• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

See, I have not used the RMAH to know if it is a good or bad thing. The chance to make a few £ selling random items I don't want or need? Fine by me.

sazzy

YOU KNOW WHAT I JUST REALIZED

if blizzard had Aus servers, I would be able to play in less than 4 hours. But nooooooo. Gotta wait 20 more hours! Argh!

Trickster

Nobody is going to want my HC shako worth pixels for SC shako worth $, for example.

SC shako? You talking about standard mode? If so, sure people will, plenty of people are not gonna make use of the real money AH at all. There are many people that dislike the idea of it and will refuse to use it.

What? I can't play across different regions with the same char.? That's kind of odd.

Dunno why actually, but it's been like that in Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 as well. I'm just happy it's possible at all. You can only play one one region in starcraft 2 per game you own ( getting changed in hots though, thank god ).

Boycotting this due to RMAH. I only hope and pray this does not become standard practice for games.

It's basically decriminalization of item selling (well, if according to the terms of use). There are companies in China that pretty much farm items in MMOs, and making serious money out of it. This leads to an abundance of farmers, and bots in the game, which frankly doesn't help anyone.

With RMAH it could hopefully lessen this, and it's a good business strategy to boot. People has flocked to it. Spend money on it. Why leave it to outside party to make shitload of money without you getting a cut then?

So yeah, win win for us and Blizzard.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
How is that odd? It makes complete sense...

Id does? Sure thing i would be playing on the EU server, since I'm in the EU (better connection) - but if i want to play with someone from the US it should be no problem to just switch the server and play with friends oversees.

Why does it make sense to allow me to play on every server, but not with my char.?

Secure system doesn't include a 15% cut to Blizzard. I'd prefer third party sites to Blizzard because well, Blizzard have built the game around the fact that the RMAH is going to be their source of income for many years to come and have tailored drop rates and the rest of the game accordingly. Security is a good thing but a 15% cut? That's going too far. Third party sites, the good ones can provide security and have to compete with other third party sites and blizzard themselves giving them a hard 15% cap for cost. 5% is fine. 15% is greedy.

But boycotting the entire game doesn't send Blizzard a message one way or the other. If five million people buy it and no one uses the RMAH, Blizzard knows the RMAH was a mistake. If no one buys it, they'll think no one bought it for any number of reasons.

Also, Blizzard only takes a 15% cut on commodities, not equipment.

Twinduct

Sadly I don't see the RMAH not being a success. Not going to be using it, but can imagine quite a few will use it. I mean if the beta is anything to go on, people want to sell their shit and get that dolla dolla bill yo.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why does it make sense to allow me to play on every server, but not with my char.?
I just think it makes sense since it's been that game with gaming ever since the dawn of time.

foladar

Sadly I don't see the RMAH not being a success. Not going to be using it, but can imagine quite a few will use it. I mean if the beta is anything to go on, people want to sell their shit and get that dolla dolla bill yo.

Sony's Everquest 2 had some specific servers with a similar rmah system, I think Vanguard did too. I'd bet "Project Titan" will as well. Probably standard in the near future at least.

Staab

But boycotting the entire game doesn't send Blizzard a message one way or the other. If five million people buy it and no one uses the RMAH, Blizzard knows the RMAH was a mistake. If no one buys it, they'll think no one bought it for any number of reasons.

Also, Blizzard only takes a 15% cut on commodities, not equipment.
They take 1$ on the equipment,for the RMAH right ?
Seems pretty reasonable and will usually be much less than 15%.
What's unreasonable is the cash out 15% fee for Paypal.

That's just lame...

LordCanti

Think of the RMAH as 100% profit you couldn't have (legally) made otherwise. The volume you can do on a platform built into the game should make up for their fee, compared to having to set things up through a third party forum.

I just hope they manage the RMAH and keep foreign gold sellers off of it.

Arksy

It's basically decriminalization of item selling (well, if according to the terms of use). There are companies in China that pretty much farm items in MMOs, and making serious money out of it. This leads to an abundance of farmers, and bots in the game, which frankly doesn't help anyone.

With RMAH it could hopefully lessen this, and it's a good business strategy to boot. People has flocked to it. Spend money on it. Why leave it to outside party to make shitload of money without you getting a cut then?

So yeah, win win for us and Blizzard.

Mainly Blizzard. I seriously doubt this is going to put the profitability of farming companies to waste. After all these companies can just use the RMAH like anyone else. It just means their profitability takes a 15% tax.

Sorry above just said that it's on commodities not equipment. Is there a link that details the precise mechanics of it....including listing costs and the like.

They take 1$ on the equipment,for the RMAH right ?
Seems pretty reasonable and will usually be much less than 15%.

That's just lame...

Yes, $1 transaction fee (no listing fee) on equipment. 15% Paypal conversion SUCKS but that's Paypal for you, not Blizzard.

Mainly Blizzard. I seriously doubt this is going to put the profitability of farming companies to waste. After all these companies can just use the RMAH like anyone else. It just means their profitability takes a 15% tax.

Sorry above just said that it's on commodities not equipment. Is there a link that details the precise mechanics of it....including listing costs and the like.

Will find link in a minute (or more likely someone else will find it first), off the top of my head though:

No listing fees

15% "commission" on everything in Gold Auction House (just destroying some gold to keep economy stable)

15% transaction fee on commodities (gold, dyes, gems) in RMAH

$1 transaction fee on equipment in RMAH

Separately, Paypal charges 15% on your battle.net account balance to convert to cash. So unfortunately if you want to convert a commodity sale to real cash you're going to lose nearly 30% from the sale price.

Edit: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-auction-house-general-information

I've ordered the CE, and it is on its way, not sure if I can get my hands on it today though. But if I have understood it correctly, I can just download the standard version I get from the annual pass, play it tonight, and then upgrade it to CE when I get my hands on it?

itxaka

Defeatist
Jesus christ, Blizzard downloader is a piece of shit.

I can't understand it, wow downloader worked ok all the times but his thing? Almost 2 days to download at ridiculous speeds and it failed when finished. Instead of 7.6Gb it only saved 300Mb.

Put it to download again, 9 hours later it has downloaded only 2Gb.

So I desisted and just went to a well known bittorrent tracker. I will have the files in 2 hours.

I freaking hope the files are the same and the bizzard downloader just updates them if necessary.

Crap, the day that the last expansion of wow or Starcraft 2 was releases I downloaded them in just over 3 hours. Maybe there is way too much people downloading (which makes no sense because the downloader uses bittorrent so more people=more speed) or they just crapped it.

Anyone else having this issues or it's just me?

Grrrr, if the time arrives and it's not downloaded Im gotta burn my modem :mad:

LordCanti

Selling in the RMAH (and cashing out) requires a paypal account (I'm sure they'd quickly flag any PP accounts selling from many different BNet accounts), as well as text alerts and authentication.

They have the tools to stomp out companies that would farm for profit. The real question is whether or not they'll do it.

I've ordered the CE, and it is on its way, not sure if I can get my hands on it today though. But if I have understood it correctly, I can just download the standard version I get from the annual pass, play it tonight, and then upgrade it to CE when I get my hands on it?

Yes. I think you get 4 months of WoW game time for doing so.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Never had issues with the Blizzard Downloader... guess I'm just lucky (or 1000Mbit helps me &#9829;)

Thoraxes

Yeah, if you have the annual pass attached to your account, you should be fine. When you do your CE key in, you should get all the upgrades/benefits. The game client is the same for everyone; what matters is the CD-key attached to your account.

Swig_

So I haven't been paying attention and just decided to buy this today. What time are the servers live if I live in the US in the mountain time zone? I bought off the website, so I'm downloading it.

That's just lame...

You can avoid that by simple using that money (via paypal) to buy stuff online. No need to withdraw cash to your account, just use paypal as the mode of payment for an online transaction and the paypal balance will get used instead of your credit card / bank account.

Yoshichan

All right guys, I'm out to do some final preparations... it's gonna be a loooooooong ride.

ARE YOUR COLLECTIVE (lol) BODIES READY!?

Absolutely not, it's 6:30 am and I just had to get out of bed because I couldn't sleep due to my mind being stuck thinking about the reality that ill be playing diablo 3 as of 3AM tonight. I hope to god I manage to take a nap today or i'm going to end up becoming a story on the news about the dangers of sleep deprivation.

Trickster

Alright, I think I'm ready for bed. Hope I can sleep a good number of hours and wake up around 3 hours before the midnight launch. See you all on the other side!

LordCanti

You can avoid that by simple using that money (via paypal) to buy stuff online. No need to withdraw cash to your account, just use paypal as the mode of payment for an online transaction and the paypal balance will get used instead of your credit card / bank account.

He's talking about the 15% cashout fee for sellers that is on top of the $1 (or 15%) fee already taken by blizzard.

Buyers don't pay any fees whatsoever.

Cipherr

Can you buy stuff on Amazon with paypal?

Well you have a good point. It just doesn't bother me much, because at least for me it's going through the proper channels now.

Besides I honestly feel that it's great that Blizzard does get a cut out of this. It is their baby after all.

So yeah, I agree to disagree with you on this one.

BlackJace

So I woke up today. Had some breakfast.

Then it dawned on me that Diablo III releases tomorrow.

I promptly went back to sleep. I need to be fully awake for the all nighter.

Legit`

Neo Member
Secure system doesn't include a 15% cut to Blizzard. I'd prefer third party sites to Blizzard because well, Blizzard have built the game around the fact that the RMAH is going to be their source of income for many years to come and have tailored drop rates and the rest of the game accordingly. Security is a good thing but a 15% cut? That's going too far. Third party sites, the good ones can provide security and have to compete with other third party sites and blizzard themselves giving them a hard 15% cap for cost. 5% is fine. 15% is greedy.

God forbid a COMPANY receive money over the years for all their hard work, that drives more development and expansions. How dare they!

Realyn

Good night guys. I'm going to sleep ~8 hours now. Wake up at 20:00, install D3 and go to the gym. Going to fire up my stream at ~23:30 or so. See you later!

Ah, one more thing. Could we please do this?
If you need help or want to trade stuff, please add something like "EU | SC | Realyn#1234" at the bottom of your post.
I know we got the battletag list, but that would make it so much easier for everyone if you include everything important rightaway.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Absolutely not, it's 6:30 am and I just had to get out of bed because I couldn't sleep due to my mind being stuck thinking about the reality that ill be playing diablo 3 as of 3AM tonight. I hope to god I manage to take a nap today or i'm going to end up becoming a story on the news about the dangers of sleep deprivation.

Oh stop being a KITTY I've been up since 11am yesterday and I'm at work right now til 8am, I'll go to sleep til 3:30pm and I'll be up then and my body will be ready for the whole night baby!

Arksy

Well you have a good point. It just doesn't bother me much, because at least for me it's going through the proper channels now.

Besides I honestly feel that it's great that Blizzard does get a cut out of this. It is their baby after all.

So yeah, I agree to disagree with you on this one.

My position is that yes, while it's their game i feel that it's exploiting their player base for money, that's my problem with it.

LordCanti

Ah, one more thing. Could we please do this?

I'm willing to do that once the game launches. It should make trading and what not easier.

My Collector's Edition arrived at my office today.
Work is going to be really annoying all day now.. argh!!!
I am FREAKING. OUT.

Just remember; You can't play it until after midnight anyway.

My position is that yes, while it's their game i feel that it's exploiting their player base for money, that's my problem with it.

I think you mentioned that third party trading was "safe" in a previous post. There was nothing all that safe about third party trading. People got scammed all the time, so the inclusion of a safe alternative is a good thing IMO. People will still get suckered in by third party trades, but it won't be as prevalent now.

Thoraxes

I actually think the first thing i'm going to do with D3 RMAH money (after just letting it collect for forever) is buy SCII finally.

Oh stop being a KITTY I've been up since 11am yesterday and I'm at work right now til 8am, I'll go to sleep til 3:30pm and I'll be up then and my body will be ready for the whole night baby!

I have a tendency already with d2 of staying up 3 to 4 days with no sleep so not getting any sleep today would be a bad idea for me lol. Mixing real bad insomnia with an addictive game I have been waiting like 10 years for could end up causing some massive droopy eyes.

Not really complaining though, I mean diablo 3 comes out tonight.

Yes. I think you get 4 months of WoW game time for doing so.

Yeah, if you have the annual pass attached to your account, you should be fine. When you do your CE key in, you should get all the upgrades/benefits. The game client is the same for everyone; what matters is the CD-key attached to your account.

Thanks for the info. I can go to bed after a long night at work with an easy heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom