• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soule

1 more week folks!

n8eZT.jpg

Well played.

Finally get to play the game as a sorcerer/wizard. My 15 year old self always wanted to give the sorc a whirl but I just couldn't bring myself to play a female avatar at that age. So I managed to get all the male characters to at least lv80 but the poor sorceress, amazon and assassin sat there while I wished they were male. Now D3 doesn't make me which is even better despite overcoming my earlier sexism. Can't wait.

Missing out on playing 3 out of the 6 classes in one of the best games ever because they have cooties? oh dear

zlatko

Banned
Hey Boss, I will probably be late a bit at work today. Cain asked me to stay a while longer.

^ Best excuse for the boss I've seen on that site yet.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well... it's getting closer. Hoping for some kickass bosses. Also... I really do hope this game turns out to be a perpetually playable one, like D2 before, a game you could pop in years and years after release and enjoy it just as much due to it's inherent mechanics.

Missing out on playing 3 out of the 6 classes in one of the best games ever because they have cooties? oh dear

lol, i always prefer to play as female characters. if i have a choice, i'll pick the female one (like in pokeman :p)

why wouldn't you want to play as the females? :S

lol, i always prefer to play as female characters. if i have a choice, i'll pick the female one (like in pokeman :p)

Same, if ever given a choice i ALWAYS pick the female variant especially when they're good looking and have hot bods with a nice ass (see: Kingdoms of Amalur, Saints Row 3, Mass Effect series). It's not just the aesthetics tho... it's something else too, some mental trait about women in power, not sure what exactly.

Soule

Guess some people just identify better with same sex characters. For me a big thing is posture, I remember I went female troll in WoW just cause it annoyed me how hunched the males are, so I'd probs go female WD, I was definitely going to go male Wizard until I heard his voice and it just reminds me of too many animes and I really like the female Wizard VA

zlatko

Banned
Weird 'cause I always choose a male protagonist in games. Don't know why, just always have.

I too always pick duders. Allows me more immersion to make me feel like I am this bad ass mother fucker.

Picking a lady draws me out of the experience a bit, and plus I'm not turned on by pixel chicks.

Granted in Metal Gear Online all that went out the window because those ladies are fine, and they were a smaller target than male's in the multiplayer.

Guess some people just identify better with same sex characters. For me a big thing is posture, I remember I went female troll in WoW just cause it annoyed me how hunched the males are, so I'd probs go female WD, I was definitely going to go male Wizard until I heard his voice and it just reminds me of too many animes and I really like the female Wizard VA

Also because Izula is great? :D?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Diablo 1 doesn't like Win 7 64 bit :( Was giving me headaches trying to figure out the discolouration and things just got weird =/

I saw a fix this morning.

Evilore said:
- open regedit
- navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Diablo"
- make sure the key "Flags" is set to "00 08 00 00" (hex mode)
- make sure the key "ID" is set to "7c 89 fc 3a" (hex mode)
- repeat for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Diablo"
- quit regedit and retry
Of course D1 compatibility setting still need to be set to:
- Win2k mode (or earlier)
- disable desktop composition
- run as admin

Island

Well that doesn't help me at all! :*(

Good to hear you got it working though no problem, given I've played Diablo 1 a lot more than 2, I really wanted to dive back into 1 :(

Reposting myself here:

Re Windows 7 64 bit running Diablo 1: If you open up your screen resolution preferences (Right click on the desktop) then launch Diablo, your colors will be fine. It's a little easier then killing explorer.exe

I did it and beat the entire game this way just recently.

Beepos

Hmm at 15 I guess I just wanted the avatar to represent me more, and that simply couldn't be done if I was a female :p

To be honest now that I'm older I have no probs playing female characters, but if the choice is given I'm always going to be male simply because I relate to it more I suppose.

Even better D3 allows male power all the way. Male Wizard is Crispin Freeman, cementing my position to play as Alucard himself.

scy

Mmmm, dat cosplay.

Generally speaking, I just go through which I think look better and sound better. Though, I suppose "look better" tends to be skewed towards female designs rather than male.

Belgorim

I'm doing my best to study and play a bit of Tera and Dota2, but I keep checking back on threads and stuff about D3 :(

This is not good.

ShaneB

Reposting myself here:

Re Windows 7 64 bit running Diablo 1: If you open up your screen resolution preferences (Right click on the desktop) then launch Diablo, your colors will be fine. It's a little easier then killing explorer.exe

I did it and beat the entire game this way just recently.

I tried this and it didn't work :( Maybe I missed something, but it's certainly nothing complex, I mean I'm not a dummy.

I saw a fix this morning.

- open regedit
- navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Diablo"
- make sure the key "Flags" is set to "00 08 00 00" (hex mode)
- make sure the key "ID" is set to "7c 89 fc 3a" (hex mode)
- repeat for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility \Diablo"
- quit regedit and retry
Of course D1 compatibility setting still need to be set to:
- Win2k mode (or earlier)
- disable desktop composition
- run as admin

Perhaps I'll have to give this a try than.

Belgorim

I tried this and it didn't work :( Maybe I missed something, but it's certainly nothing complex, I mean I'm not a dummy.

Perhaps I'll have to give this a try than.

You should try setting your background all black. It should do the trick (Diablo wants it black)

edit: No need for regedits or changing desktop composition.

edit#2: You also need to have the screen resolution open when running it.

jkoch

The reason I play games to begin with, story. :p I know a lot of people that plays games and skips cutscenes and story. I'm like.. whats the point?

spoiler tag this, but do we know how many quests per act yet?

I skip the cutscenes in most games, and I'm sure I will in Diablo 3. I'm in it for the gameplay. Video game stories just aren't that good IMO. I'd rather read.

Riggs

Banned
I say I won't buy anything on the RMAH but truthfully if there's a good deal on there that's inexpensive I probably won't pass that up if I've got the money.

Also found this in the hallway just now
qLs3q.jpg

lol dog's been thrashing the Yoshi plushie. It's a sign..!
Wtf!?!?!??!

Well... it's getting closer. Hoping for some kickass bosses. Also... I really do hope this game turns out to be a perpetually playable one, like D2 before, a game you could pop in years and years after release and enjoy it just as much due to it's inherent mechanics.

Indeed. Considering how much replay value was in the beta alone, (must have spent 20 hours in it and that was a very small slice) I'd say the chances are looking good. The radically different classes are there, the randomization is there, and the combat mechanics have actually gotten much better than D2.

I skip the cutscenes in most games, and I'm sure I will in Diablo 3. I'm in it for the gameplay. Video game stories just aren't that good IMO. I'd rather read.

Wow i couldn't imagine skipping the bound-to-be glorious d3 cinematics/cut scenes. Story is very, very important to me in games. I feel like there's no point to playing without a story.

ShaneB

Killing explorer.exe works too... but is more of a pain.

Yeah, I wanted something a bit more permanent instead of having to do it every single time I ran it :(

You should try setting your background all black. It should do the trick (Diablo wants it black)

edit: No need for regedits or changing desktop composition.

edit#2: You also need to have the screen resolution open when running it.

What an odd thing to do if that is indeed what would work. Guess I'll try again when I get home later tonight.

forrest

formerly nacire
Okay the Battletag list has been updated to this point in the thread. If you've posted your battletag already and it's not in the list shoot me a pm. Otherwise, continue posting them here. Thanks!

So apparently the D3 Facebook page posted a poll asking what class people are going to play, and the votes as of when I saw it were as follows:

Barb: 6.6k
DH: 6k
Monk: 4.7k
Wizard: 4.3k
WD: 3.6k

Honestly, I would have thought Wizard would be higher up than that, and that fewer people would be so hard for the DH (which I'm playing second).

After looking at the armory I am starting to feel that a few months in everybody will have everything. There are 1 or 2 uniques for each slot and they are level 60. Unlike diablo 2 where there were many unique gloves or boots for example that even at level 25 or 30 would be worn by level 80's due to % stats. So i figure at level 60 everyone will be farming the 1 or 2 uniques per slot and everyone will have the same gear.

Don't get me wrong, I am more excited for this game than Yoshi, I just miss Runewords and more lewts :(

kyubajin

I love how the WD seems to be the underdog yet a ton of people will probably switch when they discover the immortal sacrifice build :D feelsgoodman

After looking at the armory I am starting to feel that a few months in everybody will have everything. There are 1 or 2 uniques for each slot and they are level 60. Unlike diablo 2 where there were many unique gloves or boots for example that even at level 25 or 30 would be worn by level 80's due to % stats. So i figure at level 60 everyone will be farming the 1 or 2 uniques per slot and everyone will have the same gear.

Don't get me wrong, I am more excited for this game than Yoshi, I just miss Runewords and more lewts :(

They've gone on record saying that the only things they've shown in the armory are the uniques. There will be a ton of rares which will be potentially better than the uniques, and that's not including the sets, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom