• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackl

I'd still like to point out that no other game in existance requires this, nor does any other subscription/log-in service like Paypal/eBay! Seems like overkill to me over one game :p

Cracking a bank account is a serious federal offense and will likely get the FBI and secret service up your ass.

Cracking a level 60 barbarian? Not so much.

Although as account monetize through the RMAH that may change.

spirity

Authenticator users.. every day, or once a week? I realise every day would be the wisest option, but I'm really lazy. I also realise daily is going to be more secure than weekly. What have you guys went with?

I think it's just once a week unless you pick the option to authenticate every time.

Oh its each time you log on. God damn.

Wallach

i dont think the dial-in authenticator works. they're supposed to make you call in everytime you log in to play a game right? it's not doing that.

i guess i'll just get the app, does it work with wifi on ipod touch?

The dial-in doesn't work for D3, no.

Once the app is setup it won't need a connection unless it desyncs somehow. Works on the Touch for sure.

Quick Q: Are non-weapon off-hand items (say wizard source), considered weapons when it comes to jewels (will it take the dmg, or str bonus from a red gem?)

They are not considered weapons.

Mrbob

i dont think the dial-in authenticator works. they're supposed to make you call in everytime you log in to play a game right? it's not doing that.

i guess i'll just get the app, does it work with wifi on ipod touch?

Yes. I'm running the iphone authenticator app via wi fi on my ipad.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Diablo III sites, almost certainly. As somebody commented earlier, the limiting factor with a keylogger is that you don't generally know what people are typing their information INTO. So if you want to target Diablo III accounts, the best way to do it is to make a flash keylogger disguised as a banner ad and buy ad space on a website Diablo III players are likely to go to, like a fansite or wiki.
I block scripts. There is no keylogger on my computer. My account got hacked. People need to stop speculating that this is the method being used.

kpeezy

Banned
I'd still like to point out that no other game in existance requires this, nor does any other subscription/log-in service like Paypal/eBay! Seems like overkill to me over one game :p

You understand that all of these programs you listed have the exact same vulnerabilities, right? The problem for the large majority of people getting hacked is that their machine is infected with a 'keylogger' and it's sending their keystrokes (passwords, user names, everything) to whoever owns the keylogger. What would stop them from getting onto any other account you have?

edit: obviously, the keylogger can be contracted from anywhere, nothing to do with blizzard.

Askani

Authenticator users.. every day, or once a week? I realise every day would be the wisest option, but I'm really lazy. I also realise daily is going to be more secure than weekly. What have you guys went with?

I had it set to weekly at the start but I changed it to every time a day or two ago. No reason to take extra chances since my authenticator hangs right beside my monitor on one of those retractable cord things. It's too easy to enter for me to be that lazy. I didn't want to be sorry later if something crazy happened.

I had it set to weekly at the start but I changed it to every time a day or two ago. No reason to take extra chances since my authenticator hangs right beside my monitor on one or the retractable cord things. I didn't want to be sorry later if something crazy happened.

Where do you set it? I was curious but I can't find the option.

Once a week on an authorised PC, actually. The horror.

hey i hate that i have to write my password in everytime i log in to the game too :D i'm actually thinking of changing it from my regular complex password into a 12345qwerty or something to make it easier :D

You understand that all of these programs you listed have the exact same vulnerabilities, right? The problem for the large majority of people getting hacked is that their machine is infected with a 'keylogger' and it's sending their keystrokes (passwords, user names, everything) to whoever owns the keylogger. What would stop them from getting onto any other account you have?

Yes, and i haven't heard this much commotion in a long time over any other game/website. So is the Blizzard accounts so unsecure that it leaks and needs an authenticator? That was my original question. Haven't heard anyone having problems with their paypals and facebooks.

pigeon

Banned

The techniques people are using to hack accounts on Diablo III would work just as well for Paypal, eBay, or your online banking website (assuming you could identify a website Paypal users go to all the time that you could put a keylogger on). In fact, I'm pretty sure people get Paypal and eBay phishing emails all the time. Blizzard's security is just as good if not better than any of those (well, except for the case-insensitive passwords, cmon Blizzard what decade is this).

The problem with Blizzard is:
* The stuff on a battle.net account is easily fungible, unlike most other online games...
* ...but it's also not a serious crime and will not get Interpol down on your ass like hacking a bank....
* ...and it's very easy to identify or create websites a Diablo III player might visit and/or things they might download. Much harder for Bank of America members. (Well, I guess buying some ad space on the Consumer Protection Agency's website might garner a few likely bank accounts.)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I can't remember exactly. Something to the effect of "|OT| Why so blue? Oh."
What was the reference supposed to be?

Realyn

Ahhhh, right. You should survive a single hit of anything (I think), but if he tags you with the third hit of the combo swing you could be cutting it kind of close. I remember taking a few 30-31k hits but I don't have the mitigation you do either. Just don't psych yourself out, because for the most part he telegraphs pretty hard; if you are going in solo, be near the middle-ish against the back for the last phase, and move accordingly. Don't be afraid to double SS to get through a bad floor phase because that shit hurts in Hell.

Yeah. In theory he is sooo easy. But being a DH and knowing phase 3 can pretty much fuck you up on HC ... is another thing :[. I allready practiced him on normal and dodged like 3 phase 3's in a row.

Askani

Where do you set it? I was curious but I can't find the option.

Log into your Battle.Net account on the website. There should be a notice about an authenticator attached to your account. Next to that notice, click "Manage Settings" and check the box to force it to every time.

I'm not at home and can't tell you exactly what it says, but that's the gist.

Wallach

People do compromise Paypal/eBay accounts. That is definitely a thing that happens. Paypal more than eBay, as they are used to make stolen CC purchases.

The reason it's much less likely to see, beyond methods employed to protect those accounts on the companies' part, is that the most widespread methods of getting account information aren't good at getting some type of accounts.

With a video game account, it's much easier to put the vulnerability in some place that you think users with accounts for that game will go.

The truth is that it isn't overkill, just a lot of services don't offer you the kind of security that could protect you from certain attacks. Some services have other means that they think is good enough when compared against their incident ratio. That's all.

Won

Got hooked by the Butcher on Inferno and survived! :D

Got hit by some Champion mob in Act 2 and died in one hit. :(

inky

Just missed a 80k, 1100 armor 60 resist all socketed shield

WTF! I was refreshing shield and it just appeared and I'm sure I hit it first =/

Edit: so I just received a couple of other items that timed out as well... but not 80k shield!!! Ugh, I hate this AH.

RDreamer

Got hooked by the Butcher on Inferno and survived! :D

Got hit by some Champion mob in Act 2 and died in one hit. :(

At least it was a champion mob. Those flying things murder me... and then they rape my corpse. That's how badly they kill me. They seriously hit harder than anything in Act 1 Inferno, including champions. I don't get it...

Sothpaw

At least it was a champion mob. Those flying things murder me... and then they rape my corpse. That's how badly they kill me. They seriously hit harder than anything in Act 1 Inferno, including champions. I don't get it...

They are a full level higher than the champions from Act I. Also, Inferno is designed such that each Act represents a cliff in difficulty.

Gila

This worth for 400k then?

oYdrr.jpg

Instro

I block scripts. There is no keylogger on my computer. My account got hacked. People need to stop speculating that this is the method being used.

I'd have hard time believing this is the issue, at least in my case. I haven't visited any dubious sites or diablo fansites for that matter, scripts are blocked and I always have security running. None of my scans have shown anything yet either. I have certainly never had an issue with any of my accounts in the past, including my battlnet account.

Seems like they should have something like Steam Guard in place. I do not have a smart phone, the dial in does not work for D3 apparently, and I'm not interested in buying a keychain. If its such a problematic issue then they should be mailing them out for free and boxing them with their games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That everyone was wearing Blue equipment over Rares and Legendaries because of the current itemization.
That's genius lol

LordCanti

This worth for 400k then?

oYdrr.jpg

That bow would be worth around that, yes. Still no +Dex or anything, but a million less than the other one.

If you wait for a deal, you might be able to get one cheaper, but that's a fair price IMO. For what it's worth.

Edit: Someone recently sold a 955dps one for less than 150. If you can wait, there are deals to be had. That was an abnormal price to be sure, but it happens. That one does have +attack speed though, hmm.

Saying that makes me want to hurt you.

Don't hurt me squidgy ;_;

Really though, it needs to be asked. People need to realize that this isn't happening to people with authenticators.

RDreamer

They are a full level higher than the champions from Act I. Also, Inferno is designed such that each Act represents a cliff in difficulty.

I thought the point of Inferno was that everything was flatly the same level (a really hard level), so you could farm anywhere and you'd be fine? I thought they wanted to curb people from picking one specific place to run over and over, so they made it all the same.

Either way, I was mostly just making a joke about how those small flying thingies can pack a harder punch than some of the huge champion brutes in Act 1. My first time out into Act 2 I literally just flopped dead. Didn't even get a hit in on anything. I was out and I was dead, because I got hit.

Tacitus_

hey i hate that i have to write my password in everytime i log in to the game too :D i'm actually thinking of changing it from my regular complex password into a 12345qwerty or something to make it easier :D

This is why people keep getting hacked. I didn't get hacked a single time during my WoW time and I played from Vanilla to Cata. Didn't add an auth until a year ago when I got a smartphone.
A strong, unique password and some paranoia regarding internet security will keep you safe, but an authenticator is a cheap price to pay for the extra safe of mind.

Alex

Changing maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 under the Nvidia settings took my last few traces of occasional stutter away. Bizarre, I thought it was network related.

Major fix, for anyone having any issues, was disabling the in-game background/foreground FPS limit though. For some reason simply having that enabled made the game run like complete crap for me.

Ferrio

Banned
I'd have hard time believing this is the issue, at least in my case. I haven't visited any dubious sites or diablo fansites for that matter, scripts are blocked and I always have security running. None of my scans have shown anything yet either. I have certainly never had an issue with any of my accounts in the past, including my battlnet account.

Seems like they should have something like Steam Guard in place. I do not have a smart phone, the dial in does not work for D3 apparently, and I'm not interested in buying a keychain. If its such a problematic issue then they should be mailing them out for free and boxing them with their games.

Have you used that password anywhere else?

LordCanti

The AH still won't let me buy anything. Did they fix anything at all before bringing it back up, or was it just a crash/recovery? Ugg.

Wickwire

Mother fucker. My account was just hacked. I kept getting DCd and eventually had to change my password. I did and when I got back everything was gone. lol I had downloaded the authenticator for my phone but never set it up hahaha.... its set up now hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom