• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

You know, if you have a keylogger on your machine you probably have bigger problems than your wow account getting hacked.

OTP just seems like such a ridiculously heavy-handed solution to this problem.

Uhm, not really. 10+million WoW subscribers mean a lucrative market for goldfarmers and hackers. When there are dozens of active and dangerous keyloggers/trojans out there that are dedicated only to steal Battle.Net accounts, you know it is something that should be taken care of.

It is not really exclusive to WoW either, many succesful MMO games offer Authenticator as that is an easy to set-up, cheap and almost completely safe tool for someone that values the time (sometimes months, years, half a decade in the case of WoW) that they have put into their accounts.

I have a WoW with 6+ years, an SCII collector and soon a D3 on my account - why risking to lose it when an authenticator costs like...5-10 bucks? Especially when we have bought it when more accounts could use one authenticator, and my girlfriend and me both use the same authenticator, so...

If I would be heavily investing into stuff like FFXIV or Aion, I would get authenticators there as well.

Also, you might have missed this, but there were scandals like premade PC-s coming with a "clean" installation of WinXp AND a preloaded WoW keylogger on them already, or flash critical errors that allowed trojans to be on sites like WoWhead or even Wow.com for a few hours, etc. This is not the usual safety concern, it is a bit more.

profit

i AM convinced to get an authenticator now but come on guys, some of you make it sound like if you do NOT have one you WILL get hacked as soon as you set up an account!

I mean it may be bad but THAT bad?

My gf and I played Wow for YEARS without getting hacked so it can't be THAT extreme hmm

Its not extremely bad, but as I previously said, I had my authenticator removed from my account for maybe 4 hours? And my battle.net account got hacked, and after that the mail account my battle.net account was linked to.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just another reminder for anyone who wants to avoid getting spoiled (it's getting worse the closer we get to the launch day)!
^This script hides all Youtube-comments. There will be spoilers on Youtube so you better to install this script!

This needs to be quotes as-well!
Apparently it's important for people that were in the beta to manually remove some files from their system before installing the full game.

http://blues.incgamers.com/Posts/11/1/47/877/160963/important-uninstall-the-beta

And this!
Just another warning/reminder.

You should really have a blizzard authenticator for this game. Either an IOS/Android version, or the actual physical generator. There's going to be *alot* of hacked accounts, and you don't want to be one of them. Your password, no matter how complex it is, isn't safe.

HenryHSH

This is the only time I'll ever want a weekend to end as quickly as possible.
KuGsj.gif

injurai

Banned
After having my WoW account hacked 3 times a few years ago I bought an authenticator... I've since switched over to the Android version (since I'd rather not carry around the little keychain dongle). I haven't had my account hacked since... then again, I haven't seriously played WoW in over 2 years.

HenryHSH

Never got into WoW, but their Armory page/site/whatever it is, is freaking awesome. Blizz needs to give us Diablo players something similar.

Said the same thing to a buddy of mine earlier. I dont even feel like playing anything else (but have plenty to play). Just feels like my buddy wants to do nothing but wait for Diablo 3.

I forced myself to finish ME3 last night, I had to walk away from my PC three times during the last mission. That shit bored me to tears. :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hahaha, I just checked my WoW EU account for fun (haven't logged in for 2 years)...

HACKED!

lol I don't even give a shit, take it scumbag nerds. Enjoy my level 60 vanilla rogue with Heartseeker/Barman Shanker-combo.

mbmonk

Its not extremely bad, but as I previously said, I had my authenticator removed from my account for maybe 4 hours? And my battle.net account got hacked, and after that the mail account my battle.net account was linked to.

Did you have the same password for both accounts?

Lanbeast

No, it's not that bad but you do run the gamble without one.

Basically it comes down to this:

1. If you have IOS/android, get it. It's free, no reason not to. Entering the damn number takes... 10 seconds.

2. If you need to purchase the physical device, you need to weigh the potential of being hacked and losing items, and having your account locked up for X amount of days is worth 6 bucks.

It's on Windows Phone as well.

Ferrio

Banned
lol I don't even give a shit, take it scumbag nerds. Enjoy my level 60 vanilla rogue with Heartseeker/Barman Shanker-combo.

Wow.... that brings back memories. I remember when that shanker was the best rogue weapon period. I farmed that little bastard so much for it.

LordCanti

unggggh, almost done with work, then I get the weekend, the one more day, then D3!!!

How hype?

So hype.

I'm so hype that I'm considering spending $60 for the digital version with no guarantee that I'll be able to sell it when my collectors edition gets delivered.

The only remaining question is how I will justify that $60 to myself if I have to eat it.

Damn guest passes are just the beta content it turns out, according to a polish Blizzard forum mod or something. I've run out of other ways to play this at midnight and still get the CE.

injurai

Banned
I'm so hype that I'm considering spending $60 for the digital version with no guarantee that I'll be able to sell it when my collectors edition gets delivered.

The only remaining question is how I will justify that $60 to myself if I have to eat it.

Damn guest passes are just the beta content it turns out, according to a polish Blizzard forum mod or something. I've run out of other ways to play this at midnight and still get the CE.

Don't, get the book of Cain instead.

Yoshichan

Wow.... that brings back memories. I remember when that shanker was the best rogue weapon period. I farmed that little bastard so much for it.
Yeah definitely rogues best in slot off-hand!
It's probably gone and banned. Never to be seen again.
'tis a shame!

Lombax

Banned
2012_05_11_15_12_36_63.jpg

to those questioning getting an authenticator let me tell you a quick story.
A few years back [Lich King time-frame] I logged into my WoW account to play my Death Knight. To my surprise when i logged in he was not at the Inn I had left him at, rather he was hanging out at a mailbox with about 3000g in his pockets [I had nowhere near this much the night before] My account had gotten hacked, and I am about 90% sure I logged in during the middle of a gold transfer. I logged out, went to the blizzard store and ordered an authenticator, the next day my account was frozen by Blizzard and it took over a week to sort out the entire thing with phone calls and emails. It ended up being a massive pain in the ass, and I was LUCKY nothing major was done to my characters.
At this point you can get a free authenticator for iOS and Android so there is no excuse.

Yoshichan

It was their best primary if i remember right. Due to how attack speed worked with abilities. Caused ambush and backstab damage to be insane.
Weird, I remember Heartseeker being the best main hand weapon while Barman was the best off-hand... I might be wrong though, it was a looooong time ago XD

HenryHSH

Ever since I created a battle.net account. I get phishing email saying that my account got compromised and they need me to login to confirm that I'm the owner. ._.

edit: Actually they specifically say that my WoW account has been compromised. You know, the account that I don't have.

I'm trying to come up with the best method to play sick on Tuesday for work. Thinking about going in Monday and just complaining to my boss, I have a weekly one-on-one meeting with her every Monday so I think I'm gonna go into that half dead and mention off the cuff that I'm feeling under the weather. Late Monday night I'll send her an email that I need to take a sick day and then call around 9 in the morning to confirm it's all alright. I really just hope no huge projects come up on Monday that fuck up my plans :-o.

Yoshichan

/(O_O)--> out
Don't quote that for fucks sake, just completely ignore that post until he spoiler tags it himself.

edit: GUYS, DON'T FUCKING QUOTE HIS POST. HOLY SHIT.

scy

It was their best primary if i remember right. Due to how attack speed worked with abilities. Caused ambush and backstab damage to be insane. Least until that stuff was normalized.

For a (short) period of time, there was the fun glitch with macros that let you Ambush/Backstab with any weapon. Good times.

Think it was around the same time as the stacking +Damage exploit from the +Random Damage craftable equipment.

profit

Hahaha, I just checked my WoW EU account for fun (haven't logged in for 2 years)...

HACKED!

Do you play WoW on the NA servers then Yoshi?

injurai said:
Anyone that uses Steam

I just created a public group called DiabloGAF. Go check it out and join. I'll post this every so often to get the word out. Falcon maybe you could even edit the OT with the information.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DiabloGAF
Great idea! I invited myself.

ShaneB

A few years back [Lich King time-frame] I logged into my WoW account to play my Death Knight. To my surprise when i logged in he was not at the Inn I had left him at, rather he was hanging out at a mailbox with about 3000g in his pockets [I had nowhere near this much the night before] My account had gotten hacked, and I am about 90% sure I logged in during the middle of a gold transfer. I logged out, went to the blizzard store and ordered an authenticator, the next day my account was frozen by Blizzard and it took over a week to sort out the entire thing with phone calls and emails. It ended up being a massive pain in the ass, and I was LUCKY nothing major was done to my characters.
At this point you can get a free authenticator for iOS and Android so there is no excuse.

That lovely penmanship again!

Yes people, authenticators are great. My WoW account was hacked years ago and I bought a physical authenticator. Nice and handy.

Almost the weekend, bunch of stuff planned to keep busy, and then Tuesday will be here before I know it.

What is the this autheniticator crap...? I just want to play sp diablo...I know the game is always online etc...but this stuff irritates me somewhat...it seems like there is more bullshit as time goes by...diablo games are decent fun for me, I have never been a massive fan, I just want to play the damn game with minimum fuss

I am not sure if it the authenticator stuff is worth it for me anyway...since I am not that likely to play the game more than once...pity the security in this one will mean no item editor...

scy

So, did you get to keep the Gold?

What is the this autheniticator crap...? I just want to play sp diablo...I know the game is always online etc...but this stuff irritates me somewhat...it seems like there is more bullshit as time goes by...diablo games are decent fun for me, I have never been a massive fan, I just want to play the damn game with minimum fuss

Then just play the game, I guess? The Authenticator is an anti-hacking measure. It's for extra security. If you feel comfortable with just your password, you can go ahead and skip it I guess. It's a free app (or a $6.50 keyfob) and it adds maybe 30s to your login time once a week or so.

Yoshichan

Do you play WoW on the NA servers then Yoshi?
I certainly do, sir :) I only played EU version for 6 months, I've been playing on NA since 2005. I couldn't take the amount of bullshit immature piece of shits on WoW EU servers, unfortunately :(
Nope other way around. The shanker's 2.0 speed caused it to have crazy ambush damage.
Thanks for the reminder man! Nostalgia-trip :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom