• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today has been pretty much up and fucking down for me but luckily I'm ending strong.

First a legendary chest armor recipe dropped, then staff gets deleted but then I decide to farm a little for more materials to make the legendary chest and then I roll this....

kzWji.png

the love/hate relationship I have for this game is ridiculous.

scosher

If anything, a penalty. MF% is split so unless you all have the exact same MF%, someone is losing out. Enemies are also a lot harder and drops don't improve.

I'm not sure why MF% isn't averaged at like 60% of each for two players, 45% for three, and 40% for four. Or something like that, anyway, so that you're able to improve MF% in multiplayer games and it still prevents one person from stacking all of the MF.

They should've made it so playing multiplayer is like having multiple followers. You have your own MF, and then you add on top of that 20% of other players' MF.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
good read from the Designer. I really wish the AH did not exist.

I get an AH in a game like WOW where there is always more content coming but what is the point of the AH in Diablo?? Diablo is about griding for loot.

I just got done talking with a buddy about how the auction house ruins a big part of what made D2 so great. But, this has been covered many, many times.

TommyT

But since number 2 on that list isn't currently happening, number 1 won't be perceived as possible by the players (10 clears, 0 upgrades, I will go complain on the forums that its impossible - even if its possible and I needed 100 clears. Since I've received no positive feedback from the game that my effort is being rewarded, I will feel as though my efforts are pointless.) This is the problem most people are facing. Take into account that waypoints are largely ineffective due to the questing system, and clicking through quest text on subsequent playthroughs is (for the most part) an annoying time sink, its not even 'easy' to go farm for loot that likely won't drop. And that random events have little or no reward, and random spawning packs of mobs (which are irrelevant to map variance) don't create enough of a varied exploring experience.

I have some issue with the paragraph.

It's true, you might not get an upgrade in 10 runs. However he doesn't take into account that you might have gotten items that are an upgrade for someone and can be sold on the auction house. Now that might also help is point as to what benefit does making more money have - buy better gear from the auction house or better yet use it for the smith. However there's still that positive feedback/reward for farming for gear. You didn't get your gear, but you got some for someone else (maybe an alt?) so there's always that.

The clicking through quest text being tedious... You can hit space/esc (or bind it to a key of your choice) to skip prompt to skip. While over time those add up sure, but is it really an "annoying time sink"?

I like what he's saying overall though.

A very interesting post here, with a gamedeveloper discussing shortcomings of Diablo's item system.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5270834615

I liked this:
6 - change) Add gems as a requirement or option to create gear from the blacksmith to force a main stat to be rolled on the item, and slightly reduce the cost of combines (say by the vendor price of the quality of gem in question)6 - expected change) this will drastically improve the quality of items received from the blacksmith, and act as a gem sink in the game. But adding an emerald, as an example, to a recipe - it will force +dex on the item. This means the item created - while not necessarily optimal, will at least be usable in some form. This should be easily grokkable to the playerbase as the gems are already attuned each to one of the main stats.

I already said I thought the auction house should have a 50% or more tax to increase prices. The path of least resistence indeed.

scy

They should've made it so playing multiplayer is like having multiple followers. You have your own MF, and then you add on top of that 20% of other players' MF.

Yeah, that works as well. Just something instead of this averaged one, really.

The clicking through quest text being tedious... You can hit space/esc (or bind it to a key of your choice) to skip prompt to skip. While over time those add up sure, but is it really an "annoying time sink"?

It's just annoying to hit ESC :x

It really is such a minor gripe, though.

Define "a night". It's a few thousand gold per run (up to 8-10k with enough GF) and it takes about a minute.

Around 168% MF without NV and 15k DPS as a DH with that kit on. There is nothing in Act 1 I can't take down.

I got both the Tal chest, and Natalya chest, doing Dank Cellar runs.
Gotcha, gotcha. I was doing Dank Cellar runs before I even knew it was a "thing". In fact, I was doing Dank Cellar runs during the Starter Edition, believe it or not, and my method wasn't nearly as efficient. I'd forgotten about the Checkpoint right outside Old Tristram.
What are these cellar runs you both speak of? I just went bankrupt leveling my blacksmith to 10, so now I need some more of that sweet, sweet coin!

scy

What are these cellar runs you both speak of? I just went bankrupt leveling my blacksmith to 10, so now I need some more of that sweet, sweet coin!

Sword of the Stranger Quest -> Old Ruins -> Head West (Checkpoint) and then keep going to the first cellar. If it's there, enter and kill the named Quillbeast (Sarkoth) for loots. TP and leave game without moving or else you'll trigger another Checkpoint. Resume Game puts you back right outside Tristram's west entrance and it's a ~3s run to check the Cellar from there.

Off-hand, I don't think you need that quest in particular to get that Checkpoint; I don't remember why I chose it over Reign of the Black King.

Edit: If you want to add more to the run, the Dark Cellar in the Old Ruins itself has a chance of a Treasure Goblin as well.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I was hoping the later-game blacksmith recipes were a bit more intricate to assemble than just "Add 2 reagents + 100.000 gold".

Like creating shoulder items off certain white shoulder drops in the world or something. Different kinds can give different stat rolls. I just hate how completely useless the white items are. Even in WoW they are worth vendoring, but not here.

LordCanti

Found my first legendary.

A shitty dagger.

It's like IDing a ring and realizing that it's your 40th Manald Heal

"Please be an SoJ, please be an SoJ...DAMMIT!"

I feel your pain. Every legendary I've rolled has been horrible. The set items I've rolled have been fantastic though (maybe with the exception of this Natalya's chest I'm afraid to identify) so it kind of makes up for it.

Seeing people rolling 1500 DPS Crossbows with 100% extra critical hit damage really deflates my enjoyment though.

Haven't been following this thread too much. Has there even been any communication on Blizzards part on what they plan to do with itemization? Still trying to not use the AH, but it's getting harder to resist.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So do we know if Blizzard has like this program that shows how many enemies' been killed in x days? That way they'll for sure know about this Cellar-run and nerf them, right?

Dahbomb

GOT MY FIRST LEGENDARY!!! :O

Starspine! And I can actually use it because I am a DH!!!! Stats are ok... for near end of Hell. 370DPS, 100+ Dex, 100+ Str, 35%+ Critical damage, 1 socket, 15%+ IAS. A couple more stats too, can't remember. LVL 57 item.

I am going to finish Hell with this, only latter half of Act 4 to go. Then I am going to keep it in my stash forever. It's probably not worth more than 100K so I am going to keep it for NOSTALGIA!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dank cellar farming doesn't seem that great. I have 113% gold find and 67% magic.

Can you buy tomes of secrets ?
It's more recommended to have like 190% gold find, that's when you really start seeing the big dollars.

scy

So do we know if Blizzard has like this program that shows how many enemies' been killed in x days? That way they'll for sure know about this Cellar-run and nerf them, right?

They probably do. But, it's not really because he has awesome loot or anything. He's literally right next to a checkpoint for Enter Game -> Leave Game -> Resume Game shenanigans and that's his value.

So it'll be nerfed by the time I get home today.

LordCanti

They probably just go to youtube and see what people are posting. No one can keep their mouth shut about a decent farming spot.

Boogdud

I got a legendary literally within the first 45 minutes of playing. A fist weapon, which was semi useful because I had a monk. But I mean, for all the bitching of not finding legendaries, I'd much rather find them at 40-60 than level... 8.

Haven't seen one since lol.

I was hoping the later-game blacksmith recipes were a bit more intricate to assemble than just "Add 2 reagents + 100.000 gold".

Like creating shoulder items off certain white shoulder drops in the world or something. Different kinds can give different stat rolls. I just hate how completely useless the white items are. Even in WoW they are worth vendoring, but not here.

That kind of stuff would be awesome. Also, have more crafting elements than just one per difficulty. Something like this:

5 x magic dust
10 x crafting element A
5 x crafting element B
5 x pages
100,000 x gold

Yoshichan

Forcefields.
I swear to God, SC2 is top 10 best games of all time (even though I make it sound like it's not) but whenever I hear KSCHHH KSCHHH KSCHHH, then I want to fucking E.Honda-headbutt my copies of the game.

Ugh. I fucking love/hate it.

Macmanus

I have some issue with the paragraph.

It's true, you might not get an upgrade in 10 runs. However he doesn't take into account that you might have gotten items that are an upgrade for someone and can be sold on the auction house. Now that might also help is point as to what benefit does making more money have - buy better gear from the auction house or better yet use it for the smith. However there's still that positive feedback/reward for farming for gear. You did

He goes into detail about how the AH is less fun than finding the loot yourself. He's considered that you can loot something and sell it - but negates that point by stating the endorphin release for the AH isn't on par with that of directly upgrading your avatar for most people.

Essentially - the carrot is shittier.

scy

Gold find is useless when you can make millions flipping crap on the AH, tbh.

Gold Find feels more valuable pre-Inferno, really. At Inferno, it's still nice to have but I'd rather have the MF%. I've just been too lazy (/cheap) to get my DH switched over to a full MF% set.

Ferrio

Banned
Was having a great Act 4 inferno run last night. 3 elite packs down with no issues in only one area... was about to move on and maybe finally get to 5 stacks for the first time.

My internet goes down.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

I found a 750 armor helmet, most the other stats aren't too great... but how's that in terms of armor for helmets?

Yoshichan

Ugh, that sounds unbelievably boring.
I didn't expect farming to be fun in this game. I didn't have the best time of my life farming in D2 :p

Just start Queen - I want to break free and have it on repeat while farming.

DONE!

6 - change) Add gems as a requirement or option to create gear from the blacksmith to force a main stat to be rolled on the item, and slightly reduce the cost of combines (say by the vendor price of the quality of gem in question)6 - expected change) this will drastically improve the quality of items received from the blacksmith, and act as a gem sink in the game. But adding an emerald, as an example, to a recipe - it will force +dex on the item. This means the item created - while not necessarily optimal, will at least be usable in some form. This should be easily grokkable to the playerbase as the gems are already attuned each to one of the main stats.

Love this idea. Whatever quality of gem you put in it should use two gems lower grade as minimum. So if you crafted with a Regular Emerald you would at the very least get +6 as a base stat on your crafted gear. The RNG from there would only go up. If you put in a Radiant Star, you know your gear will start with no less than 50+ Dex and only go up from there.

Not only would this start to give some much needed value to the Blacksmith, it would also take some of the god damn gems out of the market that became over saturated very quickly.

scy

What goes through the mind of someone putting their item in the AH for 2 billion gold? "AHAAAA LOOK WHAT I DID?!!!" ?

40 DEX, 40 INT, 38 VIT, with a socket. 1,999,999,999 Gold.

What a deal!

The RNG from there would only go up. If you put in a Radiant Star, you know your gear will start with no less than 50+ Dex and only go up from there.

If a Radiant Star doesn't guarantee me 500 DEX on it, I probably wouldn't even think of using it like that lol. That's a ~15M price tag on a guaranteed 50 DEX.

Ferrio

Banned
So what's everyone's most hated monster?

I'm going with Terror Demons.

Invisible bastards one shot me (but what doesn't), so the only way I can beat them is if I get lucky and dodge the first hit.

RDreamer

Man, Witch Doctor is kind of fun. I'm making my way through nightmare with him. I jus got Vision Quest, too. I have gargantuan and the fetish army going whenever I can. I spirit walk and Soul Harvest big groups, and then let loose with bats or spirit barrage, and my mana never dips because of the charge on vision quest. Really fun.

TommyT

He goes into detail about how the AH is less fun than finding the loot yourself. He's considered that you can loot something and sell it - but negates that point by stating the endorphin release for the AH isn't on par with that of directly upgrading your avatar for most people.

Essentially - the carrot is shittier.

Right, and I don't disagree to an extent. Sure finding the loot yourself for an upgrade is a better carrot. However it's not like that doesn't happen. It might not happen as often as we'd like, but it happens. He mentioned that doing X runs without being rewarded was the issue. You are however being rewarded, with a carrot that doesn't taste as good.

There's a difference between having some reward over a length of time before you get an amazing reward, and getting no reward while waiting for an amazing reward. The AH and the smith are both a reward for your work; just not the one you're working so hard for.

TommyT

Was having a great Act 4 inferno run last night. 3 elite packs down with no issues in only one area... was about to move on and maybe finally get to 5 stacks for the first time.

My internet goes down.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

I found a 750 armor helmet, most the other stats aren't too great... but how's that in terms of armor for helmets?

With no +armor stat that is amazing.

Narag

So what's everyone's most hated monster?

I'm going with Terror Demons.

Invisible bastards one shot me (but what doesn't), so the only way I can beat them is if I get lucky and dodge the first hit.

Soul rippers.
Exciting fights as i am constantly panicking but I still hate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom