• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
QUvDM.jpg

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I honestly don't get this argument. There are online services that serve way more than 6 million users. There are online services that never go down because there's something called backup servers. And don't tell me this happens with other online games too. Just because video gamers are willing to put up with this doesn't mean they should.

They have a beta to test things out. Servers failing and full means 1) The game wasn't ready for launch, or 2) They don't have enough servers.

Money cannot fix everything but they can hire the best people they can find and buy more servers. Servers still full after they bought more servers? Then buy some more! Blizzard chose to keep everything online and have the servers do all the calculations. If having enough servers to allow everyone who bought the game to play at the same time is not a sustainable business model, then this is their problem. Customers should never have to make excuses for them.

Developing the right infrastructure is hard, you can't just say "Okay, this is the sort of load we had with diablo II, lets imitate that" and be done with it. You have to consider a million different things, and no amount of beta testing is going to give you a 100% accurate prediction.

Was this a perfect launch? No. Is this indicative of laziness or... I don't know what else people think? Absolutely not. It sucks, but it isn't like they WANT it to suck.

linsivvi

Developing the right infrastructure is hard, you can't just say "Okay, this is the sort of load we had with diablo II, lets imitate that" and be done with it. You have to consider a million different things, and no amount of beta testing is going to give you a 100% accurate prediction.

Was this a perfect launch? No. Is this indicative of laziness or... I don't know what else people think? Absolutely not. It sucks, but it isn't like they WANT it to suck.

No shit. This is the path Blizzard chose to take. So they have to live with the fallout and bad press when they fail to achieve it.

Servers full and long downtime generally means not having enough servers. This is not an indication of laziness, but an indication of greed in choosing profit over providing an acceptable service to customers.

Alex

The argument happens every time a big online game comes out, especially one with a new type of infrastructure. It sucks, and there's no excusing it but you get used to it after years and years of these games. What really gets me though is mainly the latency, that's what really bugs me since it's so consistent.

I don't know whats clogged or where or whose fault it is (happened to WoW in it's early boom and they blamed their ISP or something) but the shit needs to stop.

http://youtu.be/aBK9O5nDJlM

Unicorn

But this is Blizzard. 8 years of WoW taught them nothing in Server infrastructure, maintenance or any of the other intricacies?

Blizzard is on the chopping block about this because they are the one company that shouldn't have these kinds of problems. Especially with all the monthly income they STILL get with WoW.

The more I see the AH problems, the more I think they're hosting this on Amazon Cloud or something.

Remember when Reddit was perpetually fucked a year or so ago and they ended up moving off of Amazon? I bet you this is what's happening here and they are currently in that phase where they're like "fuck is there any way to salvage this without moving off of Amazon". The next phase will be doing it the right way.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
But this is Blizzard. 8 years of WoW taught them nothing in Server infrastructure, maintenance or any of the other intricacies?

Blizzard is on the chopping block about this because they are the one company that shouldn't have these kinds of problems. Especially with all the monthly income they STILL get with WoW.

Probably went the cheap route since D3 is "f2p" and doesn't have passive support like WoW til the RMAH.

different games.. apples to oranges. You cant just cut and copy infrasturcture like this. I really wanted to play tonight but, i guess im am out of luck, no skin off my back. I still love the game, and the ah and its meta game. It has been super fun, and even better when this shit is together. A single day without it is not going to make me break down in tears and scream at the internet in rage, asking for the heads of people who are doing the best they can to give us a product.

I don't do this ever, but could anyone help me realize what this might be worth?

yellow ring: lvl 50 required
63 dext
49 life after kill
28 regen per sec
health globes grant 1101
1 socket space

Seems good for monks with all their health regen needs that I was reading about? I dunno, don't play monk.

Biff

This "cheap route" is inexcusable. ATVI is going to make a shit-ton on the RMAH. 15% commission on each sale? I bet the RMAH doesn't have these issues when it starts.... Just the gold AH where Blizz doesn't make real money from it.

There's actually nothing we can do either. Just like how COD has been using the same POS engine for 5 years now. They break records with each release, we suffer for a month with under-capacity servers, demand stabilizes to what they offer, and then we play until the next game.

I don't do this ever, but could anyone help me realize what this might be worth?

yellow ring: lvl 50 required
63 dext
49 life after kill
28 regen per sec
health globes grant 1101
1 socket space

Seems good for monks with all their health regen needs that I was reading about? I dunno, don't play monk.
I'm a monk. That's useless for me. If I found that I would vendor it.

I feel bad for the guys who work on the Auction House backend team. I can forgive them for some initial launch problems, but it's been 2 weeks now and it hasn't really improved at all. Given that I've implemented similar systems on previous games I know how difficult an Auction House can be, especially when it has to scale to such high load demands, but they really should have had most of this ironed out by now, and it's pretty shameful that they still haven't fixed the major bottlenecks. I suspect there's a fundamental design flaw somewhere, like the whole thing is some stupid web service or it's hosted on the cloud.
Well wouldn't that just suck a donkey's ass.

The programmer in me feels some empathy for what Blizzard's tech teams must be going through, but the consumer in me is just floored that these issues are still plaguing the game. Regardless they're in the shit now.

Biff

Someone with both amazing programming skills, economic/finance background and a lot of free time would make a killing on a Kelly's Blue Book like site where users can buy "quote tokens", submit your item specs, spend a token, get an estimate AH value. Or just enjoy the insane ad revenue from page views.

AH MY IDEA DON'T STEAL IT (or at least send me 10% thinker's fee royalty on each sale/monthly revenue kthx)

So I tried to buy a weapon for 300k, didn't go through. Servers went down, now I'm missing the gold and have no item. wtf??? >;(

Stop complaining or never think about a blizzard product again, I hate whiners, omg.

That stinks in all seriousness, my experience has been that you'll get one or the other eventually.

Kreunt

Banned
they arent going to spend a shitload of money on extra hardware just to make sure everything is smooth at launch when that hardware wont be necessary after a few weeks. especially on a game that isnt subscription based.

vaelic

Banned
they arent going to spend a shitload of money on extra hardware just to make sure everything is smooth at launch when that hardware wont be necessary after a few weeks. especially on a game that isnt subscription based.

then shame on them

I figured out why the Auction House is so terrible.

It appears to use the same physical TCP connection (and hence the same IP address) used by the login process. Facepalm.

They should not be hosting the login server and the auction house server on the same ip address.

Opiate

So, since we're discussing Blizzard being bad, I'd say that I don't personally feel that any of Blizzard's missteps with Diablo 3 are major. Annoying, but mostly fleeting problems. Instead, here are the major mistakes I feel Blizzard has made in the past 5 years:

1) Not properly supporting esports for Starcraft 2. The lack of LAN is obvious, but more generally their almost complete inability to create a firm, refined infrastructure for Starcraft 2 competitions has allowed competitors to come out of nowhere and catch them, such as Riot Games. Blizzard had this market in the palm of their hands if they'd simply approached it the right way, but they're gradually letting it slip away. As it stands, esports remains essentially a fractured mess, with lots of different leagues, lots of different tournaments, teams loosely supported by PC peripheral makers, and not much else. It's growing despite this, but it could have done much better if someone had come in and said, "This is the way it's going to be, this is how the league works, we will create the infrastructure," and taken some share of the profits in the process. This would essentially have been an additional revenue stream not unlike the RMAH is for Diablo: not a huge moneymaker, but a consistent one that both adds some additional revenue and also increases the longevity of the game.

2) Missing DotA. Huge, and obvious. Does not require a paragraph of explanation like the one above this.

3) Awkwardly transitioning to f2p for MMOs. Obviously WoW has so much cache that it does not require f2p, but my guess is the complete lack of information on Titan is a direct consequence of the rise of f2p and how difficult it would be to launch a brand new MMO as a subscription game in 2012, and expect that game to do anywhere near as well as WoW did.

These are very significant blunders that, in my opinion, dwarf early-release launch issues for an already hugely popular Diablo 3.

colinp

Banned
different games.. apples to oranges. You cant just cut and copy infrasturcture like this. I really wanted to play tonight but, i guess im am out of luck, no skin off my back. I still love the game, and the ah and its meta game. It has been super fun, and even better when this shit is together. A single day without it is not going to make me break down in tears and scream at the internet in rage, asking for the heads of people who are doing the best they can to give us a product.

This kind of rational thinking grounded in reality has no place in this thread full of adolescent rage and people wishing they could 'sex' the enchantress.

Zeliard

"The auction log in the Completed tab will now display a player's activity (bids, buyouts, sales, etc) in the proper order."

Staggering achievement, Blizzard. Now for another very basic and obvious tweak that should have always been there, make it so that people can tell how much failed auctions originally sold for.

And make it so that people can get in to play the game. That'd be nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom