• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Se7en!

What do I win :3?

You, my biped fellow, get the legendary :

tumblr_ls4vyvSYPN1qapjw4o1_500.png

Calidor

I decided long ago that I will be playing a Hardcore Wizard the second I hit level 10. I played for years on softcore in D2 and only moved to HC the last 2-3y or so, and I already knew everything about the game.

This time however, seems 10x times more exciting to go straight into HC with all fresh and new. I've been avoiding every spoiler so I don't even know what items are out there. I plan to play the game slow and carefully, exploring everything and getting more satisfaction for each level, boss and act completed. Also the community always has been more nice/mature on HC (no RMAH is a good plus as well).

now question is, which class will get me to level 10 the fastest? Judging from what I played on the beta, I'll say either Barb or Monk.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
now question is, which class will get me to level 10 the fastest? Judging from what I played on the beta, I'll say either Barb or Monk.
Barbarian. That's a fact. Bash -> Cleave -> Hammer of the Ancients

I decided long ago that I will be playing a Hardcore Wizard the second I hit level 10. I played for years on softcore in D2 and only moved to HC the last 2-3y or so, and I already knew everything about the game.

This time however, seems 10x times more exciting to go straight into HC with all fresh and new. I've been avoiding every spoiler so I don't even know what items are out there. I plan to play the game slow and carefully, exploring everything and getting more satisfaction for each level, boss and act completed. Also the community always has been more nice/mature on HC (no RMAH is a good plus as well).

Even if they're the fastest I couldn't imagine making a melee character as your first HC character especially without knowing anything about the game. It's all about the pet classes for that first time.

Suairyu

Banned
I completely understand you. Going through D2 solo can be sluggish if it's your first time... if you're not enjoying it then you shouldn't keep playing (although the game gets A LOT better in act 4 and 5). Can't you just watch some videos on Youtube?
But then I'd miss out on the seeing all the repeated art and listening to Deckard Cain talk agonisingly slowly about lore!

Tacitus_

Coming towards the end of Act III in Diablo II, and I am fast reaching a depressing conclusion:

Compared to Diablo I and (what I've played of) III, Diablo II is just not a good solo experience at all. Repetitive and dull. The random maps are just series after series of box-shaped mazes, the enemies are all weak, only becomes challenging once they appear in group large enough to be armies in themselves...

I think, worst of all, the moment-to-moment gameplay lacks either the cautious challenge of Diablo I or the tactical fun of Diablo III.

I'm still stupidly hyped for III, because that beta was awesome, but it's going to be a slog to finish up II.

Act 2 is boring and the jungle of Act 3 is annoying. Act 4 and 5 are a lot better.

Calidor

Even if they're the fastest I couldn't imagine making a melee character as your first HC character especially without knowing anything about the game. It's all about the pet classes for that first time.

Of course not! That's why I said I'm making a Wizard in HC mode :)

My question was, to get lvl 10 on SC as fastest as possible

Cru Jones

Man, us gamers in EST are getting the shaft. We're getting the game last and it isn't practical, at least for me, to stay up until 3am to START playing the game.

Suairyu

Banned
What's that website that has all the gaming tropes? Not TVTropes. The one that has the page "fucking bats". Because that's what act III of Diablo II is. Fucking bats. Those blowgun enemies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
But then I'd miss out on the seeing all the repeated art and listening to Deckard Cain talk agonisingly slowly about lore!
Act 4 and 5 has amazing art direction though... in fact, I think it's worth going through the mess that is act 3, just for those two final acts.

Of course not! That's why I said I'm making a Wizard in HC mode :)

My question was, to get lvl 10 on SC as fastest as possible

Oh right... I still think you could get away with any class and just level up in a co-op game with all the new people. Getting to Leoric sets you up at level 10 on your first run through.

LordCanti

The longer Wal-Mart's pre-orders stay in stock, the more I think that the CE isn't going to be rare at all and that I should just cancel it.

This is probably the "I can't play at 2am FML" madness talking though.

injurai

Banned

There is something still relaxing about playing D2 solo. Almost like meditating, your playing just for yourself and the reward is purely intrinsic.
Act 2 is boring and the jungle of Act 3 is annoying. Act 4 and 5 are a lot better.

Act 2 hate makes me sad, I have always been a sucker for mysterious desert themes.

Yoshichan

Hrm, really?

I might just use HeroEditor and buff myself stupid to get through Act III, then.
Absolutely. The overall layout and art direction of (especially) act 4 and 5 is ridiculous. It's perfectly paced, the map-layout makes complete sense and it doesn't have (as many) "repetitive" dungeons as act 2/3.

scy

I dunno, Monk has enough heals and plenty of Damage Resistance. Plus we get to cheat death and actually _die_ in Hardcore!

...okay, Witch Doctors get that too.

Hrm, really?

I might just use HeroEditor and buff myself stupid to get through Act III, then.

If you do go down the hero editor route just give yourself the last two act III way points. That's all you really need and then you can go off to act IV.

I dunno, Monk has enough heals and plenty of Damage Resistance. Plus we get to cheat death and actually _die_ in Hardcore!

...okay, Witch Doctors get that too.

Yeah but one day you're going to run into some regular mobs in a new act and BAM iron maiden and you're dead.

Freki

Considering your presence in the D3 OT I would like to beg otherwise.

I'll do it for two semlor, gafmate-rebate

I prepared her for D3 for over 3 years now - she is fully supportive of the fact that I will be gaming for 6 days straight :-D

Yoshichan

From awhile ago:

So I can't play release night via the Starter Edition? Hooray, more sleep for me!
Apparantly not :(...

Kiraly

I hope people's CE show up on the 14th (each with 3 guestpasses) and a kind soul is willing to give me one, so I can play some Diablo III at midnight before rushing out the following morning to pick up my retail copy

RE: hacking accounts and authenticator

I played D2 for a decade and never got hacked, ever. Not one time did any of my accounts EVER get hacked, period. Why? Because I didn't give anyone my password and I didn't click on any shady links. It's stunning to me how many people get hacked and 9/10 times it's because you clicked on a spoof e-mail.

scy

Yeah but one day you're going to run into some regular mobs in a new act and BAM iron maiden and you're dead.

I do agree with you on it being more dangerous (especially since Iron Maiden will be inevitable). Just think Monk won't be _that_ bad as a Hardcore character. At least, not that bad as far as Inferno is concerned since we can die.

^ you can, if someone is kind enough to give you a guest pass from their CE :p

Any box copy so I guess those at midnight launches can share the wealth (+ the ones who got their copies early).

This could be dangerous.

Yoshichan

I played D2 for a decade and never got hacked, ever. Not one time did any of my accounts EVER get hacked, period. Why? Because I didn't give anyone my password and I didn't click on any shady links. It's stunning to me how many people get hacked and 9/10 times it's because you clicked on a spoof e-mail.
I've never been hacked in my entire life. Except for my B.net account, same thing with my brother. So yeah...

scy

...all this talk about hacked accounts makes me wonder if my WoW account is okay.

Edit: Neat, my account is banned!

I thought the same thing in WoW and it still happened. Never had an account hacked in diablo 2 and warcraft 3 and I even used stupid passwords like abc123 for battle.net. World of warcraft account had 20 character password in 2 different languages.

Yoshichan

...all this talk about hacked accounts makes me wonder if my WoW account is okay.
It's probably not okay. I checked my old EU WoW account yesterday and it was also hacked... I don't give a shit though :lol

edit: see? I told you :3

MedIC86

Not really, my D2 account was never hacked but my WoW account was. The weirdest thing was that i never had a subscription at that time. Also i have good virus scanner and never click on weird emails or other untrusted stuff. Sometimes they do get acces without keyloggers or stuff.

what was even weirder was that they took my 50 something rogue, and leveled it up to 85, including mounts and skills, but they took nothing of my other chars like gold or items

I've never been hacked in my entire life. Except for my B.net account, same thing with my brother. So yeah...

Yeah to extend that a little further beyond bnet and Blizzard games... I've never been hacked in anything ever, not one time and I've been on the internet since I was a little kid in the mid 90s. Not ONE time hacked ever. E-mail addresses, accounts to hundreds of sites, paypal, ebay, every game that's ever needed a login/pass, AIM, facebook, myspace, you name it. Not one time. Of course saying this now probably means I'll get hacked.

scy

Yeah to extend that a little further beyond bnet and Blizzard games... I've never been hacked in anything ever, not one time and I've been on the internet since I was a little kid in the mid 90s. Not ONE time hacked ever. E-mail addresses, accounts to hundreds of sites, paypal, ebay, every game that's ever needed a login/pass, AIM, facebook, myspace, you name it. Not one time. Of course saying this now probably means I'll get hacked.

Same, up to my WoW account here. I haven't played for several years though so it was at least a year after I quit playing.

Guess they got to enjoy pre-WotLK epic raid loot for their gold farming?!

theta11

Man, us gamers in EST are getting the shaft. We're getting the game last and it isn't practical, at least for me, to stay up until 3am to START playing the game.

I feel you but my master plan is pick the game up at midnight and head straight to bed and nap for 2 hours then wake up fresh and play from 3am until I pass the hell out. Which will probably be sometime early on Thursday.

Raide

It was not really account hacking that was the issue in D2, it was hacked character and servers. WoW is where the account stealing started, since there was way more money in that.

Cru Jones

I feel you but my master plan is pick the game up at midnight and head straight to bed and nap for 2 hours then wake up fresh and play from 3am until I pass the hell out. Which will probably be sometime early on Thursday.

I would do the same except I have to work my 8-5 each and every weekday lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom