• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

I spent two solid days farming NM Act 3 to get him. I don't mean an hour a day. I mean two days of almost the entire time I played the game to get this mob to spawn. Only after offering to pay a lot of gold in General did someone else find him and invite me into their game to get that fucking pebble.

At least 50+ runs on the Caverns of Frost. I had two full inventories of un-IDed yellows and ended up making over 400K from those runs.

My luck in this game is just really horrible in every aspect.

A friend of mine spent an entire evening running it non-stop and I used it as an excuse to leech EXP (on that note, +EXP/kill is glorious on alts). Didn't get the drop. I started up the next morning to finish up Act 3 NM, saw the cave and decided to run it one more time and got it.

...still haven't gotten the rest of the stuff for the staff. Mostly because I don't care, I guess.

WallJump

Banned
Any solo-wizards out there that are willing to share their build? I'm curious what skills you guys are all rolling with. I'm currently playing through nightmare and it's been okay, but far from optimal.

MELEEEEEE

(Not doing Critical Mass build until I have problems with this one)

There are definitely some runes I could swap out. I should probably take shortened cooldowns on Frost Nova and Diamond Skin but the ones I have are a bit on the swingier side and I like that. I run lots of Life on Hit (yay AH) so Spectral Blade/Explosive Blast/Arcane Orb AOE do a lot to keep up my HP. But I'm lvl 44 or 45 or so in act 3 of NM and I am hanging in there pretty well.

Ferrio

Banned
Sarcasm? Or has Blizzard trained their customer base just that well?

Yep we're all viral marketers for the 6 dollar fob. Blizzard pays me enough to buy a bigmac every 2 weeks.

Jesus christ, just want our fellow players to be protected. I'm tired of trying to warn people if people are going to get defensive about it.

theta11

It's his tanking that I'll think they'll nerf. Or they'll make him despawn unless you're in certain areas.

I don't think they can do much other than make him despawn if you die but that actually seems difficult given the followers work. Can't really do much with his tanking because that's mostly with the monster's AI.

Macmanus

A friend of mine spent an entire evening running it non-stop and I used it as an excuse to leech EXP (on that note, +EXP/kill is glorious on alts). Didn't get the drop. I started up the next morning to finish up Act 3 NM, saw the cave and decided to run it one more time and got it.

...still haven't gotten the rest of the stuff for the staff. Mostly because I don't care, I guess.

+EXP is the only way I roll with alts.

Staff: Everything else is painfully easy by comparison. I put in maybe 4 Izzy runs for the plans. Everything else was either first or second try.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If anyone here doesn't have an auth and have it set to use it everytime you log in, you will get hacked sooner or later and it will be your fault

Bullshit. It will prompt you for your authenticator code everytime it detects that you are logging in from a different IP, it won't bother you much otherwise.

Gotchaye

Am I understanding MF correctly? The specific number and kinds of items dropped (axe or helmet, ilvl 60 or ilvl 61) are based only on the monster in question (mlvl and then whether it's an elite or boss or chest or barrel). Then MF determines the quality of the item, so that if with 0% MF you have a 1% chance of a drop being a rare, 100% MF gives you a 2% chance that it's a rare. Elites seem to guarantee some number of blues, and I assume they have a higher-than-normal chance of dropping rares. Does 100% MF double the number of rares found from elites? How worthwhile is it to carry around a bunch of MF gear and swap to them all right before you kill the last of an elite group?

Also, why do I find tons and tons of hand crossbows and quivers but never wands and sources?

scy

I don't think they can do much other than make him despawn if you die but that actually seems difficult given the followers work. Can't really do much with his tanking because that's mostly with the monster's AI.

Give him some HP so he doesn't tank forever?

+EXP is the only way I roll with alts.

So good. Makes the last bits of the grind not so bad and then just get rushed to the next difficulty.

Staff: Everything else is painfully easy by comparison. I put in maybe 4 Izzy runs for the plans. Everything else was either first or second try.

Out of like 7 Izual kills, I've seen the plans drop 6 times.

Aesthet1c

If anyone here doesn't have an auth and have it set to use it everytime you log in, you will get hacked sooner or later and it will be your fault

I don't believe this is true. When Blizzard first implemented this feature in WoW, they stated that the reason it doesn't authenticate you every time is because it recognizes your IP address. If you were to try and log in from a different IP, it would require an authenticator code.

HenryHSH

Athene has the same pass for pretty much all his accounts dafuq

MY STEAM ACCOUNT!

I like how they all yell out all these possible accounts instead of putting the stream down and making sure he changes everything without yelling out a service he's registered to before checking on it.

Good thing steam has good protection (which blizzard should adopt)

Staab

Lol poor Athene, that's really messed up, he's gonna spend two days trying to change his password everywhere, haha.

WallJump

Banned
Am I understanding MF correctly? The specific number and kinds of items dropped (axe or helmet, ilvl 60 or ilvl 61) are based only on the monster in question (mlvl and then whether it's an elite or boss or chest or barrel). Then MF determines the quality of the item, so that if with 0% MF you have a 1% chance of a drop being a rare, 100% MF gives you a 2% chance that it's a rare. Elites seem to guarantee some number of blues, and I assume they have a higher-than-normal chance of dropping rares. Does 100% MF double the number of rares found from elites? How worthwhile is it to carry around a bunch of MF gear and swap to them all right before you kill the last of an elite group?

Also, why do I find tons and tons of hand crossbows and quivers but never wands and sources?

I was under the impression that MF boosted both the rate of drops and the quality of the drops (as in, better rolls for affixes/more affixes).

Boken

Banned
I believe its people who have had an auth active for a long time are the group that has not been hacked (both auth once a week or every time)

Insaniac

Any solo-wizards out there that are willing to share their build? I'm curious what skills you guys are all rolling with. I'm currently playing through nightmare and it's been okay, but far from optimal.

For NM i had a lot of fun with this build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZRSTjl!YWX!bYZZaZ

You can cast ray of frost nearly free with this build (The rune in the website says it reduces RoF to cost 0 but in-game it reduces it to 12 arcane power).

Hydra is a very arcane-power to damage efficient spell, just cast and let it work its magic. If you haven't got frost hydra yet, arcane hydra is good with its slight AOE attack.

blizzard is used to slow enemies and deal good AOE damage

the other 3 spells are there to buff damage / reduces arcane costs

If you aren't good at dodging / kiting you can replace Familiar with Diamond skin. Combined with the slowing of the cold damage you should be fine.

the passive are there to max out your DPS

the way I play is I drop a blizzard and hydra right in the middle of the group and start blasting with ray of frost. If the enemies are beefy then I will kite and drop blizzarfds/hydras in their path to snare them and use RoF when I can.

Jinko

The problem with gems and jewelcrafting is that gems will drop like candy during the play through so the cost simply outweighs any benefit, its easier to farm them.

I duno how this works in Inferno as I'm still stuck on Act 1, are you required to craft past perfect square gems ?

I've just upgraded my jewelcrafter to radiant square and its 40k a gem :S

scosher

I've tried a bunch of builds, even one with Arcane Twister. The most effective one I found was Arcane Orb + Arcane Hydra w/ Temporal Flux passive. If you have enough AP regen (especially AP on crit), you can get by even without a signature spell. Although my favorite signature spells to pair with this build is Shock Pulse (Piercing Orb) to deal with ranged attackers that Arcane Orb simply doesn't reach because of it's lack of piercing (unless you opt to take the rune for it). Great part about the build is that it not only does good dps, but you can literally deal with any type of situation. AoE, kiting w/ snares, hydra around corners/walls.

I've settled on Teleport (Fracture) and Diamond Skin as my preferred defensive abilities. Teleport with Illusionist passive is seriously all I really need when kiting with this build with Diamond Skin mostly as a backup. Last 2 skills are reserved for Force Weapon and Energy Armor, or swapping in one for a signature spell.

Gotchaye

I was under the impression that MF boosted both the rate of drops and the quality of the drops (as in, better rolls for affixes/more affixes).

Huh, so you're saying that MF makes your yellows better as well as giving you more yellows. In that case +100% MF should more than double the rate at which you find good stuff. Does anyone have something more solid on that?

J0dy77

Searched the thread and didn't see this posted:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/31/korean-government-raids-blizzard-over-diablo-3-complaints/

Korean government raided Blizzard's Seoul offices.

"The FTC says it suspects Blizzard of violating Korean law on electronic commerce and commercial contracts, and it gathered documents and other evidence relevant to its investigation in the raid. Some Korean players were frustrated with Diablo 3's server issues at launch and asked for refunds, which Blizzard denied, citing its sales contract terms, The Korea Times reports. The FTC considers these terms to be disadvantageous to players.

"We have received many complaints from Diablo 3 users," FTC spokesman Kim Hyung-bae says."

Things are getting really bad for Blizzard. I normally have a ton of faith in them and I know that the first few days of release usually go away pretty quickly, but this is getting awful. I've lost a lot of faith in them as a developer after this release.

Ferrio

Banned
The problem with gems and jewelcrafting is that gems will drop like candy during the play through so the cost simply outweighs any benefit, its easier to farm them.

I duno how this works in Inferno as I'm still stuck on Act 1, are you required to craft past perfect square gems ?

Yes.

HenryHSH

Athene is showing on the stream when he "fucked up" if anyone missed it.
KuGsj.gif

http://www.athenelive.com/stream/42146/?Athene

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, how are you all fairing in Infernal? Act I is a Cake Walk with my 12k DPS Tanky Wizard (With Energy Armor on, about 6000 Armor and an average of 500 Resist, plus Diamond Skin and Teleport to tank a bit and get out of tight spots), but Act II still hits too hard.

Who's Nigel cutthroat?

Thieves Guild Guy. I guess he gave good loot.

Thats fair, provided that advice doesn't sound like this:

But that statement is true?? As with anything with life, If you know about something or the risks involved with not doing something... and you are too lazy or (god knows why you wouldn't really) don't want to get an authenticator.... I'm in the camp that TRULY doesn't give a flying shit if you suffer the consequences... That person can place the blame on others all they want, but it's their own 'inaction that caused the hack...

Sure blizzard should have better security! Without a doubt my friend... BUT if you know there are problems, and there is something very easy you can do to protect yourself... sorry but, get the authenticator, or enjoy being hacked!

Cagey

Banned
Anyone else finding Inferno to be way more difficult with extra people in the game? I know the 115% HP add-on, but it feels like the game strongly discourages gaming with buddies. The difficulty spike (from what I experienced) is going from 2 people to 3.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Picked this up a few days ago, when I finally got my pc built. I'm loving every bit of it. Except one thing.

There really needs to be an appear offline mode. I'm tired of dealing with "wtf man, why don't you want play together" bullshit. Sometimes (when I'm hungover on the weekend) I just want to eat a huge breakfast and play solo.

Searched the thread and didn't see this posted:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/31/korean-government-raids-blizzard-over-diablo-3-complaints/

Korean government raided Blizzard's Seoul offices.

"The FTC says it suspects Blizzard of violating Korean law on electronic commerce and commercial contracts, and it gathered documents and other evidence relevant to its investigation in the raid. Some Korean players were frustrated with Diablo 3's server issues at launch and asked for refunds, which Blizzard denied, citing its sales contract terms, The Korea Times reports. The FTC considers these terms to be disadvantageous to players.

"We have received many complaints from Diablo 3 users," FTC spokesman Kim Hyung-bae says."

Things are getting really bad for Blizzard. I normally have a ton of faith in them and I know that the first few days of release usually go away pretty quickly, but this is getting awful. I've lost a lot of faith in them as a developer after this release.

Wowwww. That's...extreme.

Picked this up a few days ago, when I finally got my pc built. I'm loving every bit of it. Except one thing.

There really needs to be an appear offline mode. I'm tired of dealing with "wtf man, why don't you want play together" bullshit. Sometimes (when I'm hungover on the weekend) I just want to eat a huge breakfast and play solo.

You can set your status to busy or away in the friends menu. Works for me! Well...most of the time.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone else finding Inferno to be way more difficult with extra people in the game? I know the 115% HP add-on, but it feels like the game strongly discourages gaming with buddies. The difficulty spike (from what I experienced) is going from 2 people to 3.

It does greatly.

They need to tone down monsters in group play. Having a group has no added benefit.

DarkKyo

I just beat the Skeleton King solo in Act I and I have all flawless square gems. I'm having a pretty easy time so far, only died maybe 2-3 times by now.

KKRT00

Is there any list of Gaffers on Inferno? :>

I would love to party, because solo runs are boring and slow, but i can only do act 1 right now as a Monk ;\ If someone has good dps, i could probably go to act 2 and tank a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom