• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

maharg

idspispopd
It's not just a matter of the server being authoritative in D3's case. The thing running on your computer isn't just doing the same thing as the server with the server able to override it. The client in D3 is exactly that, basically a glorified web browser, just presenting what the server says is happening.

People have this notion that there's just some switch they'd have to flip that would make offline play happen and that's pretty clearly not the case, and I think their reasons are entirely sound (even without considering DRM). Frankly, they've made this game playable in SP in a way that D2 *wasn't* because you actually have a hope in fucking hell of actually getting high level items there's no way would ever drop for you in a SP game in D2. I, frankly, don't buy that very many people ever played D2 beyond Normal in an offline game (at least without using item editors etc, but that basically makes it not a game at all). D2 was an online game with a crippled single player.

They've moved it server side so they can manage and control the economy. This let's them make money off it, but it also makes it possible for everyone to have access to high level items.

elfinke

I've only ever played Diablo in single player, or in co-op on a LAN. The level of ridiculous hyperbole and whining on exhibition in forums when the servers are down is more than enough reason for me to stay the fuck away from playing with randoms. Christ.

Same this time around, I'll chat with friends in game, but I'm not particularly interested in playing in the same world as them.

Now, back to Tribes!

Gotchaye

Funny how all these people make "Blizzard fail" posts, and then when the servers are finally back up, we all know they'll addictively jump back in, play for months and buy all the expansions supporting the same company they hate so much.

Eh, kinda. There's nothing particularly weird about that behavior when you think about it. This isn't the sort of problem that's easy to address via boycott, because the server outages, while annoying, aren't enough to stop the game from being extremely good overall.

In other contexts, when more people are affected, and when we're talking about something a little more serious than not being able to play a video game, this is the sort of problem we fix with legislation.

Yeah, this is the last new Blizzard game I will buy at or anywhere near launch.

It's hard to believe I'm saying that, but it's true. WoW was a lot easier to forgive.

Funny how all these people make "Blizzard fail" posts, and then when the servers are finally back up, we all know they'll addictively jump back in, play for months and buy all the expansions supporting the same company they hate so much.

This is the part that amazes me. All of these people complaining and yet not only did these people not choose to boycott the practices by not purchasing the game, they didn't even have the wherewithal to wait a couple weeks to see how the servers are.

sega4ever

the expansions are usually what everyone wished the base game was.

Rufus

What? How is that funny at all?
"Hey, I'm not getting the thing I want desperately right now, wtfrage!" - "Funny how all these people are raging, huh? When it's back up they'll be playing like crazy anyway. People are weird."

I've only ever played Diablo in single player, or in co-op on a LAN. The level of ridiculous hyperbole and whining on exhibition in forums when the servers are down is more than enough reason for me to stay the fuck away from playing with randoms. Christ.

Same this time around, I'll chat with friends in game, but I'm not particularly interested in playing in the same world as them.

Now, back to Tribes!

The cesspool of what people write on those forums is the reason why I never play with randoms either. Never joined a public game, never will.

LiK

All of the "single player game" tears are so bitter.

It's a massively multiplayer online game, with a single (per region, per game mode [hardcore/regular]) economy that will (eventually) have some real world value associated with it.

The always online connection rule exists to theoretically preserve the value (both in dollars/euros and gold pieces) of their investment game.

An interesting, if not, strictly better, implementation would've been an Offline mode that exists at the same UI level as Hardcore and Regular, where Offline characters don't synchronize data with the servers and can't access auction houses or the stash of an Online account.

I am betting this wasn't included because of authoritative state management for certain elements of the experience (i.e. A Character's position in the world: the Client sees his character in position A and the server says you are in position B -and the server is authoritative, so the position is updated server side, and the client may not even catch up with it before the death screen begins to play [this is probably why Yoshi died in that suite of pictures in the last thread where he said he was quitting and was done posting here]).

tl;dr version: quit crying

4 players max in one game is massive?

Godslay

Banned
This isn't their first game. They have million of people on WOW and SC2.

And? They are different games, with different implementations. I'm sure that some of the experience parlays, but it is not an apples to apples comparison. Things that break in DIII might be completely different than that of WOW. Experience from one game might not carry over to another.

Call me a Blizzard apologist if you will, but the fact remains that Blizzard has a history of trying to fixing things, and supporting their games long after most companies move on. With the way things are connected now, it's not unheard of to have downtime.

Gattsu25

Banned
Apparently any game where you can say hi to your friends on a buddy list is considered an MMO now.
The thing I don't get with the MMO comment is that people forget why the first M even exists at times.

It's the reason why the first Guild Wars was not an MMO yet the second one will be one.

Plus, I'm not arguing that the way that Diablo III was designed makes it possible to play the game offline. I know that they have most of the game logic server side. Just arguing that the game requiring an internet connection does not preclude it from also being a game with a single player mode that features optional drop-in-drop-out multiplayer support.

Or, you know, miss out all together because of this shit. Not everyone has the luxury of waiting around 24/7 for shit they bought to work right.

Ramirez

I, frankly, don't buy that very many people ever played D2 beyond Normal in an offline game (at least without using item editors etc, but that basically makes it not a game at all). D2 was an online game with a crippled single player.

I believe the same as well, but of course when things play out the way they have here you get the vocal minority screaming which makes it sound like SP D2 is all they ever played, heh.

If it really pisses you guys off that much, don't play it anymore, and don't support them in the future. Or, you could just go do something else until the servers come back up.

This is the part that amazes me. All of these people complaining and yet not only did these people choose to not support the practices by not purchasing the game, they didn't even have the wherewithal to wait a couple weeks to see how the servers are.

Reminds me of the Call of Duty boycott thing on Steam, then of course most of the members of the group bought Call of Duty.

Different game, same behavior. Words are wind.

kpeezy

Banned
I had a lot of fun for a couple of weeks but I don't see my self grinding Hell to get gold to go buy shit on the AH so I can have a chance in Act II Inferno (I'm wearing 75% AH gear). I'll be playing SC2 tonight so I can be even more frustrated by a video game.

Jinko

4 players max in one game is massive?

The potential player base is massive, that being said it has more in common with an MMO than a multiplayer game, as all the calculations are done server side and sent back to the client.

There is a lot more happening on the servers than just players online status.

maharg made a good point, in that the single player and multiplayer aspect of the game are now the same thing, which IMO is a good thing as you can use the same data without starting from scratch.

Ezio

Welp, looks like the short amount of time I do get to play is coming to an end here shortly.

Blizzard REALLY needs to get this shit straight.

Superman00

Liverpool01
And? They are different games, with different implementations. I'm sure that some of the experience parlays, but it is not an apples to apples comparison. Things that break in DIII might be completely different than that of WOW. Experience from one game might not carry over to another.

Call me a Blizzard apologist if you will, but the fact remains that Blizzard has a history of trying to fixing things, and supporting their games long after most companies move on. With the way things are connected now, it's not unheard of to have downtime.

And just like any other company, people can call them out when shit isn't working. Just because they have a good record doesn't necessarily give them a free pass.

This is fucked up.. My buddy from out of town is over with his computer to play whimsyshire with me and catch up since it's been 7 years and he's been at war......

Servers are down? =( What in the living fuck blizzard this is getting too much... Support your fucking game! Put up some new servers or i'm sure there will be more than a few customers lost....

Put me in the category "never thought I'd say this"... but....

LiK

The potential player base is massive, that being said it has more in common with an MMO than a multiplayer game, as all the calculations are done server side and sent back to the client.

There is a lot more happening on the servers than just players online status.

maharg made a good point, in that the single player and multiplayer aspect of the game are now the same thing, which IMO is a good thing as you can use the same data without starting from scratch.

ok, i agree with that.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
You are complaining about people not having the luxury of waiting around for a luxury item...

Let's put a 4 hour wait randomly in a movie theater. It's a luxury item, the customers can take it.

It's hard to believe I'm saying that, but it's true. WoW was a lot easier to forgive.
The very first week of MMOs and online games are usually the best gaming experience I have, even with the expected downtimes.

It's something I just can't miss, especially when it's a Blizzard title.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
and the client may not even catch up with it before the death screen begins to play [this is probably why Yoshi died in that suite of pictures in the last thread where he said he was quitting and was done posting here]).

I'm genuinely interested... do you have the link to the that post? I honestly can't remember it :lol

Junie12

I find it hard to forgive the WoW launch cause I was paying 15 bucks a month for that shit!

At least with D3 there's no subscription..

But yeah I'm gonna promise to myself to never buy another Blizzard game at launch ever again...

The hype will kill me, I am so gonna break that promise

aznpxdd

When I got off work, servers were down. When I went to sleep, servers were down. Now that I woke up early to squeeze in a quick session, servers are down.

What the fuck man.

rCIZZLE

I beg to differ. Been playing through on a Monk alt with a friend also on a Monk while in vent and our synergy has been awesome.

It's not like it used to be though. It's a lot different than Sorcs with tp, Paladins with auras, Barbs with warcry buffs, Necros with damage buffs, and I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting. After the runewords this changed a lot but the core synergy didn't. Now it just feels dumbed down even while they're trying to make this more multiplayer focused.

Rufus

You are complaining about people not having the luxury of waiting around for a luxury item...
What difference does that make? If people were apathetic to something it wouldn't be a luxury item. It's not something you necessarily need but still want, the latter of which is reason for annoyance when you can't have it. What is so revelatory about this behaviour, honestly?

Jinko

Let's put a 4 hour wait randomly in a movie theater. It's a luxury item, the customers can take it.

Well I suppose if the projector broke or there was a power outage you may just have to go without, granted you would probably get a refund.

It's really not the same thing at all though is it :p

All the people telling to get over it are being very annoying. I get it, the issue is not as important to you, but don't try to demoralize / deconstruct people who are offended by the poor product they have purchased.

I basically bought a new laptop and paid 60 bucks to buy the game and play it. All in all I probably spent 1200 looking forward to the game. Off course I needed a laptop all together because my old one was 8 years old, but still.

I'm not crying. I'm not moaning. I'm saying that I'm being under-serviced by the company and yes, I should be able to play the game I paid for without any hassles.

I even waited a week to buy the game as I expected server crashes and slowdown from the get go. But yes, I do have the right to complain over:

- Getting essentially an unfinished product.

- Getting bad service from the company providing it.

- Not being able to play my game.

Blizzard has done a terrible job with their customers. They're lucky their IPs are beloved enough by their customers that they will turn a blind eye to their terrible mistakes in the last couple years, but man, have they been pushing people's buttons lately.

Lombax

Banned
thefuck.jpg

the fuck? error 33 all this bullshit for an auction house...

The very first week of MMOs and online games are usually the best gaming experience I have, even with the expected downtimes.

It's something I just can't miss, especially when it's a Blizzard title.

You can still get a big chunk of that experience if you hop in shortly before the first expansion and catch up, I think. That's my plan for the future. It's not worth it anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old, I dunno, but it seems silly to pay to put up with this level of aggravation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom