• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

I guess It's just weird/unexpected because of my experience in WoW dual wielding and never playing Diablo or games that don't really have specs.

They basically wanted it to be that just putting any random weapon in your Off-Hand isn't a damage increase. You now need two comparable weapons to functionally Dual Wield.

1398 damage/8230 health vs 1421 damage/7299 health/12% block/+10% damage reduction from armor in act 2 nightmare?

I'd Dual Wield for the Spirit generation unless you NEED the survivability.

As far as Monk goes right now, it looks at Inferno and just:

For the time being, Act 1 Inferno isn't that bad :x

99%

Definately this game wasn't designed around the 5% of the player base that is already on inferno within a week anyway.

Hoo-doo

Banned
what are some good barbarian builds? i play with the same skill since level 20 or so. 50 now.

i have

ground stomp
revenge
ignore pain
wrath of the berserker

cleave
seismic slam

passive:
nerves of steel
relentless
tough as nails.

I currently have this setup. Level 57, Hell Act 3.
It still works fantastic if I keep my gear up to date.

I upgraded my 2-hander for a axe+shield yesterday for a little added survivability.
Haven't seen any elites that I couldn't take on.

Definately this game wasn't designed around the 5% of the player base that is already on inferno within a week anyway.

The problem is that the AH is only viable for endgame gear, so everyone else will just farm cash until they can twink through Inferno.

I don't think there's been 1 untwinked solo monk to complete it, yet.

99%

The problem is that the AH is only viable for endgame gear, so everyone else will just farm cash until they can twink through Inferno.

I don't think there's been 1 untwinked solo monk to complete it, yet.

I don't get how AH is only viable for endgame gear?

Do you mean that lowbie gear can't be found? Or that farming for gear is too hard (for melee)?

Won

Act 1 Torture Tools bless me with another orange/green item!

uplFh.jpg

Can't wait to identify it......and be completely underwhelmed as usual.

Shopping tour also paid off. Butcher went down really fast and his AOE wasn't as dangerous anymore. Should have tried to get hooked and see if I can take it.

Lyphen said:
The OT subtitle seriously needs to be "Put a fucking authenticator on your account".

Seriously.

smr00

Banned
Got a stomach bug yesterday which threw a wrench in my plan to get my hunter/wizard to 60 /sadface

Today i decided to go through and get a bunch of achievements (books/conversations) and goddamn it's taking forever, i have almost all the conversations but can't get the last Tyerial(SP?) and having trouble finding a few books.

Also decided to make a hardcore character since the only achievements is essentially beating all 4 acts on normal but i can't decide what class to play, i had no problems beat bosses in Act1,3 and 4 with a hunter but always had trouble with the Act 2 boss.

zlatko

Banned
I agree with OT subtitle needing a change to cover the importance of an authenticator and turning on elective mode.

Brain storm one up GAF!

Cipherr

My biggest issue with Inferno ATM to be honest is that it feels like the gear tier drops are improperly dispersed. Im in Act 2 Inferno, but the gear that should probably be dropping in this Act, so that I could farm it for weeks in order to finally kill
Belial
doesnt actually drop here in this Act......

Its like, a lot of the tiered drops are a full Act or more off. I suppose I dont have a problem with doing what I have been doing, farming the stuff that drops here, putting it on the AH for the folks stuck in Act 1 inferno who need upgrades to advance, then taking that money and buying gear good enough to get me past Act 2, but that just seems wrong. The entire gear advancement is seemingly done through the AH instead of through the drops.

Feels like farming Justice points in WoW for raid gear or something. Running heroics that drops shit you already have and no longer need, in order to accumulate enough currency to buy the stuff you really need to advance.

I don't get how AH is only viable for endgame gear?

Do you mean that lowbie gear can't be found? Or that farming for gear is too hard (for melee)?

It seems like nothing you need drops in the Act you are in. I have been cleaving through Act 1 and most of Act 2 inferno hoping to identify a yellow here or there that is not some level 57 stuff or something, but it very rarely happens. All of the level 60 items I get are clearly clearly cleaaaaarly set to a different tier. I get these 300 dps 2h crossbows and stuff. Its ridiculous. Then I use the 'trick' to go an farm the elites in Act 4 Inferno and see the 900 dps crossbows similar to my own. My only choice then is to sell it, take the money and then buy the gear I need for Act 2. It feels wrong.

Not really, people find so much stuff not for their own class anyway.

That initial sale isn't the problem though, it is more the perpetuity of these items in terms of their presence on the AH. Once the item has been used it goes back on the AH - ad infinitum - thus the cycle is never ending and the pool of items ever increasing.

What on earth is Blizzard doing with the commodities auction?

I suspect that what broke the AH before was the shear load of stuff on it and Blizzard probably felt pulling down all the commodities would fix the problem which it seems to have done. They will probably put them back up when they get new AH servers in place.

So how are people getting enough money to buy the gear they need for inferno? I feel like I hit a brick wall with my Monk. I have enough gold to buy one thing that would be inferno worthy and that's it. Are you guys just stacking +Gold gear and farming some great spot? Or did you gather the gold using all the old builds that got nerfed?

99%

That initial sale isn't the problem though, it is more the perpetuity of these items in terms of their presence on the AH. Once the item has been used it goes back on the AH - ad infinitum - thus the cycle is never ending and the pool of items ever increasing.

Yeah I don't really get this either, there should be some mechanism to take out items from this cycle. But now the whole economy will devaluate over time, much faster then otherwise.

But maybe this is intentional because the gold amount owned by players will always keep increasing too, so there will be inflation in item prices as well.

It seems like nothing you need drops in the Act you are in. I have been cleaving through Act 1 and most of Act 2 inferno hoping to identify a yellow here or there that is not some level 57 stuff or something, but it very rarely happens. All of the level 60 items I get are clearly clearly cleaaaaarly set to a different tier. I get these 300 dps 2h crossbows and stuff. Its ridiculous. Then I use the 'trick' to go an farm the elites in Act 4 Inferno and see the 900 dps crossbows similar to my own. My only choice then is to sell it, take the money and then buy the gear I need for Act 2. It feels wrong.

Interesting. But then the quesiton is, where does the stuff on the AH come from in the first place? I mean someone had to reach without the AH anyway, right?

So there must be ways to advance without getting those drops in the first place. Or just be patient/lucky, which is inherent in the genre.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Need one more for act 1 final boss (repeated) runs... on EU :3 PM me.

Cipherr

I suspect that what broke the AH before was the shear load of stuff on it and Blizzard probably felt pulling down all the commodities would fix the problem which it seems to have done. They will probably put them back up when they get new AH servers in place.

So how are people getting enough money to buy the gear they need for inferno? I feel like I hit a brick wall with my Monk. I have enough gold to buy one thing that would be inferno worthy and that's it. Are you guys just stacking +Gold gear and farming some great spot? Or did you gather the gold using all the old builds that got nerfed?

Back when I hit Inferno the gear was still moderately cheap. I dont think many people knew the value of an item with say.... low dex, but super high Vitality, 50 resists to all, 25 fire resist and a socket. I was snatching that stuff for pennies.

I also would buy low and sell high. After that I started joining 1 player games in Act 1 inferno, checking the vendor in New Tristam for the 100+Vit 25 to all resist Amulets and buying like 20 of them and slapping them on the AH for 80k-90k. People were buying them up fast as I could put them up and I was making 60+ thousand per sale of something anyone could buy for 8k by just recreating your own single player game until the merchant RNG'd the item.

scy

I agree with OT subtitle needing a change to cover the importance of an authenticator and turning on elective mode.

Brain storm one up GAF!

Of Elective Mode and Authenticators?!

Seriously though, people, Elective Mode and Authenticators.

My biggest issue with Inferno ATM to be honest is that it feels like the gear tier drops are improperly dispersed. Im in Act 2 Inferno, but the gear that should probably be dropping in this Act, so that I could farm it for weeks in order to finally kill
Belial
doesnt actually drop here in this Act......

More of a game design issue, it seems. Normal/Nightmare/Hell face the same thing where level drops are outpaced by character progression itself. Granted, Normal and Nightmare it doesn't really matter too much but still.

The fact you can get non-60 equipment in Inferno is a little disheartening :x Sure, Act 1 maybe but ... later acts? :/

embalm

Act 1 Torture Tools bless me with another orange/green item!

I understand wanting to give us loot from more places than boss runs. I love the idea of Champion and Elite mobs being harder than some bosses and dropping gear equal to the challenge, and massive chests filled to brim with hot lootz, but weapon racks and crates? That just seems weird.

I guess the new way to play is to check everything no matter how minuscule.

Cipherr

Interesting. But then the quesiton is, where does the stuff on the AH come from in the first place? I mean someone had to reach without the AH anyway, right?

So there must be ways to advance without getting those drops in the first place. Or just be patient/lucky, which is inherent in the genre.

Its coming from alot of the people who were able to cheese some of the early loopholes, and chest farming exploits etc. Those guys got way ahead of the curve and got tons of money and the best gear from those early bugs. They then helped their friends gear up to that max level by tossing them unused gear and running them through stuff.

Now most of them are the only ones able to reliably clear Inferno with alot of the loopholes and bugs patched.

Of Elective Mode and Authenticators?!

More of a game design issue, it seems. Normal/Nightmare/Hell face the same thing where level drops are outpaced by character progression itself. Granted, Normal and Nightmare it doesn't really matter too much but still.

The fact you can get non-60 equipment in Inferno is a little disheartening :x Sure, Act 1 maybe but ... later acts? :/

Yeah, I cant understand why. Can you even START inferno before level 60? Why are they dropping non max level items. It just seems badly designed.

Jubbly

Level 58, just got my first Legendary item:

Fk2Gi.png

It looks a bit shit, but what say you GAF - how much should I sell it for?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I understand wanting to give us loot from more places than boss runs. I love the idea of Champion and Elite mobs being harder than some bosses and dropping gear equal to the challenge, and massive chests filled to brim with hot lootz, but weapon racks and crates? That just seems weird.

I guess the new way to play is to check everything no matter how minuscule.

Yeah. After reading this thread about people finding legendaries in barrels, I simply can't leave a room without smashing them.

JesseZao

I don't understand the OT3 subtitle...

Could refer to a few things (like most good subtitles for these), but I took the main dig to be against legendaries. "No reason to wear blue gear [since the AH is there and you've been farming]...then you realize the error in your assumption."

scy

Yeah I don't really get this either, there should be some mechanism to take out items from this cycle. But now the whole economy will devaluate over time, much faster then otherwise.

But maybe this is intentional because the gold amount owned by players will always keep increasing too, so there will be inflation in item prices as well.

The problem is this creates a barrier of entry for later players who come to the game. It's better to just find a way to remove items completely now instead. I still think (Account) Bind on Equip is probably the best route. Drastically reduces the amount of equipment in the game and lets you still find ways to reuse some.

That or some super huge awesome incentive to Crafting with those items.

This is true, there are probably quite a few other variables to consider regarding the whole AH balance. I guess we will have to just wait and see how it pans out, because it's far too early to draw conclusions now.

Money leaves the game due to the auction fee of 15%.

Suppose you have 5 million players making X amount of gold an hour. Then the money added to the economy each our equals 5 million times X.

So to prevent hyperinflation, you'd need that same amount of money being taken out of the game because of the auction house fee each hour.

Of course this ignores lots of things. Players becoming inactive and removing their stash and money from the game, players hoarding lots of gold--making it inactive in the economy, etc.

watership

Question for Canadians buying the digital version. I'm about finally dive in but I'm seeing the game in US dollars only. Exchange is going to suck. No way to buy it digitally in CAN$? Best to buy it on disc instead?

99%

I guess thats just how it is then Ciphher :) Things should balance out in time, maybe, this is economy we are talking about :p

Still an improvement over the duping madness in D2 so far imho.

daebo

wow... never read so much blaming the victim... Sure we can take the extra step, but how about blaming the folks involved instead of the nastiness of some of the responses to those who have been hacked.

something wrong with this world when it's convenient and easy to blame the victims.

hey hey...

FUCK ACT II, INFERNO.

The sand shark things? Fuck them. And fuck all the elites. They're all taking my 100k crits and laughing at me. I'm going to do my very best to just rush through this act. Nothing about it is fun. Everything feels like a death trap (because just about everything can 1-shot you). It's like I see shaded area on the map and don't even want to see what's there.

Act 1 went relatively smoothly. Act 2 has just been painful. I feel like I'm goin g to end up buying boots with faster movement speed just to help me run.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My current sorc. Why an axe, you say? I'm still a fembarb in my blood.

ek6KL.png

Seems like most of the legendary items go for a minimum of like 200k even if they are crap.
On launch day, I sold my first legendary I found for 8k.

Hell yeah.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think it has to do with blue drops being pointless vendor trash on higher difficulties.

Blue drops? I thought they were purple myself.

Phat purpz yo.

Seems like most of the legendary items go for a minimum of like 200k even if they are crap.
Not at all. The best thing to do is simply search for the specific legendary and compare stats.

I sold my legendary belt for 25K, and there were a lot of cheaper ones available with even shittier stats than mine.

99%

The problem is this creates a barrier of entry for later players who come to the game. It's better to just find a way to remove items completely now instead. I still think (Account) Bind on Equip is probably the best route. Drastically reduces the amount of equipment in the game and lets you still find ways to reuse some.

That or some super huge awesome incentive to Crafting with those items.

Yeah maybe. It's so hard to look into the future. Will prices rocket due to inflation? Will they plummet due to supply? Will people stop selling stuff when it stops selling thus leading to inflation again?

The AH is a beast of its own and I really want to see where it goes.

Money leaves the game due to the auction fee of 15%.

Suppose you have 5 million players making X amount of gold an hour. Then the money added to the economy each our equals 5 million times X.

So to prevent hyperinflation, you'd need that same amount of money being taken out of the game because of the auction house fee each hour.

Of course this ignores lots of things. Players becoming inactive and removing their stash and money from the game, players hoarding lots of gold--making it inactive in the economy, etc.

So many factors yeah, I think Blizz designed it and now they are just gonna wait and see what happens, cause probably they don't know either.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yeah maybe. It's so hard to look into the future. Will prices rocket due to inflation? Will they plummet due to supply? Will people stop selling stuff when it stops selling thus leading to inflation again?

The AH is a beast of its own and I really want to see where it goes.

RMAH will fuck everything up.

Ferrio

Banned

What trick? I assume joining a friend's act 4 game to unlock that act? Hey.... wanna be my friend? I wanna get in on this. Pleeease.

Neki

wow... never read so much blaming the victim... Sure we can take the extra step, but how about blaming the folks involved instead of the nastiness of some of the responses to those who have been hacked.

something wrong with this world when it's convenient and easy to blame the victims.

not sure what to tell you. would you rather us discuss ways to stop hackers from hacking people or something? because that's not going to do anything.

Act 2 monsters are regarded as higher level, around 70, so our resists are effectively lowered against them.

Everything about Act 2 is retarded. The desert phase, anyway.

Oh, and fuck the invisi mermen with the tridents or whatever. Being able to go invis so I can't hurt you, then reappear in melee range where you can 1-shot me? And diamond skin with enhanced damage absorption is done after 2 hits?

I mean, why?

99%

RMAH will fuck everything up.

Yeah I'm not even taking that into account.

My plan for now is to try to buy some awesome items for my future level 60 if I can on the gold auction house before RMAH goes up. After that who knows how hard it will be to get them without spending real money.

And if the story of drops on infernoe being "underleveld" are true, buying items now might be the only chance I have of having a chance on inferno in the future :)

scy

Yeah, I cant understand why. Can you even START inferno before level 60? Why are they dropping non max level items. It just seems badly designed.

It requires Level 60. Likewise, Nightmare requires Level 25 and Hell requires Level 50.

And, yet, Nightmare mods can go down to 24 and Hell mods can go down to 47.

There are some things Blizzard could do, I suppose, but at the end of the day the authenticator really is a convenient means to an end for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom