• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Depends on who you ask, I guess. I think he has value for getting to gamble on Inferno-tier loot. Since you can AH things that are good (but not for you), the cost isn't so bad since you have a decent chance of getting something usable or better.

Of the ~400k I've spent on random items being made, I've made about 2.2M from him? Anecdotal and heavily skewed since it was just three really good items (~1.5M, ~400k, ~500k items).

Pre-Inferno, just not worth it too much with how easy (or just how fast you level out of equipment) Normal - Hell are for the most part.

yea, spend a grand or two crafting a yellow item which turns out to be crap for you. but sell on AH for more money and you lose nothing.

Blacksmith is not useful period. By the time you roll something useful, you'd have spent a fortune. Crafting is overpriced.

Same with jeweler, crafting anything lower than flawless square gem is a waste of gold.

And past that becomes absurdly expensive very fast due to the exponential growth in prices, but sadly the only way to get anything past flawless square.

Blacksmith is not useful period.

False. For instance, if you're at inferno and you can't find what you need on the AH for a reasonable price, and you have a +6 magic props recipe, crafting is worth it.

I was having difficulty finding wizard belts (while gloves were in oversupply) so crafted a bunch, made a pretty penny and a usable belt.

Depends on who you ask, I guess. I think he has value for getting to gamble on Inferno-tier loot. Since you can AH things that are good (but not for you), the cost isn't so bad since you have a decent chance of getting something usable or better.

Of the ~400k I've spent on random items being made, I've made about 2.2M from him? Anecdotal and heavily skewed since it was just three really good items (~1.5M, ~400k, ~500k items).

Pre-Inferno, just not worth it too much with how easy (or just how fast you level out of equipment) Normal - Hell are for the most part.

understood. I'll keep an eye on this one as the patch makes changes to him.

False. For instance, if you're at inferno and you can't find what you need on the AH for a reasonable price, and you have a +6 magic props recipe, crafting is worth it.

I was having difficulty finding wizard belts (while gloves were in oversupply) so crafted a bunch, made a pretty penny and a usable belt.

I made 2 million on 3 bracer crafts. Every single one rolled +50 or more All Resist with other non-terrible stats. And this was only with the 4 affix recipe.

zlatko

Banned
Wait seriously? Oh thank god! Finally all those essence I build up through all my play through's will finally pay off!

I always knew investing in the blacksmith was a smart idea ;)

Especially since you can craft legendary's with him!

Yeah there was no way they were just going to leave him to suck. Him and the jewel man are going to only get better as time goes on.

I'm almost to level 8 on mine.

scy

Ah, thanks for the advice. From what I've seen the last few pages you guys dont seem to like AH that much. Strangely, AH is one of the best things about this for me right now. I love going on and finding items that are way better than my current ones for cheap (5000 max every time) and then selling my old ones for just as much. Makes me feel good

Also, is it just me or does nobody sell gems on AH? I search for every type of cut and color but I get none. I want a square or higher ruby...

I don't mind the AH, it's just that the economy that took form around it had items priced really, really low which made buying things from it just better alternatives than ... well, everything else in the game for equipment. It's a little different at 60 but not much.

As for Gems, they've been removed for the time being.

Yeah there was no way they were just going to leave him to suck. Him and the jewel man are going to only get better as time goes on.

I'm almost to level 8 on mine.

Yep, jewelcrafting will be better in 1.0.3, too. 2 gems to upgrade to the next level instead of 3, and I think the gold cost is being reduced as well.

scy

I made 2 million on 3 bracer crafts. Every single one rolled +50 or more All Resist with other non-terrible stats. And this was only with the 4 affix recipe.

Yeah, I feel like I should clarify: The items I sold were from the 4 affix recipe so it was only ~43k a pop. If I need to replace a slot, have the mats, and feel like risking it, it's not a terrible option. Especially when my upgrades are those 1M+ costing AH items anyway.

Yep, jewelcrafting will be better in 1.0.3, too. 2 gems to upgrade to the next level instead of 3, and I think the gold cost is being reduced as well.

Only up to Flawless Square, which for those you can just find them on the ground in Inferno. They're not changing anything post Flawless Square, which is where it's the most expensive.

Cipherr

I plan to dump about 500k in 6 attribute BS makes once the freaking commodities AH goes back up and I can buy a 6 recipe plan for him.

Im just going to gamble and see how I do.

Only up to Flawless Square, which for those you can just find them on the ground in Inferno. They're not changing anything post Flawless Square, which is where it's the most expensive.

Is this true? Ive been holding gems waiting on the change, but if it wont effect high level gems then...

Ashhong

I don't mind the AH, it's just that the economy that took form around it had items priced really, really low which made buying things from it just better alternatives than ... well, everything else in the game for equipment. It's a little different at 60 but not much.

True, when I first discovered the wonderful prices of AH, I almost felt like I was cheating because I was getting so buff for so little.

Oh no wonder, thanks :)

inky

so he's worth upgrading at level 60/inferno?

For me he wasn't. Blew 800k-1 mill + mats on him trying to get a better shield than my current one (bought for super cheap) and didn't get shit. I did get a couple of good bracer rolls 60+ resist all + main stat that sold for 600k each so YMMV. In the end even with that couple of items I'm still behind on money spent vs gained. Might be worth it once you have like 20 million and some good plans like set items or good legendaries to sell around.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That's not true. I rolled through all of Hell without soul harvest. I'm currently toying with it again, but might switch it out.

That's sort of gimping yourself tho. With 5 souls + gruesome feast passive my DPS doubles.

We're talking double damage here - you can run without it if you chose but the cost is massive

Dahbomb

I noticed people farming the very start of Act 4 where all those shadow demons and Diablo's minion attack you from all sides.

Any reason why people pick this spot? Also some of those people might be bots from the look of things.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Somewhere in this thread I was reading that the built in FXAA this game provides is shit and is causing the blurred look. They mentioned turning that off and somehow forcing AAX8 or whatever you want.

Checked out the nvidia control panel and set AAX8 as a global setting but it doesn't work.

Any tips?

Shouta

I hope the new Blacksmithing costs are nice and cheap, assuming they lower the costs. I have several Grand Exalted recipes that could produce some nice things if I tried them more.

Is this true? Ive been holding gems waiting on the change, but if it wont effect high level gems then...

Here's the precise quote from the blog post:

Other areas of concern have been both the gem combination system and Blacksmith leveling and crafting costs. The intent, especially with the Blacksmith, is that he’s leveling with you, you’re able to use him as an alternate source for upgrades. Our design goal is that once you get to level 60, his recipes are actually good enough to help fill a character’s potential itemization gaps. To correct these issues, we’re looking to adjust the Blacksmith costs for training (gold and pages) and crafting from levels 1-59, and reduce the cost of combining gems so that it only requires two gems instead of three (up to Flawless Square). Both of these changes are scheduled for patch 1.0.3.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6018173/Game_Design_Update-5_28_2012#blog

Shouta said:
I hope the new Blacksmithing costs are nice and cheap, assuming they lower the costs. I have several Grand Exalted recipes that could produce some nice things if I tried them more.
High level recipes aren't getting any cheaper. See the above quoted passage.

Dizzy-4U

Took me 18 tries at the caverns of frost to finally get Chiltara to show up and give me the drop. I hope the plans aren't this hard to get.

Deadly

I noticed people farming the very start of Act 4 where all those shadow demons and Diablo's minion attack you from all sides.

Any reason why people pick this spot? Also some of those people might be bots from the look of things.
Iskatu? That seems like a rather difficult and not very rewarding boss to farm...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How much were the Infernal Crafting Ingredients going for when the Commodities market worked? I have been smelting down all my Level 60 Blues for the last few days and have a decentish amount.

Oh, minor tip, while for most equipment only Level 60 items will give Infernal Ingredients, Level 59 Rings and Amulets will also do it.

Edit: Max Auction House time has been reduced to 36 hours. Thats something.

scy

I don't think they are lowering the costs. The price isn't bad, per se, it's that the AH is so cheap compared to that cost. Kind of seems like Blizzard had this planned that the gamble cost of blacksmithing would determine market price but that didn't happen. Or maybe it still will just ... eventually.

I need to double check that all the Blacksmithing recipes are least the best base item tiers.

cilonen

In turn, that's mostly a function of npc's offering you little more than a kick in the balls for loot. I know that's always been the Diablo way, but people are going to dump good loot on the AH for just a couple thousand more than vendor and think 'Yes, I got a couple thousand for it' rather than 'I just got ridiculously lowballed for the stats on that'.

Hopefully the value inherent in the stat bonuses will start to be realised and stabilise (how much is an extra 50 dex worth, for example?) but it'll take a while.

Cipherr

Iskatu? That seems like a rather difficult and not very rewarding boss to farm...

On the lower difficulties its not hard at all. I did it on my DH in NM I think a few times to finish off levels. But there have been much better methods and places to farm for a long time now.

inky

With a password like that I wonder how he didn't his shit stolen sooner, lol.

I don't think they are lowering the costs. The price isn't bad, per se, it's that the AH is so cheap compared to that cost. Kind of seems like Blizzard had this planned that the gamble cost of blacksmithing would determine market price but that didn't happen. Or maybe it still will just ... eventually.

I need to double check that all the Blacksmithing recipes are least the best base item tiers.

It's like they didn't anticipate that millions of people would drop hundreds of millions of items with much better rolls than what the blacksmith would ever produce for a single person. Sometimes you wonder what the fuck were they thinking (other than predicting how much money they would make of the RMAH).

SGRU

I'm really tired of this now... This game is broken, they should start a refund program now, seriously.

The other thing to consider is that there's not as much gold in circulation. As the game lasts longer and longer, there will just be more gold all around, for everyone, while the blacksmith and jeweler costs remain the same. Sure, rich people will have 200m instead of 20m like they do now, but either way, the Blacksmithing costs won't look so bad anymore.

They just extended maintenance by 1 hour.
Update 11:40 p.m. PDT: We are extending maintenance by 1 hour. We currently anticipate that all servers will available by approximately 1:00 p.m. PDT.

Also, patch notes.
Diablo III Patch 1.0.2a – v.1.0.2.9858

General
Tooltips for the following class abilities have been updated to reflect changes made in patch 1.0.2 and previous hotfixes:
Demon Hunter
Smoke Screen (Skill Rune – Lingering Fog)
Monk
Fists of Thunder (Skill Rune – Quickening)
Mantra of Healing (Skill Rune – Boon of Inspiration)
Wizard
Energy Armor (Skill Rune – Force Armor)
Nigel Cutthroat has recently fallen on hard times and will now drop lower quality items when slain
Gold and quest experience rewards for replaying "Heart of Sin: Get the Soul of Azmodan" have been reduced
Gold and quest experience rewards for replaying "Heart of Sin: Go to the Keep" have been removed

Auction House
The maximum duration for posted auctions has been reduced from 48 hours to 36 hours

Ketch

I think a nice fix for the blacksmith would be if they allowed you to include gems or other lower tier pieces of equipment with mats required for the recipe to help dictate the stats on the new gear.

OR when you broke down a piece of gear the materials it created randomly kept some portion of the stats the equipment had... so you break down your chest piece with 100 int, 50 vitality, and a socket and the essence you get has chance of being like +10 int essence or +5 vit essence, and the gold horn or tooth or eye or whatever has a chance to retain the "has socket" suffix. Then when you go to craft something if you include like 15 +10 int essence your new item has +150 int on it... and then they can cap it or randomize it or whatever else they want to do to make sure it's balanced...

Of course they'll never do that because it would require like a rework of the whole system and make the AH relatively useless

Ferrio

Banned
Ya BS isn't bad at end game at all. Like I said 100k gamble on a 450 base dps two handed sword isn't bad. You get a good roll and you'll come out making good money.

Also the mats to make it take a bit to accumulate, so isn't like I'm throwing 100k x 10 down in a couple mins.

The maximum duration for posted auctions has been reduced from 48 hours to 36 hours

Nice.

GJS

Diablo III Patch Notes
Diablo III Patch 1.0.2a – v.1.0.2.9858

General
Tooltips for the following class abilities have been updated to reflect changes made in patch 1.0.2 and previous hotfixes:
Demon Hunter
Smoke Screen (Skill Rune – Lingering Fog)
Monk
Fists of Thunder (Skill Rune – Quickening)
Mantra of Healing (Skill Rune – Boon of Inspiration)
Wizard
Energy Armor (Skill Rune – Force Armor)
Nigel Cutthroat has recently fallen on hard times and will now drop lower quality items when slain
Gold and quest experience rewards for replaying "Heart of Sin: Get the Soul of Azmodan" have been reduced
Gold and quest experience rewards for replaying "Heart of Sin: Go to the Keep" have been removed

Auction House

Global play will be broken with EU again until EU updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom