• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the "single player game" tears are so bitter.

It's a massively multiplayer online game, with a single (per region, per game mode [hardcore/regular]) economy that will (eventually) have some real world value associated with it.

The always online connection rule exists to theoretically preserve the value (both in dollars/euros and gold pieces) of their investment game.

An interesting, if not, strictly better, implementation would've been an Offline mode that exists at the same UI level as Hardcore and Regular, where Offline characters don't synchronize data with the servers and can't access auction houses or the stash of an Online account.

I am betting this wasn't included because of authoritative state management for certain elements of the experience (i.e. A Character's position in the world: the Client sees his character in position A and the server says you are in position B -and the server is authoritative, so the position is updated server side, and the client may not even catch up with it before the death screen begins to play [this is probably why Yoshi died in that suite of pictures in the last thread where he said he was quitting and was done posting here]).

tl;dr version: quit crying

Oh shit wait. Luke Smith from Bungie?

Don't you guys have a deal with Activision to produce an MMO?

Activision, the parent company of Blizzard.

I hope Diablo III's current state doesn't represent your aspirations for "Destiny" because you sure as shit won't be getting my money for it.

pigeon

Banned
I don't really blame them though like most of you are.
This is the biggest gaming company for online titles out there and they got millions logging at the same time.

Prepared or not, it must be hell trying to make it stable and working efficiently.

Sure, but Blizzard's being hoist by its own petard here -- you're always competing with WoW now, not WoW at launch, and WoW now has more players than Diablo III and doesn't have nearly this many problems during expansion launches. Do the server engineers for the two games not talk to each other? They do this every eighteen months.

Crying about not being able to use something you paid for? You're all a bunch of babies. What's next? You think they should fix problems that the game has?

It's entitled gamers like these that are sending the triple a games industry into a death spiral. Used games. Piracy.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No, I read it. This shit happens with a game set up this way. Sometimes it happens a lot, sometimes not so much. It always sucks, but they haven't been down for such a large percentage of the time the game has been released that its downright offensive.

The Auction House is part of the game. When it's down, I consider the functionality of the game to be neutered. Taking it into account, it's pretty bad.

It's a massively multiplayer online game, with a single (per region, per game mode [hardcore/regular]) economy that will (eventually) have some real world value associated with it.

The always online connection rule exists to theoretically preserve the value (both in dollars/euros and gold pieces) of their investment game.

An interesting, if not, strictly better, implementation would've been an Offline mode that exists at the same UI level as Hardcore and Regular, where Offline characters don't synchronize data with the servers and can't access auction houses or the stash of an Online account.

I am betting this wasn't included because of authoritative state management for certain elements of the experience (i.e. A Character's position in the world: the Client sees his character in position A and the server says you are in position B -and the server is authoritative, so the position is updated server side, and the client may not even catch up with it before the death screen begins to play [this is probably why Yoshi died in that suite of pictures in the last thread where he said he was quitting and was done posting here]).

You're advocating exactly how D2 functioned. And it was nice in D2 when the servers were down to go and play single player. In turn, that is why people are complaining, so stop being sanctimonious.

Godslay

Banned

y0iK3.gif

SyNapSe

Unless the hackers have a copy of the hash of your password, brute-forcing won't help. For the love of god, I hope Blizzard has some rate-limit on the number of wrong authentication attempts in a given period.

My bank doesn't require one, why should a game require one?

I doubt they have any kind of limit. They probably slow down logon attempts as the bad attempts per unit of time increase but it's not like these people would be going after one account.

Jinko

You're advocating exactly how D2 functioned. And it was nice in D2 when the servers were down to go and play single player. In turn, that is why people are complaining, so stop being sanctimonious.

You can still play on the EU servers ...

Well you could if you had both version of the client installed lol, sadly the US client won't work on the EU servers at the moment.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

This is all I want from Diablo.

Cipherr

Regardless of the singleplayer/multiplayer discussion, Diablo 3 is not an MMO.

Regardless of whether or not its an MMO, its always online and server dependent, and as such will have all of the drawbacks that come with such a setup, just like MMO's do.

Oh shit wait. Luke Smith from Bungie?

Don't you guys have a deal with Activision to produce an MMO?

Activision, the parent company of Blizzard.

I hope Diablo III's current state doesn't represent your aspirations for "Destiny" because you sure as shit won't be getting my money for it.

Oh jesus fucking christ. You guys are really something else you know that?

MrDaravon

I understand what Luke is getting at and agree to a point, but regardless of that I don't think as someone who is working on an online game for Activision should comment at all one way or the other. I guarantee that post is going to be quoted the first time their game goes down or has any issues.

Regardless of whether or not its an MMO, its always online and server dependent, and as such will have all of the drawbacks that come with such a setup, just like MMO's do.

Oh jesus fucking christ. You guys are really something else you know that?

Not on Activision's payroll and able to speak my god damned mind as a paying fucking customer?

I sure am.

He called a 4-player game an MMO for fuck's sake.

If "you should expect shit" is the argument you're going with, it shouldn't be surprising that your posts are laughed at.

You are making a statement as if there was previously a back and forth about my posts being "laughed at". I posted twice and you are the only one up in arms over my comments. You are also greatly exaggerating my statements to make your own argument that I'm not actually having with you. I'm flat out saying it is crappy, but there hasn't been such a staggering amount of downtime that it's downright illegal. I literally know people with 90+ hours of playtime, which is insane. Most of these streamers and such have more I'm sure.

This is all I want from Diablo.

It'll never happen though, because their primary source of revenue after launch will come from RMAH transactions, and forcing you online will increase the volume of RMAH transactions.

More than anything, I long for the day when we can stop having this fucking discussion, because the decision is made, and nothing is going to change it.

rCIZZLE

I don't see how Diablo can't be considered a single player game with an option for multi player. No shared drops and little team synergy... doesn't really feel like the game is much different than playing through alone. Offline SP should have been an option.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
It'll never happen though, because their primary source of revenue after launch will come from RMAH transactions, and forcing you online will increase the volume of RMAH transactions.

More than anything, I long for the day when we can stop having this fucking discussion, because the decision is made, and nothing is going to change it.

and I'd really appreciate being able to play the game offline so I don't have to deal with server lag and server maintenance.

Jinko

Not on Activision's payroll and able to speak my god damned mind as a paying fucking customer?

I sure am.

He called a 4-player game an MMO for fuck's sake.

If you wana be technical its an MOG, I guess its similar to Phantasy Star Online, Last I checked the same limitations apply.

Blizzard re-ignites the discussion each time the game doesn't work.

KAP151

How is it a MMO in ANY stretch of the word?

Jira

I don't see how Diablo can't be considered a single player game with an option for multi player. No shared drops and little team synergy... doesn't really feel like the game is much different than playing through alone. Offline SP should have been an option.

I beg to differ. Been playing through on a Monk alt with a friend also on a Monk while in vent and our synergy has been awesome.

Godslay

Banned
I think you use the wrong pic, there is nothing in that post to be applauding for.

No it's the right pic. I can only imagine that supporting a game with 6+ million people is going to have some kinks initially. Creating software is tough first of all, supporting 6 million people is difficult, and it's never going to work perfect the first time. Have a little patience, and I'm sure Blizzard will work things out, especially given their past performances.

That day will only happen when the Blizzard gets their shit together and keeps the servers up 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Takuan

image.php

Since we're all waiting for servers to go back online, where's this from?

Edit: Nm, it's fan art and it looks better scaled down.

Superman00

Liverpool01
No it's the right pic. I can only imagine that supporting a game with 6+ million people is going to have some kinks initially. Creating software is tough first of all, supporting 6 million people is difficult, and it's never going to work perfect the first time. Have a little patience, and I'm sure Blizzard will work things out, especially given their past performances.

This isn't their first game. They have million of people on WOW and SC2.

Gattsu25

Banned

Next thing you'll know is that people will start calling fucking Phantasy Star Online an MMO

It is an always online game with 4 player co-op and optional drop in drop out support for the single player component.

The Hermit

I think you use the wrong pic, there is nothing in that post to be applauding for.

Actually, if he knows what that gif means exactly, he used the perfect gif.
I can count in one hand the times this gif was used properly.

EDIT:

my bad, he knows shit.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'd like to play offline but I cannot because cloud computing is always tested poorly because of it's nature.

Seems like Blizzard made a bad decision to design the game this way. It would be as if you cannot play demon souls without the server.

Next thing you'll know is that people will start calling fucking Phantasy Star Online an MMO

It is an always online game with 4 player co-op and optional drop in drop out support for the single player component.

Apparently any game where you can say hi to your friends on a buddy list is considered an MMO now.

Funny how all these people make "Blizzard fail" posts, and then when the servers are finally back up, we all know they'll addictively jump back in, play for months and buy all the expansions supporting the same company they hate so much.

This discussion will end when Blizzard stops using Interns to develop and test their major games :D

Once a good number of the core issues start fading away (server lag, ridiculous stutter, AH inconsistency, Inferno balancing), the frustration will fade away. Not a moment sooner. Given how much experience Blizzard has in these realms, it's truly surprising that a game could launch with support and quality being this poor.

Funny how all these people make "Blizzard fail" posts, and then when the servers are finally back up, we all know they'll addictively jump back in, play for months and buy all the expansions supporting the same company they hate so much.
Fail.

People don't hate the fucking game. They hate the problems in the fucking game, and the elongated time needed (or otherwise being taken) to address them.

Those are not the same thing at all. Everyone here wants to play the game until they've worn tired of it...nobody here wants to stop playing the game because of continued issues. It's fun and frustrating at the same time. Cut out the "frustrating" aspects and you have a very happy thread.

Aphexian

Why does Blizzard insist on having scheduled maintenance every Tuesday? Most MMO's these days don't need to do them and if they do it's certainly doesn't take them 6 hours to do so. I think I might have seen TERA do a scheduled maintenance like that once, and it lasted about 2-3 hours max.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

I still enjoy the game. But will I buy a sequel at launch if it doesn't have offline mode? Nope.

Others may not make any change, some may decide to not play at all. People don't react exactly the same.

zlatko

Banned
Dang I even stayed later at work(I NEVER do that...first time ever) AND I went and washed my car outside. Still not up? Well fuck me sideways sally.

Jinko

Of course that's consumers for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom