• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
YAY! EU servers are working flawlessly now! Doesn't take 30 seconds to create a game :3

Not if supply remains insanely high. Even if people have hundreds of millions of gold each, competition (which drives down prices on non-rare items) will keep the costs way down. Only the best stuff with the best rolls will command a premium price. The inflation on those items will be insane. We're already at the point where some stuff is absolutely worthless (I've got a 750 DPS bow up for like 10k...no one wants it. It was worth 100k+ last week) while other stuff is worth so much gold that 99.9% of everyone can't afford it.

Demand will increase as supply increases.

scy

The AH and the smith are both a reward for your work; just not the one you're working so hard for.

The amount of Blacksmithing gripes makes me wonder how many people played all of D2 without gambling. I mean, yeah, the items from the BS aren't super amazing for their combine cost for 1-59 but at least I'm guaranteed a Rare at 60, damn it. Gambling millions of Gold to get like 10 Level 5 +Light Radius blue rings is a goddamn crime; 40k for a guaranteed Rare isn't so bad in comparison :x

Ferrio

Banned
With no +armor stat that is amazing.

Oh it has +armor, I guess i don't consider that a stat hah

The amount of Blacksmithing gripes makes me wonder how many people played all of D2 without gambling. I mean, yeah, the items from the BS aren't super amazing for their combine cost but at least I'm guaranteed a Rare. Gambling millions of Gold to get like 10 Level 5 +Light Radius blue rings is a goddamn crime; 40k for a guaranteed Rare isn't so bad in comparison :x

I've been BSing myself. I found a recipe for a 2 hander sword... base dps is 400, so if I roll good I'm going to hit it big.

Seeing how i found most my items gambling in D2, this is no biggie to me.

100k gamble on a potential 10+ mil reward... ya sure.

scy

Demand will increase as supply increases.

It's more that Demand is shifting from shitty items (~700 DPS) to less shitty items (~800 DPS) to less shitty items (~900 DPS) and so on. ~900-1000 DPS will soon become the staple and sub-900 on 2H Weapons just won't be looked at, probably.

DSmalls84

It's more that Demand is shifting from shitty items (~700 DPS) to less shitty items (~800 DPS) to less shitty items (~900 DPS) and so on. ~900-1000 DPS will soon become the staple and sub-900 on 2H Weapons just won't be looked at, probably.

lol so if I'm going to move my 600 dmg/175 int Gidbinn I need to do it now to retain any value?

TommyT

The amount of Blacksmithing gripes makes me wonder how many people played all of D2 without gambling. I mean, yeah, the items from the BS aren't super amazing for their combine cost but at least I'm guaranteed a Rare. Gambling millions of Gold to get like 10 Level 5 +Light Radius blue rings is a goddamn crime; 40k for a guaranteed Rare isn't so bad in comparison :x

See I never played D1 or D2 so the smith is pretty cool to me, and I used him early on. Can he be better? Sure, but that doesn't mean he's terrible now. Right now it's just easier to farm for gold/gear and if I don't get an upgrade through gear I go buy what's an upgrade. I know the upgrades are there as I've found +57 resist all, 6x Dex, 6x Vit bracers. Far better than what I'm using and better than what I'm willing to spend in the AH.

If a Radiant Star doesn't guarantee me 500 DEX on it, I probably wouldn't even think of using it like that lol. That's a ~15M price tag on a guaranteed 50 DEX.

I was just using the numbers to reference the scaling back of the gem quality from the numbers they put in when socketed. I am am sure someone good at crunching the numbers would be able to quickly determine a system of setting the min value of the stat associated with the gem when crafting. But the core idea of gem type effecting the crafted item as well as the quality of gem effecting the +value I think is a great idea.

Cant believe online issues with their servers are affecting my SP experience...this will very likely be the last every Blizzard game I buy...what a disaster

Jrmint

Are +crit damage gems better for late game weapons as a DH than +damage?

It would seem that way to me because of Sharpshooter.

scy

lol so if I'm going to move my 600 dmg/175 int Gidbinn I need to do it now to retain any value?

At least pre-Legendary buff patch lol. Off-hand, I don't know the rest of the stats so I can'ts ay for certain but I wager a lot of people will just skip from a cheap ~500-600 DPS one-hander to the 800-ish DPS ones. Of course, I'm pulling this logic straight out of my ass and anecdotal experience.

See I never played D1 or D2 so the smith is pretty cool to me, and I used him early on. Can he be better? Sure, but that doesn't mean he's terrible now. Right now it's just easier to farm for gold/gear and if I don't get an upgrade through gear I go buy what's an upgrade. I know the upgrades are there as I've found +57 resist all, 6x Dex, 6x Vit bracers. Far better than what I'm using and better than what I'm willing to spend in the AH.

The problem with the Blacksmith is that it's just cheaper to AH things than it is to use him. He has a lot of use at 60, though, especially with the 6 Affix plans (which I need to get to farming for, hm). I've made things with him that sold for 300k+ (hell, a pair of gloves sold for 1.5M and only cost me 43k to make) so it's not like he can't make GOOD items. He can. Level 60 plans will net you a 4 Affix Rare with Inferno mods.

Gambling is gambling. It just sucks that he's not incredibly useful for 1-60 when it's obvious that Blizzard wanted him to be.

I was just using the numbers to reference the scaling back of the gem quality from the numbers they put in when socketed. I am am sure someone good at crunching the numbers would be able to quickly determine a system of setting the min value of the stat associated with the gem when crafting. But the core idea of gem type effecting the crafted item as well as the quality of gem effecting the +value I think is a great idea.

Yeah, the core idea is great. I was just saying that it needs to be ridiculous at the high-end. I imagine a lot of people will just throw Flawless Squares at it since they're so damn common. Maybe basic Star Gems if the upgrade is worth it.

That guys ideas are terrible for everyone who cant play diablo as a massive time sink. I dont get many hours of the week to farm for items. But i will be able to buy gold to buy items from the AH.

Play, hit wall, go to AH buy item continue playing
his ideas are
Play, hit wall, farm, farm, farm, continue progressing

Right now im pleased with the game though i am only level 47. I have had some decent drops that i equipped but i would not be having as much fun if i was stuck with gimped gear because i didnt spend hours finding it.

TommyT

The problem with the Blacksmith is that it's just cheaper to AH things than it is to use him. He has a lot of use at 60, though, especially with the 6 Affix plans (which I need to get to farming for, hm). I've made things with him that sold for 300k+ (hell, a pair of gloves sold for 1.5M and only cost me 43k to make) so it's not like he can't make GOOD items. He can. Level 60 plans will net you a 4 Affix Rare with Inferno mods.

Gambling is gambling. It just sucks that he's not incredibly useful for 1-60 when it's obvious that Blizzard wanted him to be.

These exist? That would make him even better! ... and you can farm specifically for them?!

Macmanus

Right, and I don't disagree to an extent. Sure finding the loot yourself for an upgrade is a better carrot. However it's not like that doesn't happen. It might not happen as often as we'd like, but it happens. He mentioned that doing X runs without being rewarded was the issue. You are however being rewarded, with a carrot that doesn't taste as good.

The reward is muted and minimal, and really only enables you to gamble once again on the AH - a resource that isn't as much fun (based on his theory - I love the AH).

As far as actually finding loot that we can equip and utilize - outside of normal - and only if you choose not to use the AH - it's an incredibly rare experience.

For myself personally I've found one thing past level 20 that I've instantly equipped on a character. For reference I have at least 200 hrs of play time at this point.

That is so far removed from anything I experience in Diablo 2.

scy

These exist? That would make him even better! ... and you can farm specifically for them?!

Target them, probably not. Just general MF% farming. It's just that they don't drop until Act 3 (4?) Inferno. Act 1 just gets you the 4 Affix plans of mild disappointment.

DSmalls84

At least pre-Legendary buff patch lol. Off-hand, I don't know the rest of the stats so I can'ts ay for certain but I wager a lot of people will just skip from a cheap ~500-600 DPS one-hander to the 800-ish DPS ones. Of course, I'm pulling this logic straight out of my ass and anecdotal experience.

Yeah, the core idea is great. I was just saying that it needs to be ridiculous at the high-end. I imagine a lot of people will just throw Flawless Squares at it since they're so damn common. Maybe basic Star Gems if the upgrade is worth it.

I will probably just try to auction off the couple legendary weapons I have pretty soon anyway. It Seems pointless to pay the premium over magic and rare items when they are buffing them. It is still disappointing that I could get a magic offhand that does close to 1000 dmg more than my Uhkapian Serpent for 1/3 the price. I was thinking that the serpent and Gidbinn would be the premium WD gear to own like Humonculous in D2 was.

Orcastar

Yesterday was error 37, today it's stuck retrieveing my hero list. And I'm not even enjoying the game very much when I do get to play it.

I'm starting to regret my purchase.

LogicStep

Can you guys tell me if these would fetch a decent amount on the AH? They seem decent except no resist all :(

kTrGn.jpg

wwpmU.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
6 stat-equipment from the BS?

Each hit adds +7 life
Regenerates 16 life per second
3 yards health glove pick up
Frost Nova deals 0.7% more damage (Wizard only)
Level reduction on items reduced by 3
Melee attackers take 12 damage per hit

Fuck yeah.

Macmanus

The amount of Blacksmithing gripes makes me wonder how many people played all of D2 without gambling. I mean, yeah, the items from the BS aren't super amazing for their combine cost for 1-59 but at least I'm guaranteed a Rare at 60, damn it. Gambling millions of Gold to get like 10 Level 5 +Light Radius blue rings is a goddamn crime; 40k for a guaranteed Rare isn't so bad in comparison :x

Do you remember D1 or D2? Do you remember how useful gold was? Gambling as well as repair were literally the only things you'd use gold for. Gambling wasn't even technically gambling because you had nothing to lose.

Gold has actual value in D3.

TommyT

The reward is muted and minimal, and really only enables you to gamble once again on the AH - a resource that isn't as much fun (based on his theory - I love the AH).

As far as actually finding loot that we can equip and utilize - outside of normal - and only if you choose not to use the AH - it's an incredibly rare experience.

For myself personally I've found one thing past level 20 that I've instantly equipped on a character. For reference I have at least 200 hrs of play time at this point.

That is so far removed from anything I experience in Diablo 2.

With the first point I'd disagree, especially if there are plans that give you more than 4 attributes. As Scy mentioned it's gambling. No different really than farming for loot. The monster you kill you're betting will give you better loot, otherwise you wouldn't kill it. At least with the smith you're guaranteed a rare. From that, can you get a minimal upgrade? Sure, but you can get crap or something amazing.

Again I don't know how it was with D2, but I can't say if more upgrades should drop or how they are now is the 'better' system. I know they're out there, and as you said it's rare, but that's one of the things that keeps me killing monsters.

WallJump

Banned
That guys ideas are terrible for everyone who cant play diablo as a massive time sink. I dont get many hours of the week to farm for items. But i will be able to buy gold to buy items from the AH.

his ideas are

Right now im pleased with the game though i am only level 47. I have had some decent drops that i equipped but i would not be having as much fun if i was stuck with gimped gear because i didnt spend hours finding it.

His first suggestion was to improve drop rates and quality of drops. Farming would be more fun if you were getting good stuff a bit more often (not to mention you'd have to do less of it).

scy

I will probably just try to auction off the couple legendary weapons I have pretty soon anyway. It Seems pointless to pay the premium over magic and rare items when they are buffing them. It is still disappointing that I could get a magic offhand that does close to 1000 dmg more than my Uhkapian Serpent for 1/3 the price. I was thinking that the serpent and Gidbinn would be the premium WD gear to own like Humonculous in D2 was.

I paid ~300k for the Lidless Wall Shield since, hey, Attack Speed! On a Shield! It even has ~80 VIT/INT!

About 20 minutes later, I got a ~70 AvgDmg Off-Hand with 80 INT/VIT that is 3k better DPS :( I decided that my WD alt will eventually reach 60 if only so I can get some more mileage out of the damn thing.

his ideas are

He did mention higher drops rates. He only wants a better balance. I mean ... if you got into a Diablo game without any intention of farming gear, you're doing it wrong. As it stands the acution house at the very least breaks both forms of crafting. I'm completing them, because I like to complete stuff. It's not usefull though. At worst its breaking the itemization/reward system that everyone has always loved with Diablo as well.

Because gold was worthless in D2. Gold is far from useless as long as the gold AH exists, and there is no reason to gamble on the very remote possibility of good rares from the blacksmith when you can spend gold on the AH and be guaranteed exactly what you wanted.

TommyT

Can you guys tell me if these would fetch a decent amount on the AH? They seem decent except no resist all :(

Define decent? You can either get vendor for them, salvage them, or sell them for more than you would vendor them for. Best bet is to find comparables on the AH and see what they're going for then undercut for a fast sell.

Chest - I'd put it up for 30k starting 50k buyout without looking at other items. Will sell fast.
Bracers - 25k with a 30k buyout.

Move them fast so they're not sitting there for 2 days.

Probably not much.

It sucks big time because those would be excellent items for my level (i'm around level 45), but the way diablo 3 works is that even if the item is not absolutely great, the level restriction is there, which renders most items useless :/ if the level restriction wasn't there, you could probably find people willing to pay a little bit for it.

Define decent? You can either get vendor for them, salvage them, or sell them for more than you would vendor them for. Best bet is to find comparables on the AH and see what they're going for then undercut for a fast sell.

Chest - I'd put it up for 30k starting 50k buyout without looking at other items. Will sell fast.
Bracers - 25k with a 30k buyout.

Move them fast so they're not sitting there for 2 days.

That's what I do, lol.

I have like 5 auctions going on right now for like 10, 15k. THere's always somebody looking for semi-decent cheap items and I always make more than selling it or salvaging it.

To those of you doing Dank Cellar farming, how are you doing it? Someone mentioned getting about 10k per run, I'm lucky to get 1k. Granted I only have 70% GF, but still that shouldn't be a factor of 10 difference. Is it the one northwest of the Old Ruins waypoint, or is there another one with the elite yellow quill field mobs?

Yoshichan

Guys, I'm starting to suspect that if my Hydra kills the enemy, then my MF/GF isn't calculated with that kill... tried it out in the cellar, let the Hydra kill everything and got a lot less than I usually get...

scy

Do you remember D1 or D2? Do you remember how useful gold was? Gambling as well as repair were literally the only things you'd use gold for. Gambling wasn't even technically gambling because you had nothing to lose.

Gold has actual value in D3.

True. Gold has value for the AH. And D2 also had easier gold to get due to the value of vendoring items.

Not going to get much at all, the no resist all kills it.

One With Everything lets those resists be +All if they're being stacked. And +100 Armor (from the STR) isn't the worst thing ever. Especially with three sockets and -4% Melee Damage.

Edit:

Because gold was worthless in D2. Gold is far from useless as long as the gold AH exists, and there is no reason to gamble on the very remote possibility of good rares from the blacksmith when you can spend gold on the AH and be guaranteed exactly what you wanted.

I think the AH existing at least lets you recover some of your Gambling losses better which at least widens your possible hits from "Something good for me" to "Something good."

I don't think Blacksmithing is completely worthless; it needs improvements, yes, but it's still serviceable at 60 for generating items to use/sell.

RS4-

To those of you doing Dank Cellar farming, how are you doing it? Someone mentioned getting about 10k per run, I'm lucky to get 1k. Granted I only have 70% GF, but still that shouldn't be a factor of 10 difference. Is it the one northwest of the Old Ruins waypoint, or is there another one with the elite yellow quill field mobs?

I wish I was getting 10k. I'm maybe getting on avg around 3-5k or so. This is with 134GF or so (I'd get 150 but I wanted to try and do it with 30% MF lol)

In 10 mins I got 40k give or take with 2 rares and nothing worth keeping.

jinutsu

Neo Member
Guys, I'm starting to suspect that if my Hydra kills the enemy, then my MF/GF isn't calculated with that kill... tried it out in the cellar, let the Hydra kill everything and got a lot less than I usually get...

Report that! If it's true I'm screwed because I right click my hydra to assist with almost every battle and I'm sure it lands the killing blow a lot.

LordCanti

Did they hotfix the dank cellar? Four times in a row, and no open cellar.

My ah is locked out with items that won't sell cheap and I only have 500k that should go to a new dps set for act 1 inferno....

Sell stuff on forums. You can meet in game and just trade.

Honestly, I'm kind of shocked that trading is in. You'd be crazy to list something and take a 15% gold hit in the AH when you could just auction it on a forum and then meet in game.

TommyT

One With Everything lets those resists be +All if they're being stacked. And +100 Armor (from the STR) isn't the worst thing ever. Especially with three sockets and -4% Melee Damage.

Mathematically they're better than they seem, but that won't help them fetch a higher price imo. The time it takes for someone to realize how useful it is at that higher price will probably take longer than the 2 day limit :lol.

Need to sell on perception. 50k 3s chest with str and vit with a 2d time left?! Gotta get that shit before anyone else! BUY BUY BUY!
Error: Bid failed. Oh, item isn't that great - pass.

Deadly

If you're doing cellar runs pop out archon mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom