• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Yeah, I think I spent an hour-ish there last night while waiting for friends and I made ~150k or so. Granted, 220% GF.

The Cellar itself?

Yup, time to switch some stuff around.

I did Dark Cellar/Dank Cellar circuits for awhile; eventually just settled on the Dank only :x

And yeah but I mean, I'd rather give things out than vendor them. Just better overall. DEX, I think my DH has ~1100 in her GF equipment? I do have like no VIT though.

Natalya dropped from one of the quill beasts in there (maybe the boss, not sure). Tal's came from a barrel lol.

It's all random.

"Blizzard juden"? Haha, I don't need a translator for that!

Wow, they're really going for broke over on the EU forums.

smr00

Banned
HJzGm.jpg

Can i get a price check on this Legendary? first one since i started the game.

Also i can finally make those diamond shaped gems but holy shit it's 30k a pop.. wtf were you thinking blizzard? ridiculous, the whole pricing of smithing/jeweling is just outrageous to me.

J0dy77

After an hour or so of Dank Cellar yesterday, I realized that this game has made me into a gold farmer, dunno how I feel about that :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1NUJsFuzgU&list=HL1338393044&feature=mh_lolz

I've had this same feeling lately and as much as the game has sucked me in right now, I think I'm going to get very bored very quickly. The odds of me finding that perfect piece of gear is not going to happen, I can just farm gold faster and buy the pieces I need.

Not having bind on pickup and bind on equip makes the loot to easy to obtain and pass on. Acquiring gold reserve and wealth is the only real driving force right now.

PvP may make things worth while in the end but after I complete Inferno and mabye roll another character, I'm not sure I'll keep playing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Should probably use a 800 dps bow for one. :p

Would a bow would be a better option than a crossbow? I was trying to save up, and be able to afford a +900dps 1-hand crossbow, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I wish there was a way to tell how much the higher base damage would increase my overall DPS.

Deadly

Define "a night". It's a few thousand gold per run (up to 8-10k with enough GF) and it takes about a minute.

I got both the Tal chest, and Natalya chest, doing Dank Cellar runs.
Interesting. Night would have been maybe 6hours? 8-10k sure sounds nice though...

scy

Natalya dropped from one of the quill beasts in there (maybe the boss, not sure). Tal's came from a barrel lol.

It's all random.

Yeah, I know it's random, just didn't think the enemy count in there was really enough to be a reliable MF% spot. Then again, he does splurt out items everywhere.

...and random.

Also i can finally make those diamond shaped gems but holy shit it's 30k a pop.. wtf were you thinking blizzard? ridiculous, the whole pricing of smithing/jeweling is just outrageous to me.

Don't worry, soon it'll only take two gems per combine!

Granted, it'll take one less combine to upgrade Gems but still. I have 1M Gold and I can't actually convert all my Flawless Square Topazes to Stars :/

Neki

Would a bow would be a better option than a crossbow? I was trying to save up, and be able to afford a +900dps 1-hand crossbow, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I wish there was a way to tell how much the higher base damage would increase my overall DPS.

Well using a shield + crossbow is useless unless you're doing hardcore. You need to burst down mobs well before they get to the point you need to block. Adding 200 DPS to your weapon would probably increase your damage quite a bit.

LiK

I have an authenticator and got this genuine email from Blizzard, as confirmed by the in-game notification:

Went directly to their website on another machine, completely changed my password, logged back in, nothing gone. Weird...

this happened to a Gamespot editor too. Authenticator ftw.

arimanius

For the love of god I can't find a class I like. I've gotten a Barb, Wiz, and Monk to 37. Once I hit NM they become meh. Tried DH and WD to 10 but I'm underwhelmed.

I have friends that have high level DH and WD and they both love their classes. I heard WD get really fun in the mid 20s. Don't know about DH.

So I'm thinking of just powering a WD to the mid 20s. Any WD want to comment on when the class really takes off?

scy

2H Crossbow tends to be the general choice for Archery's +50% Critical Damage. 2H Bows are a lot cheaper. You still get a Quiver this way as well and survivability for a DH, personally, is about things dying before they're close enough to be relevant.

TommyT

It's very very possible that I'm overestimating the importance of Life per Hit. Certain things in Inferno kill me in one hit, but I can survive usually survive 3 hits or so thus far, and I get pretty much all my health back by firing NetherTentacles into a pack. This could, and probably will, all change once I reach Act II. I feel like Life per Hit is also important for bosses.

LPH his better than Life%, however as a DH it's not really necessary to have either... unless you are attacking fast and have really high damage reduction. The reason it's so good for a melee class is because they'll usually have that high mitigation and are attacking quickly thus getting back the little damage they're taking.

In act 1, it's a nice intro and you'll get through it without little issue. Act 2 though you'll be getting 1-2 shotted by most mobs right out of act 1. I was helping HenryHSH yesterday and in act 2 I was being 1 shotted (32k damage with a 30k pool - and decent resist where nothing else was killing me unless it was 3+ attacks) by a boss. LPH isn't going to save you there or build your pool back fast enough (again unless you're attacking REALLY fast) to survive another hit.

So it's good don't get me wrong, just that it isn't AS good for DH unless you meet a few requirements.

LordCanti

HJzGm.jpg

Can i get a price check on this Legendary? first one since i started the game.

I think Bul's can roll resist all, which makes them worth more. The critical hit damage alone makes it worth a decent amount though (maybe a mil+? Hard to say)

Yeah, I know it's random, just didn't think the enemy count in there was really enough to be a reliable MF% spot. Then again, he does splurt out items everywhere.

...and random.

To be specific, Tal's came from a barrel in the ruined city itself, not from the cellar.

Blizzard is kind of evil to put good items in barrels and stuff (making me a nut that has to kick them all over compulsively).

LuchaShaq

Banned
I have an authenticator and got this genuine email from Blizzard, as confirmed by the in-game notification:

Went directly to their website on another machine, completely changed my password, logged back in, nothing gone. Weird...

Had the same thing happen to me but I didn't log in and out 20 times changing settings like you mentioned.

smr00

Banned

...and random.

Granted, it'll take one less combine to upgrade Gems but still. I have 1M Gold and I can't actually convert all my Flawless Square Topazes to Stars :/
The price is what blows my mind.

I have a mule full of gems, i wish there was an option to reduce price on upgrading gems like lets say you need 3 ___ gems to make ___ and cost 30k + 5 books or 10 ___ gems ot make 1 ____ and cost 5k + whatever books. 30k is a ridiculous asking price for a gem that only adds like what? +4 extra stats?

I think Bul's can roll resist all, which makes them worth more. The critical hit damage alone makes it worth a decent amount though (maybe a mil+? Hard to say)

To be specific, Tal's came from a barrel in the ruined city itself, not from the cellar.

Blizzard is kind of evil to put good items in barrels and stuff (making me a nut that has to kick them all over compulsively).
If i could get a mill that would be amazing, i was expecting around maybe 400-500k but a mill would be great because i really need to MF gear my wizard.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Giving the follower gold find increases the amount as-well, just like magic find right?

LordCanti

If i could get a mill that would be amazing, i was expecting around maybe 400-500k but a mill would be great because i really need to MF gear my wizard.

The 500k ones are generally unsocketed, I think. It all depends on the buyer you find (might have more luck on a trading forum than in the AH).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well using a shield + crossbow is useless unless you're doing hardcore. You need to burst down mobs well before they get to the point you need to block. Adding 200 DPS to your weapon would probably increase your damage quite a bit.

2H Crossbow tends to be the general choice for Archery's +50% Critical Damage. 2H Bows are a lot cheaper. You still get a Quiver this way as well and survivability for a DH, personally, is about things dying before they're close enough to be relevant.

LPH his better than Life%, however as a DH it's not really necessary to have either... unless you are attacking fast and have really high damage reduction. The reason it's so good for a melee class is because they'll usually have that high mitigation and are attacking quickly thus getting back the little damage they're taking.

In act 1, it's a nice intro and you'll get through it without little issue. Act 2 though you'll be getting 1-2 shotted by most mobs right out of act 1. I was helping HenryHSH yesterday and in act 2 I was being 1 shotted (32k damage with a 30k pool - and decent resist where nothing else was killing me unless it was 3+ attacks) by a boss. LPH isn't going to save you there or build your pool back fast enough (again unless you're attacking REALLY fast) to survive another hit.

So it's good don't get me wrong, just that it isn't AS good for DH unless you meet a few requirements.

Thanks for the advice. It's really helpful. Before this latest upgrade to gear, I was getting one shotted by practically everything in Act 4 Hell. I was getting really frustrated, so I went all out in resistance+armor and Gold Find, including the shield and +LPH. That may not have been the best decision.

I have a pretty good rare quiver, so maybe I'll go a more powerful 2 Hand Crossbow with quiver, and without LPH it should be a good deal cheaper.

Oh, and Lacuni Prowlers are expensive. :\

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Does it take like 30 seconds to resume game on EU servers for anyone else? Been like this for the past two days...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've had this same feeling lately and as much as the game has sucked me in right now, I think I'm going to get very bored very quickly. The odds of me finding that perfect piece of gear is not going to happen, I can just farm gold faster and buy the pieces I need.

Not having bind on pickup and bind on equip makes the loot to easy to obtain and pass on. Acquiring gold reserve and wealth is the only real driving force right now.

Yeah, I can sort of see this too. I'm only in Act III of NM so far and I'm still having fun, but the way the game is currently it's pretty pointless to level up the blacksmith or the jeweler. It's far more cost effective to simply go shopping on the AH. For that reason, gold is so much more important than item hunting this time around.

I plan on eventually leveling one of each class up to 60, but when that's done (no time soon!) I can see me shelving the game for awhile. For contrast, in D2 I leveled dozens of characters, and each one was very different from each other. I used my high level chars to MF for leveling loot on new chars and such. None of that is necessary in D3, one 60 of each class is all I need to be able to experiment with any build of any class in the game. While that is kind of nice, it will also certainly limit repeatability with respect to how D2 was. And the AH makes that even more pronounced.

D3 is a great game and they did a fantastic job, but in many ways it's not as alluring as D2 was. And I don't see it holding my attention for 10+ years like D2 did. The AH and skill / leveling system is a big part of that. And I'm not sure an expansion of LOD quality can circumvent those things. Time will tell of course...

scy

My Monk must use Air Ally because it keeps up Sweeping Wind which breaks all barrels for me. It's the same reason my DH keeps Multishot around. :/

The price is what blows my mind.

I have a mule full of gems, i wish there was an option to reduce price on upgrading gems like lets say you need 3 ___ gems to make ___ and cost 30k + 5 books or 10 ___ gems ot make 1 ____ and cost 5k + whatever books. 30k is a ridiculous asking price for a gem that only adds like what? +4 extra stats?

Well, the change to 2 Gems/combine cuts down the cost by 33%. Sort of. Normally, you'd need to convert 9 Gems to get 3 of the next tier to make 1 of the tier above it which means you'd need to spend 90k. Post-change, you'll need 4 Gems to get 2 of the next tier to make 1 of the tier above that which means you only need 60k now.

So it helps a bit. I still think the combine prices should be about 25% or so cheaper. And that's not even counting the four tiers above the standard Jewelcrafter! The cost of Radiant Stars is ridiculous (~10M Gold after the change?). Unless there's some super secret awesome spot for Gold farming (or finding a way to 500% Gold Find), I'm not sure how long it would take to get 11 Radiant Stars.

Yoshichan

So if I give him 100MF, I only gain 20MF from him right?

I'm in the same boat with roughly the same stats. If I am going to grind away gold I sometimes runs Hell Act III Heart of Sin area. It's not really hard and if you build up Valor the Miniboss and Act III Main boss usually drop multiple rares. I have got lucky rolls on a few rings and amulets I sold for about 1 mil.
That's good to know. I did do one or two Azmodan runs and got a ton of rares but they weren't very good. If I could get a ring/amulet worth half that much though I'd be happy. It's definitely quicker than trying to farm Diablo... and much easier to solo which means more MF for me.

I also got a couple of PMs with some good gold farming spots in Act 1 Inferno but I don't have a set of %GF equipment... plus I wouldn't be able to kill monsters in a reasonable time to even get gold in Inferno without my best gear on.

Yoshichan

Yep. That's the way it works. You can see it applied to your character in the detailed stats window.
Excellent! Thanks~

Gonna sell this info to a couple of people now :3 'cuz that's how I roll.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
For the love of god I can't find a class I like. I've gotten a Barb, Wiz, and Monk to 37. Once I hit NM they become meh. Tried DH and WD to 10 but I'm underwhelmed.

I have friends that have high level DH and WD and they both love their classes. I heard WD get really fun in the mid 20s. Don't know about DH.

So I'm thinking of just powering a WD to the mid 20s. Any WD want to comment on when the class really takes off?

WD takes off in NM. By then you've got a truckload of tricks under your sleeve yet things aren't hard enough you are forced to dire bats/undead bears spam with vision quest.

The real problem with the class is that soul harvest is so powerful it perma locks one slot.

Dina

A very interesting post here, with a gamedeveloper discussing shortcomings of Diablo's item system.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5270834615

DSmalls84

That's good to know. I did do one or two Azmodan runs and got a ton of rares but they weren't very good. If I could get a ring/amulet worth half that much though I'd be happy. It's definitely quicker than trying to farm Diablo... and much easier to solo which means more MF for me.

I also got a couple of PMs with some good gold farming spots in Act 1 Inferno but I don't have a set of %GF equipment... plus I wouldn't be able to kill monsters in a reasonable time to even get gold in Inferno without my best gear on.

Start on the quest called the second heart. That gives you 2 floors to stack valor before the mini boss (you usally have 4-5 stacks) then one more prior to fighting Azmodan. Word of warning, only the rare armor pieces you find will be potentially valuable. None of the weapon drops will have enough damage. I have found rings and gloves with IAS% and resist all though so you can get lucky.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh, so it's fife o clock in Germany, what does that mean? Right! Servers are down.
I think i played DIII more in my head than on my PC.

Error 37? I am ingame right now. You just need to keep trying, you'll get in when someone exits the game.

...and random.

Itll only take 2 up to flawless square :(

arimanius

WD takes off in NM. By then you've got a truckload of tricks under your sleeve yet things aren't hard enough you are forced to dire bats/undead bears spam with vision quest.

The real problem with the class is that soul harvest is so powerful it perma locks one slot.

Interesting, but makes sense. It seems like most classes get a lot of their tools at the end of normal.

scy

A very interesting post here, with a gamedeveloper discussing shortcomings of Diablo's item system.

Pretty interesting read, honestly. Something does need to happen for the AH (Listing fees, larger AH cut) to make it less "good" for 1-59. If nothing else, Bind to Account on Equip really, really needs to happen. Things we've thrown around here in this thread since forever ago, I'd imagine.

Also, a "farm mode" of each difficulty would be a welcome change. Probably would be all kinds of screwy with the checkpoint system, I imagine.

LordCanti

I agree with his points, but I'm not sure a no AH softcore mode is a solution. Blizzard wants to make that delicious RMAH money.

Creating a listing fee for auctions is probably necessary, but ultimately it will leave only the best of the best items, and make everything else worthless vendor trash (exacerbating the problem of junk loot, as noted in his rant).

There is no easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom