• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenryHSH

This dude is inviting random viewers to his game doing inferno cloud runs with them and buying them gear off the AH... lol
http://www.twitch.tv/stayawhileandlisten

It is extremely long and differing, it is unique to my Battle.net account. If something odd was connecting some place I would have gotten notice of it.

You'd probably be surprised at how good brute force crackers are. Combined with the fact that Battle.net passwords are case-insensitive , even strong passwords fall victim to brute force very easily.

Anyway, basically what you're saying is "there's no possible way". Well, there is a way, because it happened. The session id thing was debunked, and anyway you said you never played public games, so even if it were true, that option isn't even an option. So Occam's Razor suggests your password was compromised.

If people would stop saying "Eh, I'm safe I don't need an authenticator" and just get a fucking authenticator then everyone would stop getting hacked. Yes, Blizzard needs to do a better job of promoting it, but at the same time most of the people who are getting hacked known about the existence of the authenticator, and still don't get it.

Unless your password is abnormally long they can just brute force it or at least that's what I assume. Modern computing and GPU power has made brute forcing passwords incredibly fast
Unless the hackers have a copy of the hash of your password, brute-forcing won't help. For the love of god, I hope Blizzard has some rate-limit on the number of wrong authentication attempts in a given period.

While I do have an authenticator and I haven't been hacked, I find it laughable that it seems required by the community.

My bank doesn't require one, why should a game require one?

KAP151

2 log in attempts in the space of 12 hours - and both times servers are down.

Patience is gettin mighty thin here Blizzard....

Ploid 3.0

I have a feeling that Blizzard is really pissing off a lot of regular customers that bought this game, not just "internet nerds". Their reputation is going down the crapper every time their server is down.

This is my first time buying a blizzard game (got the SC2 demo, and then downloaded the starter edition while waiting on D3 but didn't buy it). Being a spectator of SC2 youtube commentated videos I got a feeling that Blizzard games were high end in the quality department, making the $60 price well worth it (free update patches, free map packs, great support, etc. Waiting on Heart of the Swarm for the new classes to show up in SC2 matches to watch what players do with them). D3 seem like a mess for me, feeling like I should have just continued watching SC2 casts or learned how to play it.

Total Biscuit, who i rarely agree with, went on a rant in one of his videos how blizzard gets a free pass from the press, and an army of sheeple who will give up their lives for them at the drop of a hat. Those people, found on their forums who never get banned when they attack people with legitimate complaints are a big part of the reason why their games quality dropped from the end of TBC xpac onward, and just a wild coincidence when they started their mergers with activision.

Plenty of those people everywhere related to gaming, including here on GAF. I mean, Blizzard earned their name the hard way by making some insanely good games back in the day, but I honestly feel that they seem to be suffering from huge amounts of mismanagement (all this money and all that time, yet we still get cartoon villain dialogue?) or they are hiring the wrong people to lead their games development. I'm still bitter about how StarCraft 2 turned out, especially in regards to patches, but I digress.

US Servers still down as of a moment ago.

This is my first time buying a blizzard game (got the SC2 demo, and then downloaded the starter edition while waiting on D3 but didn't buy it). Being a spectator of SC2 youtube commentated videos I got a feeling that Blizzard games were high end in the quality department, making the $60 price well worth it (free update patches, free map packs, great support, etc. Waiting on Heart of the Swarm for the new classes to show up in SC2 matches to watch what players do with them). D3 seem like a mess for me, feeling like I should have just continued watching SC2 casts or learned how to play it.

WarCraft III, StarCraft, and Diablo II are masterpieces.

Blizzard dropped the ball a few years back and seems to still be trying to figure out where it went.

Blizzard. Roll out D3 patch to improve services and AH.
Patch.
AH down.
Servers die soon after.

Two weeks! Two! I can't possibly fathom how they could have been so utterly unprepared for this game. It's impossible to have been unaware of the anticipation for it.

Please. Don't.

So does anybody know whether the server downtime is a standard weekly thing? Or is it just continued launch blues?

They haven't said whether the Tuesday maintenance will be every week for D3, but it was the standard for WoW for many years (maybe still is, haven't played WoW in a long time).

Aside from that, I think it's anyone's guess. I hope it becomes less regular than once a week, but I expect the worst.

K701

Banned
Welp, just came back from doing a shitload of errands and just left the beef stew simmering for later today. Time now to relax with some Diablo 3 that I paid my hard earned money for!

:D

:)

:|

:(

:'(

Your avatar promising that someone will be touched is just too good.

blzzerd pls

tumblr_m1ocd3kuOP1qb572io1_500.png

LukeSmith

All of the "single player game" tears are so bitter.

It's a massively multiplayer online game, with a single (per region, per game mode [hardcore/regular]) economy that will (eventually) have some real world value associated with it.

The always online connection rule exists to theoretically preserve the value (both in dollars/euros and gold pieces) of their investment game.

An interesting, if not, strictly better, implementation would've been an Offline mode that exists at the same UI level as Hardcore and Regular, where Offline characters don't synchronize data with the servers and can't access auction houses or the stash of an Online account.

I am betting this wasn't included because of authoritative state management for certain elements of the experience (i.e. A Character's position in the world: the Client sees his character in position A and the server says you are in position B -and the server is authoritative, so the position is updated server side, and the client may not even catch up with it before the death screen begins to play [this is probably why Yoshi died in that suite of pictures in the last thread where he said he was quitting and was done posting here]).

tl;dr version: quit crying

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You actually have to play on NA ...or wait for Heart of the Swarm when we can finally switch servers from within the game.
T_T Suddenly I feel like staying in D3GAF for abit longer

vaelic

Banned
How does blizzard not get sued for a service being down when ppl pay money for a product that CAN be played single player if they wanted?

neoism

I'll tell you what really bothers me about this: their login system apparently checks for an authenticator before it checks to see if the servers are even available. Thus, every single time I want to check to see if I'm able to log in yet, I have to enter an authenticator ID.

This is the true travesty.

thankfully I chose to not have an A Id every time not sure you did. Otherwise, it just asks for it every week. Did they just patch it of is this retrieving hero list a new separate issue

rezuth

You'd probably be surprised at how good brute force crackers are. Combined with the fact that Battle.net passwords are case-insensitive , even strong passwords fall victim to brute force very easily.

Anyway, basically what you're saying is "there's no possible way". Well, there is a way, because it happened. The session id thing was debunked, and anyway you said you never played public games, so even if it were true, that option isn't even an option. So Occam's Razor suggests your password was compromised.

If people would stop saying "Eh, I'm safe I don't need an authenticator" and just get a fucking authenticator then everyone would stop getting hacked. Yes, Blizzard needs to do a better job of promoting it, but at the same time most of the people who are getting hacked known about the existence of the authenticator, and still don't get it.

I'm saying that there is virtually no way that it could have been a keylogger. I also highly doubt they would have been able to bruteforce my password, one would think Blizzard wouldn't allow it.

pigeon

Banned
I don't think you can put all the blame on Blizzard -- people should get authenticators -- but there's no reason their password field should be case-insensitive OR limited to 16 characters -- especially since, as a friend of mine pointed out to me, if they're storing hashes as they should be doing there's zero reason to limit password length. I doubt their login server gets hit harder than Google's, and they can manage both these things, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Jira

How does blizzard not get sued for a service vein down when ppl pay money for a product that CAN be played single player if they wanted?

You agreed to the EULA upon logging in which you agreed that you will not sue Blizzard and that they have the right to take down the servers at any time. It's fairly simple.

Jinko

How does blizzard not get sued for a service being down when ppl pay money for a product that CAN be played single player if they wanted?

It can't be played that way though, I'm sure it says somewhere Internet connection required, which is all they need.

It's a massively multiplayer online game, with a single (per region, per game mode [hardcore/regular]) economy that will (eventually) have some real world value associated with it.

The always online connection rule exists to theoretically preserve the value (both in dollars/euros and gold pieces) of their investment game.

An interesting, if not, strictly better, implementation would've been an Offline mode that exists at the same UI level as Hardcore and Regular, where Offline characters don't synchronize data with the servers and can't access auction houses or the stash of an Online account.

I am betting this wasn't included because of authoritative state management for certain elements of the experience (i.e. A Character's position in the world: the Client sees his character in position A and the server says you are in position B -and the server is authoritative, so the position is updated server side, and the client may not even catch up with it before the death screen begins to play [this is probably why Yoshi died in that suite of pictures in the last thread where he said he was quitting and was done posting here]).

It makes me sad that there are people willing to defend this bullshit so vehemently.

Because they told you what the product was before you bought it and you still chose to buy it?

Not saying I like it, but jesus, everyone bitches about the always online stuff, but no one decided not to buy the game because of it...

Unless the hackers have a copy of the hash of your password, brute-forcing won't help. For the love of god, I hope Blizzard has some rate-limit on the number of wrong authentication attempts in a given period.

While I do have an authenticator and I haven't been hacked, I find it laughable that it seems required by the community.

My bank doesn't require one, why should a game require one?

Well, the passwords aren't even case sensitive...sooo...

Two weeks! Two! I can't possibly fathom how they could have been so utterly unprepared for this game. It's impossible to have been unaware of the anticipation for it.
I don't really blame them though like most of you are.
This is the biggest gaming company for online titles out there and they got millions logging at the same time.

Prepared or not, it must be hell trying to make it stable and working efficiently.

Because they told you what the product was before you bought it and you still chose to buy it?

Not saying I like it, but jesus, everyone bitches about the always online stuff, but no one decided not to buy the game because of it...

They told us the servers would be down constantly?

I don't think you read his post.

sega4ever

its a 4 player game.

Haha

(reasons for always online)
Yes. That's fine. Diablo 3 is still a single player game, as well as a multiplayer game.

Always online doesn't mean multiplayer only. But we've been over this a million times already.

Regardless of their design, the game should just work, and it doesn't. Would be nice to know if there's a light at the end of the tunnel for all these server woes.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Crying about not being able to use something you paid for? You're all a bunch of babies. What's next? You think they should fix problems that the game has?

I think it's more a feeling of "always online" generally means you can still play whenever you want, you just have to verify your legal copy through their services.

Not sure everyone expected weekly downtime and this kind of bad connectivity.

I feel like I signed up for the DRM and not DRM+stipulations.

I'm unhappy but not one of these sue people ... people.

They told us the servers would be down constantly?

I don't think you read his post.

No, I read it. This shit happens with a game set up this way. Sometimes it happens a lot, sometimes not so much. It always sucks, but they haven't been down for such a large percentage of the time the game has been released that its downright offensive.

Kyoufu

This is not an MMO.

Volodja

Regardless of the singleplayer/multiplayer discussion, Diablo 3 is not an MMO.

No, I read it. This shit happens with a game set up this way. Sometimes it happens a lot, sometimes not so much. It always sucks, but they haven't been down for such a large percentage of the time the game has been released that its downright offensive.

If "you should expect shit" is the argument you're going with, it shouldn't be surprising that your posts are laughed at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom