• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

That's not gameplay, that's just fucking dumb.

No it is less damage and more survival. Resistance gear is a must, you need to think when fighting higher level mobs and have powers to escape or power through the poison and arcane. That is what I did with my monk anyway and he has 5k less dps then you

Takuan

The game's biggest flaw for me at the moment is quality of item drops. At this point, it's simply a grind for money so that I can buy equipment some other schmuck found or crafted. Aside from rings and amulets (blues), I haven't found anything worth a lick from Normal through Hell on my Demon Hunter. Boss drops are a joke; I haven't gotten a yellow from any of the boss encounters since going through them on Normal and I swear in Diablo 2 you always got rare drops after beating a boss for the first time on Nightmare and Hell.

I'm having a pretty difficult time soloing Act 1 rare mobs in Hell, too.

Wallach

Right now it seems like you can progress faster by playing the auction house game than actually farming.

So, is there a remote chance you get good gear in act I inferno or is it actually capped so you can't get the stuff you need? Blizz said you need to farm Hell or early Inferno for months before you get geared for the rest of Inferno but it's not as exciting when you're just trying to get more gold so you can buy the gear from the auction house.

You can get some pretty nice stuff out of Act 1. It's just not very common.

you guys play this shit too much. :p

So I've at least rescued Cain with every class type now, and completed act 1 with Wizard....

I have to say, from what I've played, it feels like Monk and Barbarian are completely OP.

Followed behind them is Wizard.

Way behind Wizard is Demon Hunter.

Way way way behind Demon Hunter is witch doctor.

This sound right?

I see the witch doctor on par with the other classes in power. I have not played every build to know for certain, but then I don't believe any one has and therefore there isn't a definitive way to certainly say where the witch doctor is measured, and all power has been measured.

I don't think so, Tim.

Raxus

You can get some pretty nice stuff out of Act 1. It's just not very common.

Depends on what you look for. Weapons are impossible to find but gear? You get something with all resist and you have an item worth a cool 50-100k on the AH easy. If not more.

Fou-Lu

Just beat Hell tonight, killed a couple zombies in Inferno and quit for now.

jSFS8.png

Did you guys not play D2? In what version of D2 were you farming up Jah Ith Ber yourself?

I don't think Inferno is tuned right, but no matter WHAT they do, you will never get as good items by farming yourself as you will by farming + trading on the AH, because you will have access to all of North America's drops instead of just your own. Maybe the farming part of the equation is weak, but obviously someone is getting those drops to sell on the AH.

Alex

Act I Inferno is fairly easy, and requires a slim amount of money at most to cruise by it. I spent maybe 100k, tops, and got by in one shot on a shoddily played Monk. :lol I'd argue it's easier than the back end of Hell in a lot of cases.

Act II is the issue, because Act I needs to be dropping more sensible loot. No low end 50s crap, no 200 DPS weapons, etc, they also need to readjust some of the tuning going from I to II, it's just silly. Act I should end harder and Act II should start easier.

Personally, I'm fine with the AH being woven into the game , especially Inferno. It's not that much different than the end game for II except it's actually challenging this time and the economy is actually based within the damn game now. I do agree with it being woven in comes a difference of facilitation though, but I like the setup currently and enjoy tooling around with it.

I also *highly* doubt theres going to be some huge exodus to the RMAH when it goes live. I'd imagine it's mostly going to be for ridiculous, truly top end fare and fringe items, not your yellow stat + resist all gear. It'll be the same shit as II, again, but just inside the game.

The game's biggest flaw for me at the moment is quality of item drops. At this point, it's simply a grind for money so that I can buy equipment some other schmuck found or crafted. Aside from rings and amulets (blues), I haven't found anything worth a lick from Normal through Hell on my Demon Hunter. Boss drops are a joke; I haven't gotten a yellow from any of the boss encounters since going through them on Normal and I swear in Diablo 2 you always got rare drops after beating a boss for the first time on Nightmare and Hell.

I'm having a pretty difficult time soloing Act 1 rare mobs in Hell, too.

5 NV stacks guarantees you 2 rares + 6-7 blues per boss at a minimum (though also more effort of course).

Also, getting no yellows at all sounds like really bad luck, I'm swimming in yellows just going through hell though obviously most of them suck.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Did you guys not play D2? In what version of D2 were you farming up Jah Ith Ber yourself?

I don't think Inferno is tuned right, but no matter WHAT they do, you will never get as good items by farming yourself as you will by farming + trading on the AH, because you will have access to all of North America's drops instead of just your own. Maybe the farming part of the equation is weak, but obviously someone is getting those drops to sell on the AH.

I had the Ith part at least.

I had the Ith part at least.
lol, Ith is not a high rune man. Ith is pretty much guaranteed from spamming Hell Forge runs.

In the years post 1.10 I found one legit high rune, yes one. The stuff I did manage to put together was thanks to dupes opening up the market and eking out trades for them with cheapo stuff.

The drop rates on high runes makes D3 gear drops look like an amazing loot pinata, just look at this thread, the number of people who would have found a legit high rune by now would be minuscule to the extreme.

I think Inferno was designed, like some other people have said, to monetize Diablo 3.

It's like:

"Look, you just got to Inferno and your gear sucks, you suck and you're ugly. You can farm for items but that's not gonna get you anywhere. You can farm for gold and go to the AH, but that will take you 20, 30 hours, and who knows if you'll be able to get something, too. Or you can just go to that magical button right there, put your credit card information there and we'll take care of you ;)"

I think Inferno was designed, like some other people have said, to monetize Diablo 3.

It's like:

"Look, you just got to Inferno and your gear sucks, you suck and you're ugly. You can farm for items but that's not gonna get you anywhere. You can farm for gold and go to the AH, but that will take you 20, 30 hours, and who knows if you'll be able to get something, too. Or you can just go to that magical button right there, put your credit card information there and we'll take care of you ;)"

So... exactly like D2, except I don't give my credit card to D2JSP and instead give it to Blizzard?

Are spells (like poison dart, etc) affected by a weapon's default attack speed (where it shows the number in white), or do only blue bonuses to attack speed count?

To go into more detail in my question, I had a ceremonial knife that has 1.60 +20 (in white text) Attacks Per Second, while the other weapon was a magic short sword that had 1.40 attacks per second, but with an attack speed modifier. The Ceremonial Knife increased my DPS more due to its higher speed, but does the overall higher speed affect spells too, or do only magical properties for attack speed affect spells (if at all?)

goober

I farm SK on Act 1 inferno. Haven't gotten a rare yet. Only shitty blues.

Still can't kill elites either. Don't know what to buy from the AH cause whenever I do decide to pull the trigger on an item, it's only marginally better than the previous item I had equipped.

Resistances are ~80 now. Ugh.

Here's the thing, this is not WoW. At least a lot of us would like it not to be ....

Yeah there is always diablo 2, they made loot trade easier the issue now is how do you value loot and opportunity cost of grinding for gold or grinding for gear. AH gives you a choice. One thing WoW got right at the start was the value of gold in the game, there was no extreme inflation of cost because gold was not easy to get. RMAH will change that tho.

Svafnir

It's like:

I farmed for items fine, and cleared majority of act 3 inferno! It's really just luck based, and getting all resist gear.

I haven't read the latest patch notes, but it seems my Wizard build has been nerfed. I based it around Ray of Frost having a super-low mana cost so I could just blast it constantly and then pop Diamond Skin to help gain mana back. Now, I fly through mana and Diamond Skin still only keeps my mana level when blasting my RoF, not gaining mana back. Any ideas?

Here's my build:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#lZXdSm!YWb!bbZaYb

And here are my stats:

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
is inferno whimsy shire a good place to farm for gear?

would i survive if my resist all is only around 300?

Heh my resists are 400+ and I still can't really survive act 2.

A good 60% of all the complaints I've heard about the game make me think "Wait, what game did you think you were buying?"

lunchtoast

Found a buddy pass on my desk when I got home. Wish I came here first so I would have known to install it on bootcamp instead of OSX. Oh well, it doesn't run that bad....in 800x600.

eek5

is inferno whimsy shire a good place to farm for gear?

would i survive if my resist all is only around 300?

I can't even tank hits from some of the white enemies there with 9k/900. Unless you're 1 shotting everything before it even gets close, I'd learn towards no.

Artanisix

Only 9k? I do 25k on my wizard with blues in inferno. (but i die before i hit someone :( )

Welcome to the life of a barbarian. Shitty dps with sword and board, yet it's the only real way to progress, millions of gold required in gear to be viable.

I can pretty much kill anything up to a3 right now without dying. Only problem is it takes FOREVER to kill anything. I'm talking 5-10 minutes+ for one elite pack.

DTKT

Holy shit, just got Nether tentacles with my DH.

I can now tank most elites with Shadow Power. This is getting nerfed in two weeks tops.

Wallach

Holy shit, just got Nether tentacles with my DH.

I can now tank most elites with Shadow Power. This is getting nerfed in two weeks tops.

Haha, I don't think they're going to nerf the terrible life leech. If they nerf anything about Nether Tentacles it'll be how many times it can hit a single target.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
A while back somebody posted a link to some super in-depth FAQ about how damage and resists and armor and such work in this game. Anybody got that link?

Shouta

I think I've hit a wall in my enjoyment in this game (Act 2 Inferno)

I'm growing tired of farming the end of Act 1 over and over, not to get actual upgrades but to hope for items worth selling in order to buy upgrades that are actually useful. It's kind of annoying that the best way for me to progress seems to just be to skip everything up until story bosses. That's how I beat Maghda at least ;|

here's my shitty stats (barbarian)

You need a method of healing, life per hit for Barbs is your go to and your damage is low. VERY low for Act 2 Inferno.

Swap your VIT gems for STR and find a more powerful weapon preferably with Life on Hit, or if you can't, look for the necessary amulet/rings with them.

Dire

lol, Ith is not a high rune man. Ith is pretty much guaranteed from spamming Hell Forge runs.

In the years post 1.10 I found one legit high rune, yes one. The stuff I did manage to put together was thanks to dupes opening up the market and eking out trades for them with cheapo stuff.

The drop rates on high runes makes D3 gear drops look like an amazing loot pinata, just look at this thread, the number of people who would have found a legit high rune by now would be minuscule to the extreme.

I'm pretty sure you both mean Ist. You end up with about a million Iths on your way to hell.

A year or two ago rune rates on Diablo 2 were modified. High runes are fairly common now. Zod, the rarest rune there is, has a drop rate of 1/5170. Ist is 1/540.4. And it's D2, not D3 - there are swarms and swarms of enemies. You can easily kill hundreds per hour. Though even 'back in the day' high runes weren't that crazy - Ist used to be 1/2525.7.

I can only imagine the reason people have so much trouble with runes is because they just follow Baal bots around all day instead of actually playing the game. It works out great for people who do actually play the game since the Baal bot guys are happy to give out inordinate amounts of actually rare loot for small amounts of runes.

Mairu

You need a method of healing, life per hit for Barbs is your go to and your damage is low. VERY low for Act 2 Inferno.

Swap your VIT gems for STR and find a more powerful weapon preferably with Life on Hit, or if you can't, look for the necessary amulet/rings with them.

I could spend the entirety of my gold to boost the dps on my weapon by 200 and it's really annoying that people can put gems in items that get sold on the auction house. Searching for weapons with life on hit mostly just brings up weapons with sockets with a shitty purple gem in them and amulet/rings alone are ridiculously expensive.

But I don't really even want to farm at all right now since I've got 10 items stuck on the auction house

Thrakier

I could spend the entirety of my gold to boost the dps on my weapon by 200 and it's really annoying that people can put gems in items that get sold on the auction house. Searching for weapons with life on hit mostly just brings up weapons with sockets with a shitty purple gem in them and amulet/rings alone are ridiculously expensive.

But I don't really even want to farm at all right now since I've got 10 items stuck on the auction house

That's the other annoying thing...

Neki

It's like:

You seem to think awesome gear is going to rain upon the RMAH as soon as it opens. The gear has to come from somewhere, and the availability of the gear will be similar to the in game auction house, except for prices are going to be ridiculously inflated. The RMAH is not going to allow people to do Act II Inferno plus unless you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars on over priced shit. Even then, most people don't even realize that straight dps isn't the way to go, so they aren't even going to get past the first mobs in Act II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom