• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyubajin

Morning DiabloGAF, yesterday night I discovered the horrible truth that Amazon UK couldn't charge me for the Diablo 3 CE because they had used an obsolete card that I deleted months prior to pre-ordering the damned thing... I corrected the issue immediately but I'm sure this will add a couple of days more to the waiting :/ I wanna die...

I need a Guest Pass... please, pretty please, please with sugar on top. I'll give it back once my own CE arrives.

DemonNite

I can't believe there won't be any. Starcraft 2 launch trailer was epic.

Blizz imma disappoint.

considering how the already released trailers have spoiled some surprises... I don't want to see the launch one if it gets released. It's only 13 hours away!!! I can wait :D

Realyn

Woah, physical quality of the CE is AMAZING. Everythings feels so good. Even the soundtrack inlay has some nice text. Really well done.

Riggs

Banned
Morning DiabloGAF, yesterday night I discovered the horrible truth that Amazon UK couldn't charge me for the Diablo 3 CE because they had used an obsolete card that I deleted months prior to pre-ordering the damned thing... I corrected the issue immediately but I'm sure this will add a couple of days more to the waiting :/ I wanna die...

I need a Guest Pass... please, pretty please, please with sugar on top. I'll give it back once my own CE arrives.

Man sorry, would totally hook you up if I had a guest pass. Buying regular edition online I don't think that comes with one. STAY STRONG brother it will be ok.

Did people see/discuss this already?

http://au.ign.com/videos/games/diablo-iii-pc-714955

Class tips from Jay Wilson.

Sorry haven't been able to follow the thread today... prepping my food/drinks supplies and doing a thorough maintenance on my computer :D

Posted this earlier.

Trash Man

Neo Member

Give me 5 minutes and I'll send one your way. No need to return it :)

Staab

Well, scoured two towns in search of a boxed copy of D3, but alas none of the 6shops I visited was up for breaking the street date, so digital it is for me ;(
(Same price here anyways, overcharging basterds!)

kyubajin

Man sorry, would totally hook you up if I had a guest pass. Buying regular edition online I don't think that comes with one. STAY STRONG brother it will be ok.
Thanks :) It's OK I guess, this same morning I finally got my shiny Apple contract so I guess that makes up for it!

Give me 5 minutes and I'll send one your way. No need to return it :)
You're the man! (or woman, one never knows) I'll return it anyway so you can grace someone else and make them happy!

Thoraxes

This Diablo 3 song needs more love

The best and epic hack'n'slay!

KuGsj.gif
So awesome.

Oh god, when he played the sax a half-step above tonic, I nearly lost my shit.

Feature

Banned
From watching youtube gameplay videos, I'm seeing that this game is like league of legends with a story and coop gameplay (on a basic level ofcourse). Going to try the game out wednesday in a local gaming store for an hour or 2 and then decide if I'm going to buy it.

Ferrio

Banned
From watching youtube gameplay videos, I'm seeing that this game is like league of legends with a story and coop gameplay (on a basic level ofcourse). Going to try the game out wednesday in a local gaming store for an hour or 2 and then decide if I'm going to buy it.

Not even close.

Dresden

Man.

I feel sorta old.

squidyj

D3-Day. Where we storm the beaches of Hell.

I think day 1 is mostly going to be the beaches of normal and nightmare.

joke post?

StuBurns

Banned
LoL is like an RTS tug of war, this is like top down WoW with fewer people.

EDIT: I apologize if that read as being mean, that wasn't the intention.

LordCanti

I think day 1 is mostly going to be the beaches of normal and nightmare.

The beaches of normal are incredibly scenic. If you sit down in one of the beach chairs, a demon temptress comes along and gives you a mai tai.

Those nightmare beaches though....they don't have drink service.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hehe four day weekend here. Can't complain that there is a christian holiday in the same week D3 is released creating a 'klämdag' just perfect for taking a day off.

I'm gonna be a complete wreck next monday when I return to work. Totally worth it.

So many swedes, god damn. <3

After all LoL predates even Diablo 1...

Lumine

Screw you guys. I still have 6-7 weeks of studying and exams left. I should really wait with picking up D3 until after that... :(

KiteGr

I'm not actually that hyped for Diablo 3...
Don't take me wrong. I did preorder it, and I'll definetly gona play it and I curse the gods that broke my home computer now of all days, but I don't think that it has as many strong points as Diablo 2.

I can't help but sound like troll telling this the day of it's release but please hear me out!

Ask your selfs:
Why did people liked Diablo 2 so much?
  1. It was a good dark single player RPG, with great combat and great character micro-managment!
  2. It was had also a great online mode, that made it at the time the closest thing you could find to an MMO without subscription at the time!
  3. The great skill system ensured that no two characters whould ever be the same (lie),
    and the great list of loot gave players lots of reasons to play it again and again.
But Diablo 2 was far from an Ideal MMO:
  • The world was not big enough, and to make up for that, you were chalenged to play the game 3 times instead to reach the higher levels.
  • The characters them selfs where predesigned and you couldn't customize them aside from the stats and skills you got through leveling.
  • It encuraged grinding for loot and levels, since the actuall story quests where very limited, and only a hand-few of them where nessesary to advance through the game.
  • People where forced on instanced worlds of their owns to reduce the need to maintain many servers and keep the online free.

Now Diablo 3 is comming out, and I have no doubt that it'll have great gameplay and story (even though now it looks a little bit more comic-bookish), and there is no doubt that playing with others will be fun.
But, now MMOs DO exist in various varieties and flavours, with the king of them is still owned by blizzard.

Diablo 3 is based on an idea that worked in the past because there were no MMOs at the time, and while they've added many new ellements to D3 like an action house, gender variations for the (again) predesigned characters, and better economy and ballance, the core of the game is still the same! In the past people were willing to let go of all the negative aspects of Diablo 2 because it there was nothing at the time!

To bring you an an example, take a look at the original Guild Wars!
It was builded by ex-blizzard stuff members that formed their own company called Arena-net.
It took the formula much of the gameplay of Diablo 2 and added more online ellements to make it self closser to an actual MMO. (search it out!)
It kept most of it's world instanced (just like Diablo 2) in order to avoid a subscription policy.
That little ambitious project ended up comming just a few months after WoW that ended up re-defining what to expect from MMOs, and it ended up being overshadowed!

Now the roles are reversed, and blizzard is releasing a game with archaic ideas about MMOs, while Arena-net is re-setting the standarts of what to expect from an MMO with Guild Wars 2!
And Yes!... I'm more excited for Guild Wars 2 than Diablo 3, dispite not liking the original GW.

What do you think?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Damn, I just realized my prophecy, why on earth did I think I'd be able to play tonight :( ?

The servers shall fall

Trash Man

Neo Member
I did :), i saw the links to the 2 pics but the image of the left scren is showing and it small.

My mistake, the image of the right screen is on there as well now. It's small because it's quoted in the thread. Right click and save and it should be the full version. That's all I did anyway.

Cipherr

We are going to need a guest pass thread for those of us with our CE's in transit by evil mail carriers. Missing the midnight launch go time would suck.

What do you think?

I think your nuts man. GW2 Im sure will be a fine game, but theres just no way for it to eclipse this right now. There was a shot this game wouldnt deliver, then they let us all into the beta and now I know it will. I hope GW2 does well, but my business is officially lost to them now.

Realyn

To bring you an an example, take a look at the original Guild Wars!
It was builded by ex-blizzard stuff members that formed their own company called Arena-net.
It took the formula much of the gameplay of Diablo 2 and added more online ellements to make it self closser to an actual MMO. (search it out!)
It kept most of it's world instanced (just like Diablo 2) in order to avoid a subscription policy.
That little ambitious project ended up comming just a few months after WoW that ended up re-defining what to expect from MMOs, and it ended up being overshadowed!
Uhm, have you played DAoC? GW2 is a DAoC clone all the way. Don't really see the D2-GW2 connection.

Realyn

Just realized people will be streaming 14 hours of content before Americas launch.

Just as a reminder: Mine will be up at EU launch in 12 hours and 40 minutes. Some Gaffers allready said they will watch some of it. Feel invited to do so aswell.

tch

Ok my Best Buy store is listed as the CE being "available at this store." I assume that they won't be actually for sale until Tuesday morning?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Not being on the forefront kind of leaves me with a sour taste for powering through.

I guess I'll go casually through Normal solo or with a few closer friends, then power later.

Cipherr

Uhm, have you played DAoC? GW2 is a DAoC clone all the way. Don't really see the D2-GW2 connection.

It really is. I played DAoC for like 2 or 3 years. Maybe 4, from release day until the release day of WoW, lol, however long that was.

And Amazon just switched my CE from "Not yet shipped" to "Shipping soon", and I've been billed.

KXVyR.png

th_m7b049.gif

LordCanti

Just realized people will be streaming 14 hours of content before Americas launch.

That's why I probably won't stream. Anyone that wants to watch a stream is going to have plenty of chances before I even get to play the guest pass that someone is hopefully still giving me (if he remembers from yesterday :p)

KiteGr

There is no connection between GW2 and D2, and that's because there is barelly any connection between GW2 and GW1 aside from the lore and some random ellements. I said that GW1 was based on diablo 2 formula.

And the serverVserver is not the only thing that defines GW2...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hello everyone and good morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom