• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
What the hell is this foreground/background max fps setting thingy? Where do I set this crap (have a high-end rig)? I swear, I think developers invent new video settings just to mess with us.

Isn't it just the FPS for when you're in-game (foreground) and when you're alt-tabbed/minimized (background)?

NH Apache

Banned
iUvt0.jpg

Finally finished my desk! Ready for some D3 loveeee

An-Det

Game downloaded and currently installing. Shame I have to work tomorrow. Some of my friends have taken the rest of the week off just for this.

Seems we likely wont make it to OT2 before true release though. So close.

V_Arnold

So, aside from the first hour, launch turned out ok after all?

Once you are in, the experience is perfect. Combat is more fluid than ANY OTHER arpg out there. POE, TL, anything included. Lagless, responsive, silky smooth.

I am very happy right now. But need to sleep.

Jeff_Chen

Banned
that you can hide them wasn't my point
they are just a line of icons that you have to look at to find the right one, too many and too long of a line can make it annoying to find the one you're searching for.
There must be a better more intuitive way to do it

That line of icons, will appear the exact way you arrange it. You have 100% control over what you are gonna have there. If you want to see none, just throw them into oblivion and you won't see any, unless somthing is running. Combined with the mission control functions, Mac is effing the hell out of Windows for task managing.

Words from a Windows user from 1995 to 2010. Totally gave up when Office 2011 came out. NO REASON to stay in the Windows jail anymore.

hmm...I may have missed something

I wanted to install this on my mechanical drive and not my SSD. I put the installer on the mechanical but when I installed just now it automatically installed on the SSD. I didn't even see an option to switch :(

The option to change install location was on the same screen as the EULA Terms.

Ainaurdur

D3GAF mostly Europe confirmed?!

Or preparing to head to bed soon so that we can play as soon as our boxes arrive tomorrow! I am in an odd state of calm. Yet almost excited just to sleep, that last trip to the future, where I will finally be playing...

Gotchaye

Isn't it just the FPS for when you're in-game (foreground) and when you're alt-tabbed/minimized (background)?

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it make no sense to have background FPS be anything higher than 0 in that case?

I'd figured it was some weird thing where the game was refreshing the positions of foreground objects much faster than background objects, which don't change as fast. But maybe that's not technically feasible.

What the hell is this foreground/background max fps setting thingy? Where do I set this crap (have a high-end rig)? I swear, I think developers invent new video settings just to mess with us.

This feature is a godsend for those of us with video cards that are louder than the Hulk playing a jet engine like it was a harmonica (GTX 480 here). In some games that like to play at 120fps at vertical sync or even higher without, the fans on the card feel like they're about to tear open a hole through time and space. I like to limit my fps to about 70fps or 80fps and cut down on GPU noise by about 70-80%.

krpiper

For the uninitiated...how does the co-op campaign work if you and your buddies aren't always playing together?

I'd love to be able to play with many of my wow-friends and RL friends, but we're all going to be progressing at different rates.

Does it work exactly the way co-op campaigns do for shooters? I found that easier to stomach since the game length would only be 8-10 hours or something, and we could finish it in 2 or 3 sittings. I imagine a game like Diablo is piles longer.

For me I will have "my" character and then I will have a "co-op" one. I did that with Borderlands as well

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That line of icons, will appear the exact way you arrange it. You have 100% control over what you are gonna have there. If you want to see none, just throw them into oblivion and you won't see any, unless somthing is running. Combined with the mission control functions, Mac is effing the hell out of Windows for task managing.

Words from a Windows user from 1995 to 2010. Totally gave up when Office 2011 came out. NO REASON to stay in the Windows jail anymore.

I just solved the problem by having a macbook for productivity, and a separate Windows tower for gaming.

scy

Or preparing to head to bed soon so that we can play as soon as our boxes arrive tomorrow! I am in an odd state of calm. Yet almost excited just to sleep, that last trip to the future, where I will finally be playing...

Hah, or that. Gonna be so jelly at work :x

For me I will have "my" character and then I will have a "co-op" one. I did that with Borderlands as well

Basically doing this. Got my Monk and then some co-op/GAF characters, basically.

Jedi2016

Background is for when you're alt-tabbed out of the game. Since it's still rendering the scenes, but doesn't have to spend cycles actually displaying them, the "virtual" framerate can go through the roof and cook your video card. Hence, the restriction. I have mine set to 30.

Foreground is kind of pointless, based on what I saw in the beta. It basically sets a maximum framerate for when you're actually playing. I just turned it off, and turned on V-sync, and it locked itself at 60fps (my monitor's max) and stayed there, for the most part. Oddly enough, you don't want to set it for your monitor's actual refresh rate. I set it for 60 one time, and it never went higher than 50fps, which made it stutter badly on a 60Hz monitor. That was when I found it was better to just turn it off entirely.

It might depend on your system, though. If you can't quite push it at 60fps, it might be worth it to settle for a smooth 30fps instead of a jerky 45fps. Not an issue for most modern systems, though, the game's requirements aren't that high.

I also noticed that the game remembers my graphics settings from the beta. I guess they were stored in some buried battle.net folder that wasn't erased when I uninstalled the beta.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If that's what it does, then I fail at reading comprehension. Still have no idea why this needs to be a separate video setting though...

In this thread PC games whine about having Video options.

iuh3ODIXWUIVt.gif

In other news: Blizzard needs to learn from Valve and launch their shit on PST.

jacobs34

Loved Torchlight, and this thread has gotten me pretty hype for the game, but I'm pretty sure my 3 yr old MBP could only run this game on low settings (that's what I have to run SC2 on). I really hope they release this for consoles at some point down the line.

rybrad

Going to pull an all-nighter with friends so hopefully the European launch beta test helps make a smoother launch for the US.

Ultratech

Wish I could join and play...but sadly, I'm saddled with school until the end of the week.
Come Thursday (or Friday), I'm making a beeline for D3.

Island

So am pretty much settled on DH as my main (first playthough)

The last decision I have to make is male or female? By the nature of Diablo 1/2 both my bow classes have been female... plus the female DH seems to be the "canon" one.

But the male DH is pretty badass and suits the name I have picked out better....

Armor sets? Voice over? Anything do help my decision?

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom