• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fou-Lu

I'll get in eventually, persistence will win out. Then my partner won't have gotten in and I'll have to wait for her. *sigh*

That seems to me to be missing the point. Blizzard could easily have designed the game so that people could play single player offline. They didn't, largely to prevent piracy and somewhat in order to encourage RMAH use. It's perfectly legitimate for people to be upset about Blizzard delivering a product that works less well than it could in order to add "features" that don't actually make the people who bought the game much better off.

At minimum, if you're going to force always-online in order to stop pirates, you really need to be going all-out to make sure that you're not inconveniencing paying customers.

I think they are willing to suffer the consequences of a 1 hour inconvenience in return for preventing piracy.

Archer

diablo-3-rage.jpg

nerd rage

Turning the server fuckup into a fun little roulette game. Choosing a different class after every error. Now not only do I NOT know if I'll ever get in, I don't know what class I'll be if I do.

My current routine...

1. Click Create Hero.
2. Alt-TAB
3. F5 on NeoGAF D3 thread.
4. Read bitching.
5. Smile and nod.
6. Alt-TAB back to D3, get 300008. Wait 15 seconds. Get 3006.
7. Repeat Step 1.

Holy shit...I feel like you just decibed my every action for the last 30 minutes lol

Jobacca

Neo Member
On the Diablo 3 forum:

"The Blizzard family of websites is currently undergoing maintenance to improve your browsing experience. Thank you for your patience!"

I think they are really saying:

"We don't want to put up with everyone on the forum!!"

Durante

Except that there's no problem. This is how it works. It's completely ridiculous to expect them to spent millions of dollars in infrastructure to buid out a system that can handle the needs of a <12 hour usage spike that is about 10 orders of magnitude higher than anything else the game will experience.
That's a rather weak excuse. Someone with foresight could e.g. design the server infrastructure so that it runs on the cloud, and automatically only ever rents as much capacity as is required at a given moment in time.

Gotchaye

I think they are willing to suffer the consequences of a 1 hour inconvenience in return for preventing piracy.

And people who are paying Blizzard and who are suffering that inconvenience for no gain are annoyed. Yeah, what Blizzard's doing is rational. Being annoyed by it still makes perfect sense.

Orca

PC really is a lot more advanced than console. Just imagine how many sandwiches we'll be able to make before we can play.

NZNova

I'll just create an offline character to play while I wait for the servers to stabilize.

Oh, wait.

Well, maybe I'll get started developing my cool D3 mod.

Oh, wait...

Juice

That's a rather weak excuse. Someone with foresight could e.g. design the server infrastructure so that it runs on the cloud, and automatically only ever rents as much capacity as is required at a given moment in time.

Someone with foresight would give GAF users privileged access.

demolitio

Now I know why those creepy nerds were wasting so much time trying to hit on the chick working at GS...They knew the whole time that they wouldn't be able to play tonight so they created their own level 1 boss.

No seriously, they made me wait 15 extra minutes while they talked about how they have no girl statues in their collection. Finally the guy in the line next to me realized I was waiting a while and let me go compared to the other people who created two lines instead of one.

I ain't get no respect you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom