• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. so if I'm reading this all correctly, Firery Bringstone only gets created from salvaged level 59-60 Legendaries?

and I see it's a blacksmith thing...which I assume means I'd have to upgrade my blacksmith in order to have the opportunity to use it?

LordCanti

Here's an updated list of the stuff I'm peddling, for anyone interested (mostly level 60 kit, NA only):

RuaUA.jpg

Has Blizzard stated when a rare, legendary ,set items stats are generated? When the game loads, when first encountering the mob, when it drops or when it's identified?

I've heard people say that it's when the item drops. Identify now, or identify later, there's no difference.

Fiery brimstone has a chance to salvage from anything. I have 10 of em from just salvaging 60 blues / yellows.

There's a higher chance from legendaries though, right?

Yeppers

Hmm. so if I'm reading this all correctly, Firery Bringstone only gets created from salvaged level 59-60 Legendaries?

and I see it's a blacksmith thing...which I assume means I'd have to upgrade my blacksmith in order to have the opportunity to use it?

Fiery brimstone has a chance to salvage from anything. I have 10 of em from just salvaging 60 blues / yellows.

oh. so is there some other value to salvaging a legenary? other than the guaranteed brimstone? because people are selling those things for like 25k.

There's a higher chance from legendaries though, right?
100% chance from level 59-60 legendaries. <1% chance from inferno level 60 blues/yellows.

at least, that's what I've just read.

Shouta

Woo, finally got the cash and picked up my 1100 DPS fist weapon for my Monk. 3.8 mil is a lot of cash, seriously. It unfortunately doesn't have Life Per Spirit Spent or Life on Hit so I'm going to have to readjust my gear for it.

I think it's truncating a .5. You'd think since they had to make that property specifically for that set bonus it would display right.

Well they still have to roll for the actual amount I think. They could have screwed up and made the range like 0-2 and I just got the low end of the roll.

Its anyone's guess though, but it's still hilarious.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just got hacked while I was playing. Reauthenticated and changed password but I wasn't fast enough.

eQzaW.jpg

Fuck this shit. Inexcusable.

LordCanti

Just got hacked while I was playing. Reauthenticated and changed password but I wasn't fast enough.

eQzaW.jpg

Fuck this shit. Inexcusable.

Reauthenticated? You had an authenticator on when you got hacked? Or do you mean that you had taken it off, and just put it back on after the hack?

Either way, I feel your pain.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Reauthenticated? You had an authenticator on when you got hacked? Or do you mean that you had taken it off, and just put it back on after the hack?

Either way, I feel your pain.
I had it on, though I had just attached it to my account about an hour earlier. If I was a paranoid kind of guy I'd feel like it somehow invited the hack.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The craziest shit was feeling like I was fucking wrestling with the hacker.

"You have been logged off because your account has logged on from another computer."
*log back on, 10 seconds later*
"You have been logged off because your account has logged on from another computer."
*can't log in... change password, log back on, 30 seconds later*
*reauthenticate, change password again, log back on... all items gone*

I can just see the smug fuck going "oh no you don't."

LordCanti

Well, the authenticator will only trigger (unless it's set to every time) when the IP changes. If he was logged into your character on his IP, and then the authenticator got put on, it's reasonable to assume that it just saw his IP as the IP it didn't need to re-authenticate, and let him in.

How did you know a hack was underway? Did you get logged out?

Edit: Aah, I see. Sucks. Just out of curiosity, what kind of authenticator? Were you using Winauth, or one of the approved methods?

Edit 2: Annd I'm now set to "authenticate every time".

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, the authenticator will only trigger (unless it's set to every time) when the IP changes. If he was logged into your character on his IP, and then the authenticator got put on, it's reasonable to assume that it just saw his IP as the IP it didn't need to re-authenticate, and let him in.

How did you know a hack was underway? Did you get logged out?
See above, and yep, I assume that's exactly the scenario that unfolded. My naked character hasn't been logged out since I reauthenticated. :p

SolidPain

Neo Member
So, I'm just starting Act 1 on Hell with my level 51 Monk. I've got just over 15k HP, 2.2k Armor and 2k damage. Big image in quotes:

I play co-op with a Barbarian friend, and we've not really had any trouble so far, but I'd like to know what experienced Monk's think I should be going for in my equipment/stats/passives/skills etc? Should I continue going for DEX/VIT gear or start looking for other stats before that? What about weapons, should I go for Attack Speed, Crit %, or even swap my dual wield for 1H/Shield or 2H?

I have Monk level 49 and just went to to the AH and searched for items that can boost my DEX/VIT. I got some really nice gears for relatively cheap price. I have 30k HP and about 3k DPS. I had some gold on me because I sold a rare item for 100000 :D. Btw I am using 2 weapons at the moment, and I am doing well. Maybe I will need an armor later.

Shouta

Oof, I need to raise my dex again. Swapping to Life on Hit costed me 110ish DEX and that came out to like 4k DPS from my damage. Gonna have to work on gear again to raise dex and resists to the levels I want while keeping the 24k base DPS that I had before putting LoH on.

Darkone

I don't have an authenticator and thinking of getting one today, is it still worth it??

i see that people are getting hacked with it as well.

LordAlu

I don't have an authenticator and thinking of getting one today, is it still worth it??

Get one, as it adds that little extra security. If you have an iPhone or Android phone you can use a mobile authenticator for free rather than having to buy one.

LordCanti

People with long standing authenticators are not getting hacked. In the case above, his account was likely compromised before the authenticator. The IP address of whomever was in his account was already on his account as having sucessfully logged in, which means that the authenticator may not have seen it as a new IP and required authentication.

If you want the best possible security for your account, get an authenticator. Put it on "authenticate on every log-in" mode for a little while to be doubly secure. Not having one is essentially asking to get ripped off.

Everything is fine here, there is no problem with security on Diablo 3. Everybody should just go use the security measures most banks don't even require and everything will be ok.

I'd call authenticators essential at this point. We've had a ton of people get hacked without them, and absolutely none that had one for any length of time.

I completely understand how absurd it is though. If there's some hole at Blizzard, none of our accounts are safe, but this is the best we can do.

maharg

idspispopd
The craziest shit was feeling like I was fucking wrestling with the hacker.

*log back on, 10 seconds later*
*can't log in... change password, log back on, 30 seconds later*
*reauthenticate, change password again, log back on... all items gone*

I can just see the smug fuck going "oh no you don't."

images

Everything is fine here, there is no problem with security on Diablo 3. Everybody should just go use the security measures most banks don't even require and everything will be ok.

Zzoram

People with long standing authenticators are not getting hacked. In the case above, his account was likely compromised before the authenticator. The IP address of whomever was in his account was already on his account as having sucessfully logged in, which means that the authenticator may not have seen it as a new IP and required authentication.

If you want the best possible security for your account, get an authenticator. Put it on "authenticate on every log-in" mode for a little while to be doubly secure. Not having one is essentially asking to get ripped off.

I'd call authenticators essential at this point. We've had a ton of people get hacked without them, and absolutely none that had one for any length of time.

I completely understand how absurd it is though.

That makes sense.

Sorry but that's getting paranoid.

Authenticate everytime would only help if hacker is already logged in your account.

LordCanti

Sorry but that's getting paranoid.

Authenticate everytime would only help if hacker is already logged in your account.

Which happened to Hawkian.... =/

Blizzard seriously needs to comb through the logs of his account and figure out exactly what went wrong, and how they can avoid it in the future.

joesmokey

Actually sold something for 175K today, feels good getting something worthwhile for a change.

Back to The Butcher farming runs tomorrow...

Which happened to Hawkian.... =/

Blizzard seriously needs to comb through the logs of his account and figure out exactly what went wrong, and how they can avoid it in the future.

Easy. He did not have an authenticator. Got hacked by the usual means. Added an authenticator after that had happened. Alas it didn't help.

Belgorim

I'm having a hard time with Belial on Inferno with my barbarian. I cant seem to tank his damage very well, how are people handling it, just by evading his attacks?

I'm going solo since none of my friends have finished act1.

Maximus.

Just hit level 59. Worried about 60 because of the prices of items in the AH for level 60 gear. Will need to do some heavy farming with my friends in hope to find some good gear.

Kyuur

On the whole hacking issue, have any security exploits been published yet? Most of the time something would have been published by hackers already. In my mind what is probably happening is that these people have giant lists of usernames/passwords from other hacked websites (we've all heard of different ones from the past) and checking each one to see if there's a match in D3. Do people getting hacked here use the same password for their bNET account as they do elsewhere? I know my friend did, and he got hacked. I use a different password for almost everything and I haven't been compromised even though me and my friend have been in all the same games together.

I don't see why an authenticator is really needed. If there is a security exploit in bNET it wouldn't matter that much. Check your computer for keyloggers, change your password to something new and complex, and change other passwords connected to bNET (emails, etc).

On the whole hacking issue, have any security exploits been published yet? Most of the time something would have been published by hackers already. In my mind what is probably happening is that these people have giant lists of usernames/passwords from other hacked websites (we've all heard of different ones from the past) and checking each one to see if there's a match in D3. Do people getting hacked here use the same password for their bNET account as they do elsewhere? I know my friend did, and he got hacked. I use a different password for almost everything and I haven't been compromised even though me and my friend have been in all the same games together.

I don't see why an authenticator is really needed. If there is a security exploit in bNET it wouldn't matter that much. Check your computer for keyloggers, change your password to something new and complex, and change other passwords connected to bNET (emails, etc).

Nope. People are being lazy as usual. Using the same passwords as they do on other less secure sites. Or they get infected with keyloggers. And yes the same people who try to get WoW accounts probably held onto those passwords for a while before D3s release.

Good unique password and decent security - low (pretty much zero) chance of getting hacked
Using an authenticator - zero chance (afaik) of getting hacked
Joining public games - doesn't have anything to do with it

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Anyone have any Monk tips on inferno? Skeleton King like 2 shots me. I upgraded a few pieces of gear but I don't see it make that huge of a difference.

I'm having a hard time with Belial on Inferno with my barbarian. I cant seem to tank his damage very well, how are people handling it, just by evading his attacks?

I'm going solo since none of my friends have finished act1.
Please tell me, how did you even get there? Does your barb take no damage from those insane mobs?

Thrakier

Barb with Berserk + Earthquake (with the rune so it takes no rage) + frenzy with stun rune + enough health is a elite killing machine. It's kinda funny how fast you can hack down those lifebars. Though this strategy has many other flaws for sure.

Dynoro

I suspect most of the login information is coming from dodgy ads or hacks into Diablo fansites. Most people use the same email and password for multiple things (no matter how many times they are told not to) and with 6m+ accounts there's going to be a lot of hits. They might even be logging IP addresses from people accessing these kind of sites to get around people not using the authenticator everytime.

Set a unique password and use an authenticator for every access attempt - no reason not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom