• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

syllogism

Inferno wizards help me! What are you using?

I am using
Arcane Orb Celestial Orb
Shock Pulse Piercing Orb
Diamond Skin Crystal Shell
Arcane Hydra
Magic Weapon Force Weapon
Force Armor

Passive skills - Blur, Astral Presence, Prodigy

What am I doing wrong. I feel that force armor and blur are kind of pointless in inferno because I die in 2 hits either way. Obviously I still need better gear. Right now I have 18k dmg with this build.
I like that build but I've recently switched to magic missile with seeking rune. It's a bit worse against groups but it's amazing for kiting and you can shoot around corners. Basically you just need more dps and preferably 30-40k hp.

forrest

formerly nacire
We need to set up some sort of Act 4 farming group where we go balls to the walls on farming something worthwhile in act 4, because I'm kinda tired of not having act 4 loot and not being able to afford any of it because they're 20 mil on the AH.

LETS DO IT BOYS

I've been doing the last quest in Act 3 to kill Azmodan. The small stretch you have to clear to him usually has 2 packs, then you just hearth to the Keep and run out into the fields to find 3 more packs. Get your 5 stack buff then head to Azmodan. I can kill him really easy in single player which is why I chose him as my farming point. I'm not sure how much harder it is with a larger health pool. I'm sure the adds become an issue and must be dealth with. As is, I just dps him right past the add spawn.

MrDaravon

Well, I'm still unsure about the actual itemization on certain items in general. For example, there is a legendary cloak that gives run speed bonus, but you can't specifically search for that affix under cloaks in the AH, so I'm unsure what items can get what affixes. I was doing most of my learning by selecting an item category in the AH and then view what affixes you could search for. So back to crit dmg bonus, I'm not sure what you could get in it's place and for what items, but making your crits hit harder cant be a bad thing regardless of weapon can it?

I'd like to see a total slot breakdown for DH in terms of affixes for inferno. Such as:

Gloves: Dex, IAS, Crit Chance, Crit Dmg, Chance on hit to Stun/Blind/Fear, etc.

The reason being, I'd like to maximize things like Movement Speed, Max Discipline, Crowd Control Reduction, etc. while not sacrificing some other stats. Not knowing which items that can have Movement Speed for example is a pain when hunting on the AH. I know boots get the affix and I've seen legendary bracers and cloak with it as well, but are there other slots that can have the affix?

I'm just wondering since I keep reading that the bigger crit stats are (apparently?) on crossbows, so just wondering if it's worth trying to get that stat up on 1h bows if it's much harder (aka not worth the payoff/slot).

~14k HP (because lol I die oh well), ~20k base DPS (~850 Damage 2H Bow), no idea what my resists are honestly. 25% Movement and ~230% Gold Find is about all she's for but Act 1 Inferno isn't that bad; Act 2 is trolling me with the most bullshit elites every time I tried but it's fairly tame otherwise.

Skills are:
Hungering Arrow > Shatter Shot
Elemental Arrow > Nether Tentacles
Smokescreen > Lingering Fog
Preparation > Focused Mind
Companion > Ferrets
Multishot > Fire At Will

Passives: Tactical Advantage, Sharpshooter, Archery. Steady Aim is better damage but I keep forgetting to swap out since I switched from Crossbow to regular ol' Bow. Templar meatshield in use but he's pretty much terrible at that so I may just use someone else.

Ferrets are just for the Gold Find so I'd swap it out for basically anything else. Sentry or Traps, I guess.

She's about halfway through Act 2? Only worry for finishing it up will be the hilarity that is the boss fight. Not Belial himself, mind you, but those goddamn snakes.

I believe it just lists the Damage% they do. Advanced Tooltips is mostly for the better stat display on equipment. Or is that just how they display normally? I never checked, honestly. First thing I did in-game was turn that and Elective Mode on.

Hey how does multishot work out for you? Saw a few people using that, I'm using close to your setup and I didn't personally see the need for it with Scatter Shot and Lightning Ball already running (I don't have Nether Tentacles yet).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've been doing the last quest in Act 3 to kill Azmodan. The small stretch you have to clear to him usually has 2 packs, then you just hearth to the Keep and run out into the fields to find 3 more packs. Get your 5 stack buff then head to Azmodan. I can kill him really easy in single player which is why I chose him as my farming point. I'm not sure how much harder it is with a larger health pool. I'm sure the adds become an issue and must be dealth with. As is, I just dps him right past the add spawn.

And if you do this solo already, then joining a group will simply decrease your Magic Find. The way Magic Find works in the game, it creates little motivation to go treasure hunting as a group, it seems.

I like that build but I've recently switched to magic missile with seeking rune. It's a bit worse against groups but it's amazing for kiting and you can shoot around corners. Basically you just need more dps and preferably 30-40k hp.

hmm maybe I will try that when the servers come back up. if you use the arcane slow passive that will help kite aswell.

f3DLA.png

Sigh. Anyone else see this one? Do I just delete this file?

scy

I am using
Arcane Orb Celestial Orb
Shock Pulse Piercing Orb
Arcane Hydra
Force Armor

What am I doing wrong. I feel that force armor and blur are kind of pointless in inferno because I die in 2 hits either way. Obviously I still need better gear. Right now I have 18k dmg with this build.

Shock Pulse > Piercing Orb
Blizzard > Grasping Chill
Magic Weapon > Force Weapon
Energy Armor > Force Armor
Hydra > Venom Hydra / Lightning Hydra, swap occasionally.
Mirror Image > Duplicates, might try Mirror Mimics.

Passives: Illusionist, Paralysis, Galvanizing Ward

High Attack Speed (2.5 APS I think?), high movement (+25%, the cap) so I can outrun what's chasing me. Blizzard helps keep space and Hydra is just nice always. Paralysis with Orbs everywhere is pretty damn good. Mirror Image over Diamond Skin so it gives me a Jail escape and because Diamond Skin doesn't last long enough for me to care, honestly. Teleport > Wormhole may be better overall but eh, I want to see if Mirror Image is any good.

Dahbomb

Walls are random, sometimes they completely trap you, other times partially and sometimes they don't trap you at all and traps the mob instead allowing you to easily pick them off if you use a proper angle. Spike Traps are really good against Wallers because of this.

Attack Speed % does reflect on damage and skills are fired at the rate of attack speed. I noticed this extremely switching from wands to a staff with my Wizard when it made me unable to kite as well with Arcane Orb.

So I had asked this question last week - but if this is true, wouldn't a caster class want a slower weapon? The mana costs of a spell don't change with attack speed (from what I noticed), so, dps being equal, wouldn't a slower casting speed be more mana efficient?

MrDaravon

Patch notes from the game client (tried to clean it up a bit)

Diablo III Patch Notes
Diablo III Patch 1.0.2 - v.1.0.2.9749

Classes
Monk
Active Skills
Serenity
Skill Rune - Tranquility
Duration of immunity granted to nearby allies from crowd control effects reduced from 2 seconds to 1 second

Bug Fixes
For a full list of documented game and service bugs, please review the Known Issues sticky located in the Bug Report forum.

General
-Players should no longer receive an "Error 14009" when logging in
-The "Select a Hero" menu will now also display the difficulty level for each character
-Several speed improvements have been made to the streaming downloader

Achievements
-All players in a party should now receive "Till Death Do Us Part" even if they don’t have Haedrig Eamon as their active follower

Acts
-Act IV
Witch Doctors should no longer receive an error if they kill a Shadow Clone with a Damage-Over-Time (DoT) skill after it's launched a Firebomb but before it's reached its target

Auction House
-The auction log in the Completed tab will now display a player's activity (bids, buyouts, sales, etc) in the proper order
-When placing a new bid over a previous bid on the same auction, players will now be provided with the correct warning message: "Raising your maximum bid on an Auction you are already winning raises your current bid to just above your previous maximum bid. Are you sure you want to continue?"
-Players will now receive an error message if they attempt to purchase an item after the 50 item limit has been reached in the Completed tab
-The "Physical Damage" Preferred Stats option for rings has been renamed to "Bonus Minimum Physical Damage"
-The "All Damage" Preferred Stats option for weapons and armor has been removed and replaced with bonuses of specific damage types
-Items which have been purchased from a vendor and equipped by the player can now be sold on the Auction House
-Listing items on the Auction House from a different character than the one currently selected should no longer cause item display issues

Battle.net
-The public chat list will now sort alphabetically

Classes
-Witch Doctor
Spirit Vessel (Passive) no longer clears debuffs when using waypoints or changing equipment

rybrad

Didn't Blizzard just mention in an update that the majority of players who have attempted inferno are poorly geared?

Time to farm hell or go to the AH.
Just to be clear, I have cleared Act II Inferno and made it about 1/4 through Act III so farming gear from Hell is not going to do anything for me.

I have about the best gear I can get without spending millions on the AH (which I don't have). I can faceroll everything in Act I and have put in probably close to 50 Warden/Butcher runs. Act II is such a putrid act for melee that the thought of trying to farm that garbage on my Monk is beyond unappealing. It makes more sense for me to reroll, use the good Dex gear from my Monk and help my group progress with a stronger class.

Shock Pulse > Piercing Orb
Blizzard > Grasping Chill
Magic Weapon > Force Weapon
Energy Armor > Force Armor
Hydra > Venom Hydra / Lightning Hydra, swap occasionally.
Mirror Image > Duplicates, might try Mirror Mimics.

Passives: Illusionist, Paralysis, Galvanizing Ward

High Attack Speed (2.5 APS I think?), high movement (+25%, the cap) so I can outrun what's chasing me. Blizzard helps keep space and Hydra is just nice always. Paralysis with Orbs everywhere is pretty damn good. Mirror Image over Diamond Skin so it gives me a Jail escape and because Diamond Skin doesn't last long enough for me to care, honestly. Teleport > Wormhole may be better overall but eh, I want to see if Mirror Image is any good.
I have to try this aswell. I have never used mirror image before so I am unsure how good it is.

The "big" DPS number factors every single thing on the weapon besides actual +Stats. It's basically just the Average Damage of the weapon divided by the Attack Speed.

So, just to confirm because I've always been curious about this one, but that includes the +% damage as well. i.e. +28% damage

That always seemed like an odd stat to me. Like why not just include it in the raw damage numbers to begin with?

scy

Hey how does multishot work out for you? Saw a few people using that, I'm using close to your setup and I didn't personally see the need for it with Scatter Shot and Lightning Ball already running (I don't have Nether Tentacles yet).

Every time I think of changing it, I find neat uses for it hitting a wider spread of enemies, especially given Nether Tentacles smaller hitbox. I've been meaning to try Strafe out with the 100% Movement rune and see if that works with my +25% Movement. Right now, Multishot feels like it's there just out of habit but I also can't think of anything good to replace it with.

zlatko

Banned
I sort of want to make a build on Monk around Seven Palms with the stun rune. It saved my ass so many times when I was using it since if you are fighting elite/champs it not only makes you invincible during its animation, but if any of the hits land it does 7 seconds of stun. Plus the damage is rock solid.

It's just a shame for the spirit cost and how long the damn cool down is, because you constantly have to spam your other heal abilities to just stay alive. Once the spirit isn't there then you are totally boned, and the spirit goes away pretty damn quick when you have a ton of shit thwacking you at once for a fuck ton of damage. :(

MrDaravon

Also getting the error with the game where I got the patch initially and it shows the game is up to date, but when I try to login it says they're a patch update available and it kicks me back to Desktop and D3 crashes :(

To be fair it's earlier than they said which is likely the issue, but ideally it wouldn't let you get to that point if it wasn't ready :p

Probably something like:

Illusionist
Invulnerable Minions
Arcane
Jailer

Move Invulnerable to the top of that list for me. I've gotten good at moving from Arcane or using serentiy when it approaches. I use crippling wave for the AOE attack and the sprit regen. I also use sweeping wind to help generate spirit. So Illusionist doesn't give me as big of a headache as I thought it would. Picking off the smaller illusions help me generate spirit. With Invulnerable, I'm pretty much forced to take the burnt of the attack from all enemies and hope I can get the champion down in time. Depending on the enemy, Invulnerable has been the only buff that made a fight impossible for me. The combo was Molten/Invulnerable and the enemy was those big things that come from the ground when searching for Kulle's body parts.

I'm a 58 Monk that's just about to start act 3 Hell.

Jinko

So I had asked this question last week - but if this is true, wouldn't a caster class want a slower weapon? The mana costs of a spell don't change with attack speed (from what I noticed), so, dps being equal, wouldn't a slower casting speed be more mana efficient?

Yes and no depends on the situation I guess, but you are right that a higher attack speed means you burn through your mana/disc etc faster.

Kind of strange I have not had a patch :S

yacobod

Banned

I am using
Arcane Orb Celestial Orb
Shock Pulse Piercing Orb
Arcane Hydra
Force Armor

my build is basically the same

except I have tap the source rune for arcane orb, venom rune for hydra, and teleport w/fracture rune to help kite and escape prisons and walls instead of a primary ability.

for my passives i run, glass cannon, astral presence, and temporal flux for the chance to stun or slow.

zlatko

Banned
Classes
Monk
Active Skills
Serenity
Skill Rune - Tranquility
Duration of immunity granted to nearby allies from crowd control effects reduced from 2 seconds to 1 second

Seriously just delete the class from existing Blizzard. The fuck is the weakest class in the game getting the most nerfs for?

scy

Well, channeled spells burn Arcane faster with faster attack speed though damage stays consistent.

Most skills scale with your Attack Speed, however, to try and keep things relatively speed neutral (that is, so a slower weapon isn't always better than a faster due to the higher per hit damage). Basically, many skills just use your DPS rather than your actual Weapon Damage. I'm not sure on a full list of skills for this however.

So, just to confirm because I've always been curious about this one, but that includes the +% damage as well. i.e. +28% damage

That always seemed like an odd stat to me. Like why not just include it in the raw damage numbers to begin with?

It's already factored, just like +X-Y Damage or +X Minimum/Maximum Damage. Having it on a separate stat lets you get even more ridiculous damage numbers on items.

Seriously just delete the class from existing Blizzard. The fuck is the weakest class in the game getting the most nerfs for?

To be fair, it's an old hotfix. It was from when a group of 4 Monks could just chain Serenity > Tranquility forever and become immune 100% of the time. Why it didn't just get a short 1s delay before it could be reapplied is beyond me.

Also getting the error with the game where I got the patch initially and it shows the game is up to date, but when I try to login it says they're a patch update available and it kicks me back to Desktop and D3 crashes :(

To be fair it's earlier than they said which is likely the issue, but ideally it wouldn't let you get to that point if it wasn't ready :p

Same.

Need a patch for the patch.

Patryn

Jumping in to bitch that the Butcher on Nightmare gave me 0 yellow items. I got three blue items, and a bunch of junk.

Seriously, WTF? Frankly, all my Nightmare drops have sucked. I only replaced two equipment pieces over the entirety of Act 1 Nightmare.

Kyoufu

As a barb, Act 3 is just impossible to farm :(

Gotta grind the downloader for the right patch to drop.

Haha, nice.

rybrad

Jumping in to bitch that the Butcher on Nightmare gave me 0 yellow items. I got three blue items, and a bunch of junk.

Seriously, WTF? Frankly, all my Nightmare drops have sucked. I only replaced two equipment pieces over the entirety of Act 1 Nightmare.
They don't drop rares by default after the first kill in Normal. You will see rares again regularly after getting Nephalem Valor Stacks at 60.

Alex

No patching error here but I tried logging in afterwards and it says I need to download the new patch... wat

Servers aren't ready so theres a version mismatch, same thing happened with WoW often, once it's all up it should just log in fine.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Every time I think of changing it, I find neat uses for it hitting a wider spread of enemies, especially given Nether Tentacles smaller hitbox. I've been meaning to try Strafe out with the 100% Movement rune and see if that works with my +25% Movement. Right now, Multishot feels like it's there just out of habit but I also can't think of anything good to replace it with.

That sounds all kinds of awesome. I hope it works out because that could be essentially auto-kiting.

Mupod

As a barb, Act 3 is just impossible to farm :(

I did a 5 stack siegebreaker last night.

I just wander around on the walls and take out whatever I can, then port straight to siegebreaker and run around in circles until he's dead.

Tyrael does most of the work. I'm thinking of bringing the Enchantress too but I'm so lazy I've never bothered getting gear for my followers.

rybrad

I did a 5 stack siegebreaker last night.

I just wander around on the walls and take out whatever I can, then port straight to siegebreaker and run around in circles until he's dead.

Tyrael does most of the work. I'm thinking of bringing the Enchantress too but I'm so lazy I've never bothered getting gear for my followers.
Get her a really good weapon and stack the other slots with MF as you get half of her MF so no reason not to!

Is the lack of rare drops on higher difficulties for first kills of bosses intended or a bug? I am cool with those drops being underwhelming after that first time through but not real crazy about the way it works now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom