• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
the "unofficial" one is equivalent to the official one, the difference being that one runs on your phone, the other runs on your mobile device.

Mobile devices can be rooted and your mobile authenticator compromised.
Your PC can be rooted and WinAuth compromised.

But here's the deal. If your PC is rooted, then your mobile authenticator isn't helping you anyway, so WinAuth is no less secure or safe than the official authenticator.

Sure, I already mentioned that the PC authenticator is insecure. However, Blizzard actually say that they cant be held liable for any problems that occur with the "inofficial" authenticator.

And even what you said, all that just goes down to: Blizzard should include the physical authenticator with every purchase of the game for free, since, apparently, they cant get their account security to work without it.

Dahbomb

Ipod touch works too.

Unrelated question: Has anyone ever had this happen: Your gear is all broken (red symbol at top right), you go to merchant to do 'repair all' and all of a sudden you lose 75% of your health? I wonder if this is a bug or not.
I don't think it's a bug. What happens is that when your gear is broken/red, it is essentially unequipped from you. You don't get it's stats meaning your health pool is going to be lower (like 5K max health instead of like 12K or whatever).

When you fix it, then your equipment becomes equipped again. Your maximum health it returned to 12K but your current health is 5K meaning you still have 7K health to recover back to get to maximum.

The same thing happens when you equip an item with higher vitality stats than one you had previously.

And WE IN THERE!!!

scy

Hrmm, might try that. I'm only on Act 3 Hell, so DS has still been very useful as pretty much a second potion for me. I think because DS has never really left my bar since I got it, I never really considered taking it out for MI. I pretty much only interchanged Teleport and MI when making builds, and once I got the Fracture rune for Teleport, I hardly touched MI again. I never really considered having both, but it makes good sense with the Illusionist passive.

I'd give it a shot but I find Diamond Skin still useful in Hell. Come Inferno, it doesn't last long enough for my tastes and I'd rather have the double jail break.

Question for you, does that arcane hydra/arcane orb build I posted continue to be viable for Inferno? It's pretty much tearing through Hell so I assume it would, but have yet to experience the difficulty first hand. I'm mainly worried if Temporal Flux alone is enough as a 30% snare, or if I'll have to switch to frost hydra since I believe the snares stack.

I don't run any snare and still kite on my Wizard :x Arcane Orb/Arcane Hydra was a build I was planning to try but I never got around to it once I started my Attack Speed + Shock Pulse build.

Czigga

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of it, the whole point of an authenticator is an external form of security, if your PC has spyware of keyloggers this changes nothing.

Yeah but the authenticator number cycles every 30 sec. So even if you DID have a keylogger it doesn't matter because the 'password' you typed that they logged has already expired.

It still helps tremendously against acct hacking. And if your PC is so infected with spyware that they can actually SEE what's on your screen (IE the authenticator PW) then you have a lot bigger problems than your lvl 45 wizard getting jacked.

Torraz

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of it, the whole point of an authenticator is an external form of security, if your PC has spyware of keyloggers this changes nothing.

Then run it from a notebook. ;)

:edit: Also, what Czigga said in the post above.

scy

And even what you said, all that just goes down to: Blizzard should include the physical authenticator with every purchase of the game for free, since, apparently, they cant get their account security to work without it.

While there are some things they need to do for passwords (I dunno, case sensitivity would be neat? And at least e-mail authorization if on a different IP than normal), the majority of lost accounts are from people falling for scams and other nonsense rather than an issue on Blizzard's end.

...still should have gotten one in the CE though. Bastards.

Was cracking up at the templar running around in act 2 inferno last night. He just kept running into poison pools and getting ko'ed instantly. Every few seconds I'd hear "I do not fear pai...uggh" "fear not I am ba..uggh"

snack

XLlZX.jpg

Trying to sell this, anyone want?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
While there are some things they need to do for passwords (I dunno, case sensitivity would be neat? And at least e-mail authorization if on a different IP than normal), the majority of lost accounts are from people falling for scams and other nonsense rather than an issue on Blizzard's end.

...still should have gotten one in the CE though. Bastards.

The reasoning is that Blizzard basically replies with "Well you dont have an authenticator? BAD! Use one!"

...which makes it seem pretty damn essential.

Torraz

So my monk (~29-30k HP) (10k dps (can be buffed to 11-17k temporarily) and 250 resist all cant progress solo in inferno. Can't progress in a group either because they always break up after the shattered crown (1-3). What do I focus on?

Now that I have found a 650 dps onehander with 450 life on hit I can actually fight back unless the enemy has fire chains, molten, plague etc....

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yeah but the authenticator number cycles every 30 sec. So even if you DID have a keylogger it doesn't matter because the 'password' you typed that they logged has already expired.

It still helps tremendously against acct hacking. And if your PC is so infected with spyware that they can actually SEE what's on your screen (IE the authenticator PW) then you have a lot bigger problems than your lvl 45 wizard getting jacked.
You're not limited to 30 seconds to enter the code before it cycles off the screen. It lasts somewhere between 1-4 minutes.

Shouta

So my monk (~29-30k HP) (10k dps (can be buffed to 11-17k temporarily) and 250 resist all cant progress solo in inferno. Can't progress in a group either because they always break up after the shattered crown (1-3). What do I focus on?

Now that I have found a 650 dps onehander with 450 life on hit I can actually fight back unless the enemy has fire chains, molten, plague etc....

Get your resist up to 550ish, get a more powerful weapon, and work on a method of healing, Life Per Spirit Spent or Life on Hit.

scy

Trying to sell this, anyone want?

Hm ... MF% Weapon ...

The reasoning is that Blizzard basically replies with "Well you dont have an authenticator? BAD! Use one!"

...which makes it seem pretty damn essential.

What else can they say besides the rest, though? Don't fall for scams, use a better password, etc. etc.? And they do say all that, incidentally, and just add "Hey, use an authenticator and this will never happen again." I don't think them suggesting a permanent solution means that they're blaming people for not using it.

Any blame for not having an authenticator is pretty silly, though. And I do think it'd at least have been a nice gesture to send an authenticator to people who did get hacked.

Ferrio

Banned

A ton more resists I'd wager.

zlatko

Banned
Was cracking up at the templar running around in act 2 inferno last night. He just kept running into poison pools and getting ko'ed instantly. Every few seconds I'd hear "I do not fear pai...uggh" "fear not I am ba..uggh"

Templar is my bro. He's brosiden of the brocean, but the ONE awesome item I found my entire play through of this game is for my Scoundrel. It's one of the follower items, it's rare, and has god like stats, so I've been using Scoundrel ever since.

I miss the glory and honor. :(

scy

Get your resist up to 550ish, get a more powerful weapon, and work on a method of healing, Life Per Spirit Spent or Life on Hit.

Reminds me, I saw a 900 DPS Weapon with ~800 Life on Hit and a +300 Life on Hit Gem in it for "only" like 5M Gold.

:(

inky

Considering how rare Legendary drops are, it boggles my mind that they're not worth at least $10k to the NPC merchants.

Blizz site said:
Item Quality

Legendary items are colored orange. These items are the things of myth, and are extremely rare, but immensely powerful. If you are fortunate enough to find one, rejoice!

The stuff of legends that sword right there.

LukeSmith

Couple of choices:
Reroll Wizard

Or

Get more Resist all gear
Get more Resist <Magic Type> Gear and use One With Everything
Get more Dexterity
Get your Attack speed way up and use Fists of Thunder

I leveled a Wizard to 60 after we finished Act 2 Inferno boss. Monks are super gear dependent (both melee are, actually), and without fast weapons, high dex, high resist, high attack speed, it's going to be a rough go.

zlatko

Banned

Have you tried to focus on this?:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/

scy

~315 is a minimum for resists (50% Mitigation) for Inferno; after that, just try to keep it and your Armor close (e.g., 5k Armor == 500 Resists). I think my Monk did all of Act 1 Inferno with little trouble at ~4000 Armor/400 Resists? Something around that, anyway.

Ramirez

Unrelated question: Has anyone ever had this happen: Your gear is all broken (red symbol at top right), you go to merchant to do 'repair all' and all of a sudden you lose 75% of your health? I wonder if this is a bug or not.

If your gear is broken, you don't have any of the stats, so it's just the stats reactivating I would assume.

scy

Actually, my company won't allow me to install any apps on my phone.

On your own phone or on a company phone? I assume the latter but ...

For a weapon I could switch to when opening chests (for the additional MF) I offer...ten....thousand....gold coins.

Duntttt dunnttttt Dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Sad part is, I'd probably give it to my Templar.

JJD

Templar is my bro. He's brosiden of the brocean, but the ONE awesome item I found my entire play through of this game is for my Scoundrel. It's one of the follower items, it's rare, and has god like stats, so I've been using Scoundrel ever since.

I miss the glory and honor. :(

Hahaha! Poetic justice!

Last night I went toe-to-toe with Diablo on Inferno and it was the first time I felt really challenged by a boss fight.

Time was ticketing so I called in a friend and together we took him down. Now I'm starting Hell and I think I need a good suggestion for a Witch Doctor on Hell

HALP!
You didn't mention what level you are, but here's what's working really well for me on Act 1 - Inferno. If you are lower than level 53, simply swapping out to a different rune like Jaunt for Spirit Walk will make this build usable at level 39.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZdRUk!VeW!aaYZcZ

tough guy.

why work with a build that you can't use later? Just creates bad habits. But do you, by all means. You're a tough guy.
One of my favorite aspects of this game so far (currently level 52 on my Monk in hell) is playing around with different builds and changing things up as I progress. It's not like an intricate fighting game where you have to memorize complex button inputs or anything, you can just switch a few skills out and get adjusted in hardly any time at all. It's obvious that the game is made to support this style of play, even.

It doesn't bother me at all to think that the build I'm using right now won't be viable when I'm playing in Inferno at level 60. Actually it's quite the opposite --- I find it exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom