• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
Particularly when the price of gold being sold was soaring due to RMAH delay.

Right; this is their chance to get it without possible legal action from Blizzard due to entanglements with the RMAH, so that part makes sense at least.

:lol Right, sure they're not

They're really not. It comes with free shipping in the US, and a physical key fob costs a lot more if you buy it 3rd party. They almost certainly take a loss on the actual device, but make up for it with reduced CS costs.

That's not to say that I think their response has been adequate. They should have made a more concerted effort to spread awareness amongst their consumers and known that D3 launch would provide a very tempting target for hackers. A steam guard type email verification should also be standard, though I don't think that's as secure as people are making It out to be, because a keylogger can easily compromise your email as well.

Sothpaw

Calculated... to what ends... sell 6 dollar items they ship for free? Ya activision is evil, but I think they could come up with something better than that.

It's a new game with 6 million players, many who probably are using bad passwords, passwords that have been compromized from other systems, or have keyloggers. Of course there's going to be tons of reports.

Blizzard would likely pay many millions of dollars to just have the account security issues go away.

Realyn

I just killed
magda
on hell and so far it's ... piss easy ? Is there some spot where it gets seriously harder or wut?

My stats

NrhC6.jpg

My items aren't even good. Only have a 320 or so dps 1h. I have heard of lvl 56 sc weapons with 1000k dps? How the hell can you strungle in hell with stuff like that?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Wizard help wanted

So how should I build my Wizard for Inferno?

In general, what stats should I focus on? And how much of each? Most of the bits I've been reading have been about melee classes and what spells should I be using with runes.

What I'm currently running now

Force Armour + % Health
Arcane Orb + Reduce cost
Blizzard + Reduce cost
Diamond Skin + Improved
Magic Weapon + Improved Weapon
Static + Lightning Bolts.

I've just started and I'm not finding it too difficult, outside being locked in the small room with the first mob boss you face in the witch's lair. But I feel like my damage output and in general kiting abilities aren't up there yet.

I've started to look into Resists also, like should I switch my Force Armour over to it? Or use it to improve crit, which knocks up my DPS about 1k.

I just killed
magda
on hell and so far it's ... piss easy ? Is there some spot where it gets seriously harder or wut?

I didn't have much trouble in hell.

2nd, you are way over leveled for act 2 Hell. Both in level and DPS. I was about 3k less DPS and 52 or 53 at best. I think I closed out Act 3 at 58.

Ferrio

Banned
I just killed
magda

My stats

My items aren't even good. Only have a 320 or so dps 1h. I have heard of lvl 56 sc weapons with 1000k dps? How the hell can you strungle in hell with stuff like that?

Act 1 is very very easy compared to all other acts. This goes for all difficulty modes. That said.. I was lvl 50 when I started Hell.

Sothpaw

Your dps is really high for where you are. I had 3k dps and had no issues through Act 2 Hell.

Macmanus

Calculated... to what ends... sell 6 dollar items they ship for free? Ya activision is evil, but I think they could come up with something better than that.

HAHAH! No, sir. You misunderstand. I do not think this is an ActiBlizz conspiracy theory at all. Calculated by a group of like minded hackers.

Wallach

Act 1 is very very easy compared to all other acts. This goes for all difficulty modes. That said.. I was lvl 50 when I started Hell.

That's actually Act 2. Anyway, I don't think it gets hard until Inferno. You'll die a bit to the A2 boss probably, because any lag at all will likely get you obliterated. Besides that and/or a really bad champ roll randomly aggroing you in a bad location you weren't expecting, not much will kill a DH in Hell. Once you are past A2 boss it's mostly a free ride.

Blizzard would likely pay many millions of dollars to just have the account security issues go away.
It's silly. People think Blizzard wants to sell you a $6.50 key fob with free shipping so badly that they'll take a $20-30 CS action to investigate and restore your account? A single CS call can eat up a month or two of WoW revenue, and hacking related CS calls are particularly complex, AND they risk losing the customer because it's a bad experience. Hacking costs them a ton of money.

I just killed
magda

My stats

meh you probably won't have too much trouble until the end of act 3/act 4, and even then it'll be possible.

Macmanus

It's not a vulnurability on their end, or it's at least it's extremely unlikely as it happens with the same frequency in World of Warcraft. It's a hugggeeee market.

They need to pack the auths in a box, at this point really. Blizzard CS is like a small army, due in no small part to this garbage.

It's either that or send someone to your house to bop you on the head when you download a keylogger. Some of these people could use a good bop, though.

I don't disagree with any of this. If I had to bet, it's most likely a man in the middle type of attack with some strong PW brute forcing. If that's the case - Blizzard will eat shit for this because their PW system is garbage. Infinite login attempts coupled with no case sensitivity? That's fucking pathetic for an electronic entertainment behemoth the size of Blizzard.

Jackl

Not everyone has a smartphone, not everyone wants to spend an additional 10€ just so they don't get hacked. This is bullshit imho.

It's the nature of all online endeavors.

People don't realize it but hackers have become much more militant in gaining information then the past. I went 6 years before a account of mine was broken into. I'm not overly an idiot. Update security software, ad block, update software. No suspicious site browsing. Never shared my account.

My only flaw? Used the same password for many accounts.

WoW account was hacked while I was playing Aion.
Aion account while I was fixing my WoW account.
Rift account was hacked in 3 days past release.

All in quick succession. My only saving grace is I was smart enough to use different passwords for my email accounts.

It's really bad out there.

Alex

In Act II hell is when I started getting some of the most ridiculous Affix combos on champs. Clearing out all of the sub dungeons on that difficulty was typically pretty rough for me.

Also just as a heads up on the authenticators, you don't need a smartphone to use the iOS app, it'll work on an iPod touch or iPad as well. I assume it's the same if you have an android tablet.

Sothpaw

It's silly. People think Blizzard wants to sell you a $6.50 key fob with free shipping so badly that they'll take a $20-30 CS action to investigate and restore your account? A single CS call can eat up a month or two of WoW revenue, and hacking related CS calls are particularly complex, AND they risk losing the customer because it's a bad experience. Hacking costs them a ton of money.

It is rare to run into people with even a basic business understanding on videogame forums.

UberTag

The AH is a disaster right now. All expired items and it won't let you do anything. Bring on that real money auction house where actual money is involved!
The AH has been crashing in this manner repeatedly over the course of the week.
All active listings get wiped and unsearchable and a number of new submissions time out after a matter of minutes/hours (instead of 48 hours).

Wallach

actually its over after one death :d.

Nice. Sounds like you had better server luck than me, I had to do like five pulls of last phase to get one where it didn't lag for 1-2 seconds at some point and I exploded when it ended.

I was in a similar-ish position (though I had around 11.5k DPS because I had a -10 lvl req xbow) and it'll go fast from there.

why is the authenticator in the topic? are blizzard accounts really that unsecure that i would need to hassle myself with 2 passwords every time i log in?

I mean i use a regular password system on paypal and PSN accounts and all that and they are just secure and fine without any extra dongles or apps that i have to use everytime...

Macmanus

It's silly. People think Blizzard wants to sell you a $6.50 key fob with free shipping so badly that they'll take a $20-30 CS action to investigate and restore your account?

Does anyone actually think this, or was this line of thought spawned from my poorly worded post earlier that got misinterpreted as me wearing a tin foil hat?

KarmaCow

Crap I bought 6 different weapons for my Monk because I thought I just missed it but it was just the AH lagging out. I bought them cheap (I think) so hopefully I can maybe make a profit.

Found this post on Battle.net forums on a Non-Bear Non-VQ Witch Doctor Inferno build.

I'm only in NM but I'm looking forward to giving this build a try as mixing & matching CC's to stay alive sounds like a lot more fun that just spamming right click non-stop for everything. Sorry if this has been posted already.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271599319?page=1

I haven't reached Inferno but I was worried about WD boiling down to a shitty Wizard with VQ-Zombie Bear spam. This is more what I expected from WDs in that it's crowd control focused but it's a shame that pets are so useless.

Oh wow thanks for this. I don't have a smartphone, the dial in version is US only and I don't really want to spend another ~$20 to get an authenticator shipped here. If I read the FAQ right, it's only less secure in that a person with physical access to your computer could still log in, so it's safe against key loggers?

Before all the account stuff I had no idea how rampant account theft was in Blizzard games. It's bizzare. When I played WoW back in vanilla a couple of people I know got their account stolen, but that was because they shared their account with people they only knew on the internet. I run anti-virus/malware/spyware scans every week, avoid stupid links/websites but apparently that isn't enough? I don't understand how it seems to be just Blizzard that has this problem when there are surely more profitable things to steal.

kpeezy

Banned
I don't disagree with any of this. If I had to bet, it's most likely a man in the middle type of attack with some strong PW brute forcing. If that's the case - Blizzard will eat shit for this because their PW system is garbage. Infinite login attempts coupled with no case sensitivity? That's fucking pathetic for an electronic entertainment behemoth the size of Blizzard.

Nah, almost all of it seems to be keyloggers. Blizzard can't do shit about someone having a keylogger on their machine, other than force the RSA tokens into the retail box like Alex mentioned a few posts ago.

Realyn

Nice. Sounds like you had better server luck than me, I had to do like five pulls of last phase to get one where it didn't lag for 1-2 seconds at some point and I exploded when it ended.

I was in a similar-ish position (though I had around 11.5k DPS because I had a -10 lvl req xbow) and it'll go fast from there.

What I meant was ... I'm playing HC. So there won't be a second death. Fucking
Belial
on hell is the thing I was scared of the most. Guess I'll ask a meele for help.

If you have some time, could you do me a favor and check for howmuch he hits in phase3 against 40% dmg red?

pigeon

Banned
The hacking thing is a serious communication problem for Blizzard, because in reality, almost nobody gets their account stolen because of a "hack" -- they almost always get keylogged or phished. But as long as people keep calling it hacking, they'll keep blaming Blizzard, because hacking is something that happens to big companies and their bad programs -- not users and their lax security practices.

That said, while people should get authenticators, I'm starting to think that this is really the point at which Blizzard should've put an authenticator in the box -- especially for people outside of America, it seems to be much more of a sticking point than I had thought it would be.

Also, given the number of people who are saying things like "the RMAH really ought to require an authenticator," I'm kind of curious as to what the reaction is going to be when it comes out and people realize that it DOES require an authenticator. (At least according to the FAQ.)

Macmanus

Nah, almost all of it seems to be keyloggers. Blizzard can't do shit about someone having a keylogger on their machine, other than force the RSA tokens into the retail box like someone mentioned a few posts ago.

Makes sense.

I wonder where all these people are are nabbing the malware from?

inky

Meh, AH crapped itself again. Seriously Blizzard, is like you don't know how to run these types of games.

On an aside, anyone else feels like female monk armor sets get progressively worse? Other than the helms, tiers 2/3/4 are extremely good looking. My favorites from all the game I'd say.

Ferrio

Banned
That said, while people should get authenticators, I'm starting to think that this is really the point at which Blizzard should've put an authenticator in the box -- especially for people outside of America, it seems to be much more of a sticking point than I had thought it would be.

I used to think that too... but I don't think it'd solve anything. Just look at people in these topics, they think the authenticator isn't needed and they'll be fine with the password that has served them for so long already. There'd be tons of authenticators that'd go to waste.

Blizz would lose out on money shipping them in every box for no benefit because:

1.Lots of people without them still wouldn't take advantage of them. (having people follow good security is hard, since they think it's inconvenient)
2. There's already tons of people that own them already
3. There's tons of people who have access to smartphones.

So they'd still have to respond to CS calls due to #1 which costs them money (which they do already) ontop of all the authenticators they shipped out.

pigeon

Banned
Makes sense.

I wonder where all these people are are nabbing the malware from?

Diablo III sites, almost certainly. As somebody commented earlier, the limiting factor with a keylogger is that you don't generally know what people are typing their information INTO. So if you want to target Diablo III accounts, the best way to do it is to make a flash keylogger disguised as a banner ad and buy ad space on a website Diablo III players are likely to go to, like a fansite or wiki.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did a mod change the OT-title? What was it before?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
why is the authenticator in the topic? are blizzard accounts really that unsecure that i would need to hassle myself with 2 passwords every time i log in?

I mean i use a regular password system on paypal and PSN accounts and all that and they are just secure and fine without any extra dongles or apps that i have to use everytime...
Once a week on an authorised PC, actually. The horror.

Alex

Because no one is going to steal from a bank/credit card/payment service and no one wants your PSN junk, also your PSN junk is also on a closed PS3, not a Windows computer.

Blizzard stuff is stolen and traded constantly, as I and other people keep saying it's a gigantic market

Wallach

What I meant was ... I'm playing HC. So there won't be a second death. Fucking
Belial
on hell is the thing I was scared of the most. Guess I'll ask a meele for help.

If you have some time, could you do me a favor and check for howmuch he hits in phase3 against 40% dmg red?

Ahhhh, right. You should survive a single hit of anything (I think), but if he tags you with the third hit of the combo swing you could be cutting it kind of close. I remember taking a few 30-31k hits but I don't have the mitigation you do either. Just don't psych yourself out, because for the most part he telegraphs pretty hard; if you are going in solo, be near the middle-ish against the back for the last phase, and move accordingly. Don't be afraid to double SS to get through a bad floor phase because that shit hurts in Hell.

balddemon

Banned
i dont think the dial-in authenticator works. they're supposed to make you call in everytime you log in to play a game right? it's not doing that.

i guess i'll just get the app, does it work with wifi on ipod touch?

IJoel

Quick Q: Are non-weapon off-hand items (say wizard source), considered weapons when it comes to jewels (will it take the dmg, or str bonus from a red gem?)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'd still like to point out that no other game in existance requires this, nor does any other subscription/log-in service like Paypal/eBay! Seems like overkill to me over one game :p
It was super necessary for me when I only played WoW. Now my B.net account has SC2, WoW and D3, it's even more worth it now :3

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'd still like to point out that no other game in existance requires this, nor does any other subscription/log-in service like Paypal/eBay! Seems like overkill to me over one game :p

Blizzard accounts tend to be worth a decent amount and can be sold easily, and nobody is going to come after the people doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom