• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phenomic

Okay so I feel like I've hit a complete wall in this game and not sure really what to do about it. I'm not super rich; but not completely poor, and I've been trying to steadily increase my gear for survival in inferno.

There seems to be this big jump in between difficulty for Act 1 and Act 2. All I seem to see response wise online is people questioning how hard the game is and others just telling them to simply "get better gear", which quite frankly isn't very helpful and feels like it negates all these upgrades I've been working on to seemly worthless.

I have a Demon Hunter and a Monk I've been playing on and with their current gear sets easily solo and group play act 1. So I go to try act 2 and everything just owns me within 1 or 2 hits and it's simply becoming boring just farming act 1 the whole way through days and days at a time.

That all being said, I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is what are the numbers I need to be shooting for to get through Act 2 and then I guess 3 and 4 Inferno in terms of HP, Resistances, and Damage. Anyone with class specific information further into the game as a DH or Monk would be fantastic. I want to keep enjoying this game because it's been a blast up until this point, but if I must spend millions upon millions of gold on a single item and then do it for 13 slots of gear (for two characters) to just get into act 2 I think I'm done.

furfoots

On my monk im progressing through act 2 inferno. Got maghda on farm with 5 valor. My stats are pretty basic with only 8k dps, 42k health, 30% dodge, 405 resist all, 4500 armour, life on hit 750.

Some packs give me trouble but I'm still tweaking my skill setup. Working up life on hit and attack speed definitely gives me the biggest boosts to survivability followed closely by resists.

<edit> In reply to above start out with the following skill setup on monk.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aighYX!XYU!aZYcYc

Rotate your defensive abilities and try to use evasion mantra as often as possible for the heal. If you're in a sticky situation hit BOH for some breathing space. Thunderclap is great for easy wasp kills and remember to keep mobs infront of you so you interupt them with the knockback from fists of thunder.

Then work on your gear with priority being LOH > Attack speed > Resists > Dex > VIT > Armour

A huge boost for me was getting a 500 dps 350 LOH (+170 dex, 70 vit) weapon (socketed with +190 LOH now), I was quite early on the LOH train so got it for 80k as I don't have any money to my name :) It will probably set you back 600k now.

tn2007

I have 8.8k/900-1k and stuff still gives me trouble in A2. Good luck guys!

edit: here are my stats
stats_60.jpg

A2 is definitely doable but there are still some struggles. A3 is kind of hit or miss. Some of the stuff there hits WAY harder than others. I can tank some packs and then some other packs just 2 shot me. It's very inconsistent/frustrating because I have no idea what I can other than stacking more defenses.

Wow you have a lot of money. Why not buy a stormshield? Or a string of ears?

Yeppers

Uh no, I don't think so, equip a same dps item one with IAS and one without, you'll see an increase in DPS with the IAS one, so I doubt it.

Go look at weapons on the AH. Spend a couple minutes looking at weapons and it will be pretty obvious.

syllogism

Yeah maybe it shows, but it impacts offhand as well,no ?
That's a very good point and I have to take that into consideration when I finally decide to invest 10+M on a weapon upgrade. Fast weapons will benefit more from my 100-360 skull than slow ones.

Wallach

Yeah maybe it shows, but it impacts offhand as well,no ?

Not directly, no. If you equip an offhand you will get 15% IAS as a bonus to both hands, but the IAS on a weapon is already factored into its base weapon speed. IAS as a property on your main hand does not improve the speed of your offhand.

eek5

Wow you have a lot of money. Why not buy a stormshield? Or a string of ears?

This is my shield right now:
mysh.jpg

I think it's pretty good for what it is and it mitigates a larger damage range than SS. Also, good stormshields are closer to the 20-30 million range (whereas my shield was 800k-1mil) and I think I can make more improvements with that money by upgrading other pieces.

I'm waiting to find a good string of ears roll (20% reduction, str or vit, +20 RA, 90 life on hit) which is the only reason I don't have one right now but it's on my list.

Uh no, I don't think so, equip a same dps item one with IAS and one without, you'll see an increase in DPS with the IAS one, so I doubt it.

It's easy to verify. Any 2 weapons of a given type (Axe, Polearm, etc) will always have the same attack speed if there is no IAS on the item. For example, two different 1H Axes will always be 1.3 APS. If the weapon additionally has IAS on it, the APS goes up, and hence dps of the weapon goes up accordingly.

Keeping this in mind, there's a bug in the AH display. When looking at a weapon in your inventory / stash while in the AH, it does not factor in bonus from socket. In other words, you can have a weapon in your inventory and in game it says the DPS is 200, and in the AH the same weapon says 180 DPS. So it's possible to have misleading DPS number reported.

This doesn't seem related to your original question, but I mention it because it's certainly possible other aspects of DPS calculation don't work correctly in the AH.

Thoraxes

You know, I would love to see it if we could sell our unidentified items on the AH.

It would be a great roulette, and the gambling portion would just be too much fun for me to pass up on. Just separate the unidentified from the identified in an easy manner.

demigod

So I just got a GTX 670, is anyone stuttering in this game? I turned on vsync and it helped a little but I still stutter every now and then. Wondering if its the same problem like War3 where I stutter if it wasn't on the main hard drive.

mysh.jpg

I think it's pretty good for what it is and it mitigates a larger damage range than SS. Also, good stormshields are closer to the 20-30 million range (whereas my shield was 800k-1mil) and I think I can make more improvements with that money by upgrading other pieces.

I'm waiting to find a good string of ears roll (20% reduction, str or vit, +20 RA, 90 life on hit) which is the only reason I don't have one right now but it's on my list.

That's what I call a shield ! Oo

Totakeke

You know, I would love to see it if we could sell our unidentified items on the AH.

It would be a great roulette, and the gambling portion would just be too much fun for me to pass up on. Just separate the unidentified from the identified in an easy manner.

Blacksmithing says hello.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Level 53 and I still can't get rid of these things.

XXpIX.png

I've wasted a lot of gold buying items that seem like they'd be way better off the AH but they never are. I'm now on Hell and I really want items with Dex and Vitality but I can't get myself to put any item that reduces my DPS, no matter how much Vitality it has.

Yay! Just got to Nightmare. I started playing multiplayer for the first time since I got the game - I wanted to go AH and player free for the first difficulty level and then start rushing through NM once I cleared the first difficulty and got to understand what the story was like.

Bought my first item at the A.H, too. It's pretty ridiculous, my damage was (and still is) terribly low (I got into NM with 600 DPS with my monk, lol), so I went to the A.H and bought an item for 15k.

It sucks cause I did try to look / craft / for better items as I played through normal and I had such a hard time finding a semi-decent weapon. I found something slotted that I like after several attempts at crafting, but when I got to NM, it took me 3 minutes in the AH to find a weapon with twice the damage output :/ goes to show how useless it is to try to actually find items in the game.

And the prices are ridiculous right now. I bought this item for 15k, and there were several items that were very, very, very similar with buyouts for 1kk+. It's ridiculous.

Blizzard will to find a way to make gold more valuable, because with prices like that I can see the game just going down the shitters in no time :p

inky

First legendary was crap, first set item was crap, lost some good items due to AH down time and I still need to farm like 10 million gold. *sigh*

Game's pretty good when it works, but there's a lot of shit preventing me from enjoying it like I feel I should.

mysh.jpg

that shield is ridiculous.

Wallach

Bwahahaha.

Couldn't help it if I wanted to. It's what Diablo 2 turned into for me. The "real" trading market in Diablo 2 was fucking hilarious (and bizarre) at times and one of the most social game experiences I've ever had. My interest in the economy of this game will almost certainly sustain stronger than my interest in the gameplay itself.

Totakeke

I'm aware of blacksmithing and that kind of relationship.

I want to see unidentified items on the AH for money where some people sell crazy shit for a lot or something.

You're still gambling, just not publicly gambling. I guess what you want is for people to see you buy unidentified items off AH?

Couldn't help it if I wanted to. It's what Diablo 2 turned into for me. The "real" trading market in Diablo 2 was fucking hilarious (and bizarre) at times and one of the most social game experiences I've ever had. My interest in the economy of this game will almost certainly sustain stronger than my interest in the gameplay itself.

Oh I totally get it. I ended up being more drawn into the economy in WoW for the last period I was playing than raiding (even though I dearly love raiding under the right circumstances).

It was just the antiques roadshow comparison that got me. I may take inspiration from that for a new thread subtitle sometime.

Thoraxes

You're still gambling, just not publicly gambling. I guess what you want is for people to see you buy unidentified items off AH?

Yes and without crafting material requirements to obtain.

I'm not saying make it mandatory either, I would just like to see that as an option.

^ not bad. too many set pieces to have to get though. damn.

someone mentioned crafting bad Legendaries? I have one worth probably about 75k. should I just craft it? will that yield something more valuable? or sell it?

Wallach

Oh I totally get it. I ended up being more drawn into the economy in WoW for the last period I was playing than raiding (even though I dearly love raiding under the right circumstances).

It was just the antiques roadshow comparison that got me. I may take inspiration from that for a new thread subtitle sometime.

Sometimes I catch myself thinking like that guy from Pawn Stars when browsing the AH.

Keeping this in mind, there's a bug in the AH display. When looking at a weapon in your inventory / stash while in the AH, it does not factor in bonus from socket. In other words, you can have a weapon in your inventory and in game it says the DPS is 200, and in the AH the same weapon says 180 DPS. So it's possible to have misleading DPS number reported.

It's not a bug.
I'm very greatefull for this behaviour as you can swap gem to other so dmg with gem is worthless statistic.

Abylim

Right, cant get past updating tools on my launcher.
It got to the patch, said my game was ready to play so i clicked play, and now its greyed out. I waited a good 10 minutes, nothing happened so i closed it. Now when i launch it just says updating tools 0% and nothings happening.

colinp

Banned
^ not bad. too many set pieces to have to get though. damn.

someone mentioned crafting bad Legendaries? I have one worth probably about 75k. should I just craft it? will that yield something more valuable? or sell it?

Doesn't the Diablo3.com game guide show what you can get for crafting Legendaries?

edit: by craft we mean salvage, right?

Thoraxes

Right, cant get past updating tools on my launcher.
It got to the patch, said my game was ready to play so i clicked play, and now its greyed out. I waited a good 10 minutes, nothing happened so i closed it. Now when i launch it just says updating tools 0% and nothings happening.

Temp disable your peerblocker/antivirus/firewall and/or port forward the proper ones for the launcher.

Totakeke

no idea. I've never looked at it. I know you get something...I just don't konw if it'll be more valuable than 75k or whatever i could get for the Legendary.

It does, check the website. I thought the crafting screen would show the same information, but all it says is random properties?

Edit: Yeah, I'm pretty sure you mean salvaging, not crafting. The website does show what you get from salvaging legendaries.

Carm

Has Blizzard stated when a rare, legendary ,set items stats are generated? When the game loads, when first encountering the mob, when it drops or when it's identified?

LordAlu

So, I'm just starting Act 1 on Hell with my level 51 Monk. I've got just over 15k HP, 2.2k Armor and 2k damage. Big image in quotes:

I play co-op with a Barbarian friend, and we've not really had any trouble so far, but I'd like to know what experienced Monk's think I should be going for in my equipment/stats/passives/skills etc? Should I continue going for DEX/VIT gear or start looking for other stats before that? What about weapons, should I go for Attack Speed, Crit %, or even swap my dual wield for 1H/Shield or 2H?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So, I'm just starting Act 1 on Hell with my level 51 Monk. I've got just over 15k HP, 2.2k Armor and 2k damage. Big image in quotes:

I play co-op with a Barbarian friend, and we've not really had any trouble so far, but I'd like to know what experienced Monk's think I should be going for in my equipment/stats/passives/skills etc? Should I continue going for DEX/VIT gear or start looking for other stats before that? What about weapons, should I go for Attack Speed, Crit %, or even swap my dual wield for 1H/Shield or 2H?

You are going to want some serious resistance gear going forward.

It does, check the website. I thought the crafting screen would show the same information, but all it says is random properties?

Edit: Yeah, I'm pretty sure you mean salvaging, not crafting. The website does show what you get from salvaging legendaries.

kk. will take a peek. ty!

Jubbly

Got my first set item tonight. Can't really tell if it's good or not. The DPS is kinda low, but the other stats all seem pretty beast, and the 2 set bonus is really good it seems like.

Zfjca.jpg

Is this decent, even if only as a starter weapon for Lv. 60?

Bahaha, the final set bonus literally does nothing. What an incredible upgrade!

Since you don't have much gold, search for armor on the AH with DEX/Vit and a single resistance of your choice (I chose poison resist for instance) and put it on every slot you can. Then choose the passive One with Everything to give you a high resist all. Eventually you're gonna want to get gear with resist all on it, since One with Everything isn't really necessary. Resist all gear is way expensive though.

Edit: And you absolutely should use a shield, you'll need the damage mitigation going forward. Just make sure when choosing a weapon, you don't just go for the highest DPS, also look at attack speed too. Attack speed is what gives us spirit, so factor that into your choice as well.

foladar

Yes, that and also the +X% dmg.
What's not included is the +IAS% and crit chance.

Wait, so a 713 dps 1hander with +18% IAS is better than a 713 dps 1hander without, for example? The +18% IAS isn't factored into the 713 dps? Whoops.

edit: man the thread moved, saw the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom