• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I can't check since the game is down, but what is the equivalence conversion between armor and resist all?

For example, N armor gives a K% increase to overall damage reduction.
M resist all gives a J% increase to damage reduction from specific elements (basically, everything other than physical)

Can we come up with an equivalence formula that tells you, based on your current armor and resist values, the amount of armor that is equal to 1 resist all? (assuming we have an equal probability to get hit by a random element)

10 Armor = 1 All Resistance/Physical Resistance in terms of Physical Damage.

30 Armor/3 Resistance = +1% EHP.

Now, when it comes to Magical Damage, armor does nothing.

Armor and Resistance aren't Diminishing returns like you would think, each point of Armor gives just as much Effective HP as the last. 30 Armor would give +1% EHP, 900 Armor from a Shield would give +30% EHP.

Anustart

I updated earlier, now it just shows that it's trying to update again but stuck at 0%, multiple attempts :/ Any clue how to correct?

Edit: restarted pc and working fine now, all is well

parasight

Is there any better primary that fists of thunder? What rune is the go to one for it, the dodge or the last one with chain lightning ?

I really dig crippling wave with concussion.

Crippling and Deadly Reach are both good in Inferno. I use Deadly Reach with Keen Eye.

Armor / (Armor + 50 * Enemy Level) = Resistance / (Resistance + 5 * Enemy Level)

Or, basically, 10 Armor ~= 1 Resistance, assuming they're relatively close (e.g., 5000 Armor and 500 Resistances).

Yea I kept hearing people say 10 armor = 1 resistance, but that made no sense since you can have wildly different armor and resist values. But it makes sense if they're close. Anyway, having the exact formula here should allow me to figure it out in the general case.

Ferrio

Banned
Ugh need to push my damage higher. Still at 42k, can't get higher without spending serious dough for minimal upgrades. Think my n ext purchase has to be a bow 1200+

Should 42k damage be enough to farm act 3 as DH?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I was under the impression you had a job, but haven't been to work since 3 days pre release of this game. (Also you said the game will give you cancer. If you went to job, less chance of cancer! :D)
Oh, haha! I thought my current equipment on my main would indicate that I haven't been playing this game non-stop already!

KKRT00

Nah. He really doesn't. His build is terrible and he doesn't really have any idea how to make monk work without abusing a small bug that is very tedious to get to work. He has no sustain, very little ability to keep himself alive and relies on the guardian bugging out to do all the work.

Monk can easily solo diablo on inferno btw, it's probably remotely easy even naked considering the earth ally can solo him.

His act 2 farming build is hilarious. It has no way to close ground, no way to avoid being hit, no way to keep spirit up and almost no self healing. No life on hit, and I have almost double his resistances.

I doubt this build could clear a single champion pack in act 3 without tyrael and guardian bugs.

Yep agree. Awful build and he admitted that he farm normal mobs on catapult on act 3 and try to not touch elite and kite all the time.

Yep, kiting on completely melee class is OP ...

Auction House update:

Update 11:20 a.m. PDT: We are in the process of bringing the Diablo III servers online at this time, but please note that the gold auction house will still be down for maintenance (we're in process of implementing additional performance updates).

We don't have an estimate for when the auction house will again be available, but will provide an update in this thread at approximately 1:00 p.m. PDT.

If the AH was the only thing keeping the game offline for (at least) another two hours, I'm awfully glad they reversed course.

Still can't get in on EU (UK here btw)

Keeps telling me to download the new patch w/c it already did and keeps telling me "Diablo 3 is already running".

Jinko

Ugh need to push my damage higher. Still at 42k, can't get higher without spending serious dough for minimal upgrades. Think my n ext purchase has to be a bow 1200+

Should 42k damage be enough to farm act 3 as DH?

Someone's showing off .. huh

Keeps telling me to download the new patch w/c it already did and keeps telling me "Diablo 3 is already running".

But the EU server hasn't been down, you sure you are on the EU server and not the US one ?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So you've seen the sun since D3 released?

UMBASA!
AND ON TOP OF ALL THAT CRAZYNESS, I WAS EVEN SHOPPING AT IKEA TODAY O_O

scy

Armor and Resistance aren't Diminishing returns like you would think, each point of Armor gives just as much Effective HP as the last. 30 Armor would give +1% EHP, 900 Armor from a Shield would give +30% EHP.

That's not really true. Since the formula is Armor / (50 * Enemy Level + Armor), it does slow down naturally on it's own. 4000 (55.94%) -> 5000 (61.34%) -> 6000 (65.57%) -> 7000 (68.96%) Armor do have different returns per Armor.

Now, when it comes to Magical Damage, armor does nothing.

Armor is global Damage Mitigation, it's just Resistances that are separated out.

zou

Same, think it's because I downloaded the US version way back ...

Currently installing en-eu, let's see if that helps.

Jasoneyu

sigh all this monk/melee getting rocked in inferno only passible with a high gear wall makes me depressed. Time to start that DH alt :(

Ploid 3.0

Treasure Goblin farm
Quest: Act 2 - A Royal Audiance or further
Waypoint: Road to Alcarnus

In this area there is a treasure goblin 50 % of the time. Dont go north to the new area or cross the bridge.

You have to clear a little trash around him but should be fairly easy.

50 runs, he was there 29 times.

Enjoy the hunt!

PS: There are some chests around this area aswell

Is this the Treasure Gob farm people are talking about?

Dahbomb

I heard something about Act 2 Inferno being bugged where certain monsters ignore resistances completely (like the Lacuna monsters).

Is there any truth to this?

Jinko

Same, think it's because I downloaded the US version way back ...

Currently installing en-eu, let's see if that helps.

LOL I'm having the opposite problem... /sigh

Why would they let you create a US character on an EU client if the patches conflict .. duh Blizzzard .. !

LordCanti

Anyone in NA have the Inferno checkpoint past
Izual
? My attempts to solo him have proven...unsuccessful. Mostly due to his AOE Ice attack.

Yoshichan

Is this the Treasure Gob farm people are talking about?
Translation:

The percentage is taken out of my ass (like every other "farm spots" in this game). You actually get to fight a treasure goblin once every 20 runs.

sigh all this monk/melee getting rocked in inferno only passible with a high gear wall makes me depressed. Time to start that DH alt :(

I'm the last person to defend this game, but Inferno was MEANT to be an extreme gear check. It's like Hell was in D2: Don't start hell until you have positive to high resists to everything and a lot of health. Otherwise, it's going to be tough.

I think the game does a poor job of spelling out what you need to have acquired in order to be successful. The "protection" mouse-over indicator on items needs to be more robust.

Jasoneyu

I'm the last person to defend this game, but Inferno was MEANT to be an extreme gear check. It's like Hell was in D2: Don't start hell until you have positive to high resists to everything and a lot of health. Otherwise, it's going to be tough.

I think the game does a poor job of spelling out what you need to have acquired in order to be successful. The "protection" mouse-over indicator on items needs to be more robust.

Oh I get that completely is just it sucks that there is this crazy distribution of difficulty between a melee class vs the other classes that can kite effectively and what they have to deal with.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone think mobs scale too much in multiplayer? The whole issues class imbalance in inferno would be a lot better if we could actually party together and not make it harder on each other.

Petrie

Banned
Oh I get that completely is just it sucks that there is this crazy distribution of difficulty between a melee class vs the other classes that can kite effectively and what they have to deal with.

So ranged classes can bullshit their way through, that's the case in most games isn't it?

Anyone think mobs scale too much in multiplayer? The whole issues class imbalance in inferno would be a lot better if we could actually party together and not make it harder on each other.

Class scaling in inferno is one of the design decisions that flat out does not make a lick of sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom