• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricker

I can only imagine how many HC death occur at the start of Act III,once you step outside for the first part of the quest...especially if you start a game from there with the initial spike lag the first time you attack or use a spell...my god,died 3 times there just on Normal mode lol...

Jubbly

That damage jump from Hell to inferno is deliciously hilarious.

Deals 4.6k damage in Hell, deals 57k damage in Inferno. Wowza

Also the health. Max is 430,000 in Hell, 3.1 million in Inferno, and with 4 players you multiply that number by 475%.

Well the succubus attack is so slow it shouldn´t even hit you most of a time.
But with inferno gear armor and resist this hits gets down to 4-5k at most.

That was the only example available, but I imagine that kind of crazy increase applies across the board.

Prezhulio

hmmm are they waiting till the pvp patch to make gems 2 instead of 3 for upgrade? i thought i had read it was going to be this patch, but if it's that far off i might start socketing stuff...

Jubbly

hmmm are they waiting till the pvp patch to make gems 2 instead of 3 for upgrade? i thought i had read it was going to be this patch, but if it's that far off i might start socketing stuff...

That should be in the next patch, due out sometime this June. With Commodities disabled on the AH everyone is stockpiling.

Max

I am not Max
What's the go-to build resource site right now? My barb is getting mighty boring with what I have set up, but it feels like its the only way for me to have the maximum staying power as I farm

To be fair they kinda train the new player into believing they are a wrecking machine that should be able to kill everything in their path.

If the fear of elite mobs was instilled in normal this wouldn't be an issue.

I'm not saying it's a big deal as is, it's just that I'm not surprised people don't consider just avoiding some enemies.

I'm playing this for the first time and i'm feeling like a wrecking machine at the moment. Kinda dreading when that honeymoon is over..

idlewild_

That was the only example available, but I imagine that kind of crazy increase applies across the board.

The numbers can be a little out there: Mortar hits for 120k+ in Act 3 before mitigation. Frozen is 90k in Act 4. etc. etc. If the damage is avoidable, it's most likely going to hit like a truck in inferno.

scy

It's a rather slow moving projectile so it's pretty hard to get hit by it. Well, until the shit hits the fan and you have slow moving bullet hell and teleporting phasebeasts everywhere.

idlewild_

The reduced upgrade mats is only up to flawless square, which drops like candy in inferno. It would be cheaper for you to buy them off the AH than to craft them yourself.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, I started playing on Inferno last night with my DH and it wasn't going to hot, so I decided to splurge on the AH for some resistance.

I'm still debating on the weapon combination I want to go with- dual crossbows, crossbow+shield, crossbow+quiver. They each have their advantages, though I've heard that a shield is pretty necessary in later acts of Inferno?

Right now I've got 19% increased movement speed, 30% IAS (not including dual wield or offhand), and 200+% Gold Find. I'd been going through the entire game with Gold Find, but now that I'm level 60 in Inferno, should I be going for Magic Find instead? I did just buy all new gear, but now I'm second guessing myself. :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Figures, have time to play and boom error 37.

The horrible server situation, people getting hacked even with an authenthicator... fuck you blizzard, fuck you.
I was pretty forgiving up to this point... we'll see how/if they address my ticket now. While I wish I had been using an authenticator from day one, this was just such a shitty experience, basically watching my account wrestled out of my hands.

Someone just posted on this thread about getting hacked with an authenticator...
But not really.
I had an authenticator attached to my account when it happened, however it's likely that it didn't have an impact/was not a factor in the hack.
1) I attached it to my account about an hour before the hack occurred, while my game was open and logged in
2) I had not selected "authenticate every time" so when I was first logged out and logged back in (kicking off the hacker) it didn't ask for a code
3) I was logged out three times; upon the third I reauthenticated, switched "every time" on, and changed my password a second time and logged back in, and this time I was able to stay logged in (of course, my character had been stripped bare by this point, so who knows, but I like to at least pretend I'm secure now)
Read his post carefully, he attached the thing while they were logged in his account
Seems most likely I guess, though I was able to play interrupted for like 45 minutes before the madness started. I wonder if they were watching me waiting for my inventory to fill up or something... *shudder*
and then the you must have had a keylogger line.
Yeah I don't know what the fuck that is supposed to be about.

Narag

So, I started playing on Inferno last night with my DH and it wasn't going to hot, so I decided to splurge on the AH for some resistance.

I'm still debating on the weapon combination I want to go with- dual crossbows, crossbow+shield, crossbow+quiver. They each have their advantages, though I've heard that a shield is pretty necessary in later acts of Inferno?

Right now I've got 19% increased movement speed, 30% IAS (not including dual wield or offhand), and 200+% Gold Find. I'd been going through the entire game with Gold Find, but now that I'm level 60 in Inferno, should I be going for Magic Find instead? I did just buy all new gear, but now I'm second guessing myself. :(

Shield is more important for melee classes as far as I can see. DH explode when the wind shifts directions sadly.

Jubbly

It's a rather slow moving projectile so it's pretty hard to get hit by it. Well, until the shit hits the fan and you have slow moving bullet hell and teleporting phasebeasts everywhere.

Yea, it gets a bit mad and sometimes you can't avoid them. Also, that Brady guide is going to be obsolete once the Inferno rework is implemented. Wonder if they'll update the digital version for all the buyers?

Are commodities disabled on NA server only ? Because i bought 1 or 2 few days ago

Gems are disabled on my EU account and I believe the same applies in NA.

Mr_eX

I'm a 53 Demon Hunter, should I continue buying gear in the AH or should I save my gold for level 60 gear? My damage is around 6800 but when I put on the sharpshooter rune it climbs up to 11k but as its constantly fluctuating I assume that's not an accurate DPS. How much does the sharpshooter rune really effect your damage?

Also when I hit 60 what attributes should I try to look for on my gear to play Inferno? So far I've been looking for gear with high dex and vitality but I feel like I should have been looking for crit damage instead of vitality.

TheExodu5

Banned
So who is going to create a gaf trading thread i would totally come here first before i go anywhere else.

I see no need for it. This thread will move to the Community sub-forum soon enough and traffic will die down. I'd just make this the defacto trading thread.

On a related note, I can't wait to get home and trade! The Auction House is pretty much my favorite part of the game at the moment. I love sniping nice deals and selling off my rare loot. Made over 1 mil gold with just random hell loot last night. With so many people using the AH, I l just love how fast loot sells.

lordy88

I'm a 53 Demon Hunter, should I continue buying gear in the AH or should I save my gold for level 60 gear? My damage is around 6800 but when I put on the sharpshooter rune it climbs up to 11k but as its constantly fluctuating I assume that's not an accurate DPS. How much does the sharpshooter rune really effect your damage?

Sharpshooter adds 3% chance to crit every second after your last crit (plus one second to reset). So if you stand around a while, you will get 100% crit, and your DPS will believe that you will do so on every shot. This is why your DPS is constantly changing shortly after a battle.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I had an authenticator attached to my account when it happened, however it's likely that it didn't have an impact/was not a factor in the hack.

1) I attached it to my account about an hour before the hack occurred, while my game was open and logged in
2) I had not selected "authenticate every time" so when I was first logged out and logged back in (kicking off the hacker) it didn't ask for a code
3) I was logged out three times; upon the third I reauthenticated, switched "every time" on, and changed my password a second time and logged back in, and this time I was able to stay logged in (of course, my character had been stripped bare by this point, so who knows, but I like to at least pretend I'm secure now)

If you log in from a different location you have to authenticate, regardless of how long it has been since you last authenticated.

scy

How much does the sharpshooter rune really effect your damage?

Sharpshooter is mostly useful for that opening burst guaranteed crit; it lets you not worry about Crit Chance% itemization for the time being and rely on that. It's really nice in Inferno when you can kite for a few seconds to get some extra Crit.

As for what it's doing to your damage, the display is basically just:
[Weapon DPS] * [Crit Modifier] * [Stat Modifier] * [Other Modifiers]

With Crit Modifier merely being:
[1 + CritChance% * CritDamage%]

So it's adding 3% * CritDamage% to your Damage, essentially. It's grossly misleading, though I need to check what DH skills use DPS (e.g., listed Damage) instead of Weapon Damage (e.g., the actual damage range on the weapon) when factoring their damage. I'm going to guess not many of their skills work this way just because that'd be ridiculous but ... well, who knows.

I see no need for it. This thread will move to the Community sub-forum soon enough and traffic will die down. I'd just make this the defacto trading thread.

On a related note, I can't wait to get home and trade! The Auction House is pretty much my favorite part of the game at the moment. I love sniping nice deals and selling off my rare loot. Made over 1 mil gold with just random hell loot last night. With so many people using the AH, I l just love how fast loot sells.

so i have full reign over my computer at work
I installed D3 on my work imac, just to fuck around on the auction house when the work slows down... what am i doing

scy

damn, how many runs till people got the mushrooms? I'm pushin 6 now...

I did ~4 Skeleton King runs on Inferno where I just added the first floor to the run for it. I did make sure to check the area, though, on my characters just running the area for the story so it's probably closer to 10+.

The Gem (Act 3) took like 20 runs but I had a friend just clearing the cave with me for EXP (dat +19% EXP/kill and +200-ish EXP/kill) so it wasn't that bad.

My beta character got the shroom on the first run and so did my HC character. :/

TheExodu5

Banned
so i have full reign over my computer at work
I installed D3 on my work imac, just to fuck around on the auction house when the work slows down... what am i doing

I should probably set up remote desktop so I can ah while at home. Or not...my productivity would go down the drain. I'm still stoked I got this for 155K yesterday:

slicedeluge.png

Unfortunately, I'm using it at the moment, so I can't really profit much off it. Fortunately, I use Haunt in my build, and am mana regen dependent, so it's probably worth keeping for a while.

Anyways, I'm thinking of trading my IGG for FG at the moment, and just trade back in a few weeks when the value of gold has dropped.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Shield is more important for melee classes as far as I can see. DH explode when the wind shifts directions sadly.

So, I should ditch the shield then? I might get more survivability dual wielding +Discipline Crossbows for an extra SS.

damn, how many runs till people got the mushrooms? I'm pushin 6 now...

I got the mushroom on my first playthrough of the Starter Edition. The Liquid Rainbow took me a long time, though.

So this wording of attack speeds breaking the IAS is a real thing? I just bought 2 rings yesterday (cheap blues) that may have the wrong wording. Has Blizzard made any comments regarding fixing the issue?

scy

Anyone else catch yourself changing a skill while at 5 stacks of NV and then going "no...No...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"?

Surprisingly, not yet. I guess I just accept not changing my skills ever once I leave town.

What's Naphalem Valor? I see it thrown around a lot, but IDK what it is.

When you kill any Rare or Champion pack at Level 60, you get the Nephalem Valor buff. It stacks to 5 times and each one is +15% Magic Find, +15% Gold Find. It also makes bosses drop more loot (e.g., I can kill Azmodan with a 5 stack and get ~10 items).

Did anyone play any Public games on their first run through? I did and kind of skipped through everything. Is it worth carefully crawling through on your first time?

Torraz

Anyone else catch yourself changing a skill while at 5 stacks of NV and then going "no...No...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"?

Lost a 5 stack while being bored and clicking a skill (instead of pressing the keybind) and accidentally half-way dragging the skill of the bar... Need a skillbar lock...

What's Naphalem Valor? I see it thrown around a lot, but IDK what it is.

Buff you get at 60. Stacks 5 times. Each stack is worth 15 magic and gold find. It lasts 30 min. You get it by killing a yellow or blue monster pack. Killing purples does not refresh it. Killing yellows/blues does. It makes boss monsters drop like they did in normal (guaranteed 2-4 yellow and lots of blues) in addition oto the 75 magic/gold find.

TheExodu5

Banned
Did anyone play any Public games on their first run through? I did and kind of skipped through everything. Is it worth carefully crawling through on your first time?

Depends on the person. For me...definitely not. If you like playing through the game quickly, then there's no reason to carefully explore everthing (and in my opinion, not much point in doing so anyways).

zlatko

Banned
Surprisingly, not yet. I guess I just accept not changing my skills ever once I leave town.

When you kill any Rare or Champion pack at Level 60, you get the Nephalem Valor buff. It stacks to 5 times and each one is +15% Magic Find, +15% Gold Find. It also makes bosses drop more loot (e.g., I can kill Azmodan with a 5 stack and get ~10 items).

Cool. Interesting mechanic. Too bad it doesn't buff health/damage/resistances instead. xD

Lost a 5 stack while being bored and clicking a skill (instead of pressing the keybind) and accidentally half-way dragging the skill of the bar... Need a skillbar lock...
Paradoxically, I believe you can lock your skill bar by turning OFF elective mode once you have turned it on and put the skills where you want.

yacobod

Banned
do people actually click their skills in D3? is it hard to bind 6 keys, especially when you can bound most of them to your mouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom