• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, we're playing a single player game that restricts our access to it once a week due to maintenance. This is a million times worse than any shitty Ubisoft drm, but Blizzard keeps getting a free pass because their games are competent at worst. I still enjoy playing the game and talking about it with friends but the taste that keeps staying in my mouth is one of regret over my purchase, as well as confirming what I've been fearing for a long time - Blizzard games, for me, are quickly going downhill.

I had way more fun with Path of Exile, but I don't feel like investing way too much into a pretty limited beta, and I really can't handle playing two of these games at the same time. Of course, that game is always online, but it also costs zero bucks. I'm just really torn about D3 right now. Leap striking into 50 enemies and obliterating them feels ridiculously good, but aside from those rare moments the game just feels limited, uncustomizable and at times straight up broken, mostly due to the really shitty itemization.

Are you new to the series? Diablo is not a single player game.

Jinko

I was on ground zero of WoW's launch and I don't remember it being this bad. Just a bunch of server resets and late night outages IIRC. EDIT: Oh, and lag. Some things never change.

Blizzard was definitely around during WoW's launch as well, and they still can't get a smooth launch, which leads me to believe they just wrap their servers with virtual duct tape and stop fucking around with it when it seems to hold together. We're in the duct tape phase right now.

WoW didn't start out with 6.5 million players though did it ?

From what I remember though WoW launch suffered massive issues.

I had way more fun with Path of Exile

Isn't PoE always online also ?, of course it will never have these issues because the game won't be this popular.

Never played public with anyone but a single friend. The account only has one hero and that is a lvl 2 wizard without anything on.

At least I still got my gems, some stuff from the auctions and my awesome gear. Good thing he never checked the auctions either, I have looads of gold that I have yet to get into my stash :)

Let me guess: No authenticator attached to the account. Am I right?

snack

There is a $250 limit on items I believe.

rage.png

linsivvi

As I said, the 1 hour was just for the restart, and did not include any kind of maintenance at all.

Their server might be different. It might require more or less time to restart, I have no idea. But the point is just that an hour is not out of the realm of possibility, not even almost.

The stuff that happens between shutting down the server and bringing it back up can also take a long time.

And like I said, if they are forcing this kind of things on the players, then they need to come up with a plan to maintain constant service. It's not like we are talking about a small operation here. They have the money to have the best server tech available, and if you are telling me with the hundreds of millions of dollars the only way Blizzard can maintain the servers is to shut all of them down for half a day, then they are just taking the easiest route.

joesmokey

I was on ground zero of WoW's launch and I don't remember it being this bad. Just a bunch of server resets and late night outages IIRC. EDIT: Oh, and lag. Some things never change.
Vanilla WoW was definitely worse than this. Queues were extremely long for months, completely random server crashes, rollbacks, etc. On Archimonde our only hope was when they finally let us transfer off the server.

Abylim

Lesson learned, dont buy Blizzard shit day one, month one or even month 6 apparently.

If I wanted to deal with maintenance and hacking I'd play WoW.

SyNapSe

Honestly, why would it ever go above $250 per item. You can only use the money to purchase other Blizzard software, correct? I could be wrong on that but I thought it was the idea.

$250 seems pretty high. I guess you could sign up for a lifetime of WoW subscriptions if you sell a few of those..

And like I said, if they are forcing this kind of things on the players, then they need to come up with a plan to maintain constant service. It's not like we are talking about a small operation here. They have the money to have the best server tech available, and if you are telling me with the hundreds of millions of dollars the only way Blizzard can maintain the servers is to shut all of them down for half a day, then they are just taking the easy route.

I agree they need to get their shit together. However, I don't have a problem with the once a week server maintenances, but it needs to be just that: Once a week, and very rarely going outside of the scheduled maitnenance times.

I'm letting them off the hook for this (for now) because the game is still new. If the problems are still around in a month, it might be a different story. Even then, I'll probably still expect and be ok with the once a week downtimes but I'll be less inclined to accept the failed patches, auction house errors and latency issues, and overall server stability issues.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I have a feeling that Blizzard is really pissing off a lot of regular customers that bought this game, not just "internet nerds". Their reputation is going down the crapper every time their server is down.

rezuth

True but I don't see any way they could have gotten my password either way. I have done some research now online and it has happened to a lot of people. Even people who have the authenticator, seems they can do some kind of takeover of your sessions.

goober

Armor mitigates all damage, resist is just better for magic.

This is bizarre, I can kill Elites no prob but can't kill SK :S

I'm barbarian, if that matters.

So, to reiterate. I downed SK, but can't kill the elite mobs. Any tips for farming gear?

Should I go back to Act IV Hell and farm?

Are you new to the series? Diablo is not a single player game.
Diablo 1 was. Diablo 2 was.
Ladder was a feature, not the game's reason to exist.

From what I remember though WoW launch suffered massive issues.
If this was 2004, that statement would hold a lot more water.
If an authenticator is required to play this game, then Blizzard has a responsibility to provide it free to all users in the box and to HEAVILY advertise it's existence.

Vanilla WoW was definitely worse than this. Queues were extremely long for months, completely random server crashes, rollbacks, etc. On Archimonde our only hope was when they finally let us transfer off the server.
I was on Mannoroth day 1, hour 1 and had no server problems the first week.
Only had the bug where you couldn't pick up items a few times.

SyNapSe

True but I don't see any way they could have gotten my password either way. I have done some research now online and it has happened to a lot of people. Even people who have the authenticator, seems they can do some kind of takeover of your sessions.

Unless your password is abnormally long they can just brute force it or at least that's what I assume. Modern computing and GPU power has made brute forcing passwords incredibly fast

I love how the update says "We are currently investigating the cause" like its some puzzling mystery or something. Time to query the tier 3 diablo server gnomes to see if they've caught the problem yet.

I have a feeling that Blizzard is really pissing off a lot of regular customers that bought this game, not just "internet nerds". Their reputation is going down the crapper every time their server is down.

I convinced 3 casual gamer friends to buy this, and they're baffled by the fact that they can't play the game. No experience with wow or anything else by them, they're used to xboxes. When explaining what's happening to an everyday consumer, it sounds even more baffling and crazy to hear yourself try to explain why they can't play.

Probably not, but this is Diablo III, and they've known for years how big it was going to be and what kind of infrastructure they would need, drawing from their experience from the WoW launch. I ain't even mad though.

That was a myth that was dispelled, and so far there has not been a single trustworthy and confirmed report of a person with an authenticator getting hacked.

They could have gotten your password in a million different ways. Guessing (if it's an easy password) or brute force, hacking another website's password database and you used the same password twice, a keylogger on your machine, etc etc.

Diablo 1 was. Diablo 2 was.
Ladder was a feature, not the game's reason to exist.

If this was 2004, that statement would hold a lot more water.

If an authenticator is required to play this game, then Blizzard has a responsibility to provide it free to all users in the box and to HEAVILY advertise it's existence.

It is free to all users. If you have a smartphone, download the authenticator app. There's an iOS, Android, and Windows Phone version. If not, there is an app for Windows called WinAuth that works as well.

I do agree with you that they should promote it more. The first time you log in without one it should tell you that it's strongly recommended and let you set it up frmo within the game client.

rezuth

That was a myth that was dispelled, and so far there has not been a single trustworthy and confirmed report of a person with an authenticator getting hacked.

They could have gotten your password in a million different ways. Guessing (if it's an easy password) or brute force, hacking another website's password database and you used the same password twice, a keylogger on your machine, etc etc.

Unless your password is abnormally long they can just brute force it or at least that's what I assume. Modern computing and GPU power has made brute forcing passwords incredibly fast

It is extremely long and differing, it is unique to my Battle.net account. If something odd was connecting some place I would have gotten notice of it.

linsivvi

I agree they need to get their shit together. However, I don't have a problem with the once a week server maintenances, but it needs to be just that: Once a week, and very rarely going outside of the scheduled maitnenance times.

I'm letting them off the hook for this (for now) because the game is still new. If the problems are still around in a month, it might be a different story. Even then, I'll probably still expect and be ok with the once a week downtimes but I'll be less inclined to accept the failed patches, auction house errors and latency issues, and overall server stability issues.

Once a week but no more than 1 hour would be my limit here. I don't expect online service provider to have regular disruption of service. It doesn't matter if it's a game or not.

That's also why I suggested in my initial post they should've tested the patch in a closed environment on backup servers before launching it live. Apparently they didn't, or haven't done a throughout test.

snack

Honestly, why would it ever go above $250 per item. You can only use the money to purchase other Blizzard software, correct? I could be wrong on that but I thought it was the idea.

$250 seems pretty high. I guess you could sign up for a lifetime of WoW subscriptions if you sell a few of those..

PayPal is Blizzard's payment-service partner for the AH. They take a 15% cut though.

Rufus

They can't knock on Mr. Login Server's door a million times to guess it, though.

Anustart

I'm out of the loop here, it says you may not be able to log in, so is it just hard to get logged in, or are the servers down completely?

stuminus3

So kind of Blizzard to offer me the opportunity to play my other games instead of Diablo on an evening I have precious extra free time.

magicstop

I've been playing the Diablo series since the original release, so I have a lot of opinions on the streamlining of the game, the tact they've chosen with the AH and RMAH, the always-online DRM, the absence of PVP, the fact that this is a game where 'single player' is a dirty word, the complete back-step with waypoints, and a lot of other issues. Today, I'm just laughing at the fact that it's been three weeks and they still can't get their act together with having all of the game components available all the time.

They've rolled out a lot of products and patches over the years since D2 launched; you'd expect this to be handled better.

y0iK3.gif

J-Rzez

Man, we're playing a single player game that restricts our access to it once a week due to maintenance. This is a million times worse than any shitty Ubisoft drm, but Blizzard keeps getting a free pass because their games are competent at worst. I still enjoy playing the game and talking about it with friends but the taste that keeps staying in my mouth is one of regret over my purchase, as well as confirming what I've been fearing for a long time - Blizzard games, for me, are quickly going downhill..

Total Biscuit, who i rarely agree with, went on a rant in one of his videos how blizzard gets a free pass from the press, and an army of sheeple who will give up their lives for them at the drop of a hat. Those people, found on their forums who never get banned when they attack people with legitimate complaints are a big part of the reason why their games quality dropped from the end of TBC xpac onward, and just a wild coincidence when they started their mergers with activision.

Jinko

Probably not, but this is Diablo III, and they've known for years how big it was going to be and what kind of infrastructure they would need, drawing from their experience from the WoW launch. I ain't even mad though.

This is true, these companies seem to always underestimate for some odd reason, its not like Blizz need to be stingy on the servers either lol.

I guess in a few months times those who are still playing won't remember this though.

Macattk15

"We're doing rolling shifts the beginning of this week for 24 hour coverage. Since QA is mostly just support, we're going to just be dicking around waiting for shit to blow up. Servers can't handle shit though, not surprisingly."

A friend at Blizzard said this to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom