• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told them you said hi, they told me to tell you that they miss you a lot and that they can't wait till come visit us again ♥ !

edit: it truly is a special day today. Not that much hype (yet), but I've prepared A LOT of stuff - this includes telling everyone goodbye etc :3

Lol amazing I should do the same. " Goodbye loved ones, for I am going to a better place....a place of Diablo"

Tambini

So are you guys gonna play this solo or co op first? All my friends are console players or don't like dungeon crawlers so it will be a solo run for me first, then co op the hell out of it.

Raide

So are you guys gonna play this solo or co op first? All my friends are console players or don't like dungeon crawlers so it will be a solo run for me first, then co op the hell out of it.

Solo until Normal is done, just so I can get all the story stuff done. Then a mix of solo and co-op for more levelling and different classes.

LordCanti

I was going to co-op from the start, but since I can't play till UPS arrives on the 15th, I guess I'll just solo level as quick as humanly possible and rejoin the co-op pool once I've caught up.

Save low level Demon Hunter gear for me, midnight players ;_;

Co-op all the way. Also seems safer in Hardcore mode.

If you trust your HC partners anyway. If it means saving their own asses, I could see them leaving you out to dry while they town portal to safety :p

Haunted

Damage. Generally speaking, think of that number (or those numbers, I should say) as the average damage the weapon will do per (regular) swing/shot/etc. Each swing would land somewhere in the damage range given (1-10 for instance, could be a 1, could be a 10, etc). That's my understanding anyway.

DPS is a formula with damage, attacks per second, and some other stuff (main stat for instance, gems, etc) figured in.
I hate that.

Anyone know the percentages for the attack speed? Slow/Normal/Fast

iirc, I was annoyed that I never knew if a 20dmg axe with slow speed is better than a 15dmg sword with normal speed or a 10dmg dagger with fast speed (or something along those lines). I thought they took care of that and made it immediately obvious which weapon does more damage with that big number.

rCIZZLE

At least no TPPK in D3. Hardcore co-op is usually pretty safe. I think it's a terrible choice for your first run through ever... I saved my HC runs for when I was bored with the current ladder season (god I hope this carries over into D3).

I hate that.

iirc, I was annoyed that I never knew if a 20dmg axe with slow speed is better than a 15dmg sword with normal speed or a 10dmg dagger with fast speed (or something along those lines). I thought they took care of that and made it immediately obvious which weapon does more damage with that big number.
Shows DPS on the D3 site at least, probably also on the items in-game as well.

chris-013

I hate that.

It's not attack speed but attack per second. big axe with 0.90 attack per second will be slower than a sword with 1.50 attack per second.

The big number is the total DPS. So yes, you immediately see the best weapon.

LordCanti

I hate that.

I never know if a 20dmg axe with slow speed is better than a 15dmg sword with normal speed or a 10dmg dagger with fast speed. I thought they took care of that and made it immediately obvious which weapon does more damage with that big number.

Suddenly I'm wondering what you mean by "big number".

qxpex.jpg

See "7.1 Damage Per Second"? That's the average damage that it will do per second, without factoring anything else in. An individual strike (with no skills, just the weapon) will hit for between 4 and 7 damage. Over the course of a second, the average it will do is 7.1 (since it's 1.3 attacks per second, 4-7 damage a hit). Your personal DPS is higher than the weapons DPS (or should be anyway)

When you equip a weapon, it will show you what changes have been made to DPS, and hovering over a weapon in the inventory should show you whether it's higher or lower DPS than the one you have equipped.

If you need more info, Kripparian breaks damage down in one of his videos on youtube. It really is a complex thing to calculate, once you start adding in monster levels/resistances/etc, and your own modifiers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
All right guys... only a matter of minutes left until I leave this place. I'm going to another place. A place where I can be bunkered in for a long, long time...

Umbasa.

sazzy

So, I got paranoid with the EU people having to re-download a patch for the retail installer... so I decided to download another copy of the US installer just to be very very sure there's no problem come launch time.

Heh...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Remember to eattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
All right guys, time to head out and actually buy the shit that I need for the upcoming days! I promise you though, it'll look nowhere near as bad as the picture that was taken a couple of days ago. Yoshi needs his vitamins :3

7pEUh.gif
I'm okay :3 ♥

chris-013

Weapon DPS math :

Basics of Equation:
Avg Weapon Dmg = (Weapon Low Dmg + Weapon High Dmg)/2 :: Look this up on weapon tooltip (DON'T MODIFY BY ANYTHING)
Avg Bonus Dmg from Items = SUM of all items (EXCEPT WEAPONS) that provide a +Dmg boost (if it's a range like +2-4 Dmg, you need to Average first)
Weapon Attack Speed = Check your weapon tooltip (DON'T MODIFY BY ANYTHING)
% Increase in Attack Speed from Items = SUM of all items (EXCEPT WEAPONS) that provide an Increase in Attack Speed of some %. 4% = 0.04.
Crit Rate = Look it up in Detailed Character Stats. 5% = 0.05
Crit Dmg Bonus = Look it up in Detailed Character Stats. 50% = 0.50
Stat Value of Main Attribute = Amount of STR, DEX, or INT you have. Depends on Class. Shown on the Character Stat.
% Skill Dmg Increase = Show on the Detailed Character Stat (Line 2). 5% = 0.05

If NOT Dual Wielding:
DPS = (Weapon Avg Dmg + Avg Bonus Dmg from all Items) * (Weapon Attack Speed) * (1 + % Increase in Attack Speed from Items) * (1 + (Crit Rate * Crit Dmg Bonus)) * (1 + (Stat Value of Main Attribute / 100)) * (1 + % Skill Dmg Increase)

If Dual Wielding:
DPS = ((Weapon #1 Avg Dmg + Weapon #2 Avg Dmg + (2 * Avg Bonus Dmg from all Items)) * (Weapon #1 Attack Speed) * (Weapon #2 Attack Speed) / (Weapon #1 Attack Speed + Weapon #2 Attack Speed)) * (1.15 + % Increase in Attack Speed from Items) * (1 + (Crit Rate * Crit Dmg Bonus)) * (1 + (Stat Value of Main Attribute / 100)) * (1 + % Skill Dmg Increase)

Let's try with the best bow (500-700), a quiver with +15% ias and the character has 1000 dex.

DPS = (600 + 0) * (1.7) * (1 + 0.15) * (1 + (0 * 0)) * (1 + (10))
= 12 903

One more sleep people!

Well, for most of you. For me and my CE it's probably two.

And the thread has slowed down a bit, so we should have this thread through launch day at least, but I need to keep a close eye on it to make sure I'm ready to post OT2 when the time comes - which should still be this week.

LordCanti

One more sleep people!

Well, for most of you. For me and my CE it's probably two.

And the thread has slowed down a bit, so we should have this thread through launch day at least, but I need to keep a close eye on it to make sure I'm ready to post OT2 when the time comes - which should still be this week.

I know that feel ;_;

Has a decision been made on a trading thread?

Weapon DPS math :

Let's try with the best bow (500-700), a quiver with +15% ias and the character has 1000 dex.

DPS = (600 + 0) * (1.7) * (1 + 0.15) * (1 + (0 * 0)) * (1 + (10))
= 11 730

I'll be using the inevitable character build calculator to avoid having to do that pre-algebra myself.

What's the trading thread all about? I haven't heard anything about it :3

A month or two ago I asked if there would be a dedicated thread for trading items. At least, I think I did. I may have dreamed it...

Yoshichan

What's the trading thread all about? I haven't heard anything about it :3

Solo until Normal is done, just so I can get all the story stuff done. Then a mix of solo and co-op for more levelling and different classes.

Im doing that too. Normal first to take in everything, play it slow then co-op for leveling, gear, etc.

All right guys... only a matter of minutes left until I leave this place. I'm going to another place. A place where I can be bunkered in for a long, long time...

Umbasa.

Um...sorry for asking but I think Im missing something. Where are you going now? :p

Yoshichan

injurai, you ass :lol

I know that feel ;_;

Has a decision been made on a trading thread?

A month or two ago I asked if there would be a dedicated thread for trading items. At least, I think I did. I may have dreamed it...

I don't have any plans for one. I doubt there will be much trading of interest in the first month, and the OT threads should be sufficient once we move to community. I don't think it will be a problem.

theta11

A trading thread would be cool but I doubt it would see much traffic initially as most people will probably flood things to the RMAH as soon as it's released and once the economy stabilized then you'd start seeing trades.

Yoshichan

Um...sorry for asking but I think Im missing something. Where are you going now? :p
I'm not going to play D3 in this apartment, since I don't want to have to deal with shit that might come in the way of my time with D3. I'm going to another place, where I'm isolated from everyone and everything. Well, everyone except for my Real ID and NeoGAF, that is :3

Did you mess with more builds sir?
And the thread has slowed down a bit,
It's the calm before the storm... I love this feeling I'm having right now... all I can hear is the wind and birds outside... this is gonna be a special day. And tomorrow's going to be even more special.

LordCanti

I don't have any plans for one. I doubt there will be much trading of interest in the first month, and the OT threads should be sufficient once we move to community. I don't think it will be a problem.

Fair enough.

Personally, I'm hoping for a ton of trading. Beating Blizzard at their own game would be delicious.

Then they'd throw in a fee per in-game trade just to screw with us ><

I'm not going to play D3 in this apartment, since I don't want to have to deal with shit that might come in the way of my time with D3. I'm going to another place, where I'm isolated from everyone and everything. Well, everyone except for my Real ID and NeoGAF, that is :3

It's the calm before the storm... I love this feeling I'm having right now... all I can hear is the wind and birds outside... this is gonna be a special day. And tomorrow's going to be even more special.

If you leave your apartment, how are you going to watch Game of Thrones? It's Khaleesi day dammit!

Xater

I don#t even think I will play at midnight. I might just get some good sleep and start playing right after I get up on Tuesday. I don#t have be anywhere that day so I can play all day long.

Yoshichan

If you leave your apartment, how are you going to watch Game of Thrones? It's Khaleesi day dammit!
Game of Thrones is the only thing I'm going to miss from the outside life :( Keep the Khaleesi busy for me, will you :_:?

You built a bunker just to play D3? Thats.........normal behaviour when it comes to you. xD

PS - I did make new builds, but I didnt save them :(

Im gonna try them in-game only now.

Twinduct

Two more days for me =)
Sadly I only have the 15th to completely lose myself in the game. From the 16th onwards, I'll only be able to squeeze in a few hours at night.

Just hope my retailer sends me my key before 9 am on the 15th.

LordCanti

Game of Thrones is the only thing I'm going to miss from the outside life :( Keep the Khaleesi busy for me, will you :_:?

I will sire unto her a son, and he shall rule all of the seven kingdoms of Westeros.

I hope Act I has a lot of achievements. Cause I'm not going past it until I get a CE... one way or another!

I thought you had the digital version to play on until that came. You can go as far as you like on the digital version.

Or have I confused you with someone else...darn all these Diablo III avatars...

Yoshichan

You built a bunker just to play D3? Thats.........normal behaviour when it comes to you. xD
Well, it's not technically a bunker, haha! But yes, I will have no "signal" from real life.

so my amazon standard ed order still not shipped, i guess they'll ship tomorrow. I havent had probs with their release date delivery yet. ONly thing is that one time they cut it really close and the delivery guy didnt arrive till 8:30pm, it wasn't via UPS or a big name delivery service, just some random local service i never heard of. I hope that doesnt happen again and it arrives in the middle of the day instead. What time do your amazon release date delivery packages arrived in the past?
edit, this post is filled with poor grammar and punctuation. i just dont care anymore

LordCanti

so my amazon standard ed order still not shipped, i guess they'll ship tomorrow. I havent had probs with their release date delivery yet. ONly thing is that one time they cut it really close and the delivery guy didnt arrive till 8:30pm, it wasn't via UPS or a big name delivery service, just some random local service i never heard of. I hope that doesnt happen again and it arrives in the middle of the day instead. What time do your amazon release date delivery packages arrived in the past?
edit, this post is filled with poor grammar and punctuation. i just dont care anymore

Amazon always ships things to me via UPS without fail. It never arrives before noon, and has arrived as late as about 7pm. It's really a crap shoot.

Someone will likely have beaten this game (on normal) by the time my CE arrives.

scy

I hate that.

I don't want to be the one who confuses things but, for the most part, everything else was covered. There IS an exception, however, and that's when you're dual wielding. Since dual wielding adds the swing speeds together, it's possible that a better DPS weapon in the off-hand is actually not an improvement.

...unfortunately, there's no quick and dirty easy ruling I can give you for that one besides "check your DPS when you change weapons!" Besides that, it's not an issue if your weapons are close in DPS (e.g., 2x ~20 DPS weapons instead of a 25 DPS MH + 15 DPS Off-hand)

Amir0x

Banned
so i guess once this comes out I'll never have a life again. should i, like, write notes to my loved ones telling them where I disappeared to? Seems logical

LordCanti

I told some people that I'm going fishing for a couple of days with my father. This sounds entirely plausible until you realize that I haven't fished in over a decade and that I hate fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom