• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordy88

Just found this ring:

WOoRn.jpg

Since the AH is down, anyone have an idea for PC? Anyone want to buy it?

balddemon

Banned
damn. hell is going to wreck my shit. how do i know? because i died in the musty cellar that is not 2 minutes outside of new tristram

Alex

Yay, the auction house is back. Well, that's the first time I've ever had auction house withdrawals.

Its 48k, just looked. 800ish dps 1h rare with 62% critical hit damage bonus. Offhand with 68-206 damage bonus, gear with +crit% and crit bonus. Think I'm around 22% crit with ~220% bonus damage.
I may have to get back in to 1h weapons, then.

I've been using a 2h with 1007 dps (935-1316 damage) + 30% critical hit bonus. 136% critical damage.

Not using familiar anymore; it doesn't feel viable in Act 2. Need frost nova and teleport more. along with Hydras and Magic weapon, there's simply no room for it.

It's interesting. My total additional damage even with Sparkflint is just 31,000. Glass Cannon not selected. It's like 35k with glass cannon.

What actual damage is your weapon doing? If it's doing about the same in total as my weapon, then I'll assume all the difference is in the additional 90% critical damage you're doing, in which case, i'll be trying to piece together some more crit damage.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
So, is MF worth it?

I've been running 90% for most of Nightmare and I'm not sure it's worth not upgrading stuff because it doesn't have + MF on it :|

NO. See my post on the last page. I ran with over 100% magic find through inferno and nothing compares to the mere 75% buff you get at 60 from killing packs. Friends with 0% magic find on gear getting just as much as I was with 175%+, and we both had gotten only blues from major bosses before the 60 buff, yellows now after it. MF from gear is currently useless.

I may have to get back in to 1h weapons, then.

I've been using a 2h with 1007 dps (935-1316 damage) + 30% critical hit bonus. 136% critical damage.

Not using familiar anymore; it doesn't feel viable in Act 2. Need frost nova and teleport more. along with Hydras and Magic weapon, there's simply no room for it.

It's interesting. My total additional damage even with Sparkflint is just 31,000. Glass Cannon not selected. It's like 35k with glass cannon.

What actual damage is your weapon doing? If it's doing about the same in total as my weapon, then I'll assume all the difference is in the additional 90% critical damage you're doing, in which case, i'll be trying to piece together some more crit damage.

Yeah I'm going to drop familiar because I need another escape/defensive measure in Act II forward. I'll lose a few k dps but it's not that much. I also have glass cannon passive on, and yes, crit % and bonus damage are huge factors. Simply changing energy armor to pinpoint barrier (5% more crit chance) would take my damage from 48k to 51.5k. I have 22% crit chance from gear so I don't use that, but for example.

LordCanti

Ohhh Goddd. Just missed out on Tal Rasha's set armor for 700k. I hope it's not worth too much more than that.

It was like +50 all resist, +50 Lightning, 15% magic find, attack speed 13%, etc.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Um...so I logged in and all my gear is gone, my stash is empty and I have no gold. This some sort of weird glitch?

Welcome to Hackville. Population: You.

Seriously people. Put an authenticator on your account! It surprises me that there are still people without one.

Well I'm not interested in paying extra to not have my account hacked so I guess I won't be playing D3 for a while lol.

Will I need to be changing my password and such?

The iphone/android authenticator is 100% free.

Unicorn

I may have missed it in the previous thread but people said they were more likely to be victim to a hack if they had played in a public game. As in, somehow public games unveiled an exploit to make hacking others easier.

Is there any information about this for others to either avoid public games or detail what can be done to make it safer. Obviously the higher level is just to get the authenticator to protect it overall, but what specifically is public games providing to the problem? What is the exploit?

Ferrio

Banned

I warned you about authenticators bro.

I told you dog.

I think I was the first person in original OT to proclaim everyone should make sure they have one

I may have missed it in the previous thread but people said they were more likely to be victim to a hack if they had played in a public game. As in, somehow public games unveiled an exploit to make hacking others easier.

Is there any information about this for others to either avoid public games or detail what can be done to make it safer. Obviously the higher level is just to get the authenticator to protect it overall, but what specifically is public games providing to the problem? What is the exploit?

People are making shit up. THere has been nothing to confirm that's the case.

lordy88

heh, really low Dex and vit. Might be worth 10k if you are lucky.

Or maybe not with the socket.

Waaaaah? 15% IAS! With some dex/vit and a socket to make it your baby. I'm hoping 200k? Is that crazy?

15 attack speed rings were selling for millions last night...

Thanks for the tip! I was gonna check all rings with a socket and 15% ias on the AH when it came back up.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

There is no exploit.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

It's largely unsubstantiated rumor. Blizzard has officially said that there is no evidence that anyone hacked was using any new means. It's still keyloggers and the like.

Not everyone has a smartphone, not everyone wants to spend an additional 10€ just so they don't get hacked. This is bullshit imho.

It's bullshit that passwords are so easy to break? I agree, but that's not Blizzard's problem. They provide the solution, and people refuse to take it. What do you expect them to do?

Ferrio

Banned
Waaaaah? 15% IAS! With some dex/vit and a socket to make it your baby. I'm hoping 200k? Is that crazy?

Thanks for the tip! I was gonna check all rings with a socket and 15% ias on the AH when it came back up.

200k atleast. If the dex was say 100, you'd be able to go so much higher. But just check prices for 15 attack speed rings with sockets.

DTKT

That was related to session ID spoofing. But, according to Blizzard, this is not the case with the recent strings of hacking.

It's hard to say what the cause is. The sure thing is that no one with an authenticator was been hacked so far.

Get one!

Mrbob

Well I'm not interested in paying extra to not have my account hacked so I guess I won't be playing D3 for a while lol.

Will I need to be changing my password and such?

Do you have a mobile phone or ipod touch/ipad? I'm using the mobile authenticator app currently running off my ipad.

You'll probably want to change your password now, but all you need to do is link your account to the mobile authenticator app via battle.net website. Takes a couple minutes to do. Make sure you have your mobile device handy as you'll need to put the authenticator code in every time you want to play a Blizzard game. You can set it up for once a week checks, but I'd go for authorization every time to be safe.

Alex

Welcome to Hackville. Population: You.

Seriously people. Put an authenticator on your account! It surprises me that there are still people without one.

The iphone/android authenticator is 100% free.

There is a dial in one, too.

damn. hell is going to wreck my shit. how do i know? because i died in the musty cellar that is not 2 minutes outside of new tristram

Hell hits it's stride about midway into Act 2, IMO. It's then that the first, true blue "what the fuck?" moments start to occur in the game. It's hilarious.

smr00

Banned
Don't know where i add it but

Brandon#1690 is my tag (some people have had problems adding it, if you do just shoot me a PM for email)

Also i don't know if anyone is interested but if anyone needs a vent to use with friends or whatever you are more then welcome to hit up my vent and ill give you a channel so nobody will bother you.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Is the wizard a nice class for solo play? I'm looking for another character to level, for a little variation to my barbarian.

I tried demon hunter to level 17 or so, but man, I don't get any enjoyment out of that class when played solo. Incredibly boring.
And nobody is joining my game so i'm pretty much screwed.

thetrin

There is a dial in one, too.

Dial in doesn't work for Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 currently, so it's inadvisable.

How have Blizzard not made online accounts secure? I've not seen this happen regularly with any other games.

They have. It's called the authenticator. It's been around for years. No one with an authenticator gets hacked. Sounds pretty secure for me.

DTKT

How have Blizzard not made online accounts secure? I've not seen this happen regularly with any other games.

So far, it doesn't seem to be on their end. Keep in mind that Blizzard games are hugely popular. With such a large userbase, there is bound to be more reports of hacking.

Alex

Other online games aren't a commodity that dwarves credit card theft. There is nothing they can do to make it secure when theres a billion little exploits in Windows, flash, etc that winds up getting you infected and logged.

Wallach

Blizzard has come out and stated they've looked into it and not only couldn't find evidence of something like that, the rumor that people were spreading in particular was technically impossible. It's not going to matter.

People are getting compromised some other way. They also stated that in every case that they received, the people that compromised the account manually logged in, so these people have the user names and passwords. They also stated that nobody has come forward with a case where there was not a physical/phone app (not dial-in, D3 does not support this) authenticator on the account prior to the attack happening.

The reason you should take them at their word on this is because these attacks actually cost them a ton of money in CS and they are absolutely going to tell anyone and everyone how and when to prevent them if a real exploit is going on.

My guess is that a lot of people that are getting hacked are also WoW players, and they've been compromised for a while. The people collecting keylog data had every reason to sit on that information and wait until D3 was rolling, as there's going to be extremely high demand for this stuff (people were floating numbers like $30 for a million gold, which is going to be absolutely ludicrous a couple months from now).

I can't get any of my items from the completed auctions tab into my stash. I get an error code every time.

Hopefully that won't persist. I've got a lot of stuff in there...

Yeah, I get an error whenever I try to buy something and the search will send back a bunch of completed items and blank boxes.

thetrin

Seriously guys. If you can't be bothered to get an authenticator on your account, don't play a Blizzard game. Period. You are setting yourself up for tragedy. The authenticator exists to protect your account. They're trying to help you.

They did... authenticators.

But why the need for extra layers of security? My online banking doesn't require this. What are people doing that allow others on to their account?

So far, it doesn't seem to be on their end. Keep in mind that Blizzard games are hugely popular. With such a large userbase, there is bound to be more reports of hacking.

Other online games aren't a commodity that dwarves credit card theft. There is nothing they can do to make it secure when theres a billion little exploits in Windows, flash, etc that winds up getting you infected and logged.

I still don't understand how people can get on to secure accounts. Take any account I have anywhere - are you saying that there's easy ways for people to get on to those if they wanted?

mbmonk

Seriously guys. If you can't be bothered to get an authenticator on your account, don't play a Blizzard game. Period. You are setting yourself up for tragedy. The authenticator exists to protect your account. They're trying to help you.

Can you call Customer Service and get yo' stuffin' restored?

Rokam

Seriously guys. If you can't be bothered to get an authenticator on your account, don't play a MMO or multiplayer game with tradeable items Period. You are setting yourself up for tragedy. The authenticator exists to protect your account. They're trying to help you.

Fixed it for you!

thetrin

I still don't understand how people can get on to secure accounts. Take any account I have anywhere - are you saying that there's easy ways for people to get on to those if they wanted?

Yes. Perhaps you've heard of keyloggers.

Passwords are not secure.

A lot of businesses use authenticators to log into their company VPN. This isn't some magical technology Blizzard whipped up on their own. They're adopting something that has been used by tech companies for years.

Realyn

But why the need for extra layers of security? My online banking doesn't require this. What are people doing that allow others on to their account?
I don't know where you live, but in Germany you need exactly what the authenticator is.
A physical device where you put your card in, get a number and write it into your online banking.

Dahbomb

Just got into Hell mode.

Nightmare overall was easier than Normal but it ramped up a bit near the end. Everything up to Act 3 was easy but Act 4 was much harder than Normals' (relatively speaking).
Diablo when he pulls you to the underworld and summons the clone caused massive headaches to our party... this is a fight I would much rather do alone because the extra beefed up clones in a tight area can get hairy.

The boss right before Act 4 was cheap as fuck. Two of his attacks have the same start up animation but one is a slow ass AOE ice attack and the other is an unreactable teleport attack that takes like 6000K health instantly. Because of this I ended up wasting a lot of Discipline, more than I should've. This along with the Butcher's insta chain attacks are already among my most hated moves in the games.

Act 4 also made me realize that Bolo "blue" shots are cheap against bosses or single targets. We basically cheesed our way through Diablo because me and the other DH on our party kept him in stun lock while he was marked with death. In the rare time that he wouldn't be stunned for 0.5 seconds, our Wizard or Barbarian would stun/freeze him instead. Aside from the legitimately cheap instant attack BS, bosses in this games shouldn't be a problem even on Inferno.

Most of the spells that I used in Normals have been more than viable thus far. Caltrops is still freakin' good but I use the 45% damage one now, that extra damage definitely helps. Impale with Overpenetration is OP (no pun intended), the damage, penetration and speed on this thing makes it a staple IMO. Basically you can mow down a mob instantly if they are in a line which isn't hard to get them in one especially in tight dungeons. Hungering Arrows is still good but I don't like Rapid Fire as much as I used to mostly because it being a channeling spell hurts it and the fact that you have to kite so much to save yourself makes it less viable the harder the difficulty (plus the fact that it doesn't quite have the AOE that you would want to mow down a mob). Bolo blue shot is great for taking on elite monsters one at a time. Mark of Death still good, that's not going to change and IMO SS is still very, very good as it still functions as a clutch get out of jail card. You would need to pair it up with Preparation (I don't because I am baller) to keep using it to create space and dodge attacks at the last moment.

A lot of other skills are really great too don't get me wrong. The only skill that I haven't been too keen on is Fan of Knives. Fan of Knives gets killed by the 10s cooldown, there is no reason to use this over Multishot (especially the first one which is basically like a bad ass Shotgun attack). Damage on it is a bit too inconsistent as well as it's not true circle AOE but rather a spiral fashion (hard to explain). Spike Traps MAYBE good if you use the synergies for it but right now it's underwhelming. Most others I haven't tried out yet or some I did but without any real synergy to them (like Spike Traps without the passive).

Overall DH is a strong character at long ranged and with a bulky tank character can take on most opposition in the game.

Opiate

As others have already mentioned, this precise technique is used for quite a bit of banking. It is also used at many companies.

Yes.

Okay, but are you saying these people are somehow getting your password through your use of Diablo? How on earth can they do that unless Blizzard's system is deficient?

You are infected by something on the internet -- a bad flash ad or a download from some random site. This infection allows someone to log your keystrokes so they know what you are typing and when. This allows them to know what you are typing when you log in to your bank online, or on to diablo. That is how this works. The origin of the problem could be anywhere on the internet, and is not inside diablo itself.

thetrin

Okay, but are you saying these people are somehow getting your password through your use of Diablo? How on earth can they do that unless Blizzard's system is deficient?

Because it's not Blizzard's fault. It's Windows'. Flash and any number of other programs have easy exploits that allow people to insert keyloggers onto your machine while you are surfing the web.

From there, they record your key presses on the keyboard, and extract your password from there.

It's in fact NOT Blizzard's fault at all. They just have to deal with the fall out of incredibly unsafe internet browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom