• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattiator

Ah okay. VIT =/= HP. 1 VIT = 20 HP.

Ahhhh IcIc I'm a somewhat newb to how this all works played alot of diablo 1 & 2 but never got into stats.

Soooo is there any multiplyer for dps or armor or is that just the number at the bottom of the stats.

Thanks, I love this game :)

scy

Ohhhhhh okay that makes sense; I thought 50 DPS with 2 attacks per second meant you were doing 50 DPS twice a second. I completely agree, but then I'm still confused with how it works if you pick up say a sword that's 100 DPS but has 15% attack speed on it. Unless I misunderstood I thought that the 15% attack speed stat doesn't factor into the 100, so in that scenario shouldn't that realistically make your DPS 115?

Sorry, the Increased Attack Speed on the Weapon is already factored (e.g., 1.4 Attacks Per Second Dagger will show 1.61 if it has 15% Increased Attack Speed on it). If you have +15% on your Gloves, it won't change what the weapon says but will show it in the Character Screen > Details > Attacks Per Second part.

And, again, the Advanced Tooltip will factor all this for you when it tells you Life/Damage/Protection upgrades. It's just the actual weapon numbers don't reflect stats not on the Weapon, basically. It's the same reason why +Primary Stats don't change the listed damage of the weapon since it varies by class and by your current stats.

How are you getting that much move speed?

Also, thanks for all the info - i'll copy it and dig into it more trying a few different possible scenarios.

Boots (+12%), Hammer Jammers Legs (+6%), Unity Ring (+7%). Legs are temporary since I didn't want to deal with finding a Lacuni Prowler with Gold Find% that didn't make me cry and the Legs come with Gold Find anyway.

Ideally, I'd go for Boj Anglers Boots (Attack Speed%, Movement Speed%) and Lacuni Prowlers Bracers (Attack Speed%, Movement Speed%) and a really sweet Unity (Movement Speed%, can random stat Attack Speed%).

Also, it's nice to actually equip some damn Legendaries.

rybrad

re: monk with life on hit.

Say I go way of hundred fists and my life on hit is 500.

If I land all the punches on one enemy (I'll assume 10 in three clicks) that's 5k? Or is it per mouse click?
AoE attacks have a reduced % of the life per hit applied per each mob you hit so it is not grossly overpowered on packs. I imagine hundred fists would have a similar reduction with it spread out over the hits. I might test this out when servers are back up and see if that is the case.

Etelmik

Neo Member
They are. Worst Inferno class is Monk, so everything else is viable.
I'm personally gonna roll either DH or Wiz once I hit that Act 2 wall as my Monk.

So it seems like melee are hardest with monk being worst, then Wiz and DH are the best, and WD is okay. Would that be a good summary?

I keep asking for a summary and no one can give me one.

rCIZZLE

Um what? I thought DPS is the thing to go for because it already has factured in how FAST the weapon is? So it shouldnt matter if it's slower, if the DPS is higher than you are handing out more dmg.

Faster weps can create stun lock in some situations which makes IAS/wep speed more important than any stat when it happens.

MrDaravon

Sorry, the Increased Attack Speed on the Weapon is already factored (e.g., 1.4 Attacks Per Second Dagger will show 1.61 if it has 15% Increased Attack Speed on it). If you have +15% on your Gloves, it won't change what the weapon says but will show it in the Character Screen > Details > Attacks Per Second part.

And, again, the Advanced Tooltip will factor all this for you when it tells you Life/Damage/Protection upgrades. It's just the actual weapon numbers don't reflect stats not on the Weapon, basically. It's the same reason why +Primary Stats don't change the listed damage of the weapon since it varies by class and by your current stats.

Okaaay, that makes total sense now. Will definitely have to start paying more attention to the =/-%'s than the other stuff now, thanks so much for explaining. Now I'm just annoyed at the search options in the Auction House.

RDreamer

that is going to give me nightmares tonight, just replace arcane with mortar

I had an illusionist with mortar, plague, and shielding I think. The entire screen was nothing but dudes throwing mortars everywhere. You couldn't step anywhere. It was ridiculous.

scy

Um what? I thought DPS is the thing to go for because it already has factured in how FAST the weapon is? So it shouldnt matter if it's slower, if the DPS is higher than you are handing out more dmg.

Anyway, bought this for 85k. Thougt it was a steal. Am I right?

The listed Weapon DPS factors the speed, yes, and that was my point; the Weapon DPS already factors in the Speed of the Weapon so two Weapons with different speeds but the same DPS will still be the same DPS.

But, attack with a 1 Attack Per Second weapon and then attack with 2 (or more) Attacks Per Second if you can. It's pretty noticeable difference in how they attack. It also changes how fast you recover from attacking so higher Attacks Per Second means you kite "better."

Edit: 400 DPS Level 56 1H isn't bad at all, I think. I haven't checked the AH in awhile for non-60 Weapons though so can't say much on the price :(

Being faster is generally better even if that is the case because you get more crits.

TommyT

Boots (+12%), Hammer Jammers Legs (+6%), Unity Ring (+7%). Legs are temporary since I didn't want to deal with finding a Lacuni Prowler with Gold Find% that didn't make me cry and the Legs come with Gold Find anyway.

Ideally, I'd go for Boj Anglers Boots (Attack Speed%, Movement Speed%) and Lacuni Prowlers Bracers (Attack Speed%, Movement Speed%) and a really sweet Unity (Movement Speed%, can random stat Attack Speed%).

Also, it's nice to actually equip some damn Legendaries.

Ahh I see, I'll try that build out when I get some more gold. Bought a weapon on the whim so I'm low now :lol.

From what I was asking earlier, I found this. Someone came up with a formula based off of lvl 63 mobs - if positive x amount of resistance is better than y amount of vitality; if negative vice versa.

forrest

formerly nacire
That helps, thanks! Right now SS isn't at all needed for me on normal, and I don't have some of the other stuff you mentioned yet (although I do get Archery next level). On paper I would think Entangling Arrow might be better just for slowing down groups, but I have no idea what the reality actually is on Inferno. Marked for Death also didn't strike me as useful on Normal but definitely see how that would be useful against bosses or tougher enemies on Inferno. Also hadn't thought about using Preparation really (my Hatred/Discipline levels are a non-issue right now).

Is it still worth it to try to get crit bonuses on 2h bows though? I keep reading about how crossbows are the way to go for that (which is apparently why people tend to switch to those at higher levels).

Well, I'm still unsure about the actual itemization on certain items in general. For example, there is a legendary cloak that gives run speed bonus, but you can't specifically search for that affix under cloaks in the AH, so I'm unsure what items can get what affixes. I was doing most of my learning by selecting an item category in the AH and then view what affixes you could search for. So back to crit dmg bonus, I'm not sure what you could get in it's place and for what items, but making your crits hit harder cant be a bad thing regardless of weapon can it?

I'd like to see a total slot breakdown for DH in terms of affixes for inferno. Such as:

Gloves: Dex, IAS, Crit Chance, Crit Dmg, Chance on hit to Stun/Blind/Fear, etc.

The reason being, I'd like to maximize things like Movement Speed, Max Discipline, Crowd Control Reduction, etc. while not sacrificing some other stats. Not knowing which items that can have Movement Speed for example is a pain when hunting on the AH. I know boots get the affix and I've seen legendary bracers and cloak with it as well, but are there other slots that can have the affix?

rybrad

They are. Worst Inferno class is Monk, so everything else is viable.

I'm personally gonna roll either DH or Wiz once I hit that Act 2 wall as my Monk.
Made it to Act 3 on my Monk before saying screw it and starting a DH. I was really hoping that if I made it Act 3 I could really focus on finally getting some better gear but even the easiest champion packs are too much for me.

Anyway, bought this for 85k. Thougt it was a steal. Am I right?

Looks good in the Advanced Tooltip Preview, but do you really need all that geschicklichkeit for your Barbar?

scy

Ahh I see, I'll try that build out when I get some more gold. Bought a weapon on the whim so I'm low now :lol.

From what I was asking earlier, I found this. Someone came up with a formula based off of lvl 63 mobs - if positive x amount of resistance is better than y amount of vitality; if negative vice versa.

It's basically what I said but just picking out the Resistance part. Essentially, 10 Armor = 1 Resistance = (35 / TotalMitigation)

How much HP is "worth" depends on how much mitigation you already have. If you have 50% Armor and 50% Resistances, 1 VIT is essentially equal to 150 HP. If you go to 60% Armor and 60% Resistances, that same 1 VIT is now worth ~220 HP.

Thrakier

Looks good in the Advanced Tooltip Preview, but do you really need all that geschicklichkeit for your Barbar?

No, obviously not, the stats arent perfect. But still, it's 400k and a nice STR bonus for 85...before I just sold a 270k dps weapon with less boos for STR for 75k...

scy

Well, I'm still unsure about the actual itemization on certain items in general. For example, there is a legendary cloak that gives run speed bonus, but you can't specifically search for that affix under cloaks in the AH, so I'm unsure what items can get what affixes.

Movement is Boots only normally. Then there's a Legendary Chest (quite a few, actually; some Sets too), Rings, Amulet (I think?), Pants, and Bracers with it.

zlatko

Banned
you can avoid mortars by being up close in melee range. but i play wd so usu its not possible to do that

Which works if it's only 1 thing that is a mortar. Usually it's 2-3, and when you can strike one the others shit on you. Sucks when they kite YOU and then have lava tracks + mortar. Like wtf?

TommyT

It's basically what I said but just picking out the Resistance part. Essentially, 10 Armor = 1 Resistance = (35 / TotalMitigation)

How much HP is "worth" depends on how much mitigation you already have. If you have 50% Armor and 50% Resistances, 1 VIT is essentially equal to 150 HP. If you go to 60% Armor and 60% Resistances, that same 1 VIT is now worth ~220 HP.

Ahhh I get what you're saying now. I think I've been looking at it wrong then to being with. Time to rethink how to approach a build now.

Since you mentioned your kiting DH build earlier - what skills are you running and how are you doing/progressing in inferno? If you don't mind.

Made it to Act 3 on my Monk before saying screw it and starting a DH. I was really hoping that if I made it Act 3 I could really focus on finally getting some better gear but even the easiest champion packs are too much for me.

Didn't Blizzard just mention in an update that the majority of players who have attempted inferno are poorly geared?

Time to farm hell or go to the AH.

RDreamer

i hate mortars.

As a monk mortars is about the last modifier I worry about. If there isn't anything else totally frightening on that monster, then mortars are just fine. He can't hit me with 'em if I'm in range. That's why the illusionist thing sucks, though. They all throw mortars and you are out of range for quite a few of 'em. Or if it's teleport with mortar. I think arcane with any sort of minions at all fucking sucks. You could suddenly be surrounded by like 4 or 5 of those things and have no way to get out.

Which works if it's only 1 thing that is a mortar. Usually it's 2-3, and when you can strike one the others shit on you. Sucks when they kite YOU and then have lava tracks + mortar. Like wtf?

The lava stuff pisses me off too, especially if it's those winged fuckers from act 3. They run pretty fast and are always running away after merely looking at them. You have to chase them to the ends of the map and back to kill them.

RS4-

Thanks for the whole life on hit thing.

And yeah, fuck invul and mortars. Especially if the latter have some bullshit like the poison/fire/elec pools. There are just some combinations that are really stupid.

Wall + arcane is pretty bad too.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I turned on the Advanced Tooltips via the Options, but I don't really see any difference. Isn't it supposed to provide more detailed skill damage?

SleazyC

Didn't Blizzard just mention in an update that the majority of players who have attempted inferno are poorly geared?

The problem with that statement is that the gear to beat Act 2 Inferno as a Monk drops in Act's 3 and 4. You can farm Act 1 to oblivion and likely all you'll walk away with is a bunch of gold from other shit you sell. When the pieces you need start costing 1-2 million gold a pop I can see what Blizz meant when they said that they didn't expect people to beat Inferno for a couple months.

oneils

So, I'm a bad.

Made inferno on Sunday. Last two days I tried my hand at act I and failed miserably. Well, I did manage to get to the mini-boss quest.

Problem is that I have a really hard time against rares/elites/champion packs. So I have begun farming Hell for gold. It is pretty fun mowing people down in Act III and act IV Hell. I am having fun, at least.

Not sure that I will play the auction house game (buy low, sell high) as I don't really have fun while doing it. I guess I will just keep my NV buff, gold find, and magic find up while farming hell so that I can either get better drops or buy gear.

Kyoufu

We need to set up some sort of Act 4 farming group where we go balls to the walls on farming something worthwhile in act 4, because I'm kinda tired of not having act 4 loot and not being able to afford any of it because they're 20 mil on the AH.

LETS DO IT BOYS

Owzers

seeing all this high lvl gear makes me feel like everything i pick up now is meaningless, especially debating which 36 dps weapons i want to use on my barbarian. Just finished my first normal difficulty playthrough and will start nightmare mode sooner or later.

Dahbomb

Yeah Mortar is pretty crazy especially with Jailer. Jail you -> Spam you with Mortar -> Easy death.

This is why SS is so good. It breaks Jailers. But then you run out of Disc real quick and then you are just a squishy character waiting to be one shotted.

Anyone doing hardcore in Hell and above... you have my salute.

Looks like there's a patch in coming. Can't wait for the nerfs...

Yesterday was the first time I actually had to "reload" something because I encountered something that I didn't think I could beat. It was in the Sewers Act 2 and I was up against 2 packs of Wasps (One Champion and one Elite) BOTH were Invulnerable, one of them Illusionist and Plague the other pack had Mortar and Vortex. Theoretically I could've kited them if the area was larger and had more space but the sewers is really cramped for space. Worst thing is that against Wasp you can't even clearly see the leader wasp so it was just a headache trying to locate the boss wasp so I could snipe it.

scy

Ahhh I get what you're saying now. I think I've been looking at it wrong then to being with. Time to rethink how to approach a build now.

Since you mentioned your kiting DH build earlier - what skills are you running and how are you doing/progressing in inferno? If you don't mind.

~14k HP (because lol I die oh well), ~20k base DPS (~850 Damage 2H Bow), no idea what my resists are honestly. 25% Movement and ~230% Gold Find is about all she's for but Act 1 Inferno isn't that bad; Act 2 is trolling me with the most bullshit elites every time I tried but it's fairly tame otherwise.

Skills are:
Hungering Arrow > Shatter Shot
Elemental Arrow > Nether Tentacles
Smokescreen > Lingering Fog
Preparation > Focused Mind
Companion > Ferrets
Multishot > Fire At Will

Passives: Tactical Advantage, Sharpshooter, Archery. Steady Aim is better damage but I keep forgetting to swap out since I switched from Crossbow to regular ol' Bow. Templar meatshield in use but he's pretty much terrible at that so I may just use someone else.

Ferrets are just for the Gold Find so I'd swap it out for basically anything else. Sentry or Traps, I guess.

She's about halfway through Act 2? Only worry for finishing it up will be the hilarity that is the boss fight. Not Belial himself, mind you, but those goddamn snakes.

I turned on the Advanced Tooltips via the Options, but I don't really see any difference. Isn't it supposed to provide more detailed skill damage?

I believe it just lists the Damage% they do. Advanced Tooltips is mostly for the better stat display on equipment. Or is that just how they display normally? I never checked, honestly. First thing I did in-game was turn that and Elective Mode on.

Inferno wizards help me! What are you using?

I am using
Arcane Orb Celestial Orb
Shock Pulse Piercing Orb
Diamond Skin Crystal Shell
Arcane Hydra
Magic Weapon Force Weapon
Force Armor

Passive skills - Blur, Astral Presence, Prodigy

What am I doing wrong. I feel that force armor and blur are kind of pointless in inferno because I die in 2 hits either way. Obviously I still need better gear. Right now I have 18k dmg with this build.

AEGISX

Banned
I can't play D3, it says "a new patch is available click OK to restart and patch will be applied automaticly," then I hit OK, the game says "D3 is already running".

lordy88

Anyone else going through an infinite loop trying to load the game?

I got the new patch, loaded the game, tried to log in, and the game told me it needed to restart to apply the patch. It restarted, clicked play, tried to log in and it needed to restart again...

I can't seem to log in anymore. :-(

EDIT: Ah. It looks like they are still applying the patch.

Jinko

The problem with that statement is that the gear to beat Act 2 Inferno as a Monk drops in Act's 3 and 4. You can farm Act 1 to oblivion and likely all you'll walk away with is a bunch of gold from other shit you sell. When the pieces you need start costing 1-2 million gold a pop I can see what Blizz meant when they said that they didn't expect people to beat Inferno for a couple months.

Blue Post said ..

Good point! Yes, Diablo III has an additional difficulty level, Inferno, with a very steep difficulty curve. One bit of misinformation is that loot is static in where it drops, but in fact the loot table bands are quite large. For example the "Inferno Act I loot" has a chance to drop in Hell Act IV as much as it does Inferno Act II. You will need to farm Inferno Act I to get a shot at those higher level items to drop so you can continue progressing.

I duno how true it is though.

It seems you have to farm farm and farm some more in inferno just to get anywhere, or just buy AH items.

Anustart

Of course they're under geared, they've all had their accounts compromised and are naked!

Also, if I had realized the servers were going down I think I wouldn't have listed a rare quiver I found on the auction house.

Won

I jumped into some public games during Act II Inferno. It's crazy with what garbage gear some people run around and most of them didn't have a point in resists. It's crazy.

zou

Great, the new patch broke my installs on two different clients ...

Every time I log in it prompts me about the patch and that it needs to restart to apply the patch. Then it either crashes (Diablo III has stopped working) or quits with an error (Diablo III already running). Happens every single time :/

Edit: Guess I'm not the only one. Looks like the patch was supposed to bring client performance in line with the servers.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I believe it just lists the Damage% they do. Advanced Tooltips is mostly for the better stat display on equipment. Or is that just how they display normally? I never checked, honestly. First thing I did in-game was turn that and Elective Mode on.

I can't see the Damage%, I must be blind. I was looking in the skill descriptions and on the skillbar below. I'm at work, but I'll check again once I'm at home with the game.

I hate wallers just as much as jailers, if not more.

SS can't break walls, only jails. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom