• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If nephalem valor stacks like crazy in HC it has to be one of the best game mechanics ever.

It is really a genius mechanic that solves a big issue with the genre. When people want to discuss new innovations in the genre Neph Valor should be one of the things brought up for sure. D2's end game was just killing the bosses over and over, joining baal run-47 or chaos run-43 or solo'ing bosses repeatedly. That was the entire end game of Diablo 2. You didn't explore the world and different areas, you just rushed to the bosses and killed them. Neph Valor has completely changed that.

99%

BEWARE GUYS BEWARE

I just got a scam email about the need to redownload the client.

@email.blizzard.com

All the more reason to have an authenticator.

maharg

idspispopd
Or you could just be like any other sane person on the internet and not trust random emails that tell you to do things that are obviously scams.

maharg

idspispopd
It is really a genius mechanic that solves a big issue with the genre. When people want to discuss new innovations in the genre Neph Valor should be one of the things brought up for sure. D2's end game was just killing the bosses over and over, joining baal run-47 or chaos run-43 or solo'ing bosses repeatedly. That was the entire end game of Diablo 2. You didn't explore the world and different areas, you just rushed to the bosses and killed them. Neph Valor has completely changed that.

.. Or people will find a way to game it just like they do everything else. I'm not sure why the length of the boss-run makes a difference to the fact that it's a boss-run.

Freki

BEWARE GUYS BEWARE

I just got a scam email about the need to redownload the client.

@email.blizzard.com

All the more reason to have an authenticator.

Might not be a scam:

We became aware of an issue affecting the previously available German and EU English versions of the digital install downloader for Diablo III, which would not download all the necessary files. If you've pre-downloaded the digital version of the game in these languages before 10:00 AM CEST (9:00 AM GMT) on Saturday May 12, you must obtain the new downloaders to be able to install properly once the game is released on May 15. We apologize for the inconvenience, and ask that you please let friends and acquaintances know so they can begin downloading the working installer that's now available.
1. Obtain the new Diablo III digital downloader using the links below

2. Point the download save at the same directory as before

3. If you chose the correct directory only around 65MB will need to be downloaded to fix your install, otherwise you'll re-download the entire ~7.6GB
source

wwlnd

Banned

Yes! I just hope that they don't make it really weak because user-friendliness/casuals.

scy

.. Or people will find a way to game it just like they do everything else. I'm not sure why the length of the boss-run makes a difference to the fact that it's a boss-run.

The bigger thing is that it promotes killing things between waypoint and boss rather than just getting to the boss.

99%

Boss runs wont be the best and only way to get drops ot seems. Hunting down packs of elites will be rewarding, this will also be more fun then only doing 5 min runs in the same area I think.

But youre right that people will find some optimum place to farm anyhoo.

How will they game it?

The length includes exploring areas to kill champs and elites for drops. Having the end result still be a boss kill doesn't negate the fact that the process to get there is different and adds much needed variety to your item finding.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I wouldn't click on that anyway.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

The only way to game it is to use it as intended. You only get the buff by killing random elite mobs.

Freki

Oh I know you need a new client, just that this email is bogus.

Ah - I see...

As a general advice - never use links in mails - even if they seem legit - always go directly to the site and get your informations/data there.

Killing Mephisto in D2 entailed:

1) taking the waypoint to Durance of Hate level 2

2) teleporting/running as fast as you can past all the monsters to find the entrance to level 3

3) teleporting/running past the travincal elites at entrance to level 3

4) killing mephisto

5) repeat

With Neph Valor there's actual incentive to explore the levels and kill other mobs rather than just rushing to the boss and ignoring everything else. Such a big addition to the game, kudos to whoever thought of it. This will help with the repetitiveness of end game greatly.

KorrZ

2) teleporting/running as fast as you can past all the monsters to find the entrance to level 3

4) killing mephisto

5) repeat

With Neph Valor there's actual incentive to explore the levels and kill other mobs rather than just rushing to the boss and ignoring everything else. Such a big addition to the game, kudos to whoever thought of it.

I feel like this is one of those things that's going to be great for the first couple months...but the 500th time you're running each of these areas you're going to miss just being able to rush to the boss.

PFcxZ.png

El Diablo!

It's going to turn into where can you find 5 packs of elites most commonly closest together and then a boss, its inevitable in these kinds of games.

scy

I feel like this is one of those things that's going to be great for the first couple months...but the 500th time you're running each of these areas you're going to miss just being able to rush to the boss.

What's going to happen is probably finding the first Champion/Unique, killing it, and then rushing the boss. Or just rushing the boss and dealing with it.

Edit: Or just dealing with longer runs for better loot chances rather than shorter runs with worse loot chances.

Ainaurdur

I got an email just over a week ago claiming to be an invite to the Mists of Pandaria beta. Every link in it was legitimate except for the one asking me to enter my info on. It's kinda sad, but I can imagine them tricking many simpletons out there. It even had proper english in the body of the message!

Ashodin

4) killing mephisto

5) repeat

With Neph Valor there's actual incentive to explore the levels and kill other mobs rather than just rushing to the boss and ignoring everything else. Such a big addition to the game, kudos to whoever thought of it. This will help with the repetitiveness of end game greatly.
WTF Bro? Be a Barbarian, and Leap Attack directly over the portal to Hell to Mephisto.

True, but if the elites/champs really do drop as good possible loot as the bosses then it shouldn't really matter. You can also do all different areas not just 1 or 2 same ones. Could probably even do act 1 since you're just building up the magic find % number.

It's going to turn into where can you find 5 packs of elites most commonly closest together and then a boss, its inevitable in these kinds of games.

This is true and something I'm sure Blizz would address in a balance update. It would be a pretty easy thing to change too... just make the elite spawn different.

Majine

Banned
I got an email just over a week ago claiming to be an invite to the Mists of Pandaria beta. Every link in it was legitimate except for the one asking me to enter my info on. It's kinda sad, but I can imagine them tricking many simpletons out there. It even had proper english in the body of the message!

Huh. But now that I'm checking my mailbox, I did get a "Blizzard Insider" mail from the same adress.

LowParry

Best way around it is, check your battle.net account.

KorrZ

What's going to happen is probably finding the first Champion/Unique, killing it, and then rushing the boss. Or just rushing the boss and dealing with it.

Edit: Or just dealing with longer runs for better loot chances rather than shorter runs with worse loot chances.

Is there a cap on MF? I'm curious if eventually with enough magic find, you would be able to hit the cap with just 1 elite kill and then rush to the boss. So many mysteries still!

Heavy said:
True, but if the elites/champs really do drop as good possible loot as the bosses then it shouldn't really matter. You can also do all different areas not just 1 or 2 same ones. Could probably even do act 1 since you're just building up the magic find % number.

Yeah, I know hopefully on Inferno it won't matter what area you run, the loot should be good either way. But no matter what, after awhile you're going to have seen every area 50 billion times if you consistently play the game.

RPGCrazied

Probably won't need it Blizzard usually has a lot of graphic tweaking in its options. I just hope it has some sort of in game AA.

ShaneB

Sigh, after being solid for weeks, now is when my internet decides to turn to absolute shit. If it's still like this on tuesday I'll be pissed.

maharg

idspispopd
How will they game it?

The length includes exploring areas to kill champs and elites for drops. Having the end result still be a boss kill doesn't negate the fact that the process to get there is different and adds much needed variety to your item finding.

By finding an area of the game more likely to spawn rares and elites and then marching off to a boss to take advantage of it.

It's not like Baal and Pindle were the only places in D2 where you could get good drops, they were just the easiest to min/max time vs. reward, not to mention doing something over and over again means you get better at doing it. I think it's delusional to think there won't be something similar in D3.

scy

They aren't?! I don't understand.
Fill me in please :p

Champions/Uniques drop better loot. Nephalem Valor makes bosses on par with them. Basically, you'll want to kill Champions/Uniques primarily for loot and use Nephalem Valor to make a boss just another Champion/Unique, basically.

Edit: The only iffy part is that the buff adds an extra item drop (i.e., it goes from 2 item drops to 3). Maybe that'll be enough to make bosses worth it but it'll still be due to the buff first and foremost.

I never played D2 online. If my buddy and I start a new game and one of us selects a quest, do we both get it? Will we see the same cutscenes as well?

Thanks.

99%

Also did anyone notice that the SK dropped one yellow only on your first run?

Any yellows after that only came from other mobs.

Even if it's only killing X boss Y amount of times over and over again the one change I appreciate is private drops. Now group mf is going to be viable and even if you get poopie drops your buddies can always hand off the loot they get for your class.

maharg

idspispopd
I never played D2 online. If my buddy and I start a new game and one of us selects a quest, do we both get it? Will we see the same cutscenes as well?

Thanks.

Yeah. But you sometimes have to be really careful to both be in the same place to get the quest triggers. Especially the end-of-act ones. If one of you TPs in the middle of an andarial fight, for eg., only the one down there will get into Act 2 if she dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom