• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abylim

This is fucking stupid. Couldnt play all lastnight, now I cant play before I goto work, either.

Its just stuck at updating tools. What the hell is going on?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
It's great to hear everyone will be selling on the RMAH and no one will be buying; all the competition is going to mean some really cheap awesome gear for me!

rezuth

They definitely should not disappear. Check your friends list recently played to see if anyone you either don't recognize or with a suspicious account name is on there.

Some guy named "tleTA" searched and found other people lost their shit too. Weird though, I keep a pretty close net on my OS X machine and the password for my account is unique.

Is it gone forever? Should I put in a ticket? I added the authenticator now also. Damn, had my legendary item there and stuff.

Sullen

What is the point of bringing down the servers for 8 hours if you can't even do your maintenance properly in that amount of time?

Opiate

I'll tell you what really bothers me about this: their login system apparently checks for an authenticator before it checks to see if the servers are even available. Thus, every single time I want to check to see if I'm able to log in yet, I have to enter an authenticator ID.

This is the true travesty.

Raxus

Some guy named "tleTA" searched and found other people lost their shit too. Weird though, I keep a pretty close net on my OS X machine and the password for my account is unique.

Do you have the authenticator? If not then you are at greater risk for being hacked no matter what precautions you took. Trust me, I know this scenario all too well :(

Zzoram

Is it gone forever? Should I put in a ticket? I added the authenticator now also. Damn, had my legendary item there and stuff.

That could be a guy you played a pub with, if you ever play pubs.

Check his profile to see if his characters look like they are played or if they're a bunch of lvl 1 mules.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Hehe, the official forums are an endless source of entertainment. Doubly so when they've taken servers offline for emergency maint/patching.

Zzoram

I'll tell you what really bothers me about this: their login system apparently checks for an authenticator before it checks to see if the servers are even available. Thus, every single time I want to check to see if I'm able to log in yet, I have to enter an authenticator ID.

I thought it only asks once a week or if you log in from a different IP from last time?

linsivvi

With 6.5 million users, it's probably more like restarting 7,000 servers.

They don't need to restart all servers at once. If they can't figure out a way to do it then they shouldn't go with always online. Just because I accepted such a requirement doesn't mean I have to accept the constant disruption of service as well, and nowhere before I bought the game did they mention there will be 8 hours of non-service every week (though it's mostly speculation at this point).

Restarting (literally nothing else) can easily take upwards of an hour.

Source: Someone who has worked on the server of an online game.

Maybe, maybe not. Let's say 1 hour is acceptable, but definitely not 8. Diablo servers also don't need keep a persistent world.

MrDaravon

Yeah I was going to mention that as well. It actually almost strikes me as weird that the authenticator even is up and working when none of the servers are.

I thought it only asks once a week or if you log in from a different IP from last time?

You can set it to ask you for the authenticator every time you sign on.

Zzoram

8 (or 10+) hours of downtime a week is pretty shitty and better not continue for long.

I wouldn't mind a few 2 hr maintenance shut downs at like 4am or something, but 8+ hours will cut into many people's game time.

Opiate

There are different options, I check every time I log in. Not only am I an important member at a very popular, well respected website, I'm also a moderator at NeoGAF.

Ristlager

I honestly think the rage is justified in this instance. There is something very wrong, when you actually think: I hope that I can play the game to day.

But I am now in act 3 NM and I have to say that Titan Quest with the expansions is a better game. Not to derail the thread, but anyone feeling the same?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So guys, take pictures of your characters!

Oh wait

;) ♥

I saw one guy on there that was mad he couldn't get a refund after putting in like 70 hours.

They gave me a refund with no hassle. Of course I had only played for about 30 minutes. The game didn't play nice with my GTX 460, I know it's not a top of the line card but that seemed crazy to me. That coupled with the connection issues I was having was enough for me to ask. Really surprising how they gave me zero hassle.

I'll probably try again down the road when I figure out what was Mucking things up.

You should be happy that tleTA was able to log in, even if it was just to steal your shit. At least someone gets to enjoy their hard earned money.

There are 6.5 million people that bought this game--most of them don't know what an authenticator is, so Blizzard needs to step up their game.

J-Rzez

8 (or 10+) hours of downtime a week is pretty shitty and better not continue for long.

I wouldn't mind a few 2 hr maintenance shut downs at like 4am or something, but 8+ hours will cut into many people's game time.

This is turning out to be like how WoW used to be, with servers coming down every Tues for 8, 12, 16hrs. The interesting thing is that when Battle.net goes down, basically all of their games go with it lol.

Jinko

any of you guys gonna try out the RMAH when it's up? lol

If I had any concept of how much things where worth perhaps, but I have no idea .. :(

There are 6.5 million people that bought this game--most of them don't know what an authenticator is, so Blizzard needs to step up their game.

It's about time MMO companies start giving them out with physical copies of the game, won't help with digital versions of course.

They gave me a refund with no hassle. Of course I had only played for about 30 minutes. The game didn't play nice with my GTX 460, I know it's not a top of the line card but that seemed crazy to me. That coupled with the connection issues I was having was enough for me to ask. Really surprising how they gave me zero hassle.

I'll probably try again down the road when I figure out what was Mucking things up.

That shouldn't be surprising at all: The product didn't work as advertised.

Bog

Junior Ace
They already missed the boat by not having the RMAH live at launch. That's when people are likely to buy random dumb shit. By now, anyone who wants to break their game has already likely abused the gold AH.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'll give Force Wave a look. Definitely one of my unused skills. I think I've implemented it for all of 20 minutes of my many hours of D3.

Its probably the best offensive, defenseive skill. I used it all the way up to I got to inferno. If there was room for a 5th spell, I'd be using it, but I needed Magic Weapon, Force Armor, and Diamond skin. When I get more DPS and damage. I'll probably switch it out for Diamond Skin.

1. It does a lot of damage. I think it was like getting 5-6 full ticks off of disintegration ray, when it critical in one second to every enemy. Good distance too.
2. The runes are useful, I went with the stun since it would give me an extra second to two to gain distance outside knocking them back. Works on invul minions also.
3. My favorite act to use it on was Act 2 actually. It also bounces back all range attacks and does the exact damage back at what they would do to you. Got a lot of wasps to kill themselves, or to kill other enemies with their attack.
4. There may be an invic frame in it also. I can't be quite certain yet, since it could have just be a fluke. But I used on a beilal's poision breath a few times and took no damage with no dodge note popping up.

Zzoram

I honestly think the rage is justified in this instance. There is something very wrong, when you actually think: I hope that I can play the game to day.

But I am now in act 3 NM and I have to say that Titan Quest with the expansions is a better game. Not to derail the thread, but anyone feeling the same?

lol no

I hated so many things about Titan Quest's UI, every time I play it I end up just reinstalling Diablo 2 after a few hours of frustration. The tiny life bar far in the top left corner was just outside my peripheral vision so I'd actually have to look away from the action to tell if I was about to die or not, but looking away would cause me to die.

Man, we're playing a single player game that restricts our access to it once a week due to maintenance. This is a million times worse than any shitty Ubisoft drm, but Blizzard keeps getting a free pass because their games are competent at worst. I still enjoy playing the game and talking about it with friends but the taste that keeps staying in my mouth is one of regret over my purchase, as well as confirming what I've been fearing for a long time - Blizzard games, for me, are quickly going downhill.

I had way more fun with Path of Exile, but I don't feel like investing way too much into a pretty limited beta, and I really can't handle playing two of these games at the same time. Of course, that game is always online, but it also costs zero bucks. I'm just really torn about D3 right now. Leap striking into 50 enemies and obliterating them feels ridiculously good, but aside from those rare moments the game just feels limited, uncustomizable and at times straight up broken, mostly due to the really shitty itemization.

I was on ground zero of WoW's launch and I don't remember it being this bad. Just a bunch of server resets and late night outages IIRC. EDIT: Oh, and lag. Some things never change.

Blizzard was definitely around during WoW's launch as well, and they still can't get a smooth launch, which leads me to believe they just wrap their servers with virtual duct tape and stop fucking around with it when it seems to hold together. We're in the duct tape phase right now.

Maybe, maybe not. Let's say 1 hour is acceptable, but definitely not 8. Diablo servers also don't need keep a persistent world.

As I said, the 1 hour was just for the restart, and did not include any kind of maintenance at all.

Their server might be different. It might require more or less time to restart, I have no idea. But the point is just that an hour is not out of the realm of possibility, not even almost.

The stuff that happens between shutting down the server and bringing it back up can also take a long time.

rezuth

That could be a guy you played a pub with, if you ever play pubs.

Check his profile to see if his characters look like they are played or if they're a bunch of lvl 1 mules.

Never played public with anyone but a single friend. The account only has one hero and that is a lvl 2 wizard without anything on.

At least I still got my gems, some stuff from the auctions and my awesome gear. Good thing he never checked the auctions either, I have looads of gold that I have yet to get into my stash :)

Cipherr

any of you guys gonna try out the RMAH when it's up? lol

Selling. Ill probably play D3 through 2 or more expansions. Would be awesome to make back what I paid for the game. But I am sure that everyone is thinking that. Ill probably toss a couple of fantastic items up there, that wont sell because everyone is trying to sell something, then Ill lose interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom