• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow... never read so much blaming the victim... Sure we can take the extra step, but how about blaming the folks involved instead of the nastiness of some of the responses to those who have been hacked.

something wrong with this world when it's convenient and easy to blame the victims.

I think plenty of people are putting the real blame on Blizzard for some of their security policies which appear to be a bit lax. But, if you want to avoid the displeasure of dealing with it, unfortunately, adding the authenticator is still the best option.

Most of us would agree that it sucks that it's come to that, but it's the current reality with bnet.

JesseZao

wow... never read so much blaming the victim... Sure we can take the extra step, but how about blaming the folks involved instead of the nastiness of some of the responses to those who have been hacked.

something wrong with this world when it's convenient and easy to blame the victims.

If somebody steals a car because somebody left the keys on the dash and the doors unlocked, we'd sure put some blame on the victim. The authenticators surely need to be on every account and probably should be pushed more on new players (I have no idea how visible this is since I've had one on my phone for a while), but people should bear some responsibility for protecting their accounts just like they should get anti-virus software for PCs.

Everything about Act 2 is retarded. The desert phase, anyway.

Oh, and fuck the invisi mermen with the tridents or whatever. Being able to go invis so I can't hurt you, then reappear in melee range where you can 1-shot me? And diamond skin with enhanced damage absorption is done after 2 hits?

I mean, why?

Yeah not being able to hurt them even though you know that they're there is just stupid. Espeically since they don't come out of invis until they're in melee range and you can't even dodge their attacks by kiting them because blizzard doesn't want people doing that.

scy

What trick? I assume joining a friend's act 4 game to unlock that act? Hey.... wanna be my friend? I wanna get in on this. Pleeease.

Yeah, you can just join games on later Acts and get permanent access to it (assuming you finish the quest you joined, anyway). Most my alts just have Doom in Worthman/Blood in the City/Heart of Sin/Prime Evil for Acts 1-4 lol.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So this skill rune right here, "grim harvest", what does it do exactly?

grim%20harvest.JPG

I have used it for a short while in nightmare mode, but I never really understood how it works, is it just 15% extra magic find for the afflicted enemies or do they only drop some additional gold mid-battle, which I swear I have seen them do once or twice.

DSmalls84

Blue drops? I thought they were purple myself.

Phat purpz yo.

Not at all. The best thing to do is simply search for the specific legendary and compare stats.

I sold my legendary belt for 25K, and there were a lot of cheaper ones available with even shittier stats than mine.

What level belt was it? All the items I have searched for were lvl 50 and up and almost all of them had about a 200k buyout. I also filter the buyout amount typically when I search.

smr00

Banned
1 conversation left with the jeweler in ACT IV and for the life of me i can't get that goddamn conversation out of him.

Have like 3-4 conversations with Tyriel(SP?) in ACT IV and can't get them i went through each checkpoint checking so i guess i will have to replay all of act 4 from start to finish.

Gotchaye

Everything about Act 2 is retarded. The desert phase, anyway.

Oh, and fuck the invisi mermen with the tridents or whatever. Being able to go invis so I can't hurt you, then reappear in melee range where you can 1-shot me? And diamond skin with enhanced damage absorption is done after 2 hits?

I mean, why?

I know that feel. I struggled through the first part of it, but once the mermen showed up I started taking Teleport and Illusionist. I'm still stuck on the boss, though. I got past the first bit of it the other day and then died in one hit on the last part.

Yeah, act 2 mobs are annoying as hell. Also, those cat people or whatever that seem to be immune to everything during their leap animation...

daebo

not sure what to tell you. would you rather us discuss ways to stop hackers from hacking people or something? because that's not going to do anything.

I dunno. Blizzard do a better job?

I have no issue because I use an authenticator but to be a straight up asshole "it's your fault because you don't have an authenticator" "It's your fault you were raped because you were wearing slutty clothes" "It's your fault your father beat you because you didn't put the dishes away the correct way"... always FUN and EXCITING to make jokes and blame those who don't use an authenticator.

Wow, I never would have guessed that it is that big of an advantage. Has anyone figured out what NV is equal to in terms of Magic Find %?

It's 15 mf for every stack on your character sheet, so 75% mf at max stacks. It makes a boss kill go from 3 blues to 1-3 rares and 3-5 blues.

Neki

I have no issue because I use an authenticator but to be a straight up asshole "it's your fault because you don't have an authenticator" "It's your fault you were raped because you were wearing slutty clothes" "It's your fault your father beat you because you didn't put the dishes away the correct way"... always FUN and EXCITING to make jokes and blame those who don't use an authenticator.

Okay Blizzard, do a better job.

Now, tell me how much more effective that is preventing people from getting hacked.

Answer: zero

People are trying to give genuine advice so no one has to experience getting hacked. Enough with the rape analogies, getting raped is completely different from getting hacked.

Yeah not being able to hurt them even though you know that they're there is just stupid. Espeically since they don't come out of invis until they're in melee range and you can't even dodge their attacks by kiting them because blizzard doesn't want people doing that.

I'm gonna have to watch some Wizards play act 2 on Twitch today or something. I'm not to the head/blood part yet, but I don't even want to bother because those places are filled with those guys.

I'm thinking I'll have to start using the AOE freeze. Of course, that'll only stop the front line and not exactly guarantee escape or a kill. Does slow time affect the movement speed of melees? I haven't used it in so long, I can't remember.

I know that feel. I struggled through the first part of it, but once the mermen showed up I started taking Teleport and Illusionist. I'm still stuck on the boss, though. I got past the first bit of it the other day and then died in one hit on the last part.
I see. I'll try that too. Can't get any worse.

scy

The problem is that a lot of cases are people falling for scams, phishing attempts, or giving their passwords to someone, etc. etc. That or keyloggers and other things. An authenticator pretty much stops all of those barring some horribly compromised system that I can't really imagine.

There could be other things, sure. But the authenticator is essentially a low hassle catch-all for everyone. There is literally no way for anyone to not to be able to use it somehow.

Ferrio

Banned
Yeah, you can just join games on later Acts and get permanent access to it (assuming you finish the quest you joined, anyway). Most my alts just have Doom in Worthman/Blood in the City/Heart of Sin/Prime Evil for Acts 1-4 lol.

Mind if I add you and try to pick those up from you later today?

Man I really need a 1h xbow that's higher than 850. I want that 10% crit bonus.

daebo

Okay Blizzard, do a better job.

Now, tell me how much more effective that is preventing people from getting hacked.

Answer: zero

People are trying to give genuine advice so no one has to experience getting hacked. Enough with the rape analogies, getting raped is completely different from getting hacked.

No, some of the 'advice' given is just down right rude. To be funny. Because they are so great... I don't know. I don't how seeing being a dick to somebody and suck "fuck get an authenticator" or whatever.

It's not everyone. Offer advice. some people haven't read the entirety of the previous OTs... If you're going to be a dick, don't respond. Seems simple enough to me.

scy

Where do you get all of this information? I swear you have answered almost every number crunch question in the past 3 threads. :D At least the ones asked during work hours.

I lol'd.

The Valor one is told to you in-game so it's not really that complex of a case :x Anything involving the damage formula is something I number crunched out myself during the beta and in my spare time when my friends weren't available to play.

Mind if I add you and try to pick those up from you later today?

Man I really need a 1h xbow that's higher than 850. I want that 10% crit bonus.

For Inferno? I'd love to help but my Monk is only in Act 1 :x If I manage to get to Act 4 super fast, sure! Haha.

Do you even have to finish the quest? On launch day I accidentally joined by buddy on act 2 (didn't understand the quick join was really quick) and immediately jumped out. When I logged back in later that day my current quest was in act 2, with literally not spending more than 5 seconds in the game.

scy

Do you even have to finish the quest? On launch day I accidentally joined by buddy on act 2 (didn't understand the quick join was really quick) and immediately jumped out. When I logged back in later that day my current quest was in act 2, with literally not spending more than 5 seconds in the game.

If you change Quests, I believe you lose it. I honestly couldn't tell you better exacts as I did the same for my Wizard at first to skip to Act 2 and then realized I could just skip straight to Act 4 and be done with it all. She still doesn't have access to Act 2 Normal. The same for some Heart of Sin runs I've done, though, where I never finished the quest entirely (i.e., never entered the portal).

So ... unsure. I just say complete the Quest before changing it just to be safe if you want to keep it.

daebo

If somebody steals a car because somebody left the keys on the dash and the doors unlocked, we'd sure put some blame on the victim. The authenticators surely need to be on every account and probably should be pushed more on new players (I have no idea how visible this is since I've had one on my phone for a while), but people should bear some responsibility for protecting their accounts just like they should get anti-virus software for PCs.

Yes, but your password is suppoosed to be 'locking' your door.

Your analogy would be fit if I decided to give my password to everybody. There's a password that I need to log into my account. That is me locking the door.

Wrong analogy.

EDIT: and oh, I guess I should buy my son a cell phone and add him to my plan just so he can have that extra level of security to play a video game. Makes sense.

Realyn

Yo D3GAF,

need help. Most of you know I'm playing HC and I'm at the end of Hell Act I right now. I haven't lvl'ed a SC DH which I kinda regret by now - so I need your help. How are my stats looking for the
Butcher
?

I'm thinking of putting 3 str/int square gems into my armor for resistance.

Which helmet? Voting for the resistance one.

hKOZC.jpg

I have used that rare shield for like 30 levels. It's soooo good, but lacks on armor and block reduction by now :(. So I switched to that quiver. Should I try to craft another shield?

9unPF.jpg

Also got that nice blind amulet.

DtFZ3.jpg

Keep in mind: HC AH is non existing above lvl 50.

scy

Yes, but your password is suppoosed to be 'locking' your door.

Your analogy would be fit if I decided to give my password to everybody. There's a password that I need to log into my account. That is me locking the door.

Wrong analogy.

EDIT: and oh, I guess I should buy some son a cell phone and add him to my plan just so he can have that extra level of security to play a video game. Makes sense.

$6 for the keyfob seems to be the more practical route at that point.

I hate analogies but I'm going to do one anyway because that's what you do when you start a sentence with "I hate analogies." Password = locking the door. Password for a Blizzard game = locking the door in the shadiest fucking neighborhood possible.

smr00

Banned

These are by far the dumbest fucking comparisons i have ever seen in my entire life.

scy

Oh thought you said you had those unlocked already. Damn.

Nah, just meant my alts all have those quests unlocked for their difficulties up to Hell/Inferno.

Edit: It's actually kind of funny looking at my Wizard's Quest options. "Get to to Tristram, go through the Cathedral, kill the Skeleton King shit final boss is dead. Wait, what happened?"

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
@Realyn Agile Guard outweighs the 300 damage for sure. More armor and resist are always welcome. I've not used a shield yet on my DH, but I'm thinking about it because I've hit a wall in Act 3 Hell. 2 packs of elite champs at a time are absolutely unclearable. :|

Ferrio

Banned
Nah, just meant my alts all have those quests unlocked for their difficulties up to Hell/Inferno.

Damn.. i wanted to try and farm act 3/4 :(

Guess I'll just finish Act 1 already. Beat the butcher, but that's really the only thing I've done in act 1.

I've been raiding the ice frost cavern for 24 hours now and I didn't saw that rare mob.

I raid Izual once and he dropped what I needed.

Am I missing something ?

Trickster

The thorns affix at work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETdZXzmmcrk&feature=player_embedded

Pretty big spoilers so watch if you have beaten the game yadda yadda etc.

Yeah uhm, thorns affix is horrible for pve. Keep in mind that the guy is using nightmare and hell level gear to get the thorns affix up to what it's at in the video. And the act 1 boss on normal has like no hp at all.

I've been raiding the ice frost cavern for 24 hours now and I didn't saw that rare mob.

I raid Izual once and he dropped what I needed.

Am I missing something ?

You're playing diablo, stuff be random yo.

Trickster

Is it worth lvling blacksmith at lvl 60? Atm with my monk i can solo butcher.

Might as well get him to level 10, it's not really that expensive. And then you don't have to start doing it once blizzard changes the cost of crafting stuff from him.

daebo

These are by far the dumbest fucking comparisons i have ever seen in my entire life.

It's your fault your father (account) beat you (got hacked) because you didn't put the dishes away the correct way (put an authenticator on account).

am I being over dramatic sure. No more than certain posters who are putting all the blame on the person who didn't put an aunthenticator on the account. Like I said, I agree, they should do everything they can, but to say it's their fault they were hacked... Eh, I'm not ready to go down that path.

and really, worst comparison? Must not listen to conservative radio in the US very often.

Is it me or is it impossible to buy any boots with movement speed in the AH? Been checking for two days now and they never pop up.

It's funny how some things are underpriced (2 handers with very decent damage for under 10k) while other things are impossible to find.

Maybe it's time to craft me some movement speed boots...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom