8          17           9         10       9         11

disappointingly I plan to play DH first, but I kinda don't want to due to it's popularity now...:-/

i fear all multiplayer games will be chock full of DH

Kalnos

Banned
Indeed. They will get hacked sooner or later and here's a true story: I had a fellow GAFer remove his authenticator for 24 hours, so that I could try out the MoP-beta. Loe and behold, he got hacked - immediately.

I never had an authenticator attached to my account until a few weeks ago and I have never been compromised. The only reason I did it is because I'm on a 2-step authentication spree with Gmail, my bank, etc. That's all the way since Vanilla WoW, though B.NET accounts didn't exist until 2008(?).

You definitely always have a chance without one but I think ultimately it's mostly people falling for phishing and other things. With that said, if you have a smart phone there is absolutely no reason not to use it.

injurai

Banned
Having never been a WoW player, I don't understand why it's so notorious for 'hacking'? What is it about the WoW account system (these OTP devices aside) that renders it so ridiculously vulnerable to unauthorized access?

It's an insane cash cow If you set up gold farms... and accounts are expensive so farmers just hack them and use them until they get banned. Then they hack more accounts.

Damn, that's just scary o_O

Hackers are a persistent bunch, or he must have some really good stuff in his account.

I don't know what it is or how they would do it, but it really seems like there is some kind of system to know when people take authenticators off. So many stories I hear of people getting hacked are always soon after removing an authenticator for some reason.

It's probably blizzard to scare people into getting them. :p

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah after looking around, it appears I can just login to Diablo with the SC2 battle tag associated with my Bnet account. Nice.

If your battle.net account doesn't look like this, what are you even doing in this thread !?

1zN8e.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
di fear all multiplayer games will be chock full of DH
The match-making will find diversity in classes. The plan is to never group anyone with the same class in the same server.

It's an insane cash cow If you set up gold farms... and accounts are expensive so farmers just hack them and use them until they get banned. Then they hack more accounts.
Yeah but why are they so vulnerable is what he's saying. I don't fear my online banking is going to get hacked or my cc login.

maharg

idspispopd

I get why people *want* to, what I don't get is why it's so *vulnerable* that people feel the need to use something that used to be the domain of only the security departments of large corporations.

Ie. why is having a decently strong password not good enough.

injurai

Banned
I get why people *want* to, what I don't get is why it's so *vulnerable* that people feel the need to use something that used to be the domain of only the security departments of large corporations.

Keylogging is the major issue. People have easy ways of finding players that are connecting to the WoW servers, then they keylog them.

Yoshichan

I would love to know this as-well... is hacking a common this on Steam?

scy

I'd imagine it's mostly just from scam e-mails and other phishing things. The occasional WoW-centric virus or exploit kind of thing. I'd imagine proper password security and reasonable intelligence about scams will be good enough 99% of the time.

If your battle.net account doesn't look like this, what are you even doing in this thread !?

As I said, B.net accounts are not the same as Battle tags. I wasn't sure whether multiple tags could be associated with one and the same account.

But, as others have said, the answer's no. Which makes me a happy camper, being able to cross-game chat, etc.

I've actually never had my WoW account hacked but I have had steam hacked. Not sure how it even happend, but it was fixed pretty quickly. Luckily my payment info wasn't saved. Also I've had an authenticator on my bilzzard account for a long while so that helps.

Ferrio

Banned

Steam has a system inplace that won't let you log on unless you enter a code that's sent to your email.

As for why it's easy for hackers on WoW, I assume just brute fucking force. As well as social engineering, and plain ole compromised machines.

I've had quite a few guild members hacked. And atleast one that was hacked when he took of his authenticator for like a day.

My friend's girlfriend had her account hacked. He couldn't even figure out how. She had a really secure password (he's system admin/programmer, so he forces it on her), he searched her machine for any keyloggers and what not... found nothing. Not sure what happened to this day.

Kalnos

Banned

There isn't much money to made off of steam accounts (at least not in the same manner as WoW), unless you sell their TF2 hats. Encouraging the 2-step authentication with Steam Guard probably helps a ton as well.

Freki

Keyloggers basically don't care how strong a pw is - that's the problem.

Dresden

I'd imagine it's mostly just from scam e-mails and other phishing things. The occasional WoW-centric virus or exploit kind of thing. I'd imagine proper password security and reasonable intelligence about scams will be good enough 99% of the time.

It's probably the one of three or four "Your account is being investigated" emails that gets dumped in my spam box everyday that does the trick.

maharg

idspispopd
Keyloggers basically don't care how strong a pw is - that's the problem.

You know, if you have a keylogger on your machine you probably have bigger problems than your wow account getting hacked.

OTP just seems like such a ridiculously heavy-handed solution to this problem.

Ploid 3.0

http://i.imgur.com/1zN8e.pnMG][/QUOTE]

[img]http://i.picpar.com/d6bad507e37c209c4925da8c902135f94fcd9797.jpg

This will be my first Blizzard game, and I have only played SC2 because of the demo/starter edition, and Diablo 3 because of beta. I'm here because I like loot games, and Titan's Quest was said to be a poor man's Diablo and I loved Titan's Quest.

Oorah!

Well Steam does the email code every time you switch computers so they would need your email aswell. Also WoW they can just vendor all your items / trade them to their character within minutes while in Steam they could just play your games?

injurai

Banned
Diablo III |OT2| Authenticatored Undercores Only

You heard it here, better get those Authenticators

And Steam uses Steam Guard which not only identifies connections from different IP's, It uses a unique identification number that is associated with your computer's processor. Every time you log in from a new location your are emailed an access code that allows your account to be log into from that location. Blizzard should use this IMO.

scy

You know, if you have a keylogger on your machine you probably have bigger problems than your wow account getting hacked.

OTP just seems like such a ridiculously heavy-handed solution to this problem.

Probably is a bit excessive. I didn't really follow the authenticator business when it released so I can only guess but I wager there were just a lot of complaints about hacked accounts due to scams and other silly things. OTP is most likely overkill but it's peace of mind and gives Blizzard a, "Hacked account? No Authenticator? Sorry," response they can use.

Plus, $6.50 for the keyfob is mad merchandising money. $$.

spirity

I have never shared my account info with anyone. I never do in mmo's, never in the 12 years I've been playing them. In WoW, I rarely even grouped, and didn't even join a guild. I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to online stuff, so I've always had nod32 up to date, and have always ran spybot and ad-aware regularly, even going to the trouble of doing it in safe mode.

I let my WoW account lapse last year, and two months later I get hacked. I re-upped it a few months ago, Blizzard had returned all my gold and items but all my gear was broken.

I have no idea how it happened. By all accounts, it shouldn't have.

Ferrio

Banned
Probably is a bit excessive. I didn't really follow the authenticator business when it released so I can only guess but I wager there were just a lot of complaints about hacked accounts due to scams and other silly things. OTP is most likely overkill but it's peace of mind and gives Blizzard a, "Hacked account? No Authenticator? Sorry," response they can use..

They're good on helping people hacked, but I can't imagine the amount of time they waste on it.

profit

For the people who have an authenticator, dont remove it... EVER. I scan every pc/laptop I log into WoW, SC2 or just the battle.net site regularly. One day I removed it for a couple of hours, and bam! hacked!
Right after that they managed to get into my live account and purchased about 3000 points.
Lucky enough I was at work and I saw my email account getting the notifications that I purchases so many points, so I managed to contact every party involved and resolved the issue. The attacks on my accounts lasted for several days though, I think the person/program gave up like a week ago now.

i AM convinced to get an authenticator now but come on guys, some of you make it sound like if you do NOT have one you WILL get hacked as soon as you set up an account!

I mean it may be bad but THAT bad?

My gf and I played Wow for YEARS without getting hacked so it can't be THAT extreme hmm

scy

They're good on helping people hacked, but I can't imagine the amount of time they waste on it.

That's true, I suppose. And based off some of these reports, maybe there's just some other security flaw involved.

Honestly, it's a small amount of time to utilize it. It may be excessive but oh well. Plus, swag.

zlatko

Banned
i AM convinced to get an authenticator now but come on guys, some of you make it sound like if you do NOT have one you WILL get hacked as soon as you set up an account!

My gf and I played Wow for YEARS without getting hacked so it can't be THAT extreme hmm

Just get the dial in one and you're good to go.

Ferrio

Banned

No, it's not that bad but you do run the gamble without one.

Basically it comes down to this:

1. If you have IOS/android, get it. It's free, no reason not to. Entering the damn number takes... 10 seconds.

2. If you need to purchase the physical device, you need to weigh the potential of being hacked and losing items, and having your account locked up for X amount of days is worth 6 bucks.

Goldenhen

Extra protection for BNet account is have unique email account only used for Blizzard games. Don't use the same email address that you used everyday on internet as BNet account login.

injurai

Banned
Just get the dial in one and you're good to go.

No, it's not that bad but you do run the gamble without one.

Basically it comes down to this:

1. If you have IOS/android, get it. It's free, no reason not to. Entering the damn number takes... 10 seconds.

2. If you need to purchase the physical device, you need to weigh the potential of being hacked and losing items, and having your account locked up for X amount of days is worth 6 bucks.

Yeah, anyone can use the dial-in version even without a smartphone. Blizzard just wants you account secure, and they don't want to waste money on all the recovery operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom