• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainaurdur

I was hesitant about adding the authentication to my account since I did it for SWTOR and became annoyed having to enter it every time. But with just having to enter it once a week or so? That's not so bad. Done.

Using my android based phone for now. But depending on how the fob looks...

That's sort of the point of the region column. Playing in North America (Central Time), I don't really care if I'm playing with people on the East Coast or West Coast - there's enough overlap there, since there's only 3 hours difference between the coasts. Europe is a similar situation, with more people going to be clustered in a few time zones. It's not really my call to make though whether to add a new column.

I got that. It's more for convenience than anything. Knowing which NA players I'm most likely to have a similar schedule to would aid in who I (not so) randomly add to my friends.

That said, I don't have much of a solid group for D3 so if anyone is looking for a Monk to add to a diversity party I'd be up for it.

injurai

Banned
I was hesitant about adding the authentication to my account since I did it for SWTOR and became annoyed having to enter it every time. But with just having to enter it once a week or so? That's not so bad. Done.

You only have to do it once a week? Didn't know that. I may look into getting one.

Megasoum

Banned
Don't they have the authenticator for every smartphone imaginable at this point?

Yeah I used to have it on my super old Blackberry bold before I got my iPhone... You had to pay for it (I think it was 1$) to get the app on the BB... It's free on iPhone/Android.

You only have to do it once a week? Didn't know that. I may look into getting one.

Yes, it's not really that often at all so long as you're logging in from the same IP.

Note that you will have to enter it every time to access your account details on the web, though it will keep you logged in to be able to post on the forums, and modify/look at your armory for longer.

I might grab the key fob physical one to swap for the mobile authenticator on my iPod, which is old, and sometimes unreliable in terms of the battery.

Ferrio

Banned

Diablo is going to be a MUCH bigger target than SWTOR was... trust me you want it even if you have to enter it everytime.

injurai

Banned
Yes, it's not really that often at all so long as you're logging in from the same IP.

Note that you will have to enter it every time to access your account details on the web, though it will keep you logged in to be able to post on the forums, and modify/look at your armory for longer.

I'll might grab the key fob physical one to swap for the mobile authenticator on my iPod, which is old, and sometimes unreliable in terms of the battery.

Yeah I don't have a smart phone, the fobs are really reasonably priced. I might grab one if they put out a D3 version.

Been hacked on my WoW account so been using the authenticator app ever since.

Same here. My Battle.net account was compromised twice. One was due to my email being social engineered.

This was over a year ago around the time of the Ps3 hack. but ever since then I have been using the authenticater as well has text msg alerts.

Alex

Diablo is going to be a MUCH bigger target than SWTOR was... trust me you want it even if you have to enter it everytime.

They changed WoW a little while ago so where you only had to enter it once unless you tried to log in at a different PC or something, so I'd imagine it'll be like that for Diablo III. Wish they could do that with the website! I'm starting to wish they'd just turn their game launchers into a global launcher that also includes the site data and account info.

Oddly, there was a lot of commotion about that, people worried about like... roommates getting on their accounts and shit? As you can imagine from Blizzards boards, there were a lot of REALLY weird and stupid concerns. What kind of fucking living conditions do you have where your roommates know your passwords and sneak onto your video game accounts.

The android authenticator kind of is a hassle for me because I tend to wipe my phone and install new roms on it from time to time, and if I ever forgot to deactivate the authenticator app before wiping the phone, it would lock me out until I called blizz tech support to get it sorted out. I really need to get a physical authenticator just in case that ever happens

Valnen

They changed WoW a little while ago so where you only had to enter it once unless you tried to log in at a different PC or something, so I'd imagine it'll be like that for Diablo III

Oddly, there was a lot of commotion about that, people worried about like... roommates getting on their accounts and shit? What kind of fucking living conditions do you have where your roommates know your passwords and sneak onto your video game accounts.

Actually I think they were more worried about hackers spoofing their IP after getting keylogged, thus rendering the authenticator useless. IDK if that's something they can do or not?

Alex

Actually I think they were more worried about hackers spoofing their IP after getting keylogged. IDK if that's something they can do or not?

I dunno, the example I gave is what I seriously saw the most of. People worried about roommates/friends/family logging onto their shit. These posts complaining about the change were EVERYWHERE too and Blizzard ultimately had to make it optional to shut these morons up, it was bonkers.

Weirdest posting trend I've seen on Battle.net since the (large) thread of people wanting to sue Blizzard for changing the Draenei Paladin mount. (one of which claiming severe emotional distress and wanting to quit but couldn't for whatever reason full blown WoW addicts justify shit to themselves)

ShaneB

I've got a physical authenticator. It's not a hassle at all. Kinda wish it was Diablo skinned though instead of SC2 :( Ah well.

and the addiction begins again already, just got lost in a quick Diablo 1 session.

The authenticator will activate any time it detects a change in your IP from wherever you are trying to log in from. So if you move around between computers or have a funky ISP or sat internet, you will have to enter it constantly, if not then as long as there is no change you won't have to enter it.

aristotle

Actually I think they were more worried about hackers spoofing their IP after getting keylogged, thus rendering the authenticator useless. IDK if that's something they can do or not?

Impossible. It changes like every 15-30 seconds and to remove it you need to get a code from the device itself. Someone would have to have 2 codes to disable the security in one 30-second timeframe. Like I said, when using an authenticator, a blizzard account has never been "hacked".

Valnen

Impossible. It changes like every 15-30 seconds and to remove it you need to get a code. Like I said, when using an authenticator, a blizzard account has never been "hacked".

That's if the authenticator thing even pops up. It doesn't pop up every time if a certain IP has logged in on a regular basis. It will pop up if a new IP makes an attempt, but what if the person with your password just uses your IP?

I don't know enough about IP spoofing to know if that's possible, but if it is the new system is pretty bad for security.

aristotle

That's if the authenticator thing even pops up. It doesn't pop up every time if a certain IP has logged in on a regular basis. It will pop up if a new IP makes an attempt, but what if the person with your password just uses your IP?

I have a static IP. The authenticator pops up at least once a week usually. I've had it pop up 2 hours after using it, once 3 days later, and then another time it was a week later. It's random (at least from what I can tell).

Ferrio

Banned
The android authenticator kind of is a hassle for me because I tend to wipe my phone and install new roms on it from time to time, and if I ever forgot to deactivate the authenticator app before wiping the phone, it would lock me out until I called blizz tech support to get it sorted out. I really need to get a physical authenticator just in case that ever happens

There's a recovery mode now. Just save a screenshot or write down the two numbers. So if you ever wipe your phone you just enter them... and bam it's working.

Just did it so i have the same authenticator working on my old iphone and now my android. So if I lose one I'm good.

red731

Don't remember if anyone posted this but:

http://us.media4.battle.net/cms/gallery/4OG5I5QGXP211336590101898.jpg[//IMG]

Good golly!

[url]http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/5378832/Introducing_Spiral_Cats_Cosplay-5_9_2012[/url][/QUOTE]

I posted that million pages back even with the other demon hunter and monk one.

Hissho, Endless Space, I like you.

There's a recovery mode now. Just save a screenshot or write down the two numbers. So if you ever wipe your phone you just enter them... and bam it's working.

Just did it so i have the same authenticator working on my old iphone and now my android. So if I lose one I'm good.

Good to know...can you also use the SMS protect thing to remove a mobile authenticator after a phone wipe if you somehow lose your recovery ID? I think you can also keep a backup of the program + its data in titanium backup, but i've never tried it

Dresden

I feel cheated, neglected, ignored as one of those not in the beta. I will regret not getting into the beta for years to come. I still regret not obtaining my Amani War Bear in WoW, I just had to stay up 2 hours after raid and complete the timed run with my guild.

A FoS, even though it does not count towards your Achievements, is still an Achievement. I will never have the same amount as my brothers or friends that got in. I will always be reminded of this day when I look at others with it.
heh

Alex

I've never actually stopped to look at an achievement list except for when we were trying to get the red drake mount from the heroic achievement back in WoW: WOTLK.

I just never really understood the fervor from achievements, but I also hop back and forth between too many games to really bother with those sorts of mega clears, anyway.

sazzy

Quick tech Q guys:

I have a couple hundred bucks to spare. Should I get an external SSD for my laptop? I don't have enough money to buy a new laptop or time to build a desktop just yet.

My current HDD is 5400 rpm. I'm planning on getting a 64GB SSD and put WoW and D3 on it.

I have 2 USB 3.0 ports I can connect it to.

Is it gonna be worth it?

LowParry

I've never actually stopped to look at an achievement list except for when we were trying to get the red drake mount from the heroic achievement back in WoW: WOTLK.

Now those were the days. Not to mention the mount runs through Ulduar. Probably my favorite times of WoW were Wrath days.

Alex

Quick tech Q guys:

I have a couple hundred bucks to spare. Should I get an external SSD for my laptop? I don't have enough money to buy a new laptop or time to build a desktop just yet.

My current HDD is 5400 rpm. I'm planning on getting a 64GB SSD and put WoW and D3 on it.

I have 2 USB 3.0 ports I can connect it to.

Is it gonna be worth it?

If you're into WoW's and MMOs, it's really the main type of game that makes decent use from SSDs due to all the streaming tech. I can't see it being any sort of a deal for Diablo, though.

Realyn

FoS ? Full of shit, or what?

edit: Holy fuck at that wall of text. He really wrote ALL that because of that one sigil? People need to get lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom