• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Shopping for deals in the AH is almost as thrilling as playing the actual game.
I got into a bidding war with someone concerning some shield that had only 2 minutes left and was severely underpriced.
I timed my final bid just right and won it on the second. It's like catching pokemon.

How do you hold Down + B?

BosSin

Is the guest pass stuff still active? I wanna test this game out in terms of stability and because the only thing close to Diablo I've played is the old Warcraft games ages ago.

Oh and while I'm at it, does anyone have a guest pass?

Petrie

Banned
To those who recommended Dire Bats...

Thank you. So damn much. I need to rethink everything about my build now. What else might I have overlooked on the WD?

geekamania

Neo Member
I'm sure 400 people have mentioned it already, but wouldn't making weapons/armor BoE prevent the AH from being flooded with crap?

It's why I said roughly, though isn't that Off-Hand roughly 70% the Main Hand (~68%)? Edit: Yeah, checking it out and 78.6/114.8 is ~68.47%.

Basically, any time spent swinging your Off-Hand is time spent not swinging your vastly superior Main Hand. Dual Wielding here will give you less average damage over time but more hits in that given interval; using just the Fist will give you the best damage per hit but few attacks.

Generally speaking, I'd just try to aim for practically identical weapons when you Dual Wield. Like, 114.8 and a 110 - 120 DPS Weapon. Unless you're aiming for something very specific with the build like many hits to generate Spirit without concern for the damage on your Primary skill (which you shouldn't do really).
I guess It's just weird/unexpected because of my experience in WoW dual wielding and never playing Diablo or games that don't really have specs.

Until I find a better shield or off-hand...

1398 damage/8230 health vs 1421 damage/7299 health/12% block/+10% damage reduction from armor in act 2 nightmare?

scy

And it really needs to be pretty much equal. Even if it was 90% of your main hand's damage, it negates enough of the 15% attack speed advantage to make it not worth giving up the huge defensive bonus of a good shield.

Yeah, Dual Wielding is weird. Really, all it is for your damage increase (barring the actual +Stats not the damage of your Off-Hand) is that you get a 15% Attack Speed increase and more attacks per given timeframe (and, thus, more Spirit/Hatred/Fury). But since you're alternating attacks between the two, you MUST HAVE a good Off-Hand so time spent attacking with the Off-Hand isn't wasted as far as the character sheet damage over time is concerned.

Basically, Dual Wielding may give you +15% Attack Speed but it also adds your Off-Hands attack speed to the delay until your Main Hand swings. You either need that delay to deal about as much damage as your Main Hand or you need the delay to be infinitely small.

Let's say you have a 100 DPS Weapon that attacks once every second. Fairly straight forward, it attacks every second for 100 Damage.

Now, you add an Off-Hand that also attacks once every second. Due to the 15% Attack Speed bonus, you're now attacking once every .85 seconds for each of them. However, after your Main Hand swings, you wait .85s before your Off-Hand swings. Then you wait .85s before your Main Hand swings. So, really, your Main Hand doesn't swing a second time until after 1.7s, .7 seconds longer of a delay than if you were not Dual Wielding.

What this means is that you need that extra .7s delay to be "worth it." Generally, this means that your Off-Hand needs to deal 70% the damage to be equal to Main Hand only. In practice, this tends to not be the case, hence my suggestion of closer to 80%. Keep in mind though, you still hit more often so it still benefits in other ways besides raw damage over time from spamming your primary skill.

99%

Here's my lvl 60 WD. The tentacles on the helmet and shoulders move all over the place too which looks awesome.

r58sb.jpg

Looks sweet.

My WD looks the same as he did at level 40 as he did at level 15 :(

chiablo

So I take it that Inferno isn't nearly as difficult as the developers lead us to believe. I recall in a launch day interview that they assumed it would be August before anyone could clear Inferno.

Are Blizzard testers just terrible, or their PR people really good at flinging BS at us?

Yeah, Dual Wielding is weird. Really, all it is for your damage increase (barring the actual +Stats not the damage of your Off-Hand) is that you get a 15% Attack Speed increase and more attacks per given timeframe (and, thus, more Spirit/Hatred/Fury). But since you're alternating attacks between the two, you MUST HAVE a good Off-Hand so time spent attacking with the Off-Hand isn't wasted as far as the character sheet damage over time is concerned.

Basically, Dual Wielding may give you +15% Attack Speed but it also adds your Off-Hands attack speed to the delay until your Main Hand swings. You either need that delay to deal about as much damage as your Main Hand or you need the delay to be infinitely small.

Let's say you have a 100 DPS Weapon that attacks once every second. Fairly straight forward, it attacks every second for 100 Damage.

Now, you add an Off-Hand that also attacks once every second. Due to the 15% Attack Speed bonus, you're now attacking once every .85 seconds for each of them. However, after your Main Hand swings, you wait .85s before your Off-Hand swings. Then you wait .85s before your Main Hand swings. So, really, your Main Hand doesn't swing a second time until after 1.7s, .7 seconds longer of a delay than if you were not Dual Wielding.

What this means is that you need that extra .7s delay to be "worth it." Generally, this means that your Off-Hand needs to deal 70% the damage to be equal to Main Hand only. In practice, this tends to not be the case, hence my suggestion of closer to 80%. Keep in mind though, you still hit more often so it still benefits in other ways besides raw damage over time from spamming your primary skill.

This is probably the clearest I have ever heard it explained. Thank you

marrec

Banned
So I take it that Inferno isn't nearly as difficult as the developers lead us to believe. I recall in a launch day interview that they assumed it would be August before anyone could clear Inferno.

Are Blizzard testers just terrible, or their PR people really good at flinging BS at us?

It depends on who you talk to.

Talk to one person and they'll say it's impossible, talk to another person and they'll say it's too easy.

Realyn

Vortex, Frozen, Wall mobs are like the biggest shit out there against DH's. Might change Fast with any given attribut as well.

Btw, scy - is your DH at inferno yet? I might need alot of help soon :eek: ... in terms of howmuch hp you need before you get one shotted from stuff like the chain from the Act I boss.

Tacitus_

Melee classes are fucked and you basically need to farm to buy gear from the ranged classes who can farm the later acts to progress.

Evlar

Banned

It's hard to take comments like this seriously when the consensus in this thread over the last couple days is that Inferno is ridiculously overtuned.

TheFatOne

So GAF I found this interesting shield. I want to sell it, but I have no idea how much I should price this thing. Can anyone give me an estimate?

g6Cpn.png

tjohn86

With 600 resists, 45k health and 16k DPS, I get 2 shot by normal mobs in act 2 inferno. Seems overly difficult to me. Spending a couple million for marginally better gear wont help me either.

Boots with movement speed and other decent stats are TOO expensive on the AH.

Two-handers with decent DPS are TOO cheap on the AH. I just got a 900 dps 2 hander for only 8000. Haven't had anywhere near as nice drop in game, and I'm in hell where I just reached lvl 60.

Koreans dude.

On a serious note, if you have a pool of 30-150 testers depending on who played the game, you cannot really compare those stats with the MILLIONS of people/hardcore diablo fans who bought this game.

scy

Vortex, Frozen, Wall mobs are like the biggest shit out there against DH's. Might change Fast with any given attribut as well.

Btw, scy - is your DH at inferno yet? I might need alot of help soon :eek: ... in terms of howmuch hp you need before you get one shotted from stuff like the chain from the Act I boss.

Act 2 Hell still. Need to get her to 60 then I should have a friend able to just pop a boss for Inferno access. She's horribly geared though.

With 600 resists, 45k health and 16k DPS, I get 2 shot by normal mobs in act 2 inferno. Seems overly difficult to me. Spending a couple million for marginally better gear wont help me either.

It seems to me you need more DPS, so that you can kill them while your defensive skills are still active.

JesseZao

A revision of my previous post:

For a tolerable 'ladder reset' just make gear sunset from being tradable. Give two weeks warning, then all of your current gear becomes acvount bound.

Simple.

TheExodu5

Banned
Koreans dude.

On a serious note, if you have a pool of 30-150 testers depending on who played the game, you cannot really compare those stats with the MILLIONS of people/hardcore diablo fans who bought this game.

Also, it's worth noting that the auction house will make things a lot easier for those who can properly exploit it. If you were relying on your own drops, it could take much longer to clear inferno.

scy

This is probably the clearest I have ever heard it explained. Thank you

Just to note, I made the example "easy" by using the same weapon speeds and all but it still comes down to having a "Something" delay when Dual Wielding before your Main Hand swings again due to you attacking with your Off-Hand. If the Off-Hand doesn't make up for it in that delay, then you'll lose damage in the long run even with the faster attack speeds.

Gila

How should I equip and stat my templar?

I'm a DH if if that makes any difference, wanting to do some solo inferno runs

Sciz

Getting really tired of the damage reflect attribute, moreso than the likes of mortar and invulnerable minions.

LordCanti

Getting really tired of the damage reflect attribute, moreso than the likes of mortar and invulnerable minions.

I get a lot of that, and a hell of a lot of extra fast + molten. Can't even run past without catching on fire and winding up dead.

This is the state of inferno (untwinked):

Wizard/DH: LOL kite
WD: possible with a few builds and persistence
Melee: nope.avi

It's in a state where full on tank build barb/monk can take 2 hits tops, but they have to take hits to generate resource, or spend 2 minutes hitting-and-running to generate enough resource for 1 attack.

Cipherr

Ahuahauhuahua. No, Inferno is terribly difficult. Maybe in a few ways its a little cheap. But Blizzard deserves heckling for even allowing themselves to be sucked into that "Noone will likely beat it in X weeks" nonsense.

There is always going to be a super small subset of people that will live in front of a video game and rush through it. Always. Blizzard never needed to get involved in that stupid pissing contest. The value of a game is not measured on how fast 0.1 percent will chew through it.

what are some good barbarian builds? i play with the same skill since level 20 or so. 50 now.

i have

ground stomp
revenge
ignore pain
wrath of the berserker

cleave
seismic slam

passive:
nerves of steel
relentless
tough as nails.

zlatko

Banned
This is the state of inferno (untwinked):

Wizard/DH: LOL kite
WD: possible with a few builds and persistence
Melee: nope.avi

It's in a state where full on tank build barb/monk can take 2 hits tops, but they have to take hits to generate resource, or spend 2 minutes hitting-and-running to generate enough resource for 1 attack.

As far as Monk goes right now, it looks at Inferno and just:

22TEs.gif

Cipherr

Its works for me as a DH. I can take anywhere from 2-6 hits, maybe even more with Gloom up, but thats all I need to take, as a ranged I can caltrop/entangling/evasive-fire after taking those hits and kite at least along with shots that life leech, so that when I take another hit, Im near full HP again, wash rinse and repeat.

But as a melee. Jesus it must suck. Making the mobs hit so incredibly hard seems a bit of an artificial difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom