• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

Wizard players:

I'm doing about 50k dps, but only have about 200 all resist and 3000 armor. As such, I'm as fragile as always, though smashing fools much faster.

Q: How much dps should I sacrifice (int or attack speed) for more resist? Assume limited financial resources. I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the right balance is given I only have so much cash to work with.

For Inferno? I'm pretty comfortable around 25k for DPS.

MrDenny

So how do you see working at Blizz these days? Damn there have to be some serious panicmode over there. I do recon they are not very happy with the current situation...
I didn't mind the first two weeks, now its just freakin ridiculous.
Wasn't the patch suppose to fix the server issues..

inky

So how do you see working at Blizz these days? Damn there have to be some serious panicmode over there. I do recon they are not very happy with the current situation...

They are drinking champagne while my game is down, so I'm thinking they are not terribly bothered :p

Question. I'm currently at level 47, Monk, and still pretty confused about how the damage system works. Right now, 1 Dexterity is about 1,5 DPS for me. So when I search for weapons, I want them to have 150+ Dex, rather than 50+ DPS, since the dexterity alone would raise me about 200 DPS. Am I going about this the right way, or does GAF have the arguments and maths to set me straight?

I'll try again for new page.

Really, I'm thinking of changing focus to Vitality and Spirit Regen for the moment for survivability, but if Dex is indeed that powerful I'll keep this Dodge Defense build going.

Not in the patch notes, but any idea if this patch is going to even touch the performance issues people have been having? The game runs better for me now that I'm running beta nvidia drivers, but it's still not running as well as it should for my system.

Wizard players:

I'm doing about 50k dps, but only have about 200 all resist and 3000 armor. As such, I'm as fragile as always, though smashing fools much faster.

How much vitality do you have? Your armor seems fine (but it doesn't help vs magic). 200 all resist is low. I heard somewhere that 1 attack speed is about 10 int for wizards. So reduce any of these depending on the items you come across while gaining defense and life. As far as all resist goes, my unfounded reasoning is that 1 all resist is a little over 2 vit. I'd aim for 40k dps and 40k life with decent defensive stats.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Wizard players:

Q: How much dps should I sacrifice (int or attack speed) for more resist? Assume limited financial resources. I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the right balance is given I only have so much cash to work with.

Nice job on upping the dps. I don't have too much advice but I'm in the mid 50s dps now without familiar and at 4-500 resists and almost 5k armor with force armor. I noticed the more dps I got the less I died really, at least in Act II. My armor and resists were carried over from hell and it was only when I practically doubled my dps in Act II that I started taking down packs. If I can kill packs quickly, even if it takes a couple deaths, I do fine. No more 30 second rez timers for me since the dps upgrade. I still go down like a catholic school girl on prom night with these stats, so my advice is don't trade off too much damage for defenses until they fix inferno difficulty just being cheap spiky damage and it actually makes a noticeable difference. I do have 40k hp though if that means anything.

Force wave has helped my survivability more than mirror image ever has, I know that much.

I'll try again for new page.

Really, I'm thinking of changing focus to Vitality and Spirit Regen for the moment for survivability, but if Dex is indeed that powerful I'll keep this Dodge Defense build going.

For your purposes: on a weapon, DPS is the only thing that matters.

But if you just mouseover, it will say if it is going to be green or red once equipped, and I'm fairly certain that mouseover INCLUDES stat bonuses. But the stat bonuses are NOT included in the base weapon DPS.

What class is least gear dependent on Inferno? Plan is to "farm" Inferno and gear up other classes and/or sell stuff

I can't decide between barb or Wiz

The one day I come home from work and want to play this game...the one day...
Servers are down for no good reason again.
It's not moaning, I just think this online DRM is total bullshit and most of us just have to sit here and take it while Blizzard takes our hard earned cash, treats us like crap, and pretends that nothing is wrong and it can just keep doing this because they can...

Talon

The one day I come home from work and want to play this game...the one day...
Servers are down for no good reason again.
It's not moaning, I just think this online DRM is total bullshit and most of us just have to sit here and take it while Blizzard takes our hard earned cash, treats us like crap, and pretends that nothing is wrong and it can just keep doing this because they can...
DRM at the cost of consumer good will.

Thanks, Activision!

goober

Okay, can't kill any elites in Act 1 Inferno, where should I farm?

Was able to run passed elite mobs and kill SK though.

J-Rzez

Naw. They're trying to figure out what kind of statue to buy for the office next. What snacks to request in the machines. Where they can add a bowling alley in the office. And, working on the next Warcraft RTS for the next few years just to scrap it and build one in a year or two to release. When it releases though despite the rebuild, in 6 or 7 years when released it'll look like a game released this year.

Ketch

From the official blizz forum with the blue post explaining the extended maintenance.

All things considered, you guys are doing an awesome job! Can't be an easy thing to keep a game running when there are up to 5+ million people taxing your servers at any given time. Keep it up :) It is unfortunate, however, the magnitude of people who fail to comprehend technological limitations, making you the focal point of varying degrees of ignorant nerdrage.

linsivvi

My biggest problem is them shutting down the server for 10 hours to apply a patch, and it's not even a major patch, just minor bug fixes and changes.

Can't they use a backup server, apply the patch, have a team of people test it, and then launch it to the live service with minimal disruption of service? Or would that make too much sense or cost them too much money despite the fact that they've already made a fortune?

I get the always online thing from Blizzard's point of view, but when you do that, you better make sure you have the infrastructure to support it and a system in place that won't stop you from providing that service people paid for. It is unacceptable even at launch, but at this point they have run out of excuses.

ari

Banned
not a game designer or programmer or anything, but why not just have the authentication online and allow for offline gaming? goddammit fuck WoW for this.

Kyoufu

Anyone selling gear with All resist on them? Looking for Rings, Shoulders and Pants specifically.

Looked on the AH and nothing in my price range up right now.

MrDaravon

From the official blizz forum with the blue post explaining the extended maintenance.

Like just about any game/developer-specific forum, that place is a cesspool. I mentioned it earlier but I literally couldn't find any info I was looking for on their forums, and what I was finding was people bitching back and forth about whether or not it was accurate, and/or troll/kissass posts.

So do you feel that it is unreasonable to expect a product that you've paid for to work as advertised, or is there ever any circumstance in which one might be allowed to be disgruntled about blizzard's handling of this launch and subsequent period?

inky

We don't fail to comprehend technological limitations, mind you, we fail to care about them when we are not getting access to the fucking game we paid for. It's not like they don't have any experience with this and couldn't foresee any issues, but I'm sure it gives them a warm feeling inside to know people will put up with their shit and send them cupcakes and compliments for their efforts. Keep it up Blizz, you rock, thanks for everything, we love you, XOXOXO

And no, there are not "5 million people trying to log in" at this time.

My biggest problem is them shutting down the server for 10 hours to apply a patch, and it's not even a major patch, just minor bug fixes and changes.

Can't they use a backup server, apply the patch, have a team of people test it, and then launch it to the live service with minimal disruption of service? Or would that make too much sense or cost them too much money despite the fact that they've already made a fortune?

I get the always online thing from Blizzard's point of view, but when you do that, you better make sure you have the infrastructure to support it and a system in place that won't stop you from providing that service people paid for. It is unacceptable even at launch, but at this point they have run out of excuses.

They shut down the servers every tuesday, patch or not. It's always been this way with WoW, and I suspect it will always be this way with D3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom