• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

I still don't understand why Blizzard made Str only useful to one class, while Dex/Int are shared by two. And Barb stuff is still expensive as shit too.

Atrus

Gold Member
That's the oppostie of how I roll my monk. Maybe that's why I can't past Skeletton king on hell and had such an hard time on nightmare...

I had problems with the Skeleton king on Hell too, not in terms of DPS but the fact that he basically one shotted me.

I basically switched out my Dex gems for Vit ones and ran a strike and evade pattern with Serenity with Ascension rune, Breath of Heaven with the Blazing Wrath rune, 7 sided strike with Sustained Attack, and Earth Ally to boost HP and basically give the skeleton summons something in addition to my follower to gather around.

I used Beacon of Ytar, Transcendence, and Seize the Initiative.

Basically I use Hundred Fists for all of his summoning animations, switch to Serenity when 7 sided strike is on cool down and then run away using Breath of Heaven if hit by the summons which I just Vulture claw kick away.

He's a fairly slow boss that has plenty of animations during which you can attack safely.

MrDaravon

I cannot express how disappointing it is that we need the same weekly down time as WoW, I thought maybe last week was a launch debacle thing, but no, it looks like it's the normal.

It's gotta be something on their backend where it's easier to take down all their stuff at once and do updates then piecemeal I guess. I just really hope it's not usually 8 hours, Tuesdays are seriously the only time I get to play anything with my best friend outside of maybe an hour or two in the evenings here and there :/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And Diablo 3's OT3 has just passed Dragon's Dogma OT1.

Crazy!
Oh fuck, completely forgot about that game (along with every other game)... I should go buy it ._.

Haunted

Not a fan of the auction house, in principle and in execution. I prefer my economy to be balanced by the developer and confined to my game. As I'm on the lower end of the average Diablo player time investment, actually perusing the auction house would mean not really playing the game properly - because the biggest reason to play - finding more loot - is completely negated by how fucking cheap gear is in the auction house. There for those who like the option, I suppose? I'll continue to ignore it, although I admit that its mere existence sours it somewhat. Whatever.

On another note, I didn't find a reason to use elective mode until I had a bit of an epiphany around lvl 55 and completely respecced and changed the way I play the game. Advancing on hell means I actually have to think about my skills instead of just going with whatever and crushing my way through with optimised dps. Feels like some kind of sweet spot right now (which breaks down once you reach Inferno, I hear). But I'm not there yet, so it's still good stuff.

Game definitely has its hooks in me.

LordCanti

Jeez think I just woke up the neighbors. :lol

My neighbors asshole dog did that by woofing at 5:30 in the morning for about five minutes. I guess I shouldn't call the dog an asshole, since that's what dogs do, but like...chill out dog, there's no dog friends to commune with at 5:30 in the morning. Your idiot owners are the only people willing to leave their hundred pound dog-beast out for a full five minutes of earth rending annoyance at a time when everyone is asleep.

Uh...is the US server down right now? I can't connect...

Yes. Until 11 am PDT.

red731

Nothing you expect from that name
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Diablo III's Robert Pooner and the Spice Boys
hardcore 4x naked baba SK run

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Reddit post sums up Inferno nicely:
This should just be OT4 OP. Anything with minion and horde is horrendous. I had those spell casters in Hell Act IV that call down meteor casting 3 a second on me :/

I still don't understand why Blizzard made Str only useful to one class, while Dex/Int are shared by two. And Barb stuff is still expensive as shit too.
STR is armor. I like armor.
Int is resist. It's the same shit. I like that too.

Dreavus

I am theorycrafting so much that it is not even funny.
Wizard is full of great potential, but you really need to find your sweet spots.

But yes: if you do not have something AMAZING going on, you will find 143%+ magic missile + arcane torrent (Disruption) sooner or later, and that one is simply amazing for what it does. I have found it myself without looking for any guide, and used it all the way through hell/Inferno Act 1. But nowadays I have managed to find awesome variations of it, lol :D

Just a few interesting things:
1) Familiar > Magic Weapon, if you only have one slot.
Fiery familiar shoots FIRE spells. And with Conflag passive, you not only have +12% plus the 20% it shoots with usually half of your attacks, but you also have a +10% on all sources. Awesome debuffer on group play as well. Add the arcane torrent+disruption into the fray, and you have got a nice stew of glass cannoning going on.

2) You wanna be a tank, hm?
Teleport+damage reduction rune for 4 sec + Illusionist passive ->win. Very micro-intensive, but can save lives in Inferno.

3) Another interesting build for handling hard groups is the Arcane MINE. That shit reduces attack speed as well and slows, which means you can ignore the arcane slow passive, so you have one free slot. Add something like the 5 stack -> +75% damage on next cast (and torrent is channeled, as far as I know, so if you empty your whole arcane power on it, you will have crazy damaging missiles on that shit) instead, and you can have crazy setups going on.

I am still looking for THE build, but there are so many possibilities. My favorite defensive ability that still does shitton of damage is the wave of force rune with stun property.

They are only boring if you lack IMAGINATION :p

I immediately wanted to try all of these, and then I realized the servers were down.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This should just be OT4 OP. Anything with minion and horde is horrendous. I had those spell casters in Hell Act IV that call down meteor casting 3 a second on me :/.
I could have 60 meteors cast on me and I would've been able to dodge every single one... that is, if the game didn't lag like shit and didn't have poor hitboxes :p It's ridiculous how many times I've died to meteor even though I wasn't close to the thing.

Kyoufu

This should just be OT4 OP. Anything with minion and horde is horrendous. I had those spell casters in Hell Act IV that call down meteor casting 3 a second on me :/

60 STR is like 6 armor. You're never going to care about STR.

Shit I've been doing that since Nightmare.

Horde + Illusionist Wasps, with any other dickish affixes. :D

Speaking of dickish enemies, I died a bunch to those Fallen Angels that charge you in Act 4 Nightmare. Also had a bit of trouble with the mini-boss in the library, as his charge attack would one-shot me. It's not really telegraphed much (or at all) though, so I had to make sure I stayed on-screen with him, since if you can't see him, you'll be SOL most of the time. Got lucky the time I killed him with the Templar distracting him, dying, then surviving long enough for him to revive and distract him some more.

I could have 60 meteors cast on me and I would've been able to dodge every single one... that is, if the game didn't lag like shit and didn't have poor hitboxes :p It's ridiculous how many times I've died to meteor even though I wasn't close to the thing.

The best pings I've gotten since the first couple days of launch (with way more unstable servers), have been late at night. I'll get close to 100ms, which is around where was at launch.

LordCanti

Molten + Fire Chain + Vortex is my biggest annoyance. It's like getting vortexed into a guillotine.

I ran into a mob earlier that was reflects damage + shielded. So I had to do damage, but only when they weren't shielded, and only when I was under smoke screen (lest I kill myself with my own attacks in two seconds).

Rufus

Well it's kind of obnoxious for someone to be like "Hey that's pretty funny, I'm gonna upload it to my own YouTube so I get a bunch of hits/attention." So, yes.
It is, every so slightly. To me, it's on the same level as retelling a joke. The guy that re-upped it isn't going to get anything for it but a very marginally bigger e-penis, so who cares?

Yoshichan

Wait, how do you get that impression?
She always hooks on me (female wizard). And she's not interested in the Templar or my male monk :(

V_Arnold

I am thinking about this one currently:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aQmOSV!TUc!YaacZc

Archon is questionable, but it seems fitting because it is amazing to pop when you have enough defenses already, it can be a way to kill bosses fast and one can use it semi-reliably on champion packs as well if the roll is a lucky one. If not, then at least when you transform, you deal a hell of a damage. Wave of Force/Frost Nova might work better for that spot, though.

Tacitus_

She always hooks on me (female wizard). And she's not interested in the Templar or my male monk :(
Oh she asks my male barb whether he's considered attractive as well.

She doesn't seem to understand the Scoundrel's advances.

I wouldn't count on that much. She can't understand why the templar is so awkward around her as well. Not to mention that her ideas of important things include giving lectures how the grass is descended from a flower from her age while I'm in the middle of bashing zombie heads.

Kenaras

Not a fan of the auction house, in principle and in execution. I prefer my economy to be balanced by the developer and confined to my game. As I'm on the lower end of the average Diablo player time investment, actually perusing the auction house would mean not really playing the game properly - because the biggest reason to play - finding more loot - is completely negated by how fucking cheap gear is in the auction house. There for those who like the option, I suppose? I'll continue to ignore it, although I admit that its mere existence sours it somewhat. Whatever.

Prior to Inferno, using the auction house is completely unnecessary. The difficulty feels balanced around using only the drops you find, with maybe a minor supplement from the blacksmith. Decking yourself out in auction house gear just means you steamroll everything. Apparently a lot of people enjoy that, but it puts me to sleep.

I'm curious how many people never learn to play properly while leveling because they just hit the auction house whenever they start having trouble, instead of learning the skills which would have allowed them to progress without that gear. Once Inferno starts, that crutch disappears - buying the gear to overgear an Inferno act is far too expensive.

G_Berry

Banned
Wow, people are getting pings of around 100?

In Australia I sit around 300 ping and that's on a good day. Can't wait to see how hard inferno is gonna be.

Fuck blizzard for STILL not having an AU server.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I am thinking about this one currently:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aQmOSV!TUc!YaacZc

Archon is questionable, but it seems fitting because it is amazing to pop when you have enough defenses already, it can be a way to kill bosses fast and one can use it semi-reliably on champion packs as well if the roll is a lucky one. If not, then at least when you transform, you deal a hell of a damage. Wave of Force/Frost Nova might work better for that spot, though.

That build looks awful.

Yoshichan

Barb/Wiz/Witch doctor use DEX only for dodge chance ?
Um, kind of... although it is terrible for a barb to get dex over 100 (for revenge)

magicstop

I cannot express how disappointing it is that we need the same weekly down time as WoW, I thought maybe last week was a launch debacle thing, but no, it looks like it's the normal.

This, over and over again. I wish they'd only take the game down if it NEEDED it, and in the cases where it does (like today to apply the patch), I wish they'd do it for only the amount of time it takes to work on the game, and at a better time in the day. Having my shit down until 2pm is absurd. Especially because it's fucking Diablo and I play this shit single-player anyway. Makes me so mad. Oh well.
That being said, I'll be on when it's up. Hooks are fully in.

Also, Robert Pooner and the Spice Boys had me in fucking tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom