• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revoh

D3servers2.gif

ari

Banned
fuck this shit. if it wasn't for forums i wouldn't be able to contain my hate for this crap. fuck you blizzard.

Every error message produced by the server should add +1 XP reward for beating the final boss, +10 gold to his dropped loot, and create one more legendary item.

If they did this Blizzard could shift some of the blame from themselves towards those damn evil demons.

yea, stupid. i had to leave it asap. another annoyance.
What the hell?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bet they're forcing people to join General Chat by default to make it feel more like a multiplayer game in hopes that people will stop complaining (however slightly) that their single-player game is down for maintenance.

New Monk changes on the Mantra of Healing with Boon of Inspiration rune (previously Protection) give about 180 life on hit. That's not terrible if you don't have high resists to get the most out of the resist rune choice, but still want the Mantra for the shield+heal effect.

I roll with 610 life per hit and would like to get that up near 1k but will need a reasonably rolled Ouroboros to get there and that's going to cost a small fortune.

Anyone has f'ed up auction house bids? I won an item for amount way more (700K gold) than what I actually bid for it, and there's a refund for the same exact item in my completed list for my actual bid (43K gold)

B-net won't even let me report this because of an "unknown error"

Wallach

The potential player base is massive, that being said it has more in common with an MMO than a multiplayer game, as all the calculations are done server side and sent back to the client.

There is a lot more happening on the servers than just players online status.

maharg made a good point, in that the single player and multiplayer aspect of the game are now the same thing, which IMO is a good thing as you can use the same data without starting from scratch.

The calculations really have fuck all to do with anything in terms of what label this game needs. You don't define a genre by the internal workings; the actual users are a lot more interested in the output of said internal workings when they're trying to figure out how to describe a video game. By that kind of logic Battlefield 3 is an MMO and a far more fully featured one than that. We don't though really because there's no reason to; we don't apply labels to games to figure out which user experience flaws we need to excuse, we apply them to help people understand what the gameplay might be like without them having played it.

Diablo 3 has even less in common gameplay wise with an MMO than Diablo 2. There are less players per game, less ways for players to interact with each other, and less forms of game management to connect players. By all measures it is farther from this distinction than the previous game was, but nobody was in any rush to call Diablo 2 an MMO. Mainly because just like Diablo 2 - and in fact to even more of a degree - this game makes no design decisions around the assumption that you ever be playing with another player. Ever. That is in fact the core that separates MMOs from other genres; not fucking online DRM or the ability to chat with people or even an item Auction House, but the idea that other players interacting with you via gameplay is actually reflected throughout the gameplay. It's not here, not even to the slightest bit more than the previous entry. It even automatically blocks your games from the public until it has your consent to do otherwise.

They can call this series an MMO when they actually design it as one, not just because they've built their long-term revenue stream around digital transactions of virtual goods at the cost of offline gameplay features.

Opiate

I was just thinking Diablo 3 was missing a few gratuitous racial slurs. Thankfully Blizzard remedied that situation by auto enabling general chat -- they're always thinking ahead!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Zps8K.jpg

Why... now it's automatic spam when I join a game. FFFUUUUU
This is fucking terrible.

/leave 1

every time now :/

Wallach

This is fucking terrible.

/leave 1

every time now :/

It's actually sort of a band-aid fix to help some disconnection issues. When connected to the chat server (even one you aren't seeing the output from) you're far less likely to have your connection dropped due to timeout.

Rokam

I was just thinking Diablo 3 was missing a few gratuitous racial slurs. Thankfully Blizzard remedied that situation by auto enabling general chat -- they're always thinking ahead!

Just wait till they link it to WoW trade chat so we can have "anal" spam.

maharg

idspispopd
The calculations really have fuck all to do with anything in terms of what label this game needs. You don't define a genre by the internal workings; the actual users are a lot more interested in the output of said internal workings when they're trying to figure out how to describe a video game. By that kind of logic Battlefield 3 is an MMO and a far more fully featured one than that. We don't though really because there's no reason to; we don't apply labels to games to figure out which user experience flaws we need to excuse, we apply them to help people understand what the gameplay might be like without them having played it.

Diablo 3 has even less in common gameplay wise with an MMO than Diablo 2. There are less players per game, less ways for players to interact with each other, and less forms of game management to connect players. By all measures it is farther from this distinction than the previous game was, but nobody was in any rush to call Diablo 2 an MMO. Mainly because just like Diablo 2 - and in fact to even more of a degree - this game makes no design decisions around the assumption that you ever be playing with another player. Ever. That is in fact the core that separates MMOs from other genres; not fucking online DRM or the ability to chat with people or even an item Auction House, but the idea that other players interacting with you via gameplay is actually reflected throughout the gameplay. It's not here, not even to the slightest bit more than the previous entry. It even automatically blocks your games from the public until it has your consent to do otherwise.

They can call this series an MMO when they actually design it as one, not just because they've built their long-term revenue stream around digital transactions of virtual goods at the cost of offline gameplay features.

I agree it's not an MMO, but I think this is kind of a useless semantic argument. I don't think Blizzard has ever called it one, and I don't think the only games that can or should be online only are MMOs. I've played plenty of online-only games, going all the way back to early 90s doors, that are definitely not MMOs.

Also, no one called D2 an MMO not so much because it wasn't one (again, I agree it wasn't one), but because that term didn't even exist when it came out.

It's actually sort of a band-aid fix to help some disconnection issues. When connected to the chat server (even one you aren't seeing the output from) you're far less likely to have your connection dropped due to timeout.

Kind of like how the authenticator fixes their piss-poor password security management.

LiK

that band-aid burns my skin.

jkoch

Man, after I got hacked they reverted my dude WAY back. I lost ALL the new expensive shit I bought and all the items I was keeping for fat cash in my chest is all GONE. and they said If I get hacked again I can't use the auction house ever again. COOL GAME blizzard

How long did it take them to restore?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Grats everyone :3

Have I been hacked? Every fifth log-in attempt it is telling me that my log-in information is wrong. :/ I went to battle.net through my browser, logged in with my password and changed it and it's still telling me it's wrong on 1/5 attempts.

Mothman91

NOOOOOOOOOOO I SAW A EPIC FOR 80k AND I WENT OT BUY IT.

IT WAS ALREADY SOLD

NOOOOOOOOOOO

woah on another note. All the shit I put up right when the servers came up...sold.

NICEEEEE

Really? Because I've had more dropouts since they release the patch adding that then I did before it.

Rufus

That's actually quite amusing.

Westonian

So I'm constantly re-entering my password trying to logon, and I type it all lower case (special characters notwithstanding) and it successfully authenticates.

What the hell? I just re-verified this, and sure enough the logon authenticates just fine.

Blizzard passwords are NOT CASE SENSITIVE! No wonder they want everyone using authenticators because brute forcing your passwords is magnitudes easier than every password verification in the world.

So I'm constantly re-entering my password trying to logon, and I type it all lower case (special characters notwithstanding) and it successfully authenticates.

What the hell? I just re-verified this, and sure enough the logon authenticates just fine.

Blizzard passwords are NOT CASE SENSITIVE! No wonder they want everyone using authenticators because brute forcing your passwords is magnitudes easier than every password verification in the world.

Old news lol

Wallach

I agree it's not an MMO, but I think this is kind of a useless semantic argument. I don't think Blizzard has ever called it one, and I don't think the only games that can or should be online only are MMOs. I've played plenty of online-only games, going all the way back to early 90s doors, that are definitely not MMOs.

Also, no one called D2 an MMO not so much because it wasn't one (again, I agree it wasn't one), but because that term didn't even exist when it came out.

The actual point is that if people aren't hiding behind the "MMO" label, then people have every right to be upset about the features this game lacks that it shouldn't and in fact did not lack in the past. Nobody wants to hear "quit crying" from someone as if we're supposed to care about the reason Blizzard ultimately compromised in favor of themselves. We know why the did that, it doesn't actually address the concern people were voicing. The criticism is valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom