• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Templar is my bro. He's brosiden of the brocean, but the ONE awesome item I found my entire play through of this game is for my Scoundrel. It's one of the follower items, it's rare, and has god like stats, so I've been using Scoundrel ever since.

I miss the glory and honor. :(

I found rare follower items for Scoundrel AND Enchantress with amazing stats but I don't use them cuz Templar heals and tanks my Wizard. I want to find a rare for my bodyguard lol

scy

It doesn't bother me at all to think that the build I'm using right now won't be viable when I'm playing in Inferno at level 60. Actually it's quite the opposite --- I find it exciting.

Hell, pre-Inferno is the last time you'll probably have the opportunity to even try some of those shitty skills anyway! :x

Actually, there's not too many terrible skills in the game. Runes, sure, but not too many useless skills themselves.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What else can they say besides the rest, though? Don't fall for scams, use a better password, etc. etc.? And they do say all that, incidentally, and just add "Hey, use an authenticator and this will never happen again." I don't think them suggesting a permanent solution means that they're blaming people for not using it.

Any blame for not having an authenticator is pretty silly, though. And I do think it'd at least have been a nice gesture to send an authenticator to people who did get hacked.

Basically what you said. Blizzard is limping out on security measures and need to step up. If they cant manage to do that, the authenticator seems needed for account security and should be included with the game.

Another security measure would be not to have the password entered via keyboard, but via an on-screen keyboard and mouseclicks as it works with my banking account. In the end people are going to have real money on their account, so it should be treated as such by the ones handling it.

Or make such settings optional. Security IS lacking though, and as long as they don't fix that its certainly not only the players faults to get their accounts hacked.

Hell, pre-Inferno is the last time you'll probably have the opportunity to even try some of those shitty skills anyway! :x

Actually, there's not too many terrible skills in the game. Runes, sure, but not too many useless skills themselves.
Exactly! It even influences my decisions when it comes to dual-wielding vs. 1H with a shield. I'm dual-wielding right now knowing full well that it will probably get me in trouble eventually, but until that time comes I'm going to enjoy it for everything it's worth. Doesn't seem like it'll be a hard habit to break (should take a few clicks in my inventory) but that could just be me. ;)

Opiate

Regarding legendary items -- something discussed significantly already but which I hadn't personally analyzed -- my gut response was that it's silly to obsess over orange colored items, but then I decided that, while irrational, most of our enjoyment of this game is silly and irrational, so this complaint is as valid as many others.

I'm sensitive, however, to making blues completely worthless again, and yellows extremely uncommonly useful, as was the case in Diablo 2. Any blues that dropped were not even looked at; I instantly vendored them. So this would be taking the current problem to the equal and opposite extreme.

Instead, I think the ideal solution would be something like this. I'll use simple numbers to explain the idea:

Legendaries are extremely rare, with only a 1 in 1000 chance of dropping, but are almost always very good.

Yellows are fairly rare, but less frequently useful. Yellows would be 1 in 100 chance to drop, but only 1 in 10 is useful.

Blues are quite common, but very infrequently useful. Blues would have a 1 in 10 chance to drop, but only 1 in 100 is useful.

The end result would be that Yellows, Oranges and Blues all have a 1 in 1000 chance of being useful, but reach those results in different ways. This seems ideal to me, so that each type of loot has a different value to it and none of them is completely worthless.

GJS

Jesus fuck what is wrong with this company. Usually im pretty easy going but god damn.

Global play with the Asian server was broken for something like 60 hours as it was a patch behind and then a patch ahead, until the US updated to 1.0.2.9858.

Now it's just the EU behind again.

This is going to happen with every patch.

I have a post on the forum about it but blizzard probably won't respond, as they feel it is better to update the regions on different days.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271786759?page=1

scy

Another security measure would be not to have the password entered via keyboard, but via an on-screen keyboard and mouseclicks as it works with my banking account. In the end people are going to have real money on their account, so it should be treated as such by the ones handling it.

On-screen keyboards aren't that much better (keyloggers still work for some; others just note mouse location during the process). And, sadly, online banking security isn't a great example, what with many opting for pseudo-two factor authorization.

Ferrio

Banned
Was cracking up at the templar running around in act 2 inferno last night. He just kept running into poison pools and getting ko'ed instantly. Every few seconds I'd hear "I do not fear pai...uggh" "fear not I am ba..uggh"

Favorite part in Inferno is when he dies right before an elite pack. So I'm killing a pack with his worthless ass tebowing. A minute passes then he gets up.

Him: "what a monstrous creature"

Late to the party aren't we?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Regarding legendary items -- something discussed significantly already but which I hadn't personally analyzed -- my gut response was that it's silly to obsess over orange colored items, but then I decided that, while irrational, most of our enjoyment of this game is silly and irrational, so this complaint is as valid as many others.

I'm sensitive, however, to making blues completely worthless again, and yellows extremely uncommonly useful, as was the case in Diablo 2. Any blues that dropped were not even looked at; I instantly vendored them. So this would be taking the current problem to the equal and opposite extreme.

Instead, I think the ideal solution would be something like this. I'll use simple numbers to explain the idea:

Legendaries are extremely rare, with only a 1 in 1000 chance of dropping, but are almost always very good.

Yellows are fairly rare, but less frequently useful. Yellows would be 1 in 100 chance to drop, but only 1 in 10 is useful.

Blues are quite common, but very infrequently useful. Blues would have a 1 in 10 chance to drop, but only 1 in 100 is useful.

The end result would be that Yellows, Oranges and Blues all have a 1 in 1000 chance of being useful, but reach those results in different ways. This seems ideal to me, so that each type of loot has a different value to it and none of them is completely worthless.

Those items don't have a different value to them, depending on your definition of useful.

Global play with the Asian server was broken for something like 60 hours as it was a patch behind and then a patch ahead, until the US updated to 1.0.2.9858.

Now it's just the EU behind again.

This is going to happen with every patch.

Just a joke. I cant get onto EU atall. Last time I get to play till next monday aswell.

scy

The problem with a lot of Legendaries (and Sets) is actually just that some of their bonuses are terrible or that their base stats are just bad.

There's a few standouts but that's due to their odd stats (Rings with +Movement, +Attack Speed/Movement on Bracers and Pants, etc.) but the base item is still bad. I still want a Tal Rasha Chest for the +Attack Speed but it also will cost me ~200 INT/VIT unless I get some awesome stat rolls when I find one (/pay for it on the AH because my luck is awful).

It's sad that, outside of those few Legendaries/Sets, any drops I do get are basically, "Hm, I wonder how much someone is willing to pay for this for some reason!" rather than "Neat stats."

Edit: I think the better way to put it is that more Legendary/Sets need to be good because of their base stats rather than hoping they get a good random roll that makes their other stats worth using.

LukeSmith

This made me think of this:

"Simple Changes:
1 - change) Change Legendary items to have a proportional quality level to their drop percentage. This means if a Legendary item drops once in 1000 magical drops (without modification), and a rare drops 1 in 100 magical drops, and a magic item drops once in 1 magic drop. Then Legendary items should be typically better than 999/1000 magic items, and 9/10 rares. Rares should likewise be better than 99/100 magic items. Right now, this is not the case (though you would likely need more statistically data than is possible from this end to prove that - but some simple AH searches seem to corroborate the data that this model is not being followed).

1 - expected effect) Legendary and rare items will now have a commiserate reward to their rarity, and thus carry a player through a longer period of time without a positive gear acquisition experience. In other words - a legendary item drop will be a large enough thrill , often enough, that it can keep a player going through a long dry spell."

Pre-Inferno info is no longer needed, thx.

iL8KWvPjhpNMk.gif

Audioboxer

If you are EU and have downloaded the patch, you are pretty much borked and wont be able to log in

Yeah I'm stuck on retrieving hero list....

Why is shit still soo bad after 2 weeks? This game was simply not ready to come out when it did.

Blizzard should give me a free month of WoW or something to compensate.

Shouta

Alright thanks. Since im not having any luck with the AH I hope the RNG gods will bless me sooner or later... Not much I can farm in act 1.

Would it be better to farm act 3/4 hell?

Act 3/4 Hell is probably best until you get the gear to move around Act 1 Inferno.

Opiate

Those items don't have a different value to them, depending on your definition of useful.

Can you explain how they do not?

Blue value: you get to see a lot of them drop, which prevents you from going insane. If all items were only legendary and you only got 1 item every 1000 monster kills, the game would be boring. The downside is that very few are functionally valuable.

Yellow value: you get a few of them to drop, which prevents you from going insane from getting only 1 in 1000 drops like blues do, but also prevents you from being unhappy with enormous quantities of useless drops. Yellows are useful with enough frequency that even that fastest speedrunner typically takes the time to actually look at them and see.

Legendary: you get very few to drop, but (in theory) the good news is that you almost instantly know they're valuable before you even pick them up and see what they are, which has its own level of excitement.

Those are different values that serve the player in different ways.

Nullpointer said:
Isn't it something like only 2% of players have even unlocked Inferno?

Yes, but I am the 2%, and I will lobby Blizzard hard to make sure that my personal interests are served above the needs of the many.

Yes, but I am the 2%, and I will lobby Blizzard hard to make sure that my personal interests are served above the needs of the many.
As part of the 98% we're planning on occupying your login servers til we get our demands met ;P

Which are... well I'll get to you on my demands.

idlewild_

1.9% of characters, it was also mentioned somewhere in this thread (not sure if that info was backed by a blue post,) that ~80% of characters are between 1-30 in level. Now, I'm not saying that all of those are mules or players who quit in Act 1/2, but the number of active players/accounts in inferno is probably closer to 10% or so. Still not a huge number, but it's a fair amount of the population.

I've found that most reasonable builds work fairly well in hell and lower. By reasonable I mean a balance between CC, nukes and defensive abilities (heals/immunities/etc,) where the particular nuke/cc/cooldown is not necessarily important. Once you're in inferno, though, your build needs to syngergize better and some moves/passives become pretty much required.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think plenty of people that aren't familiar with Diablo will play through the game once, and never touch it again.
Some friends of mine did, an increasing difficulty is not appealing to everyone when it's the same stuff over and over again.

Level 30 is a normal level to finish the game with.

So, I'm dropping my 60 barb 620 resist all, and rerolling. Sorry blizzard but after act & it can't last.

Sooo. I see Wizz and DH everywhere, but how is the WD ?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Can you explain how they do not?

Blue value: you get to see a lot of them drop, which prevents you from going insane. If all items were only legendary and you only got 1 item every 1000 monster kills, the game would be boring. The downside is that very few are functionally valuable.

Yellow value: you get a few of them to drop, which prevents you from going insane from getting only 1 in 1000 drops like blues do, but also prevents you from being unhappy with enormous quantities of useless drops. Yellows are useful with enough frequency that even that fastest speedrunner typically takes the time to actually look at them and see.

Legendary: you get very few to drop, but (in theory) the good news is that you almost instantly know they're valuable before you even pick them up and see what they are, which has its own level of excitement.

Those are different values that serve the player in different ways.

Because if you simply define "useful" as something that your characters can put to good use, and a "useful" blue is roughly equal to a "useful" rare and a "useful" unique, then there is no difference in the items since you will find an equal amount of "useful" items of each type, and the ones you use will be random based on your own personal luck.

But when you factor in the fact that a lot of the blues and yellows that aren't (by your mystical definition) "useful" can still actually have utility, then you have some differentiation. If you get decent blues and yellows much more often that you can sell in the auction house, then they become far more useful overall than legendaries.

But if the only blues you can get any use out of come once out of every 1000 drops, and only the yellows you can use come once out of every 1000 drops, and the legendaries the same, then they are all effectively identical when it comes to item identity and use.

I think that the best magics HAVE to be worse than the best rares and the best rares HAVE to be worse than the best legendaries to make your system interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom