• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Inferno is the only time when it's rough. And, even then, it's really just at 3-4 players with "good" gear. At "this stuff is trivial" gear, 4 player Inferno isn't that bad.

Crit bonus is pretty good utility for certain classes. Though, Enchantress +Armor is just too good in the current state of Inferno.

I tried swapping out Enchantress and Templar, and I found that simply the Templar tanking and heals worked out better then the +Armor. I bet Enchantress would be great for Melee Characters though.'

Wait Scoundrel does 4k dmg ?

And my freaking lvl 60 templar has a 100 dps ?

Mine does 1k, and I don't even try that hard to give him damage. I mainly just try to tank him up (Has 50k HP, and I mostly give him my old equipment, since I go 1H/Shield for a Wizard)

Just, give him some Gear. The Relics usually give really good stats, and they get a 2.5x bonus on stats.

Not everyone has a smartphone, you know.

Ipod touch works too.

Unrelated question: Has anyone ever had this happen: Your gear is all broken (red symbol at top right), you go to merchant to do 'repair all' and all of a sudden you lose 75% of your health? I wonder if this is a bug or not.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Free PC authenticator here: http://code.google.com/p/winauth/

No excuses anymore :p.

I am using that too, but Blizzard doesnt officially support or endorse it, so its not an official way to secure your account. Blizzard should have a free PC version.

But that is still besides the point since having the authenticator on your PC is less safe than having an additional physical authenticator. It should be included in every purchased D3 box, period.

JambiBum

Scaling plus a lack of obvious inter-class synergies is the issue. Diablo II had clear synergies to exploit, such as the D2X launch hardcore ladder busting Sorc/Necro/Pally trio (those were the days). Of course, that was an extreme example, but even nerfed it still made for a fun time to have distinct roles that multiplied each player's effectiveness.

Now, it's just characters playing alongside other characters with no real teamwork beyond the occasional Generic Buff from the Monk.

I have no idea where you get the no teamwork thing from. Maybe if you are playing in public games you will have that issue but at least with my group we buff and use teamwork all the time. As the WD of the group I'm constantly using Big Bad Voodoo to buff damage and movement speed, plus I slow mobs using my other abilities to help the melee classes. I'm constantly getting buffs from our Monk and Barbarian as well. Plus our DH uses that shield bubble thing which lessens the damage we take.

Templar is my "Magic Find Bitch".

You know that all effects like that are reduced by 80% when on a follower right? If you equip your follower with 10% MF, you actually only get 2

zlatko said:
Do not trust this...

Why not? You know it's open source right? It works fine and is just as safe as a mobile authenticator, despite people saying it's "not as good" it's actually equally good

Ferrio

Banned
I am using that too, but Blizzard doesnt officially support or endorse it, so its not an official way to secure your account. Blizzard should have a free PC version.

But that is still besides the point since having the authenticator on your PC is less safe than having an additional physical authenticator. It should be included in every purchased D3 box, period.

Well technically having a PC version (least on the same PC as your game) kinda gets rid of one of the big security factors.

I assume they don't since it undermines the whole point of the authenticator.

edit: Reading comprehension fail.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You don't need a smartphone to use an authenticator

You need a smartphone/iPod to use an official and free authenticator.

Well technically having a PC version (least on the same PC as your game) kinda gets rid of one of the big security factors.

Well, yeah. I wrote that too in the post you quoted, which is why they should include the physical authenticator if basically evey non-authenticator account is prone to getting hacked.

scy

I tried swapping out Enchantress and Templar, and I found that simply the Templar tanking and heals worked out better then the +Armor. I bet Enchantress would be great for Melee Characters though.

I like her Attack Speed for the time being; when I get over 3 APS without her, I'll probably go back to my Templar. Until then, she's nice to have. The +Armor is just a nice bonus.

Aesthet1c

Ipod touch works too.

Unrelated question: Has anyone ever had this happen: Your gear is all broken (red symbol at top right), you go to merchant to do 'repair all' and all of a sudden you lose 75% of your health? I wonder if this is a bug or not.

This is because your gear isn't getting applied when it's broken.

For example, with broken gear you only have 5k health, when you repair your gear you now have a max health of 20k, but your current health is still at 5k. This is what causes that 75% health gap.

Torraz

I agree. They should have bundled one, at the very least with the CE:

I use it with my laptop (which i barely use anymore) for maximum security. No browsing etc goes on there so its as safe as can be.

----

US bn.net is still down for maintenance.

Cagey

Banned
I have no idea where you get the no teamwork thing from. Maybe if you are playing in public games you will have that issue but at least with my group we buff and use teamwork all the time. As the WD of the group I'm constantly using Big Bad Voodoo to buff damage and movement speed, plus I slow mobs using my other abilities to help the melee classes. I'm constantly getting buffs from our Monk and Barbarian as well. Plus our DH uses that shield bubble thing which lessens the damage we take.

1) We have no WD in the group

2) I mentioned Generic Buffs, forgot to list the Barb, but I was referring to legitimate cross-class synergies to tailor your build accordingly, not just "I have a skill that helps teammates" default teamwork thing.

Deadly

Vast majority are pre-inferno. On that Blizzard blog update they said something like 1% of accounts have entered Inferno as of that date. I mean wow.
What I find funny is that the stat they posted state:
80% of characters are between levels 1 and 30
1.9% of characters have unlocked Inferno difficulty
Thing is, I'm pretty sure alot of people created a bunch of mules.

You need a smartphone/iPod to use an official and free authenticator.

the "unofficial" one is equivalent to the official one, the difference being that one runs on your phone, the other runs on your mobile device.

Mobile devices can be rooted and your mobile authenticator compromised.
Your PC can be rooted and WinAuth compromised.

But here's the deal. If your PC is rooted, then your mobile authenticator isn't helping you anyway, so WinAuth is no less secure or safe than the official authenticator.

So, who exactly of the EU server is giving me a thunder shield ? :p

Seriously tough how I one suposed to loot 4M Oo

On a full afternoon of inferno act 1 farm as a barb I max get 150k, not couting repairs.

scy

2) I mentioned Generic Buffs, forgot to list the Barb, but I was referring to legitimate cross-class synergies to tailor your build accordingly, not just "I have a skill that helps teammates" default teamwork thing.

My Monk always used Cyclone Strike due to grouping with a Wizard and WD who swapped to AoE heavy builds.

scy

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of it, the whole point of an authenticator is an external form of security, if your PC has spyware of keyloggers this changes nothing.

Erm, the authenticator code is one-time with a short life; they'd have to intercept the code being entered and then enter it themselves. Merely keylogging your authenticator code doesn't technically do anything for them.

scosher

I'd suggest Mirror Image if only because Diamond Skin absorb stops mattering eventually :/ Just doesn't eat enough damage to warrant the slot in my opinion. Mirror Image gets you a second way to break out of Jail and the AI likes killing them. Plus, it cools down with Illusionist too.

Hrmm, might try that. I'm only on Act 3 Hell, so DS has still been very useful as pretty much a second potion for me. I think because DS has never really left my bar since I got it, I never really considered taking it out for MI. I pretty much only interchanged Teleport and MI when making builds, and once I got the Fracture rune for Teleport, I hardly touched MI again. I never really considered having both, but it makes good sense with the Illusionist passive.

Question for you, does that arcane hydra/arcane orb build I posted continue to be viable for Inferno? It's pretty much tearing through Hell so I assume it would, but have yet to experience the difficulty first hand. I'm mainly worried if Temporal Flux alone is enough as a 30% snare, or if I'll have to switch to frost hydra since I believe the snares stack.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of it, the whole point of an authenticator is an external form of security, if your PC has spyware of keyloggers this changes nothing.

If your PC has spyware or keyloggers your mobile authenticator isn't going to help you.

The authenticator protects primarily against the type of hack where the attacker has obtained your password by, for example, obtaining the password database of a different site or online service and then using that password to log in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom