• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

maharg

idspispopd
Nope. People are being lazy as usual. Using the same passwords as they do on other less secure sites. Or they get infected with keyloggers. And yes the same people who try to get WoW accounts probably held onto those passwords for a while before D3s release.

Good unique password and decent security - low (pretty much zero) chance of getting hacked
Using an authenticator - zero chance (afaik) of getting hacked
Joining public games - doesn't have anything to do with it

It's worth noting that a password that is 'good and unique' on any other service could easily be terrible on battlenet. Out of the 95 ASCII printable characters, case insensitivity eliminates 26 of them (and realistically people only use about 10 of the non-letter, non-number printable characters in passwords). That reduces the number of permutations a password can be by several orders of magnitude, depending on password length (longer is worse).

What are generally the best items for HC-characters? What should I try to get before going to Hell? At the moment I have a lot of VIT gear on. Playing a Wizard so I'm using Frost Nova, Diamond Armor, Shock Wave, Blizzard and Hydra. Those has been working for now, but I think I have to start using Force Armor at some point.

Lvl 42 with about 14k HP.

HC_char.jpg

Number45

I await the $9.99 Auction House app for iPhone/iPad/Android.
It'll be free with a monthly sub, same as WoW.

Right now the prospect of a real money version is downright scary. Not only do I not trust them enough to use it, it'll also split the market so all the good items only turn up on it.
Part of me will be quite happy when you have to pay real money for the best items, it'll even out the progression hopefully.

Fallen Maniacs are stupid.

Fallen Maniacs I can't see because of the level layout are really stupid

Fallen Maniacs in the middle of a rare pack that I can't see because of the level lay out? Fuck my life. -.-;
The only time so far I've played the game and literally felt there was nothing I could do to survive (not even run away). I'd not encountered them before, two came running around the corner and BOOM!

Yeah 2 years, almost 3? after release they MAY get shit right.
Patiently waiting for that PS3 version.

Edit 2: Annd I'm now set to "authenticate every time".
Yeah, I changed this a little while back. It's no hassle (as I always have my phone with me) for some peace of mind.

What do these Hackers actually do with the gear and gold? do they drop the stuff somewhere and pick it up by there own char.?
Pretty much, then they sell it for real money. :(

LordCanti

What do these Hackers actually do with the gear and gold? do they drop the stuff somewhere and pick it up by there own char.?

They trade it to their own chars in-game, mostly, I'd imagine.

Then they sell it. If no one bought gold/items/etc for real money, no one would get hacked.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
G'morning D3GAF! Anything new?

Jubbly

If you get hacked look on the 'recent players' list and report the most recent person. More than likely they were the recipient.

G'morning D3GAF! Anything new?

Just the usual lack of EU love from Blizzard: no patch notes in launcher, no post on the EU forums, etc.

It's worth noting that a password that is 'good and unique' on any other service could easily be terrible on battlenet. Out of the 95 ASCII printable characters, case insensitivity eliminates 26 of them (and realistically people only use about 10 of the non-letter, non-number printable characters in passwords). That reduces the number of permutations a password can be by several orders of magnitude, depending on password length (longer is worse).

Agreed. Still baffles me why they havent fixed that.

If you get hacked look on the 'recent players' list and report the most reason person. More than likely they were the recipient.

Just the usual lack of EU love from Blizzard: no patch notes in launcher, no post on the EU forums, etc.

Most reasonable person on my players list is my best friend. I will make him pay.

jersoc

On the whole hacking issue, have any security exploits been published yet? Most of the time something would have been published by hackers already. In my mind what is probably happening is that these people have giant lists of usernames/passwords from other hacked websites (we've all heard of different ones from the past) and checking each one to see if there's a match in D3. Do people getting hacked here use the same password for their bNET account as they do elsewhere? I know my friend did, and he got hacked. I use a different password for almost everything and I haven't been compromised even though me and my friend have been in all the same games together.

I don't see why an authenticator is really needed. If there is a security exploit in bNET it wouldn't matter that much. Check your computer for keyloggers, change your password to something new and complex, and change other passwords connected to bNET (emails, etc).

it's pretty obvious that whoever has this list has had them for years just waiting for diablo 3 and wow expansion to hit when the picking is prime.

i'm willingly to bet lots of people are using the same password as well from whatever they got phished from. no one wants to think it's their fault the got hacked, but that's usually the case. 2 step your gmail, get an auth and use random ass characters with at least a 12 char password. while blizzard is dumb for no caps sensitive password you can use shift modifiers on the number keys for a little extra padding.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Excellent!
You're the one human being not doing the ridiculous boss run EXP sploit to 60. I salute you.
<--- all my 60s and no exploit. Just pure questing.

Well they still have to roll for the actual amount I think. They could have screwed up and made the range like 0-2 and I just got the low end of the roll.

Its anyone's guess though, but it's still hilarious.

Nah they won't roll for set bonuses, otherwise how would they decide on the value when multiple pieces come together. Apparently the actual stat is 0.42.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
17k dps good for act 1 inferno?
30k hp
Witch Doc

I've gone from

Barb, 45k hp and 75k dps selfbuffed with an avg resistance of 30~ and being one-two shotted act I inferno to 35k hp and 7500 dps, with an avg resistance of 500 and now I can stand toe to toe with rare mobs for many minutes while I whittle away at their health.

Yoshichan

WD needs resistance?

Yoshichan

Cool servers are done.... so unbelievably annoying.
Yeah they've been going sloooooooowly. What happened to the maintenance?

Boken

Banned
Just hit level 59. Worried about 60 because of the prices of items in the AH for level 60 gear. Will need to do some heavy farming with my friends in hope to find some good gear.

Entry level inferno gear is extremely cheap now. You can easily get gear that allows you to farm Act1

Thrakier

So, some things that really frustrate me:

- it's insane fucking above inferno difficulty to find good high level loot. 99,999% of my drops are pure shit. I don't remember D2 and D1 were that bad, loot should obviously be the FUN aspect of the game, not the shitty aspect.

- pricing of the AH is totall fucked up. At least make SUGGESTIONS how much my item is worth. I don't want to invest 10 minutes (for 6 items that would already be an hour!!) to find out how much I can take for it. And then don't sell it anway! because the AH is overflowing with mediorce items!!!

=> I'm thinking Blizz did this with the RMAH in mind. Almost no drops => higher worth of really good items => people will pay with real money for it => Blizzard chashes in

I HATE how Blizzard potentially betrayed all those fans of the Diablo universe to make it some "free2play" game (sure this is hyperbole, but that's kinda how it feels at high level).

- fighting elite mobs is NOT FUN. They are sometimes way too hard and more annyoing. The game mechanics per se are ok but Blizzards abusing them to artificial set the difficulty higher.

- shitty graphics and stutteirng anyway, though Dark D3 does wonders to thighten up that blurry mess which is the vanilla D3 game. Without it I'd probably stopped playing already.

Don't get me wrong, there is much too like about this game as well and I definitly got my time of it. But now at level 58 it's only frustrating because of the fucked up loot aspect.

I'd hope for a patch which:

- adresses drop rates (won't happen because Blizz wants to cash in)
- better elite balancing, make the game fun to play
- enhance the graphics, get rid of the shitty blur vision, IM NOT DRUNKEN HEARD ME!!!

And a NICE expansion on par with LoD...otherwise I can't see me playing this game much longer. If the loot aspect isn't motivating, all is left is a repetitive Hackn Slay with shitty graphics. They already took away the chance to build different characters. Maybe Ill try hardcore...

Yoshichan

I feel like there should be a Diablo IIII trading thread for in-game equips and items. Anybody else?
Fuck yes.

Yoshichan

Got me some new sexy legs :3

fyoUx.jpg

Darkone

People with long standing authenticators are not getting hacked. In the case above, his account was likely compromised before the authenticator. The IP address of whomever was in his account was already on his account as having sucessfully logged in, which means that the authenticator may not have seen it as a new IP and required authentication.

If you want the best possible security for your account, get an authenticator. Put it on "authenticate on every log-in" mode for a little while to be doubly secure. Not having one is essentially asking to get ripped off.

I'd call authenticators essential at this point. We've had a ton of people get hacked without them, and absolutely none that had one for any length of time.

I completely understand how absurd it is though. If there's some hole at Blizzard, none of our accounts are safe, but this is the best we can do.

Thanks for the info, i will get one today top tomorrow.

LordCanti

I just killed an entire champ mob, and then one of the minions revived and smacked my shit. Now it's invulnerable (no attacks work).

Fun times :p

V_Arnold

At 1/3rd of Act2 inferno, and I have to say, this game has the BEST groundwork/framework/basic game system layout in this genre. EVER. Ever ever.

Some people say that there is very little variety in the current affix pool, but I have to disagree here. In the 100+ hours I have spent with Diablo III, I have run into "hm, how could I change my gear to support this build" glorious "problem" more than I had in past arpgs/rpgs before - granted, I was not the dude who was on the top of the cookie cutter builds in D2, but those were different times.

All Blizzard needs to do at this point is to keep expanding, and definitely do not rush big changes because of a loud 0,0x percent of users on forums. That is my preferred way of doing it, but we shall see. For example, once they add interesting gems into the game...things will change. Drastically.

la_briola

Since I have used all my 10 AH slots, I'm asking here.

Any Monks want to buy this:
pOPTh.jpg

Only serious offers please.

edit: EU servers.

edit2: and with those pants, I have those:
115fg.jpg

Zertez

You're the one human being not doing the ridiculous boss run EXP sploit to 60. I salute you.
You have to run bosses for exp or redo acts now to reach 60. Due to the nerfs, you will be under leveled and have to go back to get exp. The last few times finishing nightmare, I was level 48 and 49. Hell is locked to 50, so you have no choice. They planned things out pretty well, if you did close to full clears, you wouldnt get locked out of progessing. They didnt adjust exp of normal mobs scattered through the acts when they nerfed boss exp. Now you fall short of progressing to the next difficulty level, if you play the game without farming or running bosses.

Cipherr

Been running a different build in Inferno runs lately. Hungering Arrow, Elemental Arrow(Nether Tent), Shadowpower(Gloom), Smoke Screen(Lingering), Preparation(Backup Plan), Caltrops.

Man its working very well so far. The two defensive skills are really great, and Gloom does its job very well if you have decent resists in Act 2. That same build destroys Act 1 since nothing in Act 1 really hits all that hard.

You have to run bosses for exp or redo acts now to reach 60. Due to the nerfs, you will be under leveled and have to go back to get exp. The last few times finishing nightmare, I was level 48 and 49. Hell is locked to 50, so you have no choice. They planned things out pretty well, if you did close to full clears, you wouldnt get locked out of progessing. They didnt adjust exp of normal mobs scattered through the acts when they nerfed boss exp. Now you fall short of progressing to the next difficulty level, if you play the game without farming or running bosses.

I think he was talking about the glitch with specific bosses such as zoltun kulle that people have been abusing to level at an absurd rate. It's all over sites like d2jsp with people buying runs at 6k gold and stuff like that.

Pretty much similar to stuff like chaos runs and glitched uber tristram leveling in d2.

Jrmint

So I'm getting rocked by elites pretty badly at Level 56 in Hell. I have about 13k damage as a Demon Hunter, while using Sharpshooter.

Is that a good amount, or does it seem a little low? I am in Act 2.

Jubbly

What is dark D3?

Messing with the brightness?

Yes.

http://darkd3.com/

More important thing is the sharpness filter though to get rid of the abysmal blurry image the standard FXAA produces. Once you get used to it, it's impossible to go back to vanilla D3. I don't know what Blizz was thinking.

Darkd3 makes ui elements look weird

Not when you use POST sharpen instead of PRE sharpen. With POST sharpen it's the best possible D3 experience.

Alternatively, disable in-game AA and enable NVIDIA MSAA, removing the blur and the jaggies:

ScAhF.png

8xQ is the best possible setting in my experience (CSAA eliminates some lighting effects, Supersampling glitches out), but if you need to save performance just dial down the factor.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alternatively, disable in-game AA and enable NVIDIA MSAA, removing the blur and the jaggies:

8xQ is the best possible setting in my experience (CSAA eliminates some lighting effects, Supersampling glitches out), but if you need to save performance just dial down the factor.

I'd do this or something similar with AMD.

I don't trust downloading random shit.

FtHTiny

- fighting elite mobs is NOT FUN. They are sometimes way too hard and more annyoing. The game mechanics per se are ok but Blizzards abusing them to artificial set the difficulty higher.

I hear this all the time, why don´t you just let the pack alive and move on with it. Not every pack is hard or not fun.
Pull it in a corner and let it be. When you get better gear you can do every combination easily but if you know something is to hard (Soul eater, fast, vortex, fire chain, horde for example) pull it away and don´t get mad at it.

Jubbly

I'd do this or something similar with AMD.

I don't trust downloading random shit.

If you mean Dark3D, it's perfectly safe as it's just an FXAA Injector that adds a post-process effect across the entire screen without any interaction with the Diablo 3 .exe. Both it and NVIDIA Inspector are trustworthy, safe apps, and if you want you don't even have to use Inspector for the AA as it can be done through the official NVIDIA Control Panel.

Waikis

Ever since the latest patch i keep getting dc-ed every 2 minutes and got the error 3007 message. BLIZZZZZAAAARRRDDDDDDDDDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom