• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Now that I'm moving onto Inferno..

Can anyone tell me how to interpret weapon/gear stats?

There's the 'big' dps number, attacks per second, xx-xx damage, etc., as well as the random attributes like %IAS and +dmg.

Which of these go into the 'final' dps number at the top? How is it calculated?

The "big" DPS number factors every single thing on the weapon besides actual +Stats. It's basically just the Average Damage of the weapon divided by the Attack Speed.

Edit: 6-24 Damage Dagger with 1.4 Attacks Per Second:

Average Damage: (6 + 24) / 2 = 15
Attack Speed = 1 / 1.4 = .714...
Tooltip DPS = 15 / .714 = 21

If it had +3-7 Fire Damage and +15% Increased Attack Speed then the stats on it would reflect it already. That means the damage would say 9-31 (6-24 + 3-7 or 9-31) and the Attacks Per Second would be 1.61 which would make the DPS 32.2.

Risible

When are servers due back up in NA? Thanks for the link to the servers page, but I don't see scheduled downtimes listed there as well. Am I missing something?

sazzy

The "big" DPS number factors every single thing on the weapon besides actual +Stats. It's basically just the Average Damage of the weapon divided by the Attack Speed.

thanks!

whats the number above aps thought? the one which says 'xx-yy damage' .. xx yy are numbers

Sophia

When are servers due back up in NA? Thanks for the link to the servers page, but I don't see scheduled downtimes listed there as well. Am I missing something?

Downtime ends at 11 AM PDT, however this is Blizzard. You should be prepared for the extended maintenance. :p

Number45

Hold on. The comparison box at the bottom, does that not take primary stats into consideration either?

thanks!

whats the number above aps thought? the one which says 'xx-yy damage' .. xx yy are numbers
Min/max damage (i.e. the absolute smallest and largest hit you can get (without crits)) I think.

Etelmik

Neo Member
What is the consensus on classes? Wondering about all 5, just a summary, if there is one elsewhere a link works.

Wondering what to make my second class, and it looks like the consensus is different from Nightmare / Early Hell to late hell / Inferno as far as difficulty is concerned.

Sophia

Hold on. The comparison box at the bottom, does that not take primary stats into consideration either?

It does take into account your primary DPS stat. Due to the way primary stats work, higher weapon DPS usually means more damage tho. It'd have to be a very small upgrade in DPS and a very large drop in the primary stat otherwise.

scy

thanks!

Minimum Damage to Maximum Damage. It merely gives you the damage range. The DPS on the weapon uses Average Damage it deals or (MinDmg + MaxDmg) / 2. I edited in an example since I didn't catch your listed dagger until after I posted.

This one does. The DPS on the Weapon, however, does not.

Edit: To clarify, if a weapon says 45 DPS, it's merely due to Average Damage / Attack Speed. If it had +10 Stat or +1,000,000, the DPS on the weapon itself would still say 45 DPS. What your listed Damage does (and what the Advanced Tooltip box shows) will factor that stat when telling you how much of an upgrade/downgrade the item is.

RivalCore

Finished Hell, got my Monk to level 60 and decided to test the waters of Inferno for a few minutes.

Got one-shotted by a Shielded, Extra Health, Arcane and Mortar 5 minutes in. Yup, think that's about as far as I want to go in the game.

sazzy

Minimum Damage to Maximum Damage. It merely gives you the damage range. The DPS on the weapon uses Average Damage it deals or (MinDmg + MaxDmg) / 2. I edited in an example since I didn't catch your listed dagger until after I posted.

Edit: To clarify, if a weapon says 45 DPS, it's merely due to Average Damage / Attack Speed. If it had +10 Stat or +1,000,000, the DPS on the weapon itself would still say 45 DPS. What your listed Damage does (and what the Advanced Tooltip box shows) will factor that stat when telling you how much of an upgrade/downgrade the item is.

so primary stats aren't taken into consideration into the displayed weapon DPS, but stats like eg. +3-7 fire damage, +15% IAS are?

smr00

Banned
So i finally got my hunter to 60 last night and now have a 60 hunter/wizard and can't decide if i wanna do a barb or monk to 60.

Since many of my friends are at different levels i pretty much have to play multiple characters and 2 of my good friends are 30ish and i have a 25 monk and barb so i need to decide on one, preferably one who can solo hell/inferno farming and also work good in groups.

Also doesn't the live auction house go live today?

Also for people who understand damage what is the difference on lets say a bow that has 500 dps but like 195-xxx damage and a bow thats 350dps and like 300-xxx dps. What bow would be better? the higher DPS or the higher damage? and to hunter players right now im farming hell stuff with rapid fire missile w/ the passive, should i be using something else? i feel like the hunter has to have something more effective that does more damage.

scy

so primary stats aren't taken into consideration, but stats like eg. +3-7 fire damage, +15% IAS are?

That is correct. +Stats (STR, DEX, INT, depending on which class you are) do not show up in the listed DPS on the weapon. If you have Advanced Tooltips enabled, the Life/Damage/Protection at the bottom does factor this in but I imagine this question is more towards Auction House surfing where you don't have that tab :x

This also applies to Armor, for the record. A Bracer with +200 STR won't reflect the +200 Armor it gives in the Armor stat it shows but it will reflect it in the Advanced Tooltip Protection number for example.

Number45

pretty sure that does.

It does take into account your primary DPS stat. Due to the way primary stats work, higher weapon DPS usually means more damage tho. It'd have to be a very small upgrade in DPS and a very large drop in the primary stat otherwise.

Phew. I tend to just mouse over the vendor items looking for green, then make a decision (i.e. I'll take a small drop in one stat for a large bump in the other). I'm sure I'll need to be more attentive sooner or later...

MrDaravon

That is correct. +Stats (STR, DEX, INT, depending on which class you are) do not show up in the listed DPS on the weapon. If you have Advanced Tooltips enabled, the Life/Damage/Protection at the bottom does factor this in but I imagine this question is more towards Auction House surfing where you don't have that tab :x

This also applies to Armor, for the record. A Bracer with +200 STR won't reflect the +200 Armor it gives in the Armor stat it shows but it will reflect it in the Advanced Tooltip Protection number for example.

Fuck, I did not know that's how that worked. So you really want to be looking at the Life/Damage/Protection(?) +/- %'s at the bottom when comparing? IIRC can't you do that in the auction house as long as you're comparing it to something you have equipped, or does it not show that part in the AH?

sazzy

aha no wonder then.. i bought a dagger off the auction with the same dps as my current weapon. except that it also had +19% IAS. and i couldn't figure out why it didn't increase my dps :( that's 200k down the drain :(

Sophia

Fuck, I did not know that's how that worked. So you really want to be looking at the Life/Damage/Protection(?) +/- %'s at the bottom when comparing? IIRC can't you do that in the auction house as long as you're comparing it to something you have equipped, or does it not show that part in the AH?

Pretty sure if you have advanced tooltips on, then it shows up in the Auction House.

UberTag

Also doesn't the live auction house go live today?
The RMAH was originally slated to launch today, however it has been indefinitely delayed due to persistent challenges with both commodity trading being taken offline and gear auctions timing out, lagging and/or occasionally outright crashing (sending all outstanding auctions to limbo).

I would be shocked if we see it anytime before July. We may see PvP before the RMAH given how things have gone. (I'm not buying the June 12th estimation, either.)

TommyT

Hey Scy (or anyone else that knows)... can you give me the breakdown on resist vs vit vs armor for inferno?

I'm rolling with 400+ resist to all and in Act I it's no problem as I've been farming that easily for quite some time as the mobs nor do any of the elite/champion attacks hit that hard. The problem is that in the latter parts of ACT II mobs normal hit for 30k and I their skills aren't survivable passed 2-3 hits.

Now sure, I shouldn't be getting hit with my DH, and I'm not for the most part - it's just that kiting mobs gets tedious and of course there are slip ups with orb-walking. So I'm trying to figure out if I should just max res and my primary stat, res-vit-dex, res-aspd, etc. etc.

I get the simple math, but wondering if you or anyone else has done the number crunching on it or min-maxed it.

Also for other Inferno DHs - what are you going for attack/damage? I'm running massive +crit damage gear (275%) and hit like a truck when I crit. White damage is somewhat low, and my attack speed is sloooooow. I don't need much aspd for kiting, but I'm still curious as to what others are doing.

scy

Nope, you don't get that tab in the AH at all. Helps to know a bit about the system so you can make better calls on stuff you're buying. That said, stats at the 800+ mark and you won't see that big of an increase off, say, +100 INT for your Wizard's weapon. I mean, it may be the difference between an 900 DPS Weapon and an 850 +50 INT weapon but it's not going to make a 700 DPS Weapon with 100 INT the better choice.

You're still focused primarily on the DPS of the weapon; stats are a bonus for those really close weapons.

aha no wonder then.. i bought a dagger off the auction with the same dps as my current weapon. except that it also had +19% IAS. and i couldn't figure out why it didn't increase my dps :( that's 200k down the drain :(

I like attacking faster in general (my Wizard is basically pure Movement Speed/Attack Speed focus) so it's not that bad.

MrDaravon

Yeah I know the regular compare window comes up in the AH, but I can't remember if the +/-%'s on the bottom do or not. Fuck, I was assuming that stuff was factoring into the main number above. Probably my own fault, at least I'm not far enough into the game for that to have been a major issue yet. This definitely further highlights some of the current flaws in the search options right now in the AH though.

TheExodu5

Banned

Well, it's not a complete loss...faster attacks mean easier kiting and better survivability in general. On hit effects also become better with higher attack spead.

MrDaravon

I like attacking faster in general (my Wizard is basically pure Movement Speed/Attack Speed focus) so it's not that bad.

Shouldn't Attack Speed factor into your overall Damage stat? If I'm understanding correctly it wouldn't change the DPS on the actual weapon, but once equipped shouldn't it actually reflect on your character (aka be a good thing)?

Jinko

Items only I believe (same as the standard AH)

You will be able to buy and sell gold also, there is a greyed out gold tab after all.

Shouldn't Attack Speed factor into your overall Damage stat? If I'm understanding correctly it wouldn't change the DPS on the actual weapon, but once equipped shouldn't it actually reflect on your character (aka be a good thing)?

Yup attack speed % is probably the most potent DPS stat in the game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck it, I'm identifying the legendary.

forrest

formerly nacire
-Also looking for some general tips on my class; currently a Level 29 Demon Hunter. I'm still on normal (I wound up running most of the first act a few times due to tech issues so that's why my level is so high) but trying to look online for help/guidance on this class I seem to mostly be finding Level 60 strategies/builds and I can't tell if I'm doing it "wrong" or not. My current build is:

Primary: Hungering Arrow + Shatter Shot
Secondary: Elemental Arrow + Ball Lightning
Defensive: Caltrops + Torturous Ground
Hunting: Companion + Bat Companion
Passive: Steady Aim
Passive: Hot Pursuit

I have two more skill slots with Multishot and Smoke Screen on them, but I don't really see the use of them, at least on normal. Multishot seems alright but between my other stuff right now it's unnecessary, and I have yet to be in a situation where Smoke Screen was really needed, all of which I think is feeding back into me not being at a point where I need to actually use any of that stuff on my current difficulty so maybe I'm overthinking things.

For me personally, I started off trying to stack vitality and resistances to beat the damage in later Inferno. I quickly realized it was futile as it took some pretty high stats to even make it worthwhile. So I decided it was better to stack all offensive stats and just play as to never get hit. You'll still get hit mind you, but your play will definitely improve as the latter game demands it.

Smoke Screen I didn't actually use until Inferno, but it will quickly become your bread and butter. This will make you use your discipline quite often so I often find in my builds I'll rune Lingering Fog to increase its duration and then I will pair it with Preparation and rune it Battle Scars for heals or Backup Plan for that chance that the cooldown won't proc.

Hungering Arrow is my generator of choice as well and I love Scatter, but I'm finding that Devouring seems to just hit harder in general and has more overall stopping power. Particular mobs are very fast and aggressive in Inferno such as Soul Rippers. Believe me, when you pop Smoke Screen and have 1.5 secs between your death or his, you want something to hit hard.

Elemental Arrow and Lightning Ball is quite good, but you'll want to try Nether Tentacles when you unlock it. While it's range isn't as large as lightning ball, it can and will hit single targets multiple times for very big numbers. This too has become a bread and butter ability for me in late Inferno.

So for me, the last couple slots have generally been utility things. I try to get 5 stacks of the Nephalem buff then kill a boss, so I tend to go for Marked for Death/Mortal Enemy as one of them. When you have this up on a target, one that doesn't die quickly, you can sustain elemental arrow spam for a long period of time. This is huge in boss fights where I can plant and fire, move then plant and fire, etc. I never have to worry about hatred regen during the fight. It's a really great ability.

I often find running Caltrops with Bait the Trap is great for bosses and trash alike. You just drop a trap and stand on it for +10 crit. The trap doesn't need to be activated and you even get a nifty buff icon above your hotbar showing that you're getting it. Works great for clearing waves of trash when coupled with Nether Tentacles and also helps burn bosses down during that plant and fire time.

I've tried many other builds, stun/grenade, Entangling/Screaming Skull (lots of fun), etc. and there are lots of options that work. I heard a bit about people stacking spike traps for some pretty insane crits on elites, so I'll likely mess with that one soon! There are better solutions for different situations, but there aren't any must haves aside from Smoke Screen in my opinion. Take note though, some while viable, will be slower than others for your progression or farming.

As far as weapons go, I've tried them all and while the 2h Crossbows pack serious punch, I tend to prefer the higher mobility of the faster weapons. Bow is probably my personal favorite as it is kind of the best of both worlds. It doesnt hit as hard as the xbow or as fast as the hand xbow, but is a happy marriage of the two. It doesn't hurt that I had a 1100 dps bow drop for me either. :D

A quick note on gear. I find +Max Discipline to be insanely beneficial, but it only comes on Cloaks and One Handed Crossbows. +Movement Speed is another stat I simply can't praise enough. Aside from those get your usual Dex, Crit Chance/Dmg, Increase Attack Speed etc. If you happen to pick up any Hatred regen or other Demon Hunter specifics then awesome!

Hope this helps!

Kyuur

You mean the one that is below your main stats in the inventory? That does take attack speed into account, I remember getting a Frenzy Shrine and the number going up. If you bought a weapon with the same DPS, but one had increased attack speed, that means that the weapon with IAS had lower base damage (the weapon DPS number takes it IAS into account).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is there any utility to Whymsishire, or is it just for fun? I have the staff for Normal, and I'm wondering if I should bother upgrading for the higher difficulties.

scy

Hey Scy (or anyone else that knows)... can you give me the breakdown on resist vs vit vs armor for inferno?

I'm rolling with 400+ resist to all and in Act I it's no problem as I've been farming that easily for quite some time as the mobs nor do any of the elite/champion attacks hit that hard. The problem is that in the latter parts of ACT II mobs normal hit for 30k and I their skills aren't survivable passed 2-3 hits.

Now sure, I shouldn't be getting hit with my DH, and I'm not for the most part - it's just that kiting mobs gets tedious and of course there are slip ups with orb-walking. So I'm trying to figure out if I should just max res and my primary stat, res-vit-dex, res-aspd, etc. etc.

I get the simple math, but wondering if you or anyone else has done the number crunching on it or min-maxed it.

Effective HP stuff? It should just be:
Total HP / TotalMitigation
Total HP / [1 - Armor%] / [1 - Resistance%] / [1 - Class%] / [1 - Other%]

[Class% just being the Monk/Barb reduction]

And if you want to sub-in their formulas:
Total HP / [1 - (Armor / (50 * EnemyLevel))] / [1 - (Resistance / (5 * EnemyLevel))] / [1 - Class%] / [1 - Other%]

I have no simple way of really saying how much +1 VIT is worth except that it depends on your total mitigation; as you get more and more Armor/Resistances, VIT starts being worth more and more. And 10 Armor ~= 1 Resistance if you want to look at it that way.

Edit: We can add Dodge in there but I don't like it being used to determine your Effective HP itself.

Also for other Inferno DHs - what are you going for attack/damage? I'm running massive +crit damage gear (275%) and hit like a truck when I crit. White damage is somewhat low, and my attack speed is sloooooow. I don't need much aspd for kiting, but I'm still curious as to what others are doing.

Attack Speed helps you turn-and-shoot a lot faster. 2+ Attacks Per Second and 25% Movement speed are, to me, minimums for kiting but that's probably my playstyle, I guess.

Made a barbarian and played on Euro server. God, low level loot sucks so much. Being at such a low level and having piss weak equipment on top of that was more draining than it was enjoyable.

I think I enjoy the pumelling things into oblivion aspect of Diablo moreso than 'honest' loot hunting. Was dying to go to the AH to kill some of the tedium but gold doesn't carry over

Or maybe low level barb is just really boring

MrDaravon

Does anyone have a list of how all attributes are affected by stats (ex. 1 STR = 1 Armor)? I just looked and couldn't find anything, or what I did find was people arguing over whether or not a posted conversion was accurate or not.

Yup attack speed % is probably the most potent DPS stat in the game.

Right, so two questions then (I'm having zero success trying to find or ask for information anywhere else)

-Does attack speed % reflect on your actual Damage stat? Like say if my Damage stat is 5000 and I equip a weapon with the exact same stats but it has 10% attack speed does your Damage stat reflect that and show 5500 (or whatever)?

-Does attack speed % also affect secondary abilities, like for example the DH Lightning Ball? I tried that a bit but only had things that upped it slightly so I couldn't really tell, and didn't want to drop serious money without knowing for sure.

Man, as frustrating as Inferno is, I find the challenge refreshing. Feels like I haven't plaything anything as difficult in years. Maybe decades.

inky

So, will character names ever show for other people? i'd like to think I didn't name my female WD 'Shamantha' for nothing.

Number45

They should make "Extremely Advanced Tooltips" option so we could actually properly judge our items and skills :|
Along with elective mode, this is another thing that's annoying is not switched on from the outset. I switched it right on because the first thing I do in any game is go through the options - but if I hadn't I probably would have been making all kinds of stupid decisions on my gear. :/

Hmm, I'm almost positive it does. Not that I can check now anyhow. Oh well.
Just logged in, doesn't show up for me with advanced tooltips enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom