• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
After doing some research I'm finding that you will indeed find more magic items (sort of the point of MF amirite), but it doesn't look like the stat rolls are affected. I'd be interested in evidence to the contrary but the only way I'd think MF gets you better quality items is that you're just taking more spins of the loot wheel, so you've got more chances to get a better roll than otherwise.

If its like d2 (which I think it is) than it just increases the chances of getting blue yellow green or orange items. But the stats are random.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I can't believe Athene had his password macro'd, used his girlfriends name (I believe) + his birth year, and didn't have an authenticator, all while streaming his computer screen to thousands of people. How fucking stupid can you be?

I can't even understand why him of all people would have some a simple password and no auth.

scy

the companions, are they useless after normal? i kinda dont want to part with my healbot templar

There's literally no reason to not use them.

Well, they'll do stupid things like attack Treasure Goblins when you're not ready but, other than that, no reason to not use them. They get ridiculous returns on their stats (2.5 times the listed amount) so you can push obscene stats on them if you gear them right.

Cagey

Banned
Only act 1 so far since I've heard the horror stories of act2+, but my friend and I usually team up well together. I find it hard to take down elites as a monk by myself since my DPS isn't great, but my abilities allow me to survive long enough for a DH to do a lot of damage.

I'm sure act 2 where your melees can get 1-shotted easily basically makes ranged characters have to put in the effort of 2 or more people for the kills.

Yes, Act 2 is where my group's progress (four people) died. We got to Act 3 when our progress died by "corpse-leaping" our way from the Ancient Waterways quest to Belial. Right after that, Act 3 bent us over.

We needed to spend a full week getting new items to even try and progress legitimately. Even with huge gear upgrades and completely changing character builds, we can't make any progress as a foursome, but as a pair (DH/Monk today) we were moving briskly. It's pretty annoying, since we wanted to do this together as a group of friends.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My Skill right now.

Magic Missile With Seaker.
Arcane Orb with Tap the Source
Venom Hydra
Diamond Skin with the Rune that makes it shield for 20k damage.
Teleport with the Rune that makes two Illusions when used (I think the rune is required to break Jail, and the Illusions do distract enemy agrow)
Energy Armor with the rune that gives +40% All Resistance (Making it so you get a Total of +65% Armor and +40% Magic Resist)

Blur, 20% Melee Damage Reduction
Asteral Presence, 20 Arcane Energy and +2 Arcane per second (Mainly to counter the -20 from Energy Armor)
Galvanizing Ward, for the 310 HP Per second

I am using the Templar as my follower, with the following:
Heal (4500 Heal)
Loyalty (Anther 155 HP Regen)
Charge (A two second stun)
Guardian (Anther 4500 heal)

With Force Armor on, I have:
35k HP
12k Damage

6000 Armor
Average of 500 Resistance
14% Dodge
15% Block Chance for 1550-1950

Gives roughly 300k EHP.

Deadly

the companions, are they useless after normal? i kinda dont want to part with my healbot templar
I think they're still viable all the way until the end of hell? They should definitely still be of relative use in nightmare.
I can't even understand why him of all people would have some a simple password and no auth.
I'm surprised he didn't have an authenticator especially since he was a big WoW player. I thought the authenticator was basically obligatory in WoW due to there being so many hackers?

So, I have a fully unlocked 3 tab stash that is full with mediocre 20/30s level yellows (+2 mule characters). I can't really sell them on the AH (i've tried at VERY low buyouts) and I'm not going to save them for a new character i may or may not level (I already have three, 2 in nightmare and 1 in hell).

Should I just salvage them or sell them to a vendor? I feel kind of dirty doing that, but the glut in my stash is getting tedious to manage.

Worthless, pretty much. Try salvaging, but I'm not sure what they result in. If you can get any hoofs of those ivory drops from 'em, it'll be worth it.

HenryHSH

Yes, Act 2 is where my group's progress (four people) died. We got to Act 3 when our progress died by "corpse-leaping" our way from the Ancient Waterways quest to Belial. Right after that, Act 3 bent us over.

We needed to spend a full week getting new items to even try and progress legitimately. Even with huge gear upgrades and completely changing character builds, we can't make any progress as a foursome, but as a pair (DH/Monk today) we were moving briskly. It's pretty annoying, since we wanted to do this together as a group of friends.

The scaling is so bad for multiplayer. It kind of discourages coop play on inferno.

My friends and I stopped doing 4 player and just team up for boss fights (But I'm currently an act ahead so I'm stuck farming) :(

oktarb

Pre-Inferno info is no longer needed, thx.

I don't support this kind of elitist BS. Many people are still playing pre-inferno and would like help. If you desire a special room to play with your inferno only friends make one. This is the OT where we can and do talk about the game in its entirety.

v0mitg0d

Last night I went toe-to-toe with Diablo on Inferno and it was the first time I felt really challenged by a boss fight.

Time was ticketing so I called in a friend and together we took him down. Now I'm starting Hell and I think I need a good suggestion for a Witch Doctor on Hell

HALP!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

They are mostly useless for Damage, what you want them for are their abilities though.

Templar can Tank, has a stun, and decent amount of healing. Also has the option for anther heal or additional resource regen.

Entrantress has several disables, and can increases armor/resistance by 15%, and attack speed by 3%.

Scoundrel has Crit Chance Aura.

I don't think highly of the Scoundrel.

My Skill right now.

Magic Missile With Seaker.
Arcane Orb with Tap the Source
Venom Hydra
Diamond Skin with the Rune that makes it shield for 20k damage.
Teleport with the Rune that makes two Illusions when used (I think the rune is required to break Jail, and the Illusions do distract enemy agrow)
Energy Armor with the rune that gives +40% All Resistance (Making it so you get a Total of +65% Armor and +40% Magic Resist)

Blur, 20% Melee Damage Reduction
Asteral Presence, 20 Arcane Energy and +2 Arcane per second (Mainly to counter the -20 from Energy Armor)
Galvanizing Ward, for the 310 HP Per second

I am using the Templar as my follower, with the following:
Heal (4500 Heal)
Loyalty (Anther 155 HP Regen)
Charge (A two second stun)
Guardian (Anther 4500 heal)

With Force Armor on, I have:
35k HP
12k Damage

6000 Armor
Average of 500 Resistance
14% Dodge
15% Block Chance for 1550-1950

Gives roughly 300k EHP.

I have approximately the same build. Sub out Tap The Source for Celestial Orb and Astral Presence for Glass Cannon.

37k HP
48K damage
3000 Armor
350 resist

or something like that.

KKRT00

And that's the other problem, you have to gear up on the AH just so you can get anywhere in Inferno.

Doing Act one I have had nothing drop which has been of any use to me at all.

KKRT00 I'm also on Act 1 can try and party up when servers are back up, but with the scaling in this game its probably guna end up worse lol

KKRT#2678 :)

If anyone is on Inferno on EU servers and want to party up, add me please :)

LOL Athene stream is hilarious now :)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I think they're still viable all the way until the end of hell? They should definitely still be of relative use in nightmare.

I'm surprised he didn't have an authenticator especially since he was a big WoW player. I thought the authenticator was basically obligatory in WoW due to there being so many hackers?
Some guilds wont let people join without one, or at least be high ranked. After raiding for years, paying a monthly sub, a 1 time fee of like 8-10$ or a free app is something most people are going to do with all the hacking going around.

Edit: I think there's even a guild UI feature where you can restrict non auth accounts.

So yeah it's really weird to me he didn't have one.

Shouta

Scoundrel has the best damage of the bunch, it seems. I haven't upgraded mine in a while but 3.9k DPS is a nice addition to my monk's own, normally.

LOL yea I can't see me beating him on my own.

Besides getting something worth selling and something worth using are too different things.

If you want to group up I run them like every evening from 9:30 Pacific time on US server for about 3-4 hours. As long as your gear is decent and you can kill skeleton king with no problem it shouldn't be too bad, I do it with a second person and we have probelms with some of the champs sometimes, but never enough that we can't kill something.

LiK

I don't support this kind of elitist BS. Many people are still playing pre-inferno and would like help. If you desire a special room to play with your inferno only friends make one. This is the OT where we can and do talk about the game in its entirety.

your advice is fine. don't worry about it. like Blizz says, only 1.9% players unlocked Inferno.

scy

Nitpick but it's not Magic Resist. It's all Damage Resistance. Resistances include Physical mitigation just like Armor includes Magical mitigation.

As for the rest, if it works for you, it works. I have close to the same stats but less Resists (~200, need to get them to 315 for the sweet spot of 50% mitigation) and about 20k more DPS and 8k more HP. Act 1 Inferno is still pretty much a joke barring the occasional bad Champ pack and Act 3 was pretty rough with my low DPS :/

To be honest, the returns at >3150 Armor, >315 Resist aren't worth major damage sacrifices for. Especially for a class like Wizard that can just kite away without issue.

jkoch

If anyone here doesn't have an auth and have it set to use it everytime you log in, you will get hacked sooner or later and it will be your fault

My fault? I've never gotten hacked in any other game (and I played WoW and a bunch of other MMOs) or in any way ever. I bought the stupid authenticator after I got hacked, but why should I have to spend $6.50 more plus have more crap on my desk, when something like that isn't required for my bank, brokerage accounts, retail accounts, etc.

Oh nice, they lowered maximum Auction time from 48 hours to 36.

Still wish we could cancel though.

yeah, cancel if there's no bid, no one gets screwed. if an item (especially lower level) isn't selling in 5 hours, it's not going to sell in 48. i really wish i could cancel some of my auctions...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have approximately the same build. Sub out Tap The Source for Celestial Orb and Astral Presence for Glass Cannon.

37k HP
48K damage
3000 Armor
350 resist

or something like that.

Looking at your stuff, you have 4x as much damage as me, but half the EHP. How are you fairing in Act II and up? Act I is a cake walk for me, but Act II seemed to still hit a bit to hard. Maybe a bit slow, but not to hard save for the odd Elite.

scy

It's fine, not everyone is in Inferno. We really should just note levels though. Some builds just don't work anymore come Inferno (and, likewise, some builds at Inferno just don't work earlier due to gear requirements).

Scoundrel has the best damage of the bunch, it seems. I haven't upgraded mine in a while but 3.9k DPS is a nice addition to my monk's own, normally.

Yeah, it's not bad. My Enchantress has like 2k DPS and 50k HP? Wish her Aura was better than 3% Attack Speed but I can't complain too much.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
My fault? I've never gotten hacked in any other game (and I played WoW and a bunch of other MMOs) or in any way ever. I bought the stupid authenticator after I got hacked, but why should I have to spend $6.50 more plus have more crap on my desk, when something like that isn't required for my bank, brokerage accounts, retail accounts, etc.
WoW, and now Diablo, are high hacking targets because of the money that can be made from selling gold. The constant battle has been going on for years between blizzard and botters, hackers, gold sellers, etc.

A lot less riskier business than stealing credit cards I'd assume...

Ferrio

Banned

Isn't required on Diablo either.

Jinko

KKRT#2678 :)

If anyone is on Inferno on EU servers and want to party up, add me please :)

Aww damn you're on EU server, guess I should level my wizard at some point >.>

Anyone know is it possible to have two version of the client installed to one PC, different folder names ? (ie EU and US)

Aesthet1c

I really hope they patch inferno to be a 1:1 scaling with co-op.

I've been playing almost entirely solo trying to level to catch up to my friends, looking forward to going through Inferno with everyone. With the way it scales though, it sounds like I'll just be stuck soloing inferno more. Why even make this game multiplayer if you are going to discourage playing with other people.

zlatko

Banned

I've been playing almost entirely solo trying to level to catch up to my friends, looking forward to going through Inferno with everyone. With the way it scales though, it sounds like I'll just be stuck soloing inferno more. Why even make this game multiplayer if you are going to discourage playing with other people.

*shrug* Hasn't discouraged me. I've had plenty of co op sessions since the game came out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, but he has the worst Utility IMO. He has a slow, a blind (Which only stops physical attacks), and Crit Bonuses. If you want Damage he is the best though.

scy

*shrug* Hasn't discouraged me. I've had plenty of co op sessions since the game came out.

Inferno is the only time when it's rough. And, even then, it's really just at 3-4 players with "good" gear. At "this stuff is trivial" gear, 4 player Inferno isn't that bad.

Yeah, but he has the worst Utility IMO. He has a slow, a blind (Which only stops physical attacks), and Crit Bonuses. If you want Damage he is the best though.

Crit bonus is pretty good utility for certain classes. Though, Enchantress +Armor is just too good in the current state of Inferno.

Mobile app version is free, if you have a wow account you are linked through your email, which means it's even easier for you to get hacked, I know Blizz should make it standard and their security is lacking but the tools are there, so why wouldn't you use them

Cagey

Banned

Scaling plus a lack of obvious inter-class synergies is the issue. Diablo II had clear synergies to exploit, such as the D2X launch hardcore ladder busting Sorc/Necro/Pally trio (those were the days). Of course, that was an extreme example, but even nerfed it still made for a fun time to have distinct roles that multiplied each player's effectiveness.

Now, it's just characters playing alongside other characters with no real teamwork beyond the occasional Generic Buff from the Monk.

Cipherr

Vast majority are pre-inferno. On that Blizzard blog update they said something like 1% of accounts have entered Inferno as of that date. I mean wow.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Mobile app version is free, if you have a wow account you are linked through your email, which means it's even easier for you to get hacked, I know Blizz should make it standard and their security is lacking but the tools are there, so why wouldn't you use them

Not everyone has a smartphone, you know.

Isn't required on Diablo either.

You are right, it isn't, but the way blizzard PR responds to these attacks make it sound like it should be required. Their typical response after a hacking is something along the lines of "We will restore your account after you meet the security changes including enabling an authenticator" and not to mention, typical responses to such cases on the forums have been "You didn't have an authenticator so it was your own fault". That in itself is an admission of necessity.

At this point, it really should be a required item and a physical authenticator should ship with every boxed version of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom