• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Island

It's almost surreal reading this thread.

We are all waiting for the same thing but we all live in different places around the world... and yes we are are united (to defeat Evil!)

Sothpaw

I was one of those people, "I've never been hacked, never will". Then one day I do get hacked and 10 of my 10 toons was stripped of everything! I did eventually get everything back, but I so bought one of those authenticators and haven't had a problem since.

Ditto. The day authenticators came out I bought one and have never had trouble since. People who think they are safe without one are just fooling themselves.

Nowadays it's a simple matter of opening a free program on my droid every once in a while. No reason to not protect yourself.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
IMPORTANT INFO!
If you've pre-downloaded the digital version of the game in EU English or German before 10:00 AM CEST (9:00 AM GMT) on Saturday May 12, you must obtain the new downloaders to be able to install properly once the game is released on May 15. We apologize for the inconvenience, and ask that you please let friends and acquaintances know so they can begin downloading the working installer that's now available.
(installers in the link) http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4410912/

Just another reminder for anyone who wants to avoid getting spoiled (it's getting worse the closer we get to the launch day)!
^This script hides all Youtube-comments. There will be spoilers on Youtube so you better to install this script!

This needs to be quotes as-well!
Apparently it's important for people that were in the beta to manually remove some files from their system before installing the full game.

http://blues.incgamers.com/Posts/11/1/47/877/160963/important-uninstall-the-beta

And this!
Just another warning/reminder.

You should really have a blizzard authenticator for this game. Either an IOS/Android version, or the actual physical generator. There's going to be *alot* of hacked accounts, and you don't want to be one of them. Your password, no matter how complex it is, isn't safe.

Please, please, for the love of God, read back just a few pages. Look after the issue. The "I have never been hacked before" is NOT a defense against attacks that are specifically going after your WoW/D3 accounts. If you are an expert, you surely did not miss all the news regarding the attacks made specifically for stealing WoW accounts.

Dude I was just like you until my WOW account got hacked...

Just do it

I use good passwords (and rotated them fairly often), didn't share my account, and I'd like to think I'm not an idiot. My WoW account was apparently hacked.

And it's definitely more prevalent with WoW and other MMOS than Diablo 2. Hell, I don't even think there were that many in D2 since it was mostly hacked/duped items.

Edit: For what it's worth, my WoW account getting hacked would also be my first hacked account.

I was one of those people, "I've never been hacked, never will". Then one day I do get hacked and 10 of my 10 toons was stripped of everything! I did eventually get everything back, but I so bought one of those authenticators and haven't had a problem since.

Sigh... FINE I'll get it. I still think the vast majority of these hacks are from idiots who don't hover over text links and just blindly click and get owned by spoof sites. You would think that someone who's been on the Internet for I dunno 15-20 years and has never been hacked once is not a coincidence? How can they hack your account? You have to do something stupid for it to happen, you have to make a mistake and more often than not that mistake is clicking on a spoof e-mail.

But yes, I will take your advice and get the authenticator. Thanks (really).

scy

They don't even need to hack you. Tons of databases have been hacked so if you use a non-unique password you may be ask risk. I'm not sure why if you are in internet veteran as you say would you not want to use additional account security especially since it's free.

On that note, checking my B.net account was my first use of the Authenticator. Find phone, unlock phone, find app, wait for the number, punch in the number, oh god so many steps!

...oh, right, that took 10 seconds. Doesn't seem like it's going to be a hassle unless I tossed my phone in a ditch somewhere and left it for dead.

Sigh... FINE I'll get it. I still think the vast majority of these hacks are from idiots who don't hover over text links and just blindly click and get owned by spoof sites. You would think that someone who's been on the Internet for I dunno 15-20 years and has never been hacked once is not a coincidence? How can they hack your account? You have to do something stupid for it to happen, you have to make a mistake and more often than not that mistake is clicking on a spoof e-mail.

But yes, I will take your advice and get the authenticator. Thanks (really).

Most of them probably are from people clicking things they shouldn't. But, to put it in perspective, I quit WoW back in early 2008 and my account was last used well into 2009. I'm pretty sure I'd have managed to keep myself away from WoW spoofs and phishing attempts when I wasn't even interested in playing the game during that period.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't regret buying the authenticator one second.

Xdrive05

I'm also an internet "leet" who was hacked. Neildegrasstysonbadass.gif. Steam account. Anyway, I have an authenticator for BOTH my bnet and my email account. ;)

Come hack me bros.

Yoshichan

A lot of these tracks are new to me. The beta only cycled through like 1 or 2 of these pieces for me.. :(
o.o I've heard all of them in-game though... that's pretty odd. I was in the beta since the start though, that might be why I've heard them perhaps?

scy

Well the one you just have to send a text message once a week is free, right? That would be the one I get.

The mobile version of iPhone/Android is an app you run and it gives you a number to input when the game asks for it. Takes about 10 seconds unless you don't know where your phone is, I guess.

You can set it to ask you every time but it should be once every few logins where it'll ask for you to get a number to input.

They don't even need to hack you. Tons of databases have been hacked so if you use a non-unique password you may be ask risk. I'm not sure why if you are in internet veteran as you say would you not want to use additional account security especially since it's free.

What are the odds that Blizzard's database servers get hacked in that manner? To me it's akin to getting a fallout kit for a future nuclear holocaust. Sure, it's possible but the odds are slim to none.

I'm getting the authenticator per your advice, but I'm just saying...

LProtag

I got the dial in authenticator just now, but I just realized it says it only requires it after suspicious activity.

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?

The mobile version of iPhone/Android is an app you run and it gives you a number to input when the game asks for it. Takes about 10 seconds unless you don't know where your phone is, I guess.

You can set it to ask you every time but it should be once every few logins where it'll ask for you to get a number to input.

Is a smartphone required for this? I have a 3-4 year old crap phone that I don't think can run apps. It's not android or iphone.

I hope I can run this game on my laptop.. I exceed all the requirements but my video card is shit.

ATI Radeon HD 4250

cross your fingers I can get it to run at all.

Max

I am not Max
Why is this here? I didn't buy it... (Waiting for CE)

5vMyT.png

Acidote

What are the odds that Blizzard's database servers get hacked in that manner? To me it's akin to getting a fallout kit for a future nuclear holocaust. Sure, it's possible but the odds are slim to none.

Get the authenticator, wow accounts get hacked by the thousands. Literally.

scy

He's saying that some other website/forum/e-mail/whatever gets hacked and gets your password from that. There's tons of those floating around. It's only an issue if you use non-unique passwords though.

Seriously though, it's a (practically) no hassle thing for the authenticator and it reduces your chance to getting hacked to basically needing a horribly, horribly compromised system or some real targeted dedication (e.g., man in the middle attacks).

Is a smartphone required for this? I have a 3-4 year old crap phone that I don't think can run apps. It's not android or iphone.

There's the dial-in option. Or buying one of the physical keyfob authenticators.

Or I guess just going without it and hoping you can inevitably say that you told us so :x

Yoshichan

rybrad

I don't get the Youtube comment blocking things. When I don't want to read comments I just don't look or scroll down. Are you guys just getting that because of limited willpower or is there some other reason I am missing here?

Sophia

I don't get the Youtube comment blocking things. When I don't want to read comments I just don't look or scroll down. Are you guys just getting that because of limited willpower or is there some other reason I am missing here?

At 1920x1080, the comments (User and top) comments can easily be seen below the video by default.

I don't have one. Maybe it's just for beta players?

If you played in the Open beta/stress test and don't have the annual pass, you have the Starter Edition automatically.

Yoshichan

When you're an active Youtuber (like me), you automatically scroll down to check the latest comments, as-well as the highest rated comments.

Yoshichan

Hm, free edition? Some form of demo after 30 days then?

Blizz droppin' hooks
Yep, just like SC2 and WoW, D3 will also get a free (and very limited) edition. It'll be available 30 days after launch.

Riggs

Banned
You better feel bad! Go through all of them!

:lol I actually don't feel ok, I've felt bad since yesterday :3 been trying to catch up with sleep but I really can't. I go to bed and wake up 2 hours later because some asshole calls me (explaining their D3 hype to me)... like wtf :(
Bro get some sleep we will hold down the thread for you. Get some sleeeep!

Yoshichan

Bro get some sleep we will hold down the thread for you. Get some sleeeep!
At this point I'm not even tired... I tried lying in bed for 30 minutes but it didn't work. I'm just very dizzy right now, but it's fine as long as I'm sitting down (and not doing crazy head-movements) :3.

LordCanti

I think you can play for 7 hours before it disables.

I guess I shouldn't repeat what I've heard without sources, but I could have sworn someone said it's an unlimited demo, with only the beta content and a level 13 cap, that can't be played until 30 days after the game launches.

Can anyone (re)confirm?

Yep, just like SC2 and WoW, D3 will also get a free (and very limited) edition. It'll be available 30 days after launch.

Yep, that's what I thought.

Only those with guest passes will be playing starter at midnight on launch. I'm going to have to do some guest pass begging...

He's saying that some other website/forum/e-mail/whatever gets hacked and gets your password from that. There's tons of those floating around. It's only an issue if you use non-unique passwords though.

Seriously though, it's a (practically) no hassle thing for the authenticator and it reduces your chance to getting hacked to basically needing a horribly, horribly compromised system or some real targeted dedication (e.g., man in the middle attacks).

There's the dial-in option. Or buying one of the physical keyfob authenticators.

Or I guess just going without it and hoping you can inevitably say that you told us so :x

Done! Signed up the dial-in authenticator, it only took a couple minutes. Sorry for being an ass, I'm just a skeptic.

scy

Just to clarify: It'll be available at launch for those with a Guest Pass. After 30 days, it's available to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom