• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Shouldn't Attack Speed factor into your overall Damage stat? If I'm understanding correctly it wouldn't change the DPS on the actual weapon, but once equipped shouldn't it actually reflect on your character (aka be a good thing)?

Generally, between two weapons, I'll take the faster weapon if they have the same (or similar) DPS. But, as far as the in-game Damage stat is concerned, the two weapons will average out over time to the same value regardless of the speed. Since you don't get to stand and DPS all day, I like the faster weapons just for the shorter "run, stop, shoot, run" cycles.

Kyuur

Does anyone have a list of how all attributes are affected by stats (ex. 1 STR = 1 Armor)? I just looked and couldn't find anything, or what I did find was people arguing over whether or not a posted conversion was accurate or not.

Right, so two questions then (I'm having zero success trying to find or ask for information anywhere else)

-Does attack speed % reflect on your actual Damage stat? Like say if my Damage stat is 5000 and I equip a weapon with the exact same stats but it has 10% attack speed does your Damage stat reflect that and show 5500 (or whatever)?

-Does attack speed % also affect secondary abilities, like for example the DH Lightning Ball? I tried that a bit but only had things that upped it slightly so I couldn't really tell, and didn't want to drop serious money without knowing for sure.

If you mouse over each stat it tells you exactly what they do. You might need advanced tooltips on though. Attack Speed % does reflect on damage and skills are fired at the rate of attack speed. I noticed this extremely switching from wands to a staff with my Wizard when it made me unable to kite as well with Arcane Orb.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
On inferno it drops Act3/4 items but the champion packs are kinda the same difficulty.

That's good to know, thanks!

It's 1,000,000 Gold, not including the other required upgrades. Yikes. :( I'm still level 59 right now, but I'm guessing (hoping) that Gold drops in Inferno are significantly better than Gold drops in Hell? I have about 180% Gold Find right now.

So, will character names ever show for other people? i'd like to think I didn't name my female WD 'Shamantha' for nothing.

Probably never. They do show up if you initiate a conversation but everyone skips those.

I came across a wizard named WizKhalifa which gave me a chuckle

RDreamer

Man, as frustrating as Inferno is, I find the challenge refreshing. Feels like I haven't plaything anything as difficult in years. Maybe decades.

As frustrating as Inferno is, if it weren't then there'd almost be no reason to keep playing past 60 and beating it.

People really are looking at Inferno wrong. In Diablo 2 the endgame was leveling up to 99. When you beat the game in Hell you were still way lower than that and could level up and get items and kind of gear up in order to make your leveling quicker and better and easier. Here the endgame is chipping away at Inferno slowly. It's supposed to take a while, just like actually getting to 99 took a long time. Hell, I never actually hit 99 in D2. If inferno were just slightly harder than hell and people could get through it then what? You've hit the cap. You have all your skills. There's really barely a point to doing any more. I know I wouldn't be as motivated.

LiK

Probably never. They do show up if you initiate a conversation but everyone skips those.

I came across a wizard named WizKhalifa which gave me a chuckle

someone in my friend list has Manwich for his Barb. didn't see his name until his guy was talking. heh

Taking your character to 99 in D2 was kind of pointless though. Other than bragging rights, I suppose. All you did was grind, grind and grind. At least in D3, taking your character as far into Inferno as possible means there is progression and you get better loot (and of course bragging rights).

LiK

Taking your character to 99 in D2 was kind of pointless though. Other than bragging rights, I suppose. All you did was grind, grind and grind. At least in D3, taking your character as far into Inferno as possible means there is progression and you get better loot (and of course bragging rights).

my highest was a lvl 98 Sorc. you're right, it was purely bragging rights.

MrDaravon

For me personally, I started off trying to stack vitality and resistances to beat the damage in later Inferno. I quickly realized it was futile as it took some pretty high stats to even make it worthwhile. So I decided it was better to stack all offensive stats and just play as to never get hit. You'll still get hit mind you, but your play will definitely improve as the latter game demands it.

Smoke Screen I didn't actually use until Inferno, but it will quickly become your bread and butter. This will make you use your discipline quite often so I often find in my builds I'll rune Lingering Fog to increase its duration and then I will pair it with Preparation and rune it Battle Scars for heals or Backup Plan for that chance that the cooldown won't proc.

Hungering Arrow is my generator of choice as well and I love Scatter, but I'm finding that Devouring seems to just hit harder in general and has more overall stopping power. Particular mobs are very fast and aggressive in Inferno such as Soul Rippers. Believe me, when you pop Smoke Screen and have 1.5 secs between your death or his, you want something to hit hard.

Elemental Arrow and Lightning Ball is quite good, but you'll want to try Nether Tentacles when you unlock it. While it's range isn't as large as lightning ball, it can and will hit single targets multiple times for very big numbers. This too has become a bread and butter ability for me in late Inferno.

So for me, the last couple slots have generally been utility things. I try to get 5 stacks of the Nephalem buff then kill a boss, so I tend to go for Marked for Death/Mortal Enemy as one of them. When you have this up on a target, one that doesn't die quickly, you can sustain elemental arrow spam for a long period of time. This is huge in boss fights where I can plant and fire, move then plant and fire, etc. I never have to worry about hatred regen during the fight. It's a really great ability.

I often find running Caltrops with Bait the Trap is great for bosses and trash alike. You just drop a trap and stand on it for +10 crit. The trap doesn't need to be activated and you even get a nifty buff icon above your hotbar showing that you're getting it. Works great for clearing waves of trash when coupled with Nether Tentacles and also helps burn bosses down during that plant and fire time.

I've tried many other builds, stun/grenade, Entangling/Screaming Skull (lots of fun), etc. and there are lots of options that work. I heard a bit about people stacking spike traps for some pretty insane crits on elites, so I'll likely mess with that one soon! There are better solutions for different situations, but there aren't any must haves aside from Smoke Screen in my opinion. Take note though, some while viable, will be slower than others for your progression or farming.

As far as weapons go, I've tried them all and while the 2h Crossbows pack serious punch, I tend to prefer the higher mobility of the faster weapons. Bow is probably my personal favorite as it is kind of the best of both worlds. It doesnt hit as hard as the xbow or as fast as the hand xbow, but is a happy marriage of the two. It doesn't hurt that I had a 1100 dps bow drop for me either. :D

A quick note on gear. I find +Max Discipline to be insanely beneficial, but it only comes on Cloaks and One Handed Crossbows. +Movement Speed is another stat I simply can't praise enough. Aside from those get your usual Dex, Crit Chance/Dmg, Increase Attack Speed etc. If you happen to pick up any Hatred regen or other Demon Hunter specifics then awesome!

Hope this helps!

That helps, thanks! Right now SS isn't at all needed for me on normal, and I don't have some of the other stuff you mentioned yet (although I do get Archery next level). On paper I would think Entangling Arrow might be better just for slowing down groups, but I have no idea what the reality actually is on Inferno. Marked for Death also didn't strike me as useful on Normal but definitely see how that would be useful against bosses or tougher enemies on Inferno. Also hadn't thought about using Preparation really (my Hatred/Discipline levels are a non-issue right now).

Is it still worth it to try to get crit bonuses on 2h bows though? I keep reading about how crossbows are the way to go for that (which is apparently why people tend to switch to those at higher levels).

Someone please explain to me the freeze ray against the incineration ray for the wizard. Both have some attackspeed, same mana cost, same radius but one is having 210% weapons dps when the other only have 155%...

Then by the time you have Incineration to 155% weapon dps, you have that run for the freeze ray that goes up to 280% after 1.5 of cast

What is the benefit of Incineration then ?

Haunted

Is there any utility to Whymsishire, or is it just for fun? I have the staff for Normal, and I'm wondering if I should bother upgrading for the higher difficulties.
Only if you're at that particular spot in the game. (i.e. Nightmare Whimsyshire makes sense right after defeating Diablo on Nightmare). Whimsyshire has great magic drop rates.

Is the Staff of Herding character bound or account bound? Could be a good tool to level up alts?

scy

Does anyone have a list of how all attributes are affected by stats (ex. 1 STR = 1 Armor)? I just looked and couldn't find anything, or what I did find was people arguing over whether or not a posted conversion was accurate or not.

Mouse over them in-game.
1 STR = 1 Armor
1 DEX = .1% Dodge ... sort of. Formula is wonky, more later.
1 INT = .1 All Resists
1 VIT = + ... I never looked into this formula. I assume it's just 5 + (Level/2) but I don't actually know off-hand.

For Dodge, it has certain thresholds that will change how much each point is worth:
1 - 100 - +0.1% Dodge per Point.
101 - 500 - +0.025% Dodge per Point.
501 - 1000 - +0.020% Dodge per Point.
1001 - 8000 - +0.001% Dodge per Point.

So if you have 1348 DEX, you have the following mess:

(100 * .1) + (400 * .025) + (500 * .020) + (348 * .010)
= (10) + (10) + (10) + (3.48) = 33.48% Chance to Dodge

-Does attack speed % reflect on your actual Damage stat? Like say if my Damage stat is 5000 and I equip a weapon with the exact same stats but it has 10% attack speed does your Damage stat reflect that and show 5500 (or whatever)?

As far as your Damage stat is concerned, 50 DPS with 2.0 Attacks Per Second is the same as 50 DPS with 1.0 Attacks per Second. In practice, they do function differently but, over time, they'll be the same.

-Does attack speed % also affect secondary abilities, like for example the DH Lightning Ball? I tried that a bit but only had things that upped it slightly so I couldn't really tell, and didn't want to drop serious money without knowing for sure.

Depends on the skill. Many skills that shoot (e.g., have an animation) like DH Arrows or Wizard Arcane Orb will. There's some instant skills that will as well; Grasp of the Dead (Witch Doctor) scales with Attack Speed for the damage it deals, for instance.

chiablo

What do you think the worst combination of rare mob attributes are?

The combination that caused me to rage quit the other night was Jailer + Mortar.

idlewild_

That's good to know, thanks!

It's 1,000,000 Gold, not including the other required upgrades. Yikes. :( I'm still level 59 right now, but I'm guessing (hoping) that Gold drops in Inferno are significantly better than Gold drops in Hell? I have about 180% Gold Find right now.

Yes, I don't have any GF, but with 5 stacks of NV the mobs were dropping 1k+ stacks quite frequently.

scy

Someone please explain to me the freeze ray against the incineration ray for the wizard. Both have some attackspeed, same mana cost, same radius but one is having 210% weapons dps when the other only have 155%...

Then by the time you have Incineration to 155% weapon dps, you have that run for the freeze ray that goes up to 280% after 1.5 of cast

Disintegrate pierces enemies, Ray of Frost does not.

MrDaravon

Mouse over them in-game.
1 STR = 1 Armor
1 DEX = .1% Dodge ... sort of. Formula is wonky, more later.
1 INT = .1 All Resists
1 VIT = + ... I never looked into this formula. I assume it's just 5 + (Level/2) but I don't actually know off-hand.

For Dodge, it has certain thresholds that will change how much each point is worth:
1 - 100 - +0.1% Dodge per Point.
101 - 500 - +0.025% Dodge per Point.
501 - 1000 - +0.020% Dodge per Point.
1001 - 8000 - +0.001% Dodge per Point.

So if you have 1348 DEX, you have the following mess:

(100 * .1) + (400 * .025) + (500 * .020) + (348 * .010)
= (10) + (10) + (10) + (3.48) = 33.48% Chance to Dodge

As far as your Damage stat is concerned, 50 DPS with 2.0 Attacks Per Second is the same as 50 DPS with 1.0 Attacks per Second. In practice, they do function differently but, over time, they'll be the same.

Depends on the skill. Many skills that shoot (e.g., have an animation) like DH Arrows or Wizard Arcane Orb will. There's some instant skills that will as well; Grasp of the Dead (Witch Doctor) scales with Attack Speed for the damage it deals, for instance.

Thanks, I could have sworn I moused over them in-game but I don't remember seeing it break it down like that, maybe it was before I turned advanced tooltips on or something. The only thing I don't understand is why 50 DPS w/2 attacks per second averages out over time to the same as 50 DPS w/1 attack per second >_>

I do really appreciate the answers everyone, this is the best information I've been able to get for days!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Only if you're at that particular spot in the game. (i.e. Nightmare Whimsyshire makes sense right after defeating Diablo on Nightmare). Whimsyshire has great magic drop rates.

Is the Staff of Herding character bound or account bound? Could be a good tool to level up alts?

So, I'd have to actually get to Act 3/4 for Whimsyshire to have Act 3/4 drops?

The Staff is Account Bound, I believe, so maybe there's good XP to be had.

Yes, I don't have any GF, but with 5 stacks of NV the mobs were dropping 1k+ stacks quite frequently.

Awesome. Looking forward to it!

Jinko

Right, so two questions then (I'm having zero success trying to find or ask for information anywhere else)

Its basically everything, damage is determined by your weapon and multiplied by the whatever your class modifier is, I'm not sure if the speed increase is calculated before or after though.

But yea if you have a weapon with the same DPS score which has attack speed % your DPS will increase and show in the stat window, same goes for Crit, +dmg or anything else.

Yea it effects all abilities that are based on weapon damage, which I think is pretty much every damaging skill in the game.

It does make buying off the AH a big tricky at times as you have to know how the stats will effect your overall scores, which sadly aren't shown in the AH tool tips /shrugs

Nymerio

The combination that caused me to rage quit the other night was Jailer + Mortar.

I hate Jailers in general. I always seem to attract combinations like Jailer + Plagued, Jailer + Arcane Enchanted, Jailer + Molten, etc.

rCIZZLE

As frustrating as Inferno is, if it weren't then there'd almost be no reason to keep playing past 60 and beating it.

People really are looking at Inferno wrong. In Diablo 2 the endgame was leveling up to 99. When you beat the game in Hell you were still way lower than that and could level up and get items and kind of gear up in order to make your leveling quicker and better and easier. Here the endgame is chipping away at Inferno slowly. It's supposed to take a while, just like actually getting to 99 took a long time. Hell, I never actually hit 99 in D2. If inferno were just slightly harder than hell and people could get through it then what? You've hit the cap. You have all your skills. There's really barely a point to doing any more. I know I wouldn't be as motivated.

I disagree. Endgame was pvp for the vast majority of people who stuck around longer than a few months. When you've already found the gear to quickly and easily MF late Hell the only thing left to find was amazing pvp gear for either your character(s) or to trade for stuff you want.

Unless the RMAH is a huge hit, this game needs the pvp patch and fast. Preferably scrapping the arenas and bringing back lobbies.

RS4-

re: monk with life on hit.

Say I go way of hundred fists and my life on hit is 500.

If I land all the punches on one enemy (I'll assume 10 in three clicks) that's 5k? Or is it per mouse click?

RDreamer

I disagree. Endgame was pvp for the vast majority of people who stuck around longer than a few months. When you've already found the gear to quickly and easily MF late Hell the only thing left to find was amazing pvp gear for either your character(s) or to trade for stuff you want.

Unless the RMAH is a huge hit, this game needs the pvp patch and fast. Preferably scrapping the arenas and bringing back lobbies.

Weird. I didn't know pvp was that huge. I thought it was only barely passably amusing and so I never did it, and I didn't know anyone at all that did.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Disintegrate pierces enemies so you can sweep it through entire groups, frost ray is single target.

Any naturally fast mob on inferno having the fast mod is unkillable. They just zip across the screen at light speed and wreck you. Throw in some more annoying mods like shielding and fire chains and you'll have an even worse time.

Jinko

FWIW inferno Act 1 got a lot easier for me when I started looking into more Armor and resistance, can't underestimate those two stats IMO.

DPS is all well and good but if you are getting one shot what does it matter.

idlewild_

Anything with invulnerable minions, on inferno, is almost impossible in my experience. Having 3+ minions that can spam 3 affixes on you and you cannot get rid of them is insane, having them take up space and eat up attacks meant for the main champion is just unfair.

FWIW inferno Act 1 got a lot easier for me when I started looking into more Armor and resistance, can't underestimate those two stats IMO.

DPS is all well and good but if you are getting one shot what does it matter.

The amount of armor/resistance you need skyrockets once you step into Act 2. I was able to get through Act 1 with little problem with just 42k health / 2500 armor / <100 resist all. Easily get one shot in Act 2.

scy

Thanks, I could have sworn I moused over them in-game but I don't remember seeing it break it down like that, maybe it was before I turned advanced tooltips on or something. The only thing I don't understand is why 50 DPS w/2 attacks per second averages out over time to the same as 50 DPS w/1 attack per second >_>

I do really appreciate the answers everyone, this is the best information I've been able to get for days!

50 DPS with 2 Attacks Per Second means you deal 25 Damage per Attacks; 50 DPS with 1 Attack per Second means you deal 50 Damage pet Attack. Over time, they average out to the same. 2 APS fares better with things that happen on hit (Life Steal on Hit, Chance of X on Hit, Criticals, etc.) since attack count goes up. But, as far as the game is concerned, 50 DPS Weapon is 50 DPS Weapon regardless of the attack speed of it.

Still, I like faster weapons over slower ones due to more hits over time means more Spirit/Hatred generated or more Criticals or just faster attacks so you can attack and run faster. Also, increased Attack Speed on your other slots (Gloves, Ring, Amulet normally) do change your damage and are reflected in the tooltip but, like +Primary Stats, don't adjust the weapon itself.

Does the larger (double) ray rune with the incineration cause double the damage if both ray hits an enemy ?

It's just a wider beam, it doesn't hit any harder. Ray of Frost is basically the better single-target damage while Disintegrate is the better area of effect damage. And the better sound effect.

rCIZZLE

Weird. I didn't know pvp was that huge. I thought it was only barely passably amusing and so I never did it, and I didn't know anyone at all that did.

Topics: 56,060,801

That's the trading section of easily the most popular D2 site. Having spent countless hours F5ing there over the years, I can guarantee you most of that was due to pvp. I'm surprised you haven't really ran into much of it.

tjohn86

Since I've hit the Act 2 Infero wall with my barb... any recommendations on a new class to roll? Are witch doctors viable in inferno?

MrDaravon

50 DPS with 2 Attacks Per Second means you deal 25 Damage per Attacks; 50 DPS with 1 Attack per Second means you deal 50 Damage pet Attack. Over time, they average out to the same. 2 APS fares better with things that happen on hit (Life Steal on Hit, Chance of X on Hit, Criticals, etc.) since attack count goes up. But, as far as the game is concerned, 50 DPS Weapon is 50 DPS Weapon regardless of the attack speed of it.

Still, I like faster weapons over slower ones due to more hits over time means more Spirit/Hatred generated or more Criticals or just faster attacks so you can attack and run faster. Also, increased Attack Speed on your other slots (Gloves, Ring, Amulet normally) do change your damage and are reflected in the tooltip but, like +Primary Stats, don't adjust the weapon itself.

Ohhhhhh okay that makes sense; I thought 50 DPS with 2 attacks per second meant you were doing 50 DPS twice a second. I completely agree, but then I'm still confused with how it works if you pick up say a sword that's 100 DPS but has 15% attack speed on it. Unless I misunderstood I thought that the 15% attack speed stat doesn't factor into the 100, so in that scenario shouldn't that realistically make your DPS 115?

TommyT

Effective HP stuff? It should just be:
Total HP / TotalMitigation
Total HP / [1 - Armor%] / [1 - Resistance%] / [1 - Class%] / [1 - Other%]

[Class% just being the Monk/Barb reduction]

And if you want to sub-in their formulas:
Total HP / [1 - (Armor / (50 * EnemyLevel))] / [1 - (Resistance / (5 * EnemyLevel))] / [1 - Class%] / [1 - Other%]

I have no simple way of really saying how much +1 VIT is worth except that it depends on your total mitigation; as you get more and more Armor/Resistances, VIT starts being worth more and more. And 10 Armor ~= 1 Resistance if you want to look at it that way.

Edit: We can add Dodge in there but I don't like it being used to determine your Effective HP itself.

Attack Speed helps you turn-and-shoot a lot faster. 2+ Attacks Per Second and 25% Movement speed are, to me, minimums for kiting but that's probably my playstyle, I guess.

How are you getting that much move speed?

Also, thanks for all the info - i'll copy it and dig into it more trying a few different possible scenarios.

what is patch 1.02? Any good changes?

Also what passives / defense are wizards using in inferno? I am using force armor and blur passive but it doesnt seem to help much, maybe i should just stick with damage buffs.

idlewild_

what is patch 1.02? Any good changes?

Fixing some service issue, I think the changes are coming in 1.03.

blizzard said:
The first real game balance changes, outside of hotfixes, will be coming in patch 1.0.3. We expect that because the game is new, some other issues will arise that will need to be immediately addressed through hotfixes, but in general, most changes will arrive through patches.

zlatko

Banned
Since I've hit the Act 2 Infero wall with my barb... any recommendations on a new class to roll? Are witch doctors viable in inferno?

They are. Worst Inferno class is Monk, so everything else is viable.

I'm personally gonna roll either DH or Wiz once I hit that Act 2 wall as my Monk.

rCIZZLE

They do high damage but don't see quite as efficient as DH and Wiz. They'd probably be the best if the pets weren't practically useless in Inferno from what I've heard.

Thrakier

Generally, between two weapons, I'll take the faster weapon if they have the same (or similar) DPS. But, as far as the in-game Damage stat is concerned, the two weapons will average out over time to the same value regardless of the speed. Since you don't get to stand and DPS all day, I like the faster weapons just for the shorter "run, stop, shoot, run" cycles.

Um what? I thought DPS is the thing to go for because it already has factured in how FAST the weapon is? So it shouldnt matter if it's slower, if the DPS is higher than you are handing out more dmg.

Anyway, bought this for 85k. Thougt it was a steal. Am I right?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Soul Rippers are the bane of my existence. Whenever I see an elite pack, I pretty much have to run past or go in another direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom