• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm playing a "no auction house" demon hunter. Hit 60 yesterday and now I'm wondering the most efficient way to level.

My DPS is about 6500 (309 dps xbow). I have about 26k HP and only about 60 resist all.

Any suggestions on places to grind for upgrades? Most of this character's gear is still in the late 40s early 50s level range, but it's a slog getting through the first quests of a3 solo (hell).

OUCH.

LiK

I searched for stats and was surprised at how much people ask for such a crappy item, which is why I thought 'Hey, might as well try to cash in on this.' and put it up for a similar price.

yea, i posted a really shitty rare for 40k and someone bought it. gonna post more crappy rares for more and see if they bite.

Note to self: wait at least a year after a blizzard game comes out to purchase it.

Meh, these days you could apply that to just about every major release. It depends on your priorities. Do you want to be hooked into the online community and multiplayer as it is built up around the game? Buy around launch. Do you just care about price, content, stability and balance? Wait a year.

equil

This happened to me yesterday while the Auction House was up and down.

v0I0D.png

LiK

Trust me, the prices other people ask for this kind of item are beyond stupid (and much, much, much more than what this item is actually worth), which is why I went with a similar price. I don't want to stand out among greedy people. :D

haha

I can't be bothered trying to figure out what each piece should sell for. They make it took cumbersome to attempt to look up similar items before listing each one. So I just throw it on at the auto starting price with no buyout and just wait to see what happens. 10 item limit and fixed 2 day auction time incredibly annoying though.

Sometimes stuff won't sell even for a couple hundred gold (I assume the starting price is the vendor price) and sometimes a piece of crap I didn't expect would sell at all sells for 50k.

Also, I pretty much don't like playing solo hell any more with DH. It's all well and good until you run into a blue pack and then I spend ages running in circles waiting for cooldowns or just die repeatedly and it always seems all for pretty much nothing as the drops usually aren't very good and you don't get any kind of decent exp out of it either.

Meh, these days you could apply that to just about every major release. It depends on your priorities. Do you want to be hooked into the online community and multiplayer as it is built up around the game? Buy around launch. Do you just care about price, content, stability and balance? Wait a year.

True dat. I guess I'm somewhere in between.

Those middling mid to upper 50s rares are one man's trash but another man's treasure. They can make all the difference in the world to someone struggling through Hell or even Act I Inferno.

I got a seemingly crappy 2H staff with some INT and 780 DPS last night. I say seemingly because it had a sizeable level reduction modifier on it and sold for a ton of cash from someone looking to legitimately plow their way through Hell.

JJD

Guys anyone here has any experience with ATI Tray Tools? I set a profile for automatic overclocking on my HD 6750M when playing Diablo 3, whenever I stoped gaming my clocks would return to default settings, but I was getting worse framerates than with the default clocks.

After much tinkering I disabled the profile, overclocked my card manually and closed ATI Tray Tools program and now I can run the game with everything on high (except shadows on medium just because I didn't see a big difference) between 40 and 30 FPS.

I gained about 15 to 20 frames when I closed ATI Tray Tools after overcloking.

Right now my clock speeds are 775Mhz from 600Mhz default, and memory is 900Mhz from 800Mhz default.

By the way, I did not overvolt the card, I running those clock speeds on the default volt setting. I get around the high 70, low 80 Celsius when gaming so I think those temperatures are OK. They're not that different when I'm running some heavy applications with the default clock speeds.

I just wanted to run the game with ATI Tray Tools on and try some tweaks, but I get unplayable frames when the program is on.

Also, when the game is up again?

i search for price only. been working great for me ;D
Yep, this is usually how I do it as well. Sometimes I'll do stats and price if I want something specific but it's fun to go in with the mindset of, "how awesome of a weapon can I get for 20,000 gold or less?"

Number45

As a casual player of D3, I have to admit that it's pretty much killed all my motivation for continuing. Especially hearing it's this way until I hit 60.
I'm doing OK to be honest. I'm not overpowered, far from it, but I'm progressing - that post sounded more negative than I had intended.

Welp, that's how the game plays without the AH. Everyone says, "If you don't like it, don't use it." So I'm trying that out.
Same here. It's definitely a challenge (I'm under 3k DPS and about 12k health in Act I Hell) but it's not insurmountable as of right now.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
From today's notes:

Wait, what?

You can only have 50 items in your AH "stash". You first need to send an item from within the AH to your normal stash, then you can buy another one.

Jesus that's a long maintenance.

Average length Tuesday maintenance for Blizzard (WoW).

I take it you've never experienced a WoW patch day gone wrong.

And yes, the character limit on the OP was reached. I can't easily alter it at this point without doing a decent bit of extra compression in certain spots, and probably removing some non-essentials.

LiK

Seriously. You won't believe how ridiculous the prices were I found. There's people asking millions for this shit, which is why I went with a similar price - realistically it's not worth much. But I thought it might be a nice item for a monk (due to the hight DEX/VIT bonuses), which is why I asked.

totally agree, i've seen similar stats for stuff that range from 20k-1 million. it's nuts.

Yep, this is usually how I do it as well. Sometimes I'll do stats and price if I want something specific but it's fun to go in with the mindset of, "how awesome of a weapon can I get for 20,000 gold or less?"

*hi5* sometimes it's fun to see what awesome gear i can get at a bargain.

Cipherr

To be fair, it's an old hotfix. It was from when a group of 4 Monks could just chain Serenity > Tranquility forever and become immune 100% of the time. Why it didn't just get a short 1s delay before it could be reapplied is beyond me.

I do understand why it was needed, but they need to remove it and replace it. In fact all 1 second duration defensive skills need to die. Im sorry that is ridiculous. 1 second duration for a defensive skill is just fail all around. If its so broken that you are nerfing it to 1 second, then its time to scrap it and come up with something sensible.

LordCanti

Seriously. You won't believe how ridiculous the prices were I found. There's people asking millions for this shit, which is why I went with a similar price - realistically it's not worth much. But I thought it might be a nice item for a monk (due to the hight DEX/VIT bonuses), which is why I asked.

I know that feel. I rolled probably the highest vita/int Enchantress Amulet in existence, and gaging its worth has been a lesson in frustration. I've had people here offer 300k-ish, but it really should go for more judging by what else is out there.

Weapons are so much easier to figure out. The price scales pretty linearly.

idlewild_

It's pretty crazy how fast the AH's prices crash down. Did people discover some new farming method?

yes, people are exploiting into act 4 of inferno and farming aspects. you can be wearing full +MF gear and kill them, and they drop act 4 inferno blues/rares.

Same here. It's definitely a challenge (I'm under 3k DPS and about 12k health in Act I Hell) but it's not insurmountable as of right now.

Solidarity fist bump.

I've gotten my last three weapon upgrades from vendors. And probably most of my equipment in fact. The drops are not sustaining me at all.

Oh well. I'm in A3. I doubt I'll be able to beat it anytime soon.

chico

I'm currently trying to sell the following weapon at a price I most definitely won't get, after which I'm willing to sell it for a lot less to someone around here. Anyone interested ?

Jrkbt.jpg

One-Handed
153-306 Holy Damage
46 Strength
158 Dexterity
175 Vitality
15% IAS
61% More damage by critical hits

EU server by the way.

how much do you want? my barbarian is so underpowered that would beat my best weapon by 200dps. :(
im on EU Servers nick: chico#2217

Lanbeast

Solidarity fist bump.

I've gotten my last three weapon upgrades from vendors. And probably most of my equipment in fact. The drops are not sustaining me at all.

Oh well. I'm in A3. I doubt I'll be able to beat it anytime soon.

Only way to play, imo. About to hit Inferno Act II on my barbarian and I haven't touched the AH yet.

LordCanti

yes, people are exploiting into act 4 of inferno and farming aspects. you can be wearing full +MF gear and kill them, and they drop act 4 inferno blues/rares.

Didn't they nerf those?

Where's the closest way point to those

Doing a bit of research, it looks like the good one to farm is after
Izual
. Good news though, because apparently
Tyrael
will
kill him for you after you die, if you wait long enough

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I can't be bothered trying to figure out what each piece should sell for. They make it took cumbersome to attempt to look up similar items before listing each one. So I just throw it on at the auto starting price with no buyout and just wait to see what happens. 10 item limit and fixed 2 day auction time incredibly annoying though.

I haven't been looking up anything either. For the amount of rares you come across it just takes too much time.

That said I'll probably adopt your method for awhile. I've been starting the bidding at double the NPC price with a buyout at 10X and when shit sells I always wonder what I could have gotten.

*hi5* sometimes it's fun to see what awesome gear i can get at a bargain.
Yeah man! The only bad thing is that I've basically trained myself to be extremely cheap about everything now. It's going to be a hard transition once I hit 60 and people aren't just throwing out good stuff that's become worthless to them for next to nothing.

KKRT00

Blue Post said ..

I duno how true it is though.

It seems you have to farm farm and farm some more in inferno just to get anywhere, or just buy AH items.

You can farm all You want, but You just wont find decent gear for Act 2 and Act 3.

I've done some math today and to have viable build for act 3 for Monk, You need

700 resistance, 6000 armor, 14000 dps, >2 attacks per second, 600 hp per hit and at least 45k hp and 3 skills that decrease damage/buff You.

So to give You example how ridiculous it is, here is summary of items.
You have 14 piece of equipment, 2 weapons/shield slots, 3 jewelery slots, 9 armor slots.

To achieve 700 resistance You need around 60 average resistance per item.
To achieve life and dps, You need around 2400 dex + vit stat + 12-15% life bonus, so You need average 171 int+dex stat on every item.
For 6000 armor, You need average 600 armor per piece, or around 450 if You'll use jewelery that will add armor.
You need 45% attack speed bonus on 4 items, so 11% on each.

So, average item needs to have:

+110 dex/vit
+60 vit/dex
+35 res
+25 all res
+150 armor
+11% attack speed (gloves, rings, amulet) / 5-7% life + socket on helmet (or some on pants and belt) / + 200 life per hit (weapons, rings, amulet)

Its doable, but good luck farming that, especially on act 1 of inferno, where i havent found anything alike yet.
And this setup isnt really that amazing, You can still die easily and it gives [with two active debuff skills] 95% damage reduction and that means that normal mob in act 3 will hit You for 3600. Thats damage for a goblin!
You can take 12 hits from a goblin before You die with 95% dmg reduction. Imho thats just stupid.

Since it's being discussed, I thought I'd link this excellent post by Dreams-Visions from yesterday. I found the post so helpful I bookmarked it!

Well if you're buying, I don't want to see anything lower than 50 with armor, because even if the buffs are good, the armor on those items can be a show-stopper. armor matters. The exception to this rule (for me) is for when I'm searching for items that don't have armor stats (amulet, rings). It doesn't matter what level those are.

With buying weapons, I don't want to see any weapons below level 60 because I know the damage and stats I'm looking for won't be available below level 60. I also sort all weapons by dps. then by quality if I want to see quickly the highest dps Rare available.

When buying, always enter a maximum price. it will help keep your results reasonable. walk the maximum price down as you find it necessary.

Much of the same applies to selling. If you're selling a ring or amulet, you don't sort by level. you filter based on your item's 2 *best* stats (3 if it makes sense) and then sort the results by buyout. If an item has a high tertiary stat (say 100 vit, 123 int, 93 strength), just sort by the 2 highest stats. In this example, remember people would be looking for either the 100 vit + 123 int OR the 100 vit + 93 strength, not both. so you would want to filter the results for vit and int, then do another search with the vit + strength...and note how much you think you can get for it that way.

If you're selling something with armor, I usually sort down to level 50. After taking into consideration the good stats on an item, I then look at the armor my item has vs others. If other items have similar stats but half the armor...I have an idea of where I can price mine to get it sold. I'll then sort by buy-out to see what prices items with those filtered stats are moving at and price mine based on how fast I want it to move.

If you're selling weapons...I feel like it can get kinda complicated. You have to put yourself in the shoes of a buyer and ask, "if I were at xx level, what kind of dps would I want and what stats"? That thought process can be your first filter. If you find a level 60 2h rare doing 500 damage, you really don't even need to bother trying to sell it. Nobody will want it. Level 60 items should be compared with other level 60 items almost exclusively because people at level 60 can see all of the good shit. If the damage is borderline, I'll sort down to level 58 or so. Usually, if an item is level 59 or lower, I usually filter down 10 levels, then tighten the filtering if I'm seeing too many results outside the dps range of my item. The goal of the filtering is to try to get an idea of what similar items with similar dps and stats are (1) listed for and are (2) actually selling for. With that information, you can price your item accurately and expect a sale.

Sorry for the long post, but yea. I've sold at least 60 items on the AH now. It's all about the filtering. Well, that and the time of day. It's interesting how much the price can fluctuate, but it's all based on supply & demand. sometimes you can log in and there is an abundance of an item so they're all priced competitively. other times there are only 2 of an item.

chico

I'm currently trying to rip off some idiot sell it on the AH, but I might as well be willing to give it away for free if it doesn't sell, that might depend on my mood later after I've spent a few more hours in Act 2 Inferno.

alright... ill wait hoping you´ll be in good mood. ;)
Im in act 3 hell, so there is no way that something that good will drop!
i can wait.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I type in stats and only bought things that had more than what I already had, but I definitely have gotten to inferno off of getting 5-10-20k items every so often.

Only have gotten a few upgrades actually drop.

scy

I do understand why it was needed, but they need to remove it and replace it. In fact all 1 second duration defensive skills need to die. Im sorry that is ridiculous. 1 second duration for a defensive skill is just fail all around. If its so broken that you are nerfing it to 1 second, then its time to scrap it and come up with something sensible.

Honestly, I'd rather they have just made it a group-wide buff that eats the first CC effect (within, say, 5 seconds). That's what I used it for 99% of the time with my Wizard friend when duoing anyway.

i'm sure this has been asked before but can you guys tell me if wearing a specific armor or weapon for your class makes any difference in their attributes? example is for my demon hunter, wearing a cloak vs a chest armor? because chest armor seems a lot better stat wise, why would i wear a cloak instead? another example is a wizard hat vs a regular armor helm?

scy

i'm sure this has been asked before but can you guys tell me if wearing a specific armor or weapon for your class makes any difference in their attributes? example is for my demon hunter, wearing a cloak vs a chest armor? because chest armor seems a lot better stat wise, why would i wear a cloak instead? another example is a wizard hat vs a regular armor helm?

The Class Unique stuff can roll Class Unique affixes. Though, I actually don't think those Class unique affixes are actually unique to those unique items. I have a generic helm with -Disintegrate cost and a Shield with +2s Blizzard duration.

I'd do terrible things for WoW's AH mods for Diablo III.

Ya, the whole interface is really ripe for UI mods.

Does the "protection" stat take into account resists? It doesn't seem like it does.

It would be nice if I could rollover a piece of loot and instead of seeing all red minuses, it would be nice to know if the resists provided would actually end up being a boon to my survivability. I feel there is opaqueness there, but the green/red system gives an illusion of transparency.

Cipherr

I made this complaint back when the stash space and inventory space was revealed, and got heckled a bit. But Im going to reinterate it now, because Im feeling even more upset by it these days.

We do not have enough stash space. Buy all three tabs and its still not enough. Blizzard says the average account has like 3 characters right? I personally do myself. I have a high Vit/Resist set for my main, an extremely high Glass Cannon/DPS set, and a Magic Find set. I would love to also have a Gold Find set, and equivalent sets for my Alts, but that would be nigh impossible with the extremely limited freaking ROOM we have in this completely loot driven game.

I just dont understand how anyone could disagree. This game is all about loot, and in Hardcore runs, you cannot switch your skills to match a champ pack, but you can switch your gear set to something more fitting after a quick town portal. I want a shared stash, then a per character stash of the same size, but make it cost a lot to buy or something. A few million or so and a lot of crafting materials. But give us the space for crying out loud.

For a DH.

Shielding + Reflect + Fast + Whatever

Reflect is ridiculous for me, I notice classes like Wizards nearly shrugging it off. Monks and some Barbs too, but an elite pack with reflect absolutely wrecks me. I put on my Vit+Resist set and its still pretty rough, tho its a bit better than my dps set.

Reflect when Im in my dps set kills me so fast. All of the attack speed% increases I have, I just unload and die like Im standing in desecration or something. Either that or I dps a little then stand back and do nothing but drop traps so everyone else can kite while I wait on a health globe. I absolutely hate it.

I'm gonna be pretty bummed if they extend maintenance. Seems like when the servers aren't up close to the end of the window, that often means they are gonna push it back. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom