• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I didn't. And I know people in this thread will bite my in the ass and say "I told you so" and stuff but I don't like using them as a form of security. My WoW account has been safe for like seven and a half years without one now. WoW also has one time authentication of new log in locations though, and I'm not exactly sure why this isn't something carried over to D3.

I hate using authenticators too, for what it's worth.

Just interested :

had you played any public games?
what level (Nightmare, Hell, Inferno) were the toons in your account at?

I didn't. And I know people in this thread will bite my in the ass and say "I told you so" and stuff but I don't like using them as a form of security. My WoW account has been safe for like seven and a half years without one now. WoW also has one time authentication of new log in locations though, and I'm not exactly sure why this isn't something carried over to D3.

I wasnt gonna give you shit either way, i never kick a man when he's down :p. but so far i havent heard firsthand of a case of it happening to someone with an authenticator so i was just curious.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It is, if you're referring to logging in with an authenticator.

Mobile alerts will let you know as well.
I'm talking about without an authenticator. Validation through e-mail is still required for WoW accounts if a new computer/IP tries to log in to your account even without an authenticator. That isn't in place for D3.
Just interested :

had you played any public games?
what level (Nightmare, Hell, Inferno) were the toons in your account at?
Yes pubs, Inferno Act I.

The public games have nothing to do with it, that was a rumor that Blizzard investigated and discounted. Unless they're lying, which I doubt.
I'm talking about without an authenticator. Validation through e-mail is still required for WoW accounts if a new computer/IP tries to log in to your account even without an authenticator. That isn't in place for D3.
Why wouldn't your email be compromised as well? If your computer is compromised, it's compromised.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
After all these reports of people having their accounts compromised not sure why people aren't using WinAuth at the very least.

Hewwb.png

Done with Hell and moved on to Inferno. Act 1 isn't bad at all but I definitely plan to have issues in Act 2.

Been farming and messing with the blacksmith and I find you can make some pretty damn good profits from selling mid 50's rare chest pieces on the AH. Only 10k to make (plus materials) and I've sold sets from 20-300k easy. Having blacksmithing at level 10 has paid off BIG time in my opinion.

dimb

Why wouldn't your email be compromised as well? If your computer is compromised, it's compromised.
Because it operates under a different password. My computer is not compromised, my Diablo 3 account is.

RDreamer

Wow, people really weren't kidding about Act 2 Inferno. Walk outside and die, pretty much. Crazy, since even though I didn't do the greatest with Act 1, it really wasn't that hard.

Now I'm kind of stuck and wondering what I should do. My equipment is pretty up to date and overall rather expensive. I even have quite a few pieces with high all-resist on 'em. My issue is that I don't know what to raise and what to lower, really. I feel like I can't just raise all of my stats; dex, vit, armor, resists, dps, etc without spending literally millions per pieces of equipment. And even doing that most equipment really isn't that much better than what I've got.

Dresden

Who says his email was compromised? Requiring email validation for different ip's isn't going to help if it was, but I don't think this was the case here. Hacking has become so widespread that it does sound like there's a problem on Blizzard's end, and getting an authenticator shouldn't be necessary to protect your account, provided you practice basic internet security.

Done with Hell and moved on to Inferno. Act 1 isn't bad at all but I definitely plan to have issues in Act 2..
You have no idea what's coming. Enjoy the ease of Act 1. Buy the best lube available for Act 2 to make it go in as smooth as possible.

My verdict:

Its a great game upto Nightmare.

After that it just becomes a caricature of itself. Hell and Inferno Elites aren't difficult - they are tacky and cheesy. Might as well make everything invincible and call it the most difficult game ever.

Honestly? Everything from Normal - Hell is actually easy. sometimes you run into the cheap elite combo that kills you in Hell...but it's fairly few and far between. I imagine Hell would be more difficult without the Auction House to buy decent items, though.

But Inferno? Inferno is bullshit after Act I. It's not just the elites that are cheap, but regular-ass packs of enemies. Inviso-trident guys 1-shot you, regardless of health it seems (50,000hp or 35,000 hp seems to make no difference. The leaping things in the Act 2 sewers can damn near 1-shot you. The swarms of sewer wasps 1-shot you (while being difficult to even see on screen). I've tried both configurations). Now that I think about it, I don't think there is anything that can't at least 2-shot you. I'm finding diamond skin to be all but worthless. It seems to barely absorb one hit, which is too little to take up a skill slot.

I played for an hour today in Act 2. Crossed the desert, finished
Maghda
, fought through Caldeum and got into the first sewer. My net gold gain for all of that time and work was 3,000g (three thousand fucking gold) thanks to the regular, constant repairs...and item drops have mostly been worth little. The prospect of having to deal with like 6 more major quests in Act 2 are completely uninteresting and frustrating to think about rather than a fun way to spend my time.

Act 2 is the one act out of all of them that I never liked in terms of aesthetics, enemies or missions. I know one thing now: Act 2 is the only Act that I will never play again. Not unless equipment is released that gives me 100k HP. Then maybe I can absorb 2 fucking hits from inviso-trident assholes.

These thoughts doesn't even include the added "challenge" of lag. Fuck.

Has anyone found any high level blacksmith or jeweler plans? Where do they drop? Any random enemy, or only specific bosses with 5 stacks of nephalem valor buff?

Ferrio

Banned
Wow, people really weren't kidding about Act 2 Inferno. Walk outside and die, pretty much. Crazy, since even though I didn't do the greatest with Act 1, it really wasn't that hard.

Now I'm kind of stuck and wondering what I should do. My equipment is pretty up to date and overall rather expensive. I even have quite a few pieces with high all-resist on 'em. My issue is that I don't know what to raise and what to lower, really. I feel like I can't just raise all of my stats; dex, vit, armor, resists, dps, etc without spending literally millions per pieces of equipment. And even doing that most equipment really isn't that much better than what I've got.

Go bargain hunting.

dimb

Has anyone found any high level blacksmith or jeweler plans? Where do they drop? Any random enemy, or only specific bosses with 5 stacks of nephalem valor buff?
I've found a couple in Inferno Act I. They're just on anything.

LordCanti

There is a fast, arcane enchanted, extra health, teleporting shield mob in front of the objective I need to touch.

Nope. Not today.

Loofy

I think blizzard should have kept with 3 levels of difficulty. In this case getting rid of 'normal.'
I wanna try out different classes but I dont wanna finish the game 3 times again to get to inferno.

Mrbob

With all the raging Inferno talk, once I finish Hell difficulty I'll just start a new character. I'm sure Blizzard will do some tweaking with Inferno over the next couple months.

Ketch

Trying to play through on Hardcore with a demon hunter. Doing well so far.

Lvl 20 with about 2100 hp, 70 dps.

entangling shot > shock collar
rapid fire > web shot
Shadow Shroud > speed boost
Preparation > +10 max discipline on use
Shadow Power > +4 hatred per sec
Comapnion > Spider for slow

Passives are, culling the weak (extra damage to slowed mobs) and whatever the one that gives you a free root every 10 seconds.

Anyone have tips on builds for max survivablity? It would be awesome to beat the game even on normal without dying once. If I can't do it on my DH, I'll try monk next.

scy

So what's the new XP trick now that Blizzard figured out Azmodan was broken?

I think the rest of the quests are still fine, bizarrely. So get to running Wortham or Kasim Outpost.

I think blizzard should have kept with 3 levels of difficulty. In this case getting rid of 'normal.'
I wanna try out different classes but I dont wanna finish the game 3 times again to get to inferno.

If you have friends available, they can beat the Act 4 Boss for you to get Nightmare access. You'll have to grind to 25 (then 50 for Hell and 60 for Inferno) but at least you don't have to do the actual Act 1 - Act 4 run.

Then again, that's also the good chunk of your EXP in those quest rewards so eh...

RDreamer

Go bargain hunting.

Oh I definitely have been. I've made most of my gold through flipping items on the AH.

But even then I guess I'm just not sure where to go. As I said, my equipment is pretty up to date and is worth quite a bit, I think. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to sacrifice in the name of some other stat. It's a game of something has to give, and I'm not sure what to give. For example, my rings and amulet right now all give great dex, vit, and attack speed. All of them. I can't find rings with those kind of stats and resist all. Even in the multi-millions it seems kind of hard to find them. So, do I give up my attack speed and drastically tank my dps and spirit regen, and in turn have troubles healing myself and keeping up that way, but in turn get resists. Or what?

Trying to play through on Hardcore with a demon hunter. Doing well so far.

Lvl 20 with about 2100 hp, 70 dps.

entangling shot > shock collar
rapid fire > web shot
Shadow Shroud > speed boost
Preparation > +10 max discipline on use
Shadow Power > +4 hatred per sec
Comapnion > Spider for slow

Passives are, culling the weak (extra damage to slowed mobs) and whatever the one that gives you a free root every 10 seconds.

Anyone have tips on builds for max survivablity? It would be awesome to beat the game even on normal without dying once. If I can't do it on my DH, I'll try monk next.

I wouldn't use Smoke Screen and Shadow Power at the same time. They're both high discipline cost. Caltrops with Torturous Ground is better utility.

Still dunno how anyone is going to not die on inferno as a DH. everything one shots that it's BS.

RDreamer

Even considering the resists and reduced melee damage?

Honestly I'd experiment with them. Once you get to inferno it seems you NEED resist all on pretty much every piece of equipment you have. That's lacking on one of those, but on the other hand that one does have more armor, more vit, and the reduced damage. Though I'm not sure if the reduced damage really reduces it by 4% in inferno. That's probably lowered or something.

I don't think anyone can complain about Barbs not being able to survive Inferno. Kungen is about to beat Hardcore Act 3 Inferno.

Yup. People forgot that any Diablo game on the highest difficulty is 100% gear dependent. You don't have the right gear? You die.

In D2 you'd grind 1000 hours for it, now you can just fuck around in AH.

AEGISX

Banned
Even considering the resists and reduced melee damage?
Yeah. The only good thing the 1st one offer is all resis. 4% melee is nothing. 2% crit chance is nothing.
121 vit is huge. Always go for most expensive one. If its not better, it wouldn't be more expensive

scy

Im not convinced. You dont think +17 all resist, 30 additional poison resist, and -4% from all melee is worth 2k hp?

It would largely depend on where the resists are already on how much +17 to all is. The same for Armor since it does have +127 Armor over it.

Yeah. The only good thing the 1st one offer is all resis. 4% melee is nothing. 2% crit chance is nothing.
121 vit is huge. Always go for most expensive one. If its not better, it wouldn't be more expensive

...uh...

Ferrio

Banned

You fail at the auction house game.

s7evn

Got to level 51 and beat NM with a buddy. ON TO HELL! Also I have too much gear and don't want to expand my chest for 100k in gold. :(

DSmalls84

Yup. People forgot that any Diablo game on the highest difficulty is 100% gear dependent. You don't have the right gear? You die.

In D2 you'd grind 1000 hours for it, now you can just fuck around in AH.

I think a Barb is going to be my next character. I know people say they are pretty bad off in Hell/Inf but it was pretty awesome smashing dudes with a Barb in the beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom