• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

I think you mentioned that third party trading was "safe" in a previous post. There was nothing all that safe about third party trading. People got scammed all the time, so the inclusion of a safe alternative is a good thing IMO. People will still get suckered in by third party trades, but it won't be as prevalent now.

I'm not saying they are safe or not. I said they can be. The suggestion that a third party website in no way can be safe and secure to me is fallacious.

Grampasso

Well, you don't but plenty of other people do.

You could have a 4 player party in D2. Either set a smaller lobby or only party with 4 people.

What do you mean? I could do vita caster and maxblock caster. Also, characters were a commitment. You made a FB sorc, a javazon, charge din, etc.

Nobody is going to want my HC shako worth pixels for SC shako worth $, for example.

Gave me a reason to make more than 1 of each character. I enjoyed having experimental builds that everybody couldn't copycat at a few clicks of a mouse if they got killed by it.
Sorry, I thought that since you clearly stated your opinions regarding those matters I could answer with mines.

And forcing people to create a new character for a wrong distributed point is just stupid. May actually turn people off the game.

My position is that yes, while it's their game i feel that it's exploiting their player base for money, that's my problem with it.

The RMAH is brilliant on all levels for blizzard and is going to lead to alot of players making money rather then being exploited for it.

I mean you can even use third party places like d2jsp in tangent with the RMAH to better make money off the game. Sell stuff people would buy on there for small amounts of currency that wouldn't sell on the RMAH and keep hording it up to buy a super rare item worth a bunch on the RMAH so you can resell it in game to turn a real money profit off a game you will be playing anyways.

All the while blizzard not only is able to make the game safer for the consumer, they managed to offer a way for there players to recoup the cost of the game back all the while generating additional profit off the game itself that doesn't even come out of the players selling items pockets.

Honestly whoever came up with the RMAH should be given a nice pat on the back by blizzard brass.

oneils

I've ordered the CE, and it is on its way, not sure if I can get my hands on it today though. But if I have understood it correctly, I can just download the standard version I get from the annual pass, play it tonight, and then upgrade it to CE when I get my hands on it?

Im in the same boat. But, we will need a guest pass key to use the starter edition. We would have to get it from another collectors edition owner.

Edit:this is a stealth beg post, sorry if it is too obvious everyone.

My position is that yes, while it's their game i feel that it's exploiting their player base for money, that's my problem with it.

You said above that your real problem was the amount they were taking and that 5% would be fine. But now you know that the percentage is only on commodities to avoid multiple transaction fees on one listing, and that any equipment that sells for $20 or more would be fair to you (or generous! If an item sells for $250 Blizzard earns a whopping .25% off of it.)

And there are no listing fees at all, which you asked for information about under the apparent assumption that there were listing fees.

You can avoid that by simple using that money (via paypal) to buy stuff online. No need to withdraw cash to your account, just use paypal as the mode of payment for an online transaction and the paypal balance will get used instead of your credit card / bank account.

He means that when you sell an item, you either have to choose a) send to B.Net balance for free or b) send to paypal balance at a 15% cut.

You never want to send it to your B.Net balance EVER. Unless you are gonna use the money to buy Blizzard products anyway, since that's all that balance is good for.

LordCanti

The RMAH is brilliant on all levels for blizzard and is going to lead to alot of players making money rather then being exploited for it.

I mean you can even use third party places like d2jsp in tangent with the RMAH to better make money off the game. Sell stuff people would buy on there for small amounts of currency that wouldn't sell on the RMAH and keep hording it up to buy a super rare item worth a bunch on the RMAH so you can resell it in game to turn a real money profit off a game you will be playing anyways.

All the while blizzard not only is able to make the game safer for the consumer, they managed to offer a way for there players to recoup the cost of the game back all the while generating additional profit off the game itself that doesn't even come out of the players selling items pockets.

Honestly whoever came up with the RMAH should be given a nice pat on the back by blizzard brass.

I agree with everything except for this. The 15% fee you'll incur when cashing out will make flipping items pretty difficult, unless you get a ridiculously good deal.

He means that when you sell an item, you either have to choose a) send to B.Net balance for free or b) send to paypal balance at a 15% cut.

You never want to send it to your B.Net balance EVER. Unless you are gonna use the money to buy Blizzard products anyway, since that's all that balance is good for.

B.net balance is also good for buying other items you may want / have a use for more then the ones your selling. As far as I know you can also send your B.net balance to paypal whenever you want and its not a one and done decision but I could be wrong on that facet.

I agree with everything except for this. The 15% fee you'll incur when cashing out will make flipping items pretty difficult, unless you get a ridiculously good deal.

That isn't the same kind of flipping as you are thinking of. Im talking selling less rare stuff that wouldn't sell on the RMAH on a site like D2jsp for there forumgold and then using said forumgold to buy items you know will sell on the RMAH. Its essentially making money off stuff you normally couldn't with the RMAH so it ends up being nothing but profit.

LordCanti

B.net balance is also good for buying other items you may want / have a use for more then the ones your selling. As far as I know you can also send your B.net balance to paypal whenever you want and its not a one and done decision but I could be wrong on that facet.

I'm almost certain that you can't.

That isn't the same kind of flipping as you are thinking of. Im talking selling less rare stuff that wouldn't sell on the RMAH on a site like D2jsp for there forumgold and then using said forumgold to buy items you know will sell on the RMAH. Its essentially making money off stuff you normally couldn't with the RMAH so it ends up being nothing but profit.

Forums have their own currency? O_O

True you can use it to buy items again.

However you're wrong about being able to send your Battle.net balance to Pay Pal. They do not allow this and everyone should be warned of this fact.

If you're planning to get your Battle.net balance to max and then "cashing out" by sending it to PayPal, you will not be able to do so. It's a one time decision made after the sale of an item.

Edit: apparently the decision is not made after the sale. but before posting on the AH

I'm in Australia so I'm more concerned about the time zone which comes faster :p

Its 8am here when EU servers open.
Its 5pm here when US servers open.

I understand, I live in Malaysia so I have the same predicament.

Although I might only be able to play the game after 2 weeks due to distribution issues :(

Anyway, you'd be fine. I'm more concerned in the latency. Hopefully there's a US-Singapore/Australia server so I could at least get low ping while playing.

Number45

Yep, confirmed:

http://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/battle-net-balance-faq#q5

Can I convert my Battle.net Balance into cash?
Any amount you add to your Battle.net Balance, either through an approved payment method or by adding Diablo III auction house earnings to your Battle.net Balance, will not be refundable (except as otherwise provided by law), and you are not able to convert that Balance into cash. Battle.net Balance can only be used to buy designated Blizzard Entertainment products and services or to acquire items from Diablo III's currency-based auction house. In certain regions, Diablo III players may choose to receive cash, rather than add to their Battle.net Balance, from the sale of an item from the currency-based auction house. Those players will be able to do so via PayPal for an additional fee. Players will need to determine which method they wish to use at the time they post their auction. For more information on the currency-based auction house, see the Auction House FAQ.

Forums have their own currency? O_O

True you can use it to buy items again.

However you're wrong about being able to send your Battle.net balance to Pay Pal. They do not allow this and everyone should be warned of this fact.

If you're planning to get your Battle.net balance to max and then "cashing out" by sending it to PayPal, you will not be able to do so. It's a one time decision made after the sale of an item.

I see, that is unfortunate but I guess not to terrible in the long run.

edit : As for forums having there own currency, thats how D2JSP works and its probably the most popular third party item selling site for d2 and some other assorted online games. Utilizing both could really end up in some decent profit from the game.

Arksy

You said above that your real problem was the amount they were taking and that 5% would be fine. But now you know that the percentage is only on commodities to avoid multiple transaction fees on one listing, and that any equipment that sells for $20 or more would be fair to you (or generous! If an item sells for $250 Blizzard earns a whopping .25% off of it.)

And there are no listing fees at all, which you asked for information about under the apparent assumption that there were listing fees.

Yeah this is why i asked for a link detailing the precise mechanics of it all.

LordCanti

Does anyone have a guest pass code for me? Would be really nice.

Very few people have boxed copies of the game right now. Once the midnight launches happen, a lot more people will have them to give away.

edit : As for forums having there own currency, thats how D2JSP works and its probably the most popular third party item selling site for d2 and some other assorted online games. Utilizing both could really end up in some decent profit from the game.

Aah, I see. Yeah, I guess that could work. I'm not sure what items won't be on the RMAH though. With the listing fee at $1, I could see people selling things even though they barely make a profit on them. I guess there is more wiggle room without that $1 fee, but you'd need to do a huge volume to make any money at those prices.

I see, that is unfortunate but I guess not to terrible in the long run.

I'm hoping to(but not totally expecting to) be able to save enough B.Net balance to buy the expansion with before it comes out.

An expansion paid for by playing the original game sounds pretty sweet to me.

Im in the same boat. But, we will need a guest pass key to use the starter edition. We would have to get it from another collectors edition owner.

Edit:this is a stealth beg post, sorry if it is too obvious everyone.

I thought I get the starter edition from my WOW annual pass?

Very few people have boxed copies of the game right now. Once the midnight launches happen, a lot more people will have them to give away.

Aah, I see. Yeah, I guess that could work. I'm not sure what items won't be on the RMAH though. With the listing fee at $1, I could see people selling things even though they barely make a profit on them. I guess there is more wiggle room without that $1 fee, but you'd need to do a huge volume to make any money at those prices.

If it works anything like item sales in d2 then there will be alot of stuff that people simply wont buy on the RMAH like specialty build items, or bad rolls on uniques etc that you could sell off in bulk on a site like d2jsp to fund something like a perfect rolled end game unique eventually and then resell it on the RMAH for a nice chunk of change.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I've not followed this at all, never played D1 or D2, but all of a sudden these past couple of days my interest has turned like it did with Skyrim (and In the case of Skyrim I got it on launch).

Will it be live at midnight for UK players?

Anyone???

I don't think there will be that many variables that no other person will have the same item, it still pools from the same pool of possible modifiers.

Whats different as far as I know in d3 is that stuff like uniques have there usual base modifiers like d2 and then a number of bonus modifiers that can be any of the possible ones out of said pools.

So like x unique bow of shootan things would always have xx increased attack speed xx lightning damage and xx dexterity but also 4 random modifiers that have varying effectiveness rolls.

So yeah there will be a pretty great variety in items, more so then d2 had.

LordCanti

Anyone???

Each player gets their own drops, but the drops aren't unique. I mean, each player gets different items, but the items themselves are from the same pool of items that anyone can get.

I guess there's more to it, but the WoW AH has visual previews on your character, a dedicated smartphone app, etc. I guess they have to make it easier on the eyes when it's about real money.

I like the sound of the visual previews. Hopefully they'll add that in later.

Thoraxes

How so? I've never played WoW, so I'm curious.

Just the amount of categories of content, not to mention the addons you can use to take it beyond and really play a market with lots of analysis tools. I mean, there's like 3 expansions and base game worth of content that can be put on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom