• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

maharg

idspispopd
If you have a keylogger on your machine you probably have much bigger problems than your diablo account getting hacked.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay, but are you saying these people are somehow getting your password through your use of Diablo? How on earth can they do that unless Blizzard's system is deficient?

No.

You could have a keylogger. You could of used this password else where on a site that *was* compromised. You could of just had a shitty password.

And yes, there could be a chance blizzard fucked up in leaking passwords.

BUT the thing that all those share in common is they can be stopped with an authenticator.

Alex

Okay, but are you saying these people are somehow getting your password through your use of Diablo? How on earth can they do that unless Blizzard's system is deficient?

You can get a keylogger through any million of vulnerabilities. A popular one has always been flash banner exploits.

it doesnt happen in other games because theres no value in hacking other games

It doesnt happen in banking, etc, because the law will be brought down upon them.

Theres some good articles on this stuff, when people say WoW/Blizzard account theft is the new credit card theft, they arent joking or exaggerating.

Yes. Perhaps you've heard of keyloggers.

Passwords are not secure.

A lot of businesses use authenticators to log into their company VPN. This isn't some magical technology Blizzard whipped up on their own. They're adopting something that has been used by tech companies for years.

And is being adopted for just about every major site that stores private info (banks, email, ect)

Hell, even facebook has a 2 step verification process now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Exactly. Battle.net accounts are a priority target because the law won't pursue stolen WoW accounts, and they're very easy to flip on eBay.

They're not especially deficient. They're just a prime target.

Which is why they have an authenticator (something your bank should be providing).

Sell the authenticator in Europe for less than twice as much as in the US ?

Look, I'm not Blizzard. I don't know why it costs that much. What I do know is that fighting about authenticators is a fool's errand. Either get one, or get hacked. That's the simple truth. I don't make the rules.

Because it's not Blizzard's fault. It's Windows'. Flash and any number of other programs have easy exploits that allow people to insert keyloggers onto your machine while you are surfing the web.

From there, they record your key presses on the keyboard, and extract your password from there.

It's in fact NOT Blizzard's fault at all. They just have to deal with the fall out of incredibly unsafe internet browsing.

No.

You could have a keylogger. You could of used this password else where on a site that *was* compromised. You could of just had a shitty password.

And yes, there could be a chance blizzard fucked up in leaking passwords.

BUT the thing that all those share in common is they can be stopped with an authenticator.

You can get a keylogger through any million of vulnerabilities. A popular one has always been flash banner exploits.

it doesnt happen in other games because theres no value in hacking other games

It doesnt happen in banking, etc, because the law will be brought down upon them.

Theres some good articles on this stuff, when people say WoW/Blizzard account theft is the new credit card theft, they arent joking or exaggerating.

Thank you. Interesting stuff. Will things like Malwarebytes detect keyloggers?

Instro

I may have missed it in the previous thread but people said they were more likely to be victim to a hack if they had played in a public game. As in, somehow public games unveiled an exploit to make hacking others easier.

Is there any information about this for others to either avoid public games or detail what can be done to make it safer. Obviously the higher level is just to get the authenticator to protect it overall, but what specifically is public games providing to the problem? What is the exploit?

Well, I did happen within 12 hours of me doing a large amount of public games for essentially the first time. I'd have hard time believing that has anything to do with it though, but who knows. I'll have to scan my computer for a keylogger, but its not like I've had any other issues with passwords. I do use the same one for 1 or 2 other things though. :\

In any case, jokes on them, I didn't really have much to take lol. Shame about the gold though.

balddemon

Banned
Hell hits it's stride about midway into Act 2, IMO. It's then that the first, true blue "what the fuck?" moments start to occur in the game. It's hilarious.

i also know because i only have 2k dps and the fuckin zombies in the cathedral have 17k hp.

LordCanti

It's a feeding frenzy right now on the AH. Stuff that would have gone for far less is apparently selling to impatient people. Get in while the gettin is good.

Edit: Dammit, it's on the fritz again!

eek5

What's better for a barb? (for Inferno, obviously)

51bracers.png

60bracers.png

They're actually a lot closer than they seem but the melee reduction on the first one will probably put the first over.

The point where armor and resist stacking starts to level off is around 75% (I think 7k armor/700 resists?) It happens at roughly a 10:1 scale so if you break it down:

(Assuming you're running vita=armor passive as you should be)

First piece:
Armor 131 + Str 123 + Vita 23 + 170 "armor equivalence" from Resists = 447 "points" of DR

Second piece:
Armor 207 + Str 168 + Vita 121 = 496 "points" or DR

I don't know whether or not 4% reduced dmg from melee happens before or after armor (I'm assuming after) but if you're starting to hit 75%+ the reduced melee damage will provide more of a reduction than the extra DR. Yeah, health and str are helpful for increasing the amount you heal with percentage based skills and damage output, respectively, but you should be focusing on reducing the amount of damage as much as possible so your shield can block/absorb first THEN work on increasing your health pool so that you can heal enough off 5%/8%/etc skills to offset the damage you DO take. The least important thing is damage output because if you take care of the other stuff you'll be able to survive anything so it'll only be a matter of time before you kill stuff.

tl;dr: They're very similar but I think damage reduction from melee is more helpful.

kpeezy

Banned
Make sure to run it in safemode.

Actually don't do this. Malwarebytes is less effective in safe mode. Only run malwarebytes in safe mode if you're having problems with the scan freezing in normal mode.

edit: also, according to malwarebytes quick scan is as effective as full scan in 99% of cases.

scy

It's a feeding frenzy right now on the AH. Stuff that would have gone for far less is apparently selling to impatient people. Get in while the gettin is good.

Edit: Dammit, it's on the fritz again!

The AH is too busy telling me my payment info is wrong :x

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, I did happen within 12 hours of me doing a large amount of public games for essentially the first time. I'd have hard time believing that has anything to do with it though, but who knows. I'll have to scan my computer for a keylogger, but its not like I've had any other issues with passwords. I do use the same one for 1 or 2 other things though. :\

In any case, jokes on them, I didn't really have much to take lol. Shame about the gold though.
Just make sure you get secure from now on!

Wallach

I still don't understand how people can get on to secure accounts. Take any account I have anywhere - are you saying that there's easy ways for people to get on to those if they wanted?

Any account that only has a simple username/password check can be compromised by a keylogger infection that isn't detected. Absolutely. Here's the catch; when you are looking at keylogged data, you need to be able to detect what they are logging into, or know beforehand. Mass attacks strategies like this where you try to infect a lot of users from a particular vulnerability (like a web browser exploit), that isn't easy. Most commonly, the tactic is to place these viruses on web pages or links that someone that logs into a particular kind of account would try and visit. Then once the keyloggers start rolling in with keylogged data, they don't run around trying the information on a lot of accounts, they try to log into whatever particular account they are looking to scam. They get their value not in the breadth of accounts/data stolen, but the number of users compromised.

That said, all of your online accounts should be protected as reasonably well as you can. An attack that is more specifically targeted can get a lot of your information. Any time important services offer optional account security options, use them. Particularly two-step authentication, as it has proven extremely hard to get around from the vast majority of theft approaches.

Here's a three step process you could do that might take upwards of an hour depending on how many online accounts you have, but would improve your security by an order of magnitude:

1) Ensure every single one of your online accounts uses a unique password. No exceptions. Look into password management software like KeePass to make this easier to handle. Once the initial process is over, this is actually very, very easy to continue to manage. Since this will include your Battle.net account it's relevant to what we're doing here.

2) Attach an authenticator to your Battle.net account. No-brainer. Doesn't matter if it is the phone app or the physical key fob. Get one.

3) Change your e-mail used for your Battle.net account to a Gmail account, then activate the two-step authentication for that e-mail through Gmail and grab the authenticator for that too. Now you have an additional layer of security on the e-mail that all account authorizations will request through.

Do these three things before you continue playing any Blizzard game. Do it now.

balddemon

Banned
2k at the start of Act I hell? Thats damn low. Farm the end of Act 3/4 NM and gain some exp while doing so. Get mf gear for chest and goblins.

that's kinda what i figured lol. should i get a separate set of gear for MF/GF? that i can equip when opening chests or killing elites?

Achtius

I really hate how auction house doesnt' tell you if the weapon increase or decrease your damage output. I just brought a weapon and apparently it's worse than what I have. Now I have to sell it at a loss (due to the AH tax) :(

Ferrio

Banned
If you want to have a singleplayer experience without getting screwed, buy the DLC authenticator. Really it shouldn't be surprising to people you have to buy 10€ DLC authenticators on Day 1.

Oh come on.

They offer it free on phones. The one you pay for is an actual physical device that has to be made. Not to mention there's free shipping.

smr00

Banned
The AH is too busy telling me my payment info is wrong :x
I have had a chest full of rares that could easily sell for 50-100k for the past 4 fucking days and i still can't sell them.

It lets me sell shittier items that will get 2-8k but nothing else and it's really starting to piss me off. I got that wrong payment earlier but now it's back to some bullshit error /rage

Wallach

The AH is f'ed up again. If I don't get my 30k, 900dps + 90 main stat weapon, I'm going to throw a fit.

It shows it in my completed list.... argghh...

If it shows as "Buyout" in your Completed list, it should eventually go through. It could take a while if the backend is fucked up again, but the session ID for that was already created.

Dahbomb

i also know because i only have 2k dps and the fuckin zombies in the cathedral have 17k hp.
As soon as I beat NM, I had around 2.5K DPS. That was just barely ok for NM but in Hell, it's taking a bit to kill even normal enemies. You and I both need a weapon upgrade my friend.

Yeah if only there were a smartphone app or a dial in authenticator for those without a smartphone.

I don't have a smartphone

I've seen people claim to have been hacked when using the dial in authenticator

Blizzard apologists are the worst thing, the whole thing is ridiculous.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

Nobody is really apologising for anything, because they don't have anything to be accused of (in this specific matter).

Ferrio

Banned
People bitch about Day 1 DLC or Pre-Order DLC (see SF vs. Tekken), but tell someone to buy a physical device (or get a smartphone) only so you can have a safe singleplayer experience because Blizzard wanted the game to be always online is now totally fine.

Look, the single player online thing is a valid complaint, but that's not what we're discussing. We're discussing securing the game you bought, the one you knew was online only.

Sothpaw

People who are complaining about getting hacked when they have been warned a million times to get an authenticator are the worst thing.

Fucking cave of frost...But it's worth it, making tons of gold charging people 5k each to open the secret level for them.

hmm, never thought about that, I was just bringing in gaffers that wanted to come see :3

But yea, I got lucky with the cave of frost, only took 2 runs. The Liquid Rainbow was the bane of my existance however -.-

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

The dial in auth doesn't work with Diablo 3.

Magnus

I'd be more dismayed to see my Blizzard characters (representing tens, or hundreds of hours) erased than to see some money pilfered from my bank account, lol. The latter's actually happened, and I was like, well shit, knowing confidently that it'd be sorted. The bank sorted it out in one visit. They'd accidentally made a withdrawal from mine, error on their end.

Meanwhile, for the five minutes where I thought my D3 character of 20 hours was gone (my client mysteriously shifted to logging into the EU servers), I quietly panicked, thinking it'd be much more difficult to restore.

Haha.

If you want to have a singleplayer experience without getting screwed, buy the DLC authenticator. Really it shouldn't be surprising to people you have to buy 10€ DLC authenticators on Day 1.

Terrible comparison. Totally different issues, and keylogging and what not belong in a realm well outside of Blizzard's control.

Realyn

People bitch about Day 1 DLC or Pre-Order DLC (see SF vs. Tekken), but tell someone to buy a physical device (or get a smartphone) only so you can have a safe singleplayer experience because Blizzard wanted the game to be always online is now totally fine.

Sadly D3 is no singleplayer game. Read the backside of the game.

LordCanti

If it shows as "Buyout" in your Completed list, it should eventually go through. It could take a while if the backend is fucked up again, but the session ID for that was already created.

I hope so.

There are so many good deals right now. It won't let me buy any of them ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom